PDA

View Full Version : Spiller=Sanders

NextbillsQB
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Starts a game with - yards and runs backwards, but still will dominate and be great

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 09:34 PM
not so fast my friend.

Joe Fo Sho
08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
After 3 preseason games? See Carnell Williams...

YardRat
08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Doh!

X-Era
08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
not so fast my friend.

I have to agree at this point. As much as I'm excited about him, and my other thread should show that, I cant equate him with much of anything yet.

Spiller has to show he can go against #1 defenses week in and week out and still rack up the yards before I will believe he can be great. I think its true now, but I have to see more proof. I can see the arguments that he is our version of Reggie Bush. He needs to show he is durable enough to earn the starting job and then excel as a starter.

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Barry Sanders was the best running back that set foot on this planet. That said Reggie Bush is no CJ Spiller.

NextbillsQB
08-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I mean style wise, is it not that obvious?

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I mean style wise, is it not that obvious?

If Barry Sanders had Spillers speed he would have rushed for 3000 yards in a season.

The styles are really not even that close. Sorry.

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I love Spiller BTW, and think he could be super special. But lets not get out of hand. He has 20 or so preseason carries.

X-Era
08-28-2010, 09:45 PM
If Barry Sanders had Spillers speed he would have rushed for 3000 yards in a season.

The styles are really not even that close. Sorry.

This comment intrigues me.

Breakdown the differences in styles between the two if you would. I think you're on to something.

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Breakdown the differences in styles between the two if you would. I think you're on to something.

Barry had better balance and vision. His center of gravity was better also, ala Emmitt Smith. Build was a bit better for inside running. That guys thighs were as big around as Aaron Maybins waist. Now what is similar between Sanders and Spiller is the acceleration from stopped to full speed. They have similar acceleration but Spiller has the better top end speed making him lethal in the open field.

There is a start......

Crisis
08-28-2010, 09:52 PM
welcome back mitchell :up:

X-Era
08-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Barry had better balance and vision. His center of gravity was better also, ala Emmitt Smith. Build was a bit better for inside running. That guys thighs were as big around as Aaron Maybins waist. Now what is similar between Sanders and Spiller is the acceleration from stopped to full speed. They have similar acceleration but Spiller has the better top end speed making him lethal in the open field.

There is a start......

:clap:

I like it.

X-Era
08-28-2010, 10:01 PM

There is a start......
Heres where I think they differ.

Sanders had incredible moves, he could keep any defender from getting a firm grip on him. It came from playing flag football as a kid. He was able to juke and move so that the defenders couldnt ever get close enough to tackle him.

Spiller doesn't have that level of elusiveness to me.

I think he has blazing speed and great change of direction which can leave many players looking for their shoes. But, he wont have the vision of Barry and wont work his way through 3 or 4 tacklers as he breaks off a long run. I think Spiller is different because he will get outside or behind the line and will burn the rest of the defenders with his speed.

BidsJr
08-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Sanders had incredible moves, he could keep any defender from getting a firm grip on him. It came from playing flag football as a kid. He was able to juke and move so that the defenders couldnt ever get close enough to tackle him.

I think he has blazing speed and great change of direction which can leave many players looking for their shoes. But, he wont have the vision of Barry and wont work his way through 3 or 4 tacklers as he breaks off a long run. I think Spiller is different because he will get outside or behind the line and will burn the rest of the defenders with his speed.

Barry was magic in traffic. The best ever. Spiller so far, can get caught up in the congestion.

Spiller though could make up for that as a reciever. Which Barry was never really utilized as.

It will be fun to watch.

CuseJetsFan83
08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Starts a game with - yards and runs backwards, but still will dominate and be great

thought mitchell was banned?!

CoolBreeze
08-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't know but if CJ is the next Sanders, I hope he doesn't retire early.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-28-2010, 10:56 PM
he reminds me of gale sayers more...

k-oneputt
08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Does this mean Spiller will be allowed more then the 12 touches a game as predicted around here ?

Mike13
08-28-2010, 11:36 PM
So you guys are gonna be crushed when he retires early?

jimbledsoe
08-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Here is the big difference. Sanders dominated almost every game he was in for 10 staight years. Spiller played very well for two preseason games. Lets just step back and take a deep breath.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2010, 12:11 AM
hes like gale sayers but even a step faster...

Prov401
08-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Barry Sanders was the best running back that set foot on this planet. That said Reggie Bush is no CJ Spiller.

I'll take Jim Brown and Walter Payton over Sanders.

Beebe's Kid
08-29-2010, 01:17 AM

I agree with the assessment of Barry.

I think Spiller is going to be very elusive, once he has to be. in college, he didn't necessarily have to be. He had great vision to get to where his speed made him impossible to catch. This is what made/makes him a good return man. He would see the field, and get to where nobody could catch him. This is also true of the screen pass, and counter plays.

I would not compare him to Sanders, not until he has at least a couple years under his belt, but I think that when he has been running into traffic, it was more because he didn't think that they would necessarily get to where he was going as quick as they did.

I see quick feet, and that is why I think he will eventually becoming better at judging where his speed will get him, if it is going to close, then he will adapt. Within a year or two, I bet Sanders comparisons become a lot more prevalent, and justified.

ublinkwescore
08-29-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't want Spiller compared to Sanders - I want Spiller to be in a whole new category.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't think Spiller is anything like Sanders, completely different, I think more Marshall Faulk if anything.

Extremebillsfan247
08-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Breakdown the differences in styles between the two if you would. I think you're on to something. Sanders was the kind of back that ran you over, and could carry 3 or 4 defenders into the endzone with him. He was just pure power. He didn't gain yards by speed and juke moves, the guy was just a beast and hard as hell to tackle. Spiller is more of a speed burner. He cuts on a dime like Barry use to do but he doesn't have the power Sanders had. JMO

casdhf
08-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Sanders was the kind of back that ran you over, and could carry 3 or 4 defenders into the endzone with him. He was just pure power. He didn't gain yards by speed and juke moves, the guy was just a beast and hard as hell to tackle. Spiller is more of a speed burner. He cuts on a dime like Barry use to do but he doesn't have the power Sanders had. JMO Are you kidding me?

Extremebillsfan247
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Are you kidding me? Sanders weighed at or above 200lbs throughout most of his NFL career. That is a lot of weight on a 5ft 8in frame. So no, not kidding. Pound for pound, Sanders was a bigger back. He wasn't just elusive, he was strong and elusive. That is what made him such a great running back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFhZy9oxuk&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFhZy9oxuk&feature=related)
Spiller has a long way to go before he can be put in the same league as Barry Sanders by way of comparison. JMO

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Totally.

He's like Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Walter Payton and OJ... with a dash of Marshall Faulk, Erik Dickerson, Earl Campbell and Jim THorpe thrown on top......

Only better.

And that's before his first game ever..... no need to wait. He'll probably run for 3000 yards by week 10 and receive another 1500. And STILL have time to cure cancer.

Maybe we should actually see him play a game or 2 before we get ******ed?

BidsJr
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Sanders was the kind of back that ran you over, and could carry 3 or 4 defenders into the endzone with him. He was just pure power. He didn't gain yards by speed and juke moves, the guy was just a beast and hard as hell to tackle. Spiller is more of a speed burner. He cuts on a dime like Barry use to do but he doesn't have the power Sanders had. JMO

Ummm..

hahahahahahahahahahahha

Mad Max
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't think Spiller is anything like Sanders, completely different, I think more Marshall Faulk if anything.

I compared the two a few days ago. They are alike in thei penchance for getting caught for losses on a handful of plays, and then busting 2-3 for huge gainers. Sanders was famous for that, he holds the NFL record for negative plays.

Like someone mentioned above, Spiller may be able to refine his game at the NFL level and escape most of the negative plays eventually (I noticed him running headfirst into obvious gang tackles last night when he could have easily reversed field for a possible gain) but as of right now he's Sanders like in at least that one sacpect of his game.