• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Hello waiter, I'll have the crow.

I can't believe I am doing this.

I still don't believe Edwards is or ever will be a franchise quarterback. HOWEVER, I am a reasonable guy and a Bills fan more than a player fan. Edwards has "shut me up" somewhat over the past two games.

I said this in the offseason, that Edwards doesn't have to be a Peyton Manning to win football games in Buffalo. With the three backs we have, we should be a run first team who is dominate in that phase of our offense. All Trent has to do is not turn the ball over and make plays downfield when we need them. Although I also have said that he can't even accomplish this much.

On to the "eating of the crow".

I still think he will find some way to screw it up when the games start to count.

But, so far I have really enjoyed how he has adapted to a (watered down and basic preseason version) of Chan The Man's offense. I hope he continues to make strides when Gailey breaks out the regular season play book.

So far, Edwards has shown me these things that have shut me up (for now):
    • He is comfortable in the pocket. No happy feet or early check downs or "scared little girl syndrome".
    • He's not afraid to stretch the field. He still isn't a gunslinger but in a run first offense like ours, he doesn't have to be.
    • He's going through his reads at the right pace. He isn't checking down right away, but he isn't sitting back in the pocket for too long either.
    • He's getting multiple weapons involved. Parrish, Spiller, Evans etc.
    • He has command of the huddle.
    • He can bounce back from taking a hit.
    • Most importantly in my opinion, he is having fun out there. Which in turn, can lead to success.
    So, for now, Captain Checkdown has silenced my relentless criticism. But, I am still not jumping on his bandwagon. I'm weary that he'll revert back to his ugly play of last season.

Anyway, good win again. We improved, again (At least offensively).

And as long as we continue to score points and get better (which hopefully translates into wins that count) this crow will continue to taste good, and I'll continue to order it.

Go Bills.
    I am The Batman.
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: Hello waiter, I'll have the crow.

Well, if you didn't take the first bite, I will let you off of the hook for last week.

I have been a Brohm supporter, this year. I liked Edwards, and gave up on him in Tennessee last year...just before Dick did.

I will say that he looked good tonight. Real good. So did Fitzy. The pass that Brohm threw looked good too.

As has been mentioned in posts about the running game, I feel this is Chan's doing. He is working with what he has, and as history shows, he is doing so at a high level.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Brohm isn't going to be the starter?!

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I was also impressed by Edwards this week more than last week. He's starting to finally show poise in the pocket and noticed quite a few times where he surveyed the whole field before "checking down". He also looks like a leader for a change. I've noticed this in camp, but today and last week...he is walking around on the sidelines, chatting with the other players, running down the field and high fiving the guys if they make a play and is being focal on the field if another player makes a mistake or if he makes a mistake. He's finally starting to take charge out there! It's about ****ing time!

Having said that....I still want to see more than just an average starter out there before I start talking keeping him. I want him to start winning some games vby himself if he needs to and see less of the 3 and outs that we are used to. I want to see more TDs and less field goals. I want to see Edwards finally take the next step in his development.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

I thought he had a good performance and took what the D gave him. I will reserve judgment however until he imposes his will on a defense when they take away his tendencies.

Not going to anoint Trent an NFL caliber QB till he beats a 3-4 and makes the tough throws.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

let's see how he reacts when the games start counting.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Good point, SABURZ!

Comment

• Buddo
                • Mar 2007

I was reasonably impressed with Edwards last night. I have always thought that he could be a capable starter in the NFL, but the jury has, and still is, out as to whether he will finally 'make it'.
                With Chan, he now has his best chance. He has a guy who knows what he's doing, and in certain respects, the play calling, is an underrated aspect of Chan's resume.
                It wasn't just the fact that they obviously made some adjustments, fairly quickly, but it was also the timing of certain plays called, especially the two good screens, to MacIntyre and Spiller. Even the Bungles commentators thought they were good calls.
                Just when the bungles D thought they were in with a shot at getting to Edwards, Chan calls a good screen.
                The first one to MacIntyre, was a nice call, as the D would likely have expected Spiller to get the ball, and was very well executed by all concerned.
                I thought that old Mac truck was going to actually go all the way for a moment, as he still had blockers around him, but a 'torpedo like' trip, just stopped him enough.
                Pretty much the same scenario happened with the Spiller screen. Just when the Bungles thought they were in with a chance at getting to Edwards and stopping the drive, we get the screen call again. Those plays keep the opposing defence honest, and help give the QB the time he needs to make other plays in the passing game.
                I think credit is also due to the players for their collective execution of them also, and it's a definite plus that we were able to make them work so tidily.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

Been saying it all of camp, Trent gives us the best chance to win.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Some people need to eat crow who complained about the Spiller pick and that the Bills didn't reach for some O-linemen.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                      let's see how he reacts when the games start counting.
                      And the defenses start planning.

And the blitzes start coming.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

Chan Gailey is just what this franchise needed to get this decade long pathetic O functioning again.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                          Some people need to eat crow who complained about the Spiller pick and that the Bills didn't reach for some O-linemen.

So do the people that were suggesting Spiller get traded.

Sounds like an educated guess, but it's a mystery as to what could take so long. A lot of the early picks and late picks are getting done. What's the holdup? http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/20029002201
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

I like what I'm seeing out of Edwards but it's preseason and 2 games. I'm not ready to eat crow yet. I'm hope I get to eat a lot of it.

Comment

• Novacane
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              Brohm isn't going to be the starter?!

Trent has shown some real improvement. Imagine how much better he'd be able to play if he did not have you hanging on his dick

Comment

Working...
                              X