PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati post game observations

YardRat
08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I only watched the first quarter, listened to the rest, so any disagreement based on actual observations are welcome...

-Edwards actually looked like a QB.

-Brohm might be toast, unless he gets one more chance next week and really turns it on. If Fitz is performing better in the practices, BB will be selling insurance in September.

-Gailey might actually get something out of Parrish.

-We are obviously stacked at RB. Can you actually take Spiller out of the line-up in favor of Jackson or Lynch after the last two week's performances? Wishful thinking, but hopefully McNeil continues to hold out into the season and we can dump Lynch or Jackson-plus off on San Diego in exchange before the deadline.

-Adjustments on offense, in the first quarter? Cinci shuts down the run, so we quickly switch to the pass to counter? Are we really allowed to do that?

-Our LBers suck, and currently are the weakest link on the team.

-Bruce DeHaven better get his **** together and get these guys downfield, in their lanes, or he'll be the first member of Chan's staff looking for a new job. Also, considering all of the so-called talent for returning the ball we're nothing special there either.

-One penalty in the first half. Discipline is being restored.

-The o-line played fairly well. I'll take it.

-Only preseason, but it's nice to win. W's build confidence, and this young team needs all the support they can get.

Buffalogic
08-28-2010, 09:13 PM
All good points.

I think the linebackers will look better in the regular season when they are blitzing more.

more cowbell
08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Agreed

especially with the point about special teams

wmoz11
08-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Still haven't seen a lot of 3-4 base yet. I'm not sure if that's because we're not good at it or that Gailey wants to hide our look until the regular season. Either way - our secondary will look a lot better when we start blitzing more on early downs.

wmoz11
08-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Something that most of you probably noticed, but stating for effect...

How about our screen plays looking decent? Usually we catch the ball 5 yards behind the LOS and gain about 2.

Jeff1220
08-28-2010, 09:58 PM
That slant (I think it was) that Roscoe caught and took in for his TD was a thing of simple beauty. That play worked EXACTLY as it was designed to work. Under Jauron, if something worked, it seemed like it was just luck.

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 10:00 PM
That slant (I think it was) that Roscoe caught and took in for his TD was a thing of simple beauty. That play worked EXACTLY as it was designed to work. Under Jauron, if something worked, it seemed like it was just luck.

Pretty sure that was a drag. But Lee had a nice catch on a slant.

wmoz11
08-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Not sure if it's just me, but even the touchdowns look better. Stay with me here...

How did the TDs look under Jauron? Most of them were plays where players broke a lot of tackles and squeaked in. They were either long bombs or 1 yarders. When is the last time that we had a 12 yard touchdown pass?

Eventually
08-28-2010, 11:56 PM
For real guys, my beer has started tasting like Kool-Aid. OH YEAHHHHHH

Eventually
08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Another quick observation I had. In Chan's system can any RB look really good. Jackson looked real good on the few plays he had, Lynch looks like Lynch again throughout TC and the few plays he got in, Spillers playing like well, the 9th overall pick in the draft should be playing, Bell has looked like a UDFA steal, Simpson has played up and down but overall he's been extremely impressive, C-Mac looks like a "well we do need a fullback" from years past, to "This guy looks like a Mac Truck out there, a Mac truck who has good hands" and then tonight, maybe I am the only one, but watching anderson, a guy we picked up off the streets because of injury, look really good as well.

Now some of these guys have padded their portfolio's against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but they also had 2nd and 3rd string Buffalo Bills lineman blocking for them, nonetheless they all have impressed me a great deal.

That all said, It has to be Gailey's system, right? There's no way every back looks this good, can there?

SaviorEdwards
08-29-2010, 04:18 AM
our linebackers look like they move slower than some d lineman move.

Buddo
08-29-2010, 04:59 AM
our linebackers look like they move slower than some d lineman move.

ATM, they probably do.
I'm hoping that with the LBers, it's much more to do with the injuries they have either suffered or are recuperating from, and a lack of practice time as a unit. Plus also the traditional 'not showing our hand' excuse, which in respect of blitz packages, could have some merit this year. Can't say I'm wildly optimistic about them for now though.

ddaryl
08-29-2010, 07:32 AM
1st time in 10 years we are showing signs of a real offense

X-Era
08-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Still haven't seen a lot of 3-4 base yet.

I know. Its strange. Do 3-4 teams typically run a Dime defense when they see 3 wides? That would mean a S or LB on the 3rd WR. Seems like it might be a mismatch.

YardRat
08-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I know. Its strange. Do 3-4 teams typically run a Dime defense when they see 3 wides? That would mean a S or LB on the 3rd WR. Seems like it might be a mismatch.

Dime typically is 6 d-backs, 4 corners and two safeties, so there's no reason for #3 WR to be manned-up with a S or LB. Zones could change that, though, but then there really wouldn't be a 'mismatch' there either.