PDA

View Full Version : L. Coles and A. Bryant released

X-Era
08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I like all of our guys and think we are better off than we anticipated. But, why not add another vet to our WR corp?

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26791/jets-pace-to-have-foot-surgery-coles-cut

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5509631

DraftBoy
08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Coles is expected to retire.

Italian Stallion
08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Sign either one at this point....and I'm not usually an advocate of the "sign them because they are available and I've heard of them" way of thinking.

Steve Johnson makes me want to throw up...and with Edwards looking half competent like he has recently, either one of these guys will be an instant upgrade if healthy

YardRat
08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Bryant is damaged.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd take a chance on Bryant. He's made 8 mil this year already. I'm thinking he'd sign for a very reasonable amount.

trapezeus
08-29-2010, 01:30 PM
coles was overrated and old. he had a crap season last year, and he got cut this year.
bryant is damaged goods. we already took our flyer on chad jackson and it seems to be working. expecting that to happen twice is wishful thinking.

meanwhile i think we have enough WR's that are capable.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Bryant has not practiced yet this year. He can't play.

If DB is right and Coles is going to retire that is a no as well.

And I would rather let guys like Nelson, Johnson and maybe even Hardy get a chance to play.

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Bryant has an injured knee that he had surgery on. Apparently he plans to get it rehabbed back to 100% and then find a team.

The dude had 80+ Catches and 1200+ yards 2 years ago on a pretty average TB team.

He can play when his knee comes around. We don't have a #2 of his ability.

The Spaz
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Nope.

Philagape
08-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Bryant has not practiced yet this year. He can't play.

If DB is right and Coles is going to retire that is a no as well.

But but but we've heard of them!!!!

Philagape
08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
The worst thought about this thread is how many we're going to see over the next two weeks :ill:

elltrain22
08-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Save our money, for the O-lineman that are gonna be cut.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
The worst thought about this thread is how many we're going to see over the next two weeks :ill:
With all due respect to your post, your post can bite me. :biggrin:

I mean seriously. We are so good that we can simply ignore who gets cut and whether they can help this team or not?

Its a message board and a talking point.

more cowbell
08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
If Bryant came cheap I would sign him...he is a legit starter and a great #2 if he is healthy

Night Train
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
But but but we've heard of them!!!!

Precisely

Next up, which waived RB's we should sign and start.

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I mean seriously. We are so good that we can simply ignore who gets cut and whether they can help this team or not?

There's a middle ground between ignore and just throw any has-been veteran name out there.
Like at least thinking about why they were cut.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
There's a middle ground between ignore and just throw any has-been veteran name out there.
Like at least thinking about why they were cut.
4 months ago Bryant was worth a fairly large contract and a year ago Coles was a guy this team targeted.

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:18 PM
4 months ago Bryant was worth a fairly large contract and a year ago Coles was a guy this team targeted.

Let's just hop in our DeLoreans then and bring them back from that time.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Let's just hop in our DeLoreans then and bring them back from that time.
You are more than welcome to ignore the thread if you like. There will be lots more threads just like this because we need help at lots of positions.

Your position is: No on both players. Noted.

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:20 PM
I mean, seriously ... Bryant signed to a large contract four months ago ......

AND THEY CUT HIM.

Does it not even occur to ask why?

X-Era
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I mean, seriously ... Bryant signed to a large contract four months ago ......

AND THEY CUT HIM.

Does it not even occur to ask why?He's hurt right now and they signed TO in the meantime. When he's healthy he cant help us?

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
He's hurt right now and they signed TO in the meantime. When he's healthy he cant help us?

"in the meantime"? meantime til what? They cut him. Why didn't they think he can still help them when healthy?

X-Era
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
"in the meantime"? meantime til what? They cut him. Why didn't they think he can still help them when healthy?

Because they couldn't afford to wait and now feel solid with TO?

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Because they couldn't afford to wait and now feel solid with TO?

But they could afford to just throw away $8 million in guaranteed money?

Why didn't they just put him on IR? Since it was a four-year deal, why not at least try to salvage the other three?

Instead of speculating, how about the actual answer:

Bryant had offseason knee surgery and never looked right in minicamp. I covered Bryant in 2005 when he played with the Cleveland Browns and remembered thinking at the time that something wasn't right. He didn't look nearly as explosive.

It turns out Bryant's knee never healed properly. The Bengals rested him during a portion of minicamp and was very cautious with him during training camp. Then the organization got eerily quiet when questioned about Bryant's progress -- more red flags -- and the rumors began to swirl.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/16598/antonio-bryant-saga-strange-from-the-start

The guy has one leg, and the Bengals probably made it worse by underestimating the injury when they signed him. I'd prefer if the Bills didn't make the same mistake.

X-Era
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
But they could afford to just throw away $8 million in guaranteed money?

Why didn't they just put him on IR? Since it was a four-year deal, why not at least try to salvage the other three?

Instead of speculating, how about the actual answer:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/16598/antonio-bryant-saga-strange-from-the-start

The guy has one leg, and the Bengals probably made it worse by underestimating the injury when they signed him. I'd prefer if the Bills didn't make the same mistake.

And Coles?

Philagape
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
And Coles?

I'll let him answer that himself:

"I think I'm done,'' Coles, 32, told The Star-Ledger.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/coles_comtemplating_retirment.html

That sure makes me want to bang down his door and take the place of a younger prospect. I'd keep David Nelson first.