PDA

View Full Version : Hello waiter, I'll have the crow.

BillsWin
08-29-2010, 01:12 AM
:censored: I can't believe I am doing this.

I still don't believe Edwards is or ever will be a franchise quarterback. HOWEVER, I am a reasonable guy and a Bills fan more than a player fan. Edwards has "shut me up" somewhat over the past two games.

I said this in the offseason, that Edwards doesn't have to be a Peyton Manning to win football games in Buffalo. With the three backs we have, we should be a run first team who is dominate in that phase of our offense. All Trent has to do is not turn the ball over and make plays downfield when we need them. Although I also have said that he can't even accomplish this much.

On to the "eating of the crow".

I still think he will find some way to screw it up when the games start to count.

But, so far I have really enjoyed how he has adapted to a (watered down and basic preseason version) of Chan The Man's offense. I hope he continues to make strides when Gailey breaks out the regular season play book.

So far, Edwards has shown me these things that have shut me up (for now):

He is comfortable in the pocket. No happy feet or early check downs or "scared little girl syndrome".
He's not afraid to stretch the field. He still isn't a gunslinger but in a run first offense like ours, he doesn't have to be.
He's going through his reads at the right pace. He isn't checking down right away, but he isn't sitting back in the pocket for too long either.
He's getting multiple weapons involved. Parrish, Spiller, Evans etc.
He has command of the huddle.
He can bounce back from taking a hit.
Most importantly in my opinion, he is having fun out there. Which in turn, can lead to success.So, for now, Captain Checkdown has silenced my relentless criticism. But, I am still not jumping on his bandwagon. I'm weary that he'll revert back to his ugly play of last season.

Anyway, good win again. We improved, again (At least offensively).

And as long as we continue to score points and get better (which hopefully translates into wins that count) this crow will continue to taste good, and I'll continue to order it.

Go Bills.

Beebe's Kid
08-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Well, if you didn't take the first bite, I will let you off of the hook for last week.

I have been a Brohm supporter, this year. I liked Edwards, and gave up on him in Tennessee last year...just before Dick did.

I will say that he looked good tonight. Real good. So did Fitzy. The pass that Brohm threw looked good too.

As has been mentioned in posts about the running game, I feel this is Chan's doing. He is working with what he has, and as history shows, he is doing so at a high level.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Brohm isn't going to be the starter?!

Michael82
08-29-2010, 02:12 AM
I was also impressed by Edwards this week more than last week. He's starting to finally show poise in the pocket and noticed quite a few times where he surveyed the whole field before "checking down". He also looks like a leader for a change. I've noticed this in camp, but today and last week...he is walking around on the sidelines, chatting with the other players, running down the field and high fiving the guys if they make a play and is being focal on the field if another player makes a mistake or if he makes a mistake. He's finally starting to take charge out there! It's about ****ing time!

Having said that....I still want to see more than just an average starter out there before I start talking keeping him. I want him to start winning some games vby himself if he needs to and see less of the 3 and outs that we are used to. I want to see more TDs and less field goals. I want to see Edwards finally take the next step in his development.

Mahdi
08-29-2010, 02:41 AM
I thought he had a good performance and took what the D gave him. I will reserve judgment however until he imposes his will on a defense when they take away his tendencies.

Not going to anoint Trent an NFL caliber QB till he beats a 3-4 and makes the tough throws.

SABURZFAN
08-29-2010, 03:04 AM
let's see how he reacts when the games start counting.

Michael82
08-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Good point, SABURZ!

Buddo
08-29-2010, 05:47 AM
I was reasonably impressed with Edwards last night. I have always thought that he could be a capable starter in the NFL, but the jury has, and still is, out as to whether he will finally 'make it'.
With Chan, he now has his best chance. He has a guy who knows what he's doing, and in certain respects, the play calling, is an underrated aspect of Chan's resume.
It wasn't just the fact that they obviously made some adjustments, fairly quickly, but it was also the timing of certain plays called, especially the two good screens, to MacIntyre and Spiller. Even the Bungles commentators thought they were good calls.
Just when the bungles D thought they were in with a shot at getting to Edwards, Chan calls a good screen.
The first one to MacIntyre, was a nice call, as the D would likely have expected Spiller to get the ball, and was very well executed by all concerned.
I thought that old Mac truck was going to actually go all the way for a moment, as he still had blockers around him, but a 'torpedo like' trip, just stopped him enough.
Pretty much the same scenario happened with the Spiller screen. Just when the Bungles thought they were in with a chance at getting to Edwards and stopping the drive, we get the screen call again. Those plays keep the opposing defence honest, and help give the QB the time he needs to make other plays in the passing game.
I think credit is also due to the players for their collective execution of them also, and it's a definite plus that we were able to make them work so tidily.

Buffalogic
08-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Been saying it all of camp, Trent gives us the best chance to win.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Some people need to eat crow who complained about the Spiller pick and that the Bills didn't reach for some O-linemen.

chernobylwraiths
08-29-2010, 07:13 AM
let's see how he reacts when the games start counting.

And the defenses start planning.

And the blitzes start coming.

ddaryl
08-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Chan Gailey is just what this franchise needed to get this decade long pathetic O functioning again.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Some people need to eat crow who complained about the Spiller pick and that the Bills didn't reach for some O-linemen.

So do the people that were suggesting Spiller get traded.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=194011

Novacane
08-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I like what I'm seeing out of Edwards but it's preseason and 2 games. I'm not ready to eat crow yet. I'm hope I get to eat a lot of it.

Novacane
08-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Trent has shown some real improvement. Imagine how much better he'd be able to play if he did not have you hanging on his dick :rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2010, 08:09 AM

And I though Bobby April was a ****ty coach that had nothing to do with the success of the Special Teams?

And you ready to eat crow on that yet?

Yasgur's Farm
08-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I give TE credit... He has looked somewhat like a real QB these past 2 games. But I'm still skeptical... He's done this before... Chargers game comes to mind.

This may just be a case of him actually taking his lithium 2 weeks in a row.

JCBills
08-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll believe it when I see him play a full season.

psubills62
08-29-2010, 10:36 AM

The Colts blitzed quite a bit. I didn't see what the Bengals did, but since most teams take the 3rd preseason game seriously, I'm betting they did some of that too.

ddaryl
08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
The difference is C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G.... and of course smart drafting.

Gailey has this O putting points on the board... So refreshing... Now confidence can grow from here for everyone. Trent ha slooked real good at times and competely lost at others... and a lot of that has to do with Jauron and the weak ass OC's we have had.

Nix is looking like a genius with his Spiller pick.

I still have doubts Edwards can last the whole seaosn.. or handle the constant pressure. It's his burden to prove himself to all of Bills nation.

JCBills
08-29-2010, 10:44 AM
The Colts blitzed quite a bit. I didn't see what the Bengals did, but since most teams take the 3rd preseason game seriously, I'm betting they did some of that too.

Bengals brought a lot of heat against the run early, and our OL was unable to even slow it down a few times.

Beebe's Kid
08-29-2010, 11:03 AM
There was a lot of blitzing out of Cincinnati, but that doesn't make for good fodder. The story needs to go, Trent had all day, we'll wait until he's under pressure.

How many times has Trent done this to all of us before?

Last week he was not good. He owes McGee and Spiller for all the blow-jobs everybody here is giving him. He made a deep throw to a wide open Evans, that was the benefit of the play-call, not Trent's lightning quick reaction time. If he would have played an entire game last week, and kept going the way he was, he would not receive all of this praise.

He was good last night. He, actually, looked real good. So that is first game since Tampa last year. HH, I know this is like a wet-dream for you, but to be running around saying "I told you so," is just a little premature.

For every Tampa game, there has been 3-4 Cleveland games.

better days
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
There was a lot of blitzing out of Cincinnati, but that doesn't make for good fodder. The story needs to go, Trent had all day, we'll wait until he's under pressure.

How many times has Trent done this to all of us before?

Last week he was not good. He owes McGee and Spiller for all the blow-jobs everybody here is giving him. He made a deep throw to a wide open Evans, that was the benefit of the play-call, not Trent's lightning quick reaction time. If he would have played an entire game last week, and kept going the way he was, he would not receive all of this praise.

He was good last night. He, actually, looked real good. So that is first game since Tampa last year. HH, I know this is like a wet-dream for you, but to be running around saying "I told you so," is just a little premature.

For every Tampa game, there has been 3-4 Cleveland games.

Well our best hope is that Chan can get the best out of Trent as he did Thigpen & others.

Michael82
08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Excellent point! :gag: Jason Peters best friend... *gag*

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I always felt Trent had a lot of skill to work with. It was pretty clear from some of his early work that he could do a lot of good thins and had some of the stuff you look for from a good QB.

But then Jauron got his hands on him and just completely messed him up. Instead of progressing he was regressing all the time. How does that even happen unless you have some god awful coaches that are beyond incompetent. I'm stunned that can happen at the NFL level. I really am.

Now, my fear was that Trent was so far gone, that he'd never get "right" again. That his confidence and mental games was just ruined permanently.

I hope for his sake Gailey can "fix" the damage. Because I honestly thought he could be a great QB before.

Bill Walsh was a pretty smart guy, after all.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
And I though Bobby April was a ****ty coach that had nothing to do with the success of the Special Teams?

And you ready to eat crow on that yet?

All I ever argued was that Edwards would be the starter coming out of camp and that Brohm was not a legitimate canidate.

As for special teams that will happen only after I have watched them play for a full season. Same thing goes for Gailey.

better days
08-29-2010, 11:50 AM
All I ever argued was that Edwards would be the starter coming out of camp and that Brohm was not a legitimate canidate.

As for special teams that will happen only after I have watched them play for a full season. Same thing goes for Gailey.

You also said Brohm was a likely cut.

shelby
08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Good posting. i've noticed the media singing Trent's praises. i'm not sold yet. He's shown himself to be both injury prone and easily rattled in the past. i want him to succeed but i am not sold on him as our franchise QB for the future.

On the other hand, the Spiller pick was freaking brilliant...it is nice to have something exciting to watch!

TigerJ
08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
I thought he had a good performance and took what the D gave him. I will reserve judgment however until he imposes his will on a defense when they take away his tendencies.

Not going to anoint Trent an NFL caliber QB till he beats a 3-4 and makes the tough throws.I think you have a very good point. When the season starts, opposing DCs will game plan for Trent. They will remember the things that caused him to struggle last season, and that is the first thing they will do to him this season.

I am hopeful that Gailey, being a very bright offensive mind and noted mentor of QBs that have weaknesses, is coaching Edwards hard on the areas where he struggled most, and that Trent will cope with those things far better than he has to this point. We won't really know for a few weeks though.

elltrain22
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
This is preseason, so many will say this, but this is what I see too. I'm just like BillsWin b/c I'm always very, very hard on Trent. I have posted at nosium to trade him, and even just flat cut his *** b/c I just hated see him on this team. One thing about Trent, that has pretty much always been a staple is his passing accuracy. He really can thread the needle. Problem w/ him in years past (the Jauron years-I might add) is all he did was check the ball down everytime, thus never move the chains. This preseason, he has shut me up too. Great decisions, spreading the balls, stepping up in the pocket, confidence, etc, etc... I will not get too excited though, b/c it is only preseason, but we could have something, maybe...

HHURRICANE
08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
You also said Brohm was a likely cut.

Yep, still a possibility. Depends if they really plan on keeping Brown on the roster.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Excellent point! :gag: Jason Peters best friend... *gag*

Pull the post or thread where I said it was bad pick!

Never happened. I like you Mikey but this is dead wrong.

Now you can find plenty of threads on me saying Bobby April should go, so Lecter has every right to go there...when the season is on it's way and Special Teams are sucking.

Spiderweb
08-29-2010, 10:58 PM
:censored: I can't believe I am doing this.

I still don't believe Edwards is or ever will be a franchise quarterback. HOWEVER, I am a reasonable guy and a Bills fan more than a player fan. Edwards has "shut me up" somewhat over the past two games.

I said this in the offseason, that Edwards doesn't have to be a Peyton Manning to win football games in Buffalo. With the three backs we have, we should be a run first team who is dominate in that phase of our offense. All Trent has to do is not turn the ball over and make plays downfield when we need them. Although I also have said that he can't even accomplish this much.

On to the "eating of the crow".

I still think he will find some way to screw it up when the games start to count.

But, so far I have really enjoyed how he has adapted to a (watered down and basic preseason version) of Chan The Man's offense. I hope he continues to make strides when Gailey breaks out the regular season play book.

So far, Edwards has shown me these things that have shut me up (for now):

He is comfortable in the pocket. No happy feet or early check downs or "scared little girl syndrome".
He's not afraid to stretch the field. He still isn't a gunslinger but in a run first offense like ours, he doesn't have to be.
He's going through his reads at the right pace. He isn't checking down right away, but he isn't sitting back in the pocket for too long either.
He's getting multiple weapons involved. Parrish, Spiller, Evans etc.
He has command of the huddle.
He can bounce back from taking a hit.
Most importantly in my opinion, he is having fun out there. Which in turn, can lead to success.So, for now, Captain Checkdown has silenced my relentless criticism. But, I am still not jumping on his bandwagon. I'm weary that he'll revert back to his ugly play of last season.

Anyway, good win again. We improved, again (At least offensively).

And as long as we continue to score points and get better (which hopefully translates into wins that count) this crow will continue to taste good, and I'll continue to order it.

Go Bills.
Eating crow and the season hasn't even begun yet? If Edwards looks like the lights are on by around game 9, then a crow platter might be in order, but certainly not based off of a couple preseason games.

justasportsfan
08-29-2010, 11:10 PM

you know Mike Nolan is gonna bring it. I hope we're ready for those blitzes

don137
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
While I am very encouraged by the progress of Trent I want to see a couple things before I start drinking the kool-aid. I want to see how he reacts to a couple big hits. Also, I want to see how he reacts on the road in adverse conditions. So far he did well in two 'home' games.
I do think he will be better the question is how much better.

dannyek71
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Pre-Season