PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on last night.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 07:41 AM
So I finally tuned in to a game. I figured 3rd preseason game was a good time to check things out.

Here's my point for thoughts:

- Trent looked very good. His sideline pass to roscoe was very dangerous, and probably should have been picked. But otherwise he was very good avoiding the rush, finding targets and did not look "trentative" Fitz looked ok to me. I skipped the 4th, but i really don't care who the backup is anyway.

- Spiller also looks to be a very exciting player. He better learn fast to stop trying to make something out of nothing though. Take the 2 yard loss if you have to, but don't turn it into 10! But that's minor and he def has some Barry Sanders moves at times.

- The WR's looked ok. I was really surprised by that actually. Too bad we won't have Nelson for the first 4 games. Hardy is a goner (i can't believe how many early round misses this team has managed). Despite his 1 nice catch, he then drops an easy one.

- The line was ok. But I still have serious doubts. This was PRESEASON. no real trickery, no blitzing to pick up, and the Bengals didn't even have a legit dominant pass rusher out there (Geathers was inactive.) RT tackle in particular is atrocious. Chambers and Green both stink. I'm not sold on ANY of the OT's for that matter. I fear this will still be a serious weakness come the real thing.

- The D was just terrible against the first teamers. Seriously. The D is going to be PAINFUL. I can't believe we still have ****ner out there. For a group that claims to be one of the best secondaries in the league, they sure sucked the bag. Byrd will help, but that means Wilson sits, who was the best player in the secondary last night. ****ner needs to be riding the Pine, and let Wilson and Byrd play. The Corners need to do much better than that as well.

- The front 3 were ok. It's not their job to get pressure after all. By far the biggest issue on the D is the LINEBACKERS. Wow. They are going to be a HUGE issue. I thought Andra Davis played well and liked Ellis a bit. Maybin did NOT impress me. Kelsay was terrible... the list goes on. the 3-4 is all about you LB's. The Bills are a LONG way from having a good set of them.

- Special Teams? they need to just drop the word special all together. horrid. beyond horrid. I can't even believe how bad they were. Why exactly did they let Bobby April go?

Overall, I think it's going to be another LONG season. I think the O will be somewhat improved with better coaching, but not as good as it could be with a true #2 WR and i'm unconvinced the line will hold up against serious competition.

I think the D will be pretty horrid. they just don't have what they need to run a 3-4. the LB's aren't there.

ST is shockingly terrible. Which is sad to see considering how good they've been for so long.

Romes
08-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Good post. One thing, its Shawn Nelson the TE we won't have the first 4 games not David Nelson the WR.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Good post. One thing, its Shawn Nelson the TE we won't have the first 4 games not David Nelson the WR.

Did Shawn play? I thought he had a couple catches early on.
I was quite impressed with David Nelson and Roosevelt as well.

YardRat
08-29-2010, 08:01 AM
This LBing crew is going to go a long way helping the secondary and d-line look bad.

April got shafted out of the interim tag, which supposedly he was promised, so he wasn't coming back anyway.

Right about now I'm kind of wishing he had gotten the opportunity instead of Fewell...the offense has made some real strides on the surface this off-season, but the defense looks to be much worse than I thought.

I don't think we have a legitimate starting LB on the roster, let alone the couple of studs you really need to run a 34 effectively. Hopefully Edwards has been keeping the run blitzes completely under wraps, and we'll see a real defense on opening day.

Novacane
08-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Hardy dropped 2 easy passes after his catch. Then he made a boneheaded forward before the snap penalty. I think he's gone.

Oaf
08-29-2010, 08:47 AM
April got shafted out of the interim tag, which supposedly he was promised, so he wasn't coming back anyway.

:ill:

THRILLHO
08-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I think I am the only one that was not in love with Bobby April. I cannot remember anything about special teams last year besides fumbles and these 5 words: "Illegal Block In the Back." I do not recall any of our big returns, or us stopping a punt return short. I know that he did great things in the past, but last year was just putrid.
Call it the players, call it whatever you want, but I did not shed a tear when April did not come back.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 08:53 AM
This LBing crew is going to go a long way helping the secondary and d-line look bad.

Right about now I'm kind of wishing he had gotten the opportunity instead of Fewell...the offense has made some real strides on the surface this off-season, but the defense looks to be much worse than I thought.

I don't think we have a legitimate starting LB on the roster, let alone the couple of studs you really need to run a 34 effectively. Hopefully Edwards has been keeping the run blitzes completely under wraps, and we'll see a real defense on opening day.

LB'er is a top need going into the next off-season IMO. I hope I'm wrong about them, but Moats and Batten weren't my favorite picks.

Id like to see someone like Herzlich, Sturdivant, Ayers, Beal, Hightower, or another pass rushing LB like Miller.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
April SHOULD have been insulted. Fewell was incompetent as a DC, there was ZERO justification for him getting the interim HC job.

I hear all this talk about McNeill and the Chargers. Sadly, the 3 players that are the most problematic for them are 3 that would go a LONG way to helping the Bills.

Merriman, Jackson and McNeill. All with the Buddy Nix connection as well. But the Bills certainly wouldn't want to pay any of them. And there is very little they could give up to get any of them as well.

an elite OLB (if healthy) and true #1a WR, and a top shelf LT? seriously. it's funny that the Chargers have issues with those 3 and they may be the Bills most glaring holes.

anyway.... long year methinks.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm re-watching the game right now. The Tackles are doing a very good job so far. The only negative play was Green getting beat around the edge which led to the Edwards sack (10:53 in the 1st). ON the big loss in the backfield by Spiller, Stupar blew the block and they had unblocked guys around the end. (7:30 in the 1st). The run blocking on the Spiller run for a 1st down was very good (4:32 in the 1st). And the pass blocking on the Parrish TD was very good, Trent threw the ball at the 3rd second after the snap and no one was close to him. (4:13 in the 1st). Both T's did a great job setting up the pocket on the long throw from Trent to Evans that went incomplete (13:28 in the 2nd). They did a fantastic job setting up the pocket and giving Trent extra time on the long Parrish throw (11:35 in the 2nd). And I cant blame Green for the play where Edwarsd rolled out way right due to pressure from the middle and Dunlap tackled him after he threw the ball away. Green is responsible for keeping him at bay and creating a pocket which he did. After that, Green cant prevent Dunlap from tackling him, he has no way of knowing that TRent rolled way out. (9:52 in the 2nd).

X-Era
08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
On the LB'ers, they are doing to bad things, over-pursuing and not recognizing the play. If they simply stayed home and watched the play unfold, our run D would be much better. Poz looks very tentative. I cant tell if he isn't recognizing whats happening or what.

YardRat
08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I think I am the only one that was not in love with Bobby April. I cannot remember anything about special teams last year besides fumbles and these 5 words: "Illegal Block In the Back." I do not recall any of our big returns, or us stopping a punt return short. I know that he did great things in the past, but last year was just putrid.
Call it the players, call it whatever you want, but I did not shed a tear when April did not come back.

Despite their rankings, the special teams left a lot to be desired at times last season. I wasn't referring to them as 'April's Fools' just for kicks. But, the coverage units at least played above average, and were much better than this year's versions, although it's still 'preseason'.

Like them or not, wastes of rosters spots or no, but Jenkins and Wendling did a pretty good job as gunners last year, and nobody seems to be stepping up to the plate to fill that role adequately enough to date.

mikemac2001
08-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Yea big downside is coverage and return yards on kick return

i think punts we will be fine because of moorman

but kickoffs look bad

X-Era
08-29-2010, 10:13 AM
For the purpose of discussion, I would like to know which plays the tackles looked bad in.

TedMock
08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
For the purpose of discussion, I would like to know which plays the tackles looked bad in.

I think every time there's pressure from the edge people assume it's the tackles. They missed a few last night, but I think the TE's and RB's missed more. When you're just watching the game you don't always notice who was responsible and it's easiest to assume it was the OT. Having said that, the tackles weren't awesome either. Just not as bad as they're being blamed for. They were "ok" last night. They certainly gave Trent adequate time on quite a few passes.

ddaryl
08-29-2010, 10:38 AM
D will be a weak spot this year.. But I am so ready for some fun O to watch. Our D can be revamped but our O has been so stagnate for a decade I just couldn't stomachanother year on O ineptness, so at least we have that to look forward to this year.

Our LB'ers are weak and lots of inexperience. Maybin was the hope, but he is such a 1 trick pony it's depressing. They shoud get better but we need upgrades.

ST's is surprisingly weak....

I still have to watch the game so I can't really commnet too much

X-Era
08-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I think every time there's pressure from the edge people assume it's the tackles. They missed a few last night, but I think the TE's and RB's missed more. When you're just watching the game you don't always notice who was responsible and it's easiest to assume it was the OT. Having said that, the tackles weren't awesome either. Just not as bad as they're being blamed for. They were "ok" last night. They certainly gave Trent adequate time on quite a few passes.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Stupar missed several blocks which led to pressure. I only saw one missed block by Bell or Green and it was Green very early where he was beat around the edge by Patterson. I think they did a very nice job actually. Overall, Trent had plenty of time to throw in most cases and the offense moved the ball because of it.

psubills62
08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
- The line was ok. But I still have serious doubts. This was PRESEASON. no real trickery, no blitzing to pick up, and the Bengals didn't even have a legit dominant pass rusher out there (Geathers was inactive.) RT tackle in particular is atrocious. Chambers and Green both stink. I'm not sold on ANY of the OT's for that matter. I fear this will still be a serious weakness come the real thing.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll get to watch the game tonight.

I disagree with the bolded, though. Antwan Odom had 8 sacks through 6 games last year and was leading the league in sacks until he got injured. I'd say that's a legit dominant pass rusher, personally.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 10:45 AM
D will be a weak spot this year.. But I am so ready for some fun O to watch. Our D can be revamped but our O has been so stagnate for a decade I just couldn't stomachanother year on O ineptness, so at least we have that to look forward to this year.

The D needs a pocket collapser or two, and a pass rusher who can either bull rush with above average strength or with lots of moves and great quickness. Troup/Williams/ and Maybin may develop into those guys, maybe not. At LB'er we need guys who diagnose quicker and get into the holes faster. They also need to do a much better job of mirroring and not overpursuing. Again, it may be guys we have that develop.

ST's is surprisingly weak....

Its two things, missed tackles and not staying in you lanes.

All of this may get better as we develop through the year, but, yes, at this point we have areas that are concerns.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:02 AM
My point on the OL was more that last night was not a true test.

When the game-planning of the regular season arrives, and they start blitzing, disguising blitzes, and you face a Freeney or Mario Williams. Then we will see what the Tackles can do.

I never said they were particularly bad last night. I'm just saying that a preseason game against the Bengals is not enough of a test.

It's practically a one on 1 practice out there. We're gonna send our front 4, you try to block them.

It's nice that they weren't being beaten on the one on one straight forward pass rush moves of some descent DE's... but don't try to tell me the OT's are fine because of it.

Could they stop Freeney and Mathis as easily for 4 quarters? Could they do it while also recognizing the blitz and picking it up? Could Spiller? Can Trent?

X-Era
08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
My point on the OL was more that last night was not a true test.

When the game-planning of the regular season arrives, and they start blitzing, disguising blitzes, and you face a Freeney or Mario Williams. Then we will see what the Tackles can do.

I never said they were particularly bad last night. I'm just saying that a preseason game against the Bengals is not enough of a test.

It's practically a one on 1 practice out there. We're gonna send our front 4, you try to block them.

It's nice that they weren't being beaten on the one on one straight forward pass rush moves of some descent DE's... but don't try to tell me the OT's are fine because of it.

Could they stop Freeney and Mathis as easily for 4 quarters? Could they do it while also recognizing the blitz and picking it up? Could Spiller? Can Trent?

I don't think we can say they are fine yet either. I totally agree that this is the preseason and we arent seeing the real schemes yet. However, you can see whether a player can hold up against NFL quality defenders, and so far, Bell, Green, and Meredith has shown they can. Will that translate to real games and for 4 quarters? We will have to see.

I guess I just don't think you can say they arent adequate either. I haven't seen the evidence to support that, Ive seen the opposite.

We will just have to see what they do when the real bullets fly.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think we can say they are fine yet either. I totally agree that this is the preseason and we arent seeing the real schemes yet. However, you can see whether a player can hold up against NFL quality defenders, and so far, Bell, Green, and Meredith has shown they can. Will that translate to real games and for 4 quarters? We will have to see.

I guess I just don't think you can say they arent adequate either. I haven't seen the evidence to support that, Ive seen the opposite.

We will just have to see what they do when the real bullets fly.

I saw it last year.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I saw it last year.

You saw Green last year? You saw our starters play a whole season last year? Last years version of these players = this years? The coaches are the same? The schemes are the same?

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes. Green played for Oakland. Poorly.

I saw when they did play. It was pretty rough.

In the NFL you are not good until you prove you are good. A couple descent preseason games does not undo poor previous play. Coaching can also only take you so far. The ability has to be there first.

They may turn out ok. But you can't take a couple preseason games and proclaim that all is well on the OL.

Sorry. Doesn't work that way.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
They may turn out ok. But you can't take a couple preseason games and proclaim that all is well on the OL.

Sorry. Doesn't work that way.

I dont know where you are seeing me say that because they are playing well in the preseason, they will be fine in the regular season. Im not saying that.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I dont know where you are seeing me say that because they are playing well in the preseason, they will be fine in the regular season. Im not saying that.

I don't know where you see me saying they won't be ok. I'm just saying i'm not sold.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't know where you see me saying they won't be ok. I'm just saying i'm not sold.

RT tackle in particular is atrocious. Chambers and Green both stink.

:idunno:

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
:idunno:

Green was horrid in Oakland. I doubt that will change. Chambers has always been terrible, and i saw him whiff again last night as i recall.