PDA

View Full Version : Something missing from last year

cookie G
08-29-2010, 12:54 PM
From the Q and A with Chan Gailey:

Q: On using the passing game to loosen up Cincinnati’s defense:
They were playing the run very, very hard to start with. After we saw that, we figured we had to throw it a bunch to soften them up a bit. I thought we were able to do that.

And from the Cinci color commentator after the 2nd screen pass, a 26 yard gain by Spiller:

"They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure...screen pass, big gain
They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure again...screen pass, another big gain."

See it;
Feel it;
Adjust to it.

The adjustments made were done from series to series and even within the series.

They weren't made from half to half, or from game to game, but in some cases, from play to play.

There was no..."we have to stay with our game plan"
There was no..."we have to ram the ball down their throats when they are crowding the line"
There was no..."we have to control the clock".
There was no..."it is preseason, and we want to see what certain plays do."

See it;
Feel it;
Adjust to it.

Whitner's comments from opposing players confirmed the suspicions of most, "we know what you were going to do because you guys never adjusted".

This offense isn't good enough to impose its will on another team, as much as I'd like it to. The O line isn't nearly good enough for that, nor is Edwards.

But it does have the tools to adjust, and make a D pay for overcompensating in one area.

It won't be as easy in the regular season, and there will be times when even the right play call will be flubbed.

But based on how I've seen Gailey change things up in the last 2 games, I actually have a glimmer of hope for the O.

BTW, on the Parrish TD, a beautifully designed and executed play. Parrish out wide right, Evans in the slot. He and Parrish crossed..Evans freezes the safety. Parrish runs a drag route, 5 yards underneath the Lb's playing in a 10 yard zone. Parrish is actually hit with the ball in stride for a change, and lotsa luck to any Lb in the league chasing down Sco with a 5 yard cushion.

psubills62
08-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree. It's refreshing to see this happening, preseason or not. If they can keep up this kind of offensive performance into the regular season, think of what this team could do with good WR's, OL, and a good QB.

streetkings01
08-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Thats the reason why we were only able to beat bad teams and always lose to good teams........lack of adjustments! You can get away with it against the bad teams, but against the good teams in-game adjusments are mandatory! Main reason we always lose to the Pats.......they always seem to adjust to what we're doing and we never do!

wmoz11
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
It was nice to see a coach realize that if pass protection isn't a strength, you combat it with quick throws, screens, roll outs, etc. We actually seem to have a well-rounded playbook for once.

cookie G
08-29-2010, 03:50 PM
It was nice to see a coach realize that if pass protection isn't a strength, you combat it with quick throws, screens, roll outs, etc. We actually seem to have a well-rounded playbook for once.

He was able to adjust in KC too. When he took over the Chiefs, they basically had Brian Waters and a bunch of also rans. Brandon Albert was a rookie, had moved from guard to LT and was really struggling. The pass game was horrific, the run game was nonexistent.

In that case, he went to the spread (something I thought he might do here). But what that did was allow Thigpen to get rid of the ball quicker, and by opening wider splits for the linemen, it created running lanes for Thigpen.

Teams had to then watch for him running. Eventually the running game became more productive. It wasn't perfect, but it was lightyears ahead of how they started the year.

I'll give him one thing, he seems to have a knack for utilizing talents and minimizing deficiencies.

elltrain22
08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Our coaching staff is soooooo much better than last year. Not only are they smart, but they are good at developing the talent on this team. I can think of about 5-6 guys already that look 100% better. Yeah, its preseason, so ya gotta tamper your expectations, and be realistic, but you can see a glaring difference.

Another thing I'd like to say, every game more, makes me hate Jauron that much more. Anyone else feel the same?

Mike in Syracuse
08-29-2010, 07:06 PM
In other words from the Cincy sideline:

"We heard that Edwards couldn't throw the ball. T.O. told us this guy was all Cpt. Checkdown and everything like that. So we blitz them hard on the first series and we were all like, YEAH, that T.O is spot on, Edwards is teh suxor."

"BUT, then they come out an that Checkdown dude's coaches adjust and he's like throwin the ball all over the place. Then he throws it to little dude Parrish and he score but we're all thinking that was luck."

"Then that Spiller gets ramped up and he's like wicked fast and we can't catch him. So we're like OMG WTF????"

methos4ever
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
BTW, on the Parrish TD, a beautifully designed and executed play. Parrish out wide right, Evans in the slot. He and Parrish crossed..Evans freezes the safety. Parrish runs a drag route, 5 yards underneath the Lb's playing in a 10 yard zone. Parrish is actually hit with the ball in stride for a change, and lotsa luck to any Lb in the league chasing down Sco with a 5 yard cushion.

One more note on that TD - look at Stevie out wide on the left. He runs a deep post, with Stupar running a flat route that bends to almost a wheel. Those two routes helped get Parrish one on one with the LB. If that had been a zone, either Stevie, Stupar or Evans (with a corner/flag route on) would have been open. That was a darn good play.

Throne Logic
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Thats the reason why we were only able to beat bad teams and always lose to good teams........lack of adjustments! You can get away with it against the bad teams, but against the good teams in-game adjusments are mandatory! Main reason we always lose to the Pats.......they always seem to adjust to what we're doing and we never do!

YES!

And also why so many of those eventual losses were of the heart wrenching variety in the 4th quarter.

Turf
08-29-2010, 11:30 PM
One more note on that TD - look at Stevie out wide on the left. He runs a deep post, with Stupar running a flat route that bends to almost a wheel. Those two routes helped get Parrish one on one with the LB. If that had been a zone, either Stevie, Stupar or Evans (with a corner/flag route on) would have been open. That was a darn good play.

That's what good coaching will do. And thats why I keep telling everyone the talent on this team is not that bad. Not worldbeaters yet, but not that bad. Think about what they accomplished on the field with the coaching staff they had last year. Remarkable really. They never had a chance playing with the table tilted against them every game.