PDA

View Full Version : yahoo: worst to first

trapezeus
08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
the yahoo video on this was bland and uninteresting. jason cole and mike silver refused to even listen to the bills as a candidate to go from worst in their division to first. they picked the redskins, the chiefs, the browns and the lions as possibles.

without gettinig in over my head with the preseason results and the new look offense, i don't know why the bills can't be considered in that group.

1. our coach isn't fighting with our best defensive player like the redskins have.
2. we don't have a coach who has the blank stare and no changes to make like the browns do. they give holmgren more chance walking in on a bad team just because of his name.
3. we have more talent than the chiefs at this point. chiefs are in a bad division so they do have a shot and both reporters acknowledged as much.
4. lions are still a ways off. they're getting better, and i could see them turning it around with chicago struggling, minnesota in bad shape injury wise and greenbay having problems on defense.

all they said about the bills was that the QB situation is tragically bad.

THRILLHO
08-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Well both the Lions and Redskins will have better records than us this year. I wouldnt choose us for Worst to First.

trapezeus
08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
i would. i think our division is grossly overrated this year. pats are old, jets will let down, dolphins are still just chugging along as a middling team. We have as good a shot as any if the offense can churn the clock and put up 6 instead of 3.

BillsOwnAll
08-29-2010, 02:48 PM
i would. i think our division is grossly overrated this year. pats are old, jets will let down, dolphins are still just chugging along as a middling team. We have as good a shot as any if the offense can churn the clock and put up 6 instead of 3.

....Wow i agree with trap!. Our division is TERRIBLE. Pats def might be worst in the league this year. Fins are a .500 club. Jets will have to rely on sanchez too much i dont know if thats a good thing. Like trap said if we put up 6 instead of 3 well be in it till the end.

Prov401
08-29-2010, 03:52 PM
....Wow i agree with trap!. Our division is TERRIBLE. Pats def might be worst in the league this year. Fins are a .500 club. Jets will have to rely on sanchez too much i dont know if thats a good thing. Like trap said if we put up 6 instead of 3 well be in it till the end.

I'm hoping this is sarcasm..?

Brady has looked very sharp. Although I will say, the Pats defense doesn't scare me a bit, as it has in the past. They have no veteran leadership on that side of the ball.

The Jets are total opposite. Their offense doesn't scare me at all. However, their defense is rock solid, and should be in the top 5.

The Dolphins aren't that good, and I see a 6-8 win season out of them.

I think we can compete in our division this year. Win it? Probably not. But I truly beleive if we can generate a pass rush that we can beat the Pats once this year.

BillsOwnAll
08-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Brady has looked very sharp. Although I will say, the Pats defense doesn't scare me a bit, as it has in the past. They have no veteran leadership on that side of the ball.

Brady looking sharp helps there def how...? What vetrean leadership are you talking about?

YardRat
08-29-2010, 05:01 PM
When you least expect it......expect it.

G Wolly
08-29-2010, 05:06 PM

When he said "def" he meant "Defense" not "definitely"

psubills62
08-29-2010, 05:12 PM
the yahoo video on this was bland and uninteresting. jason cole and mike silver refused to even listen to the bills as a candidate to go from worst in their division to first. they picked the redskins, the chiefs, the browns and the lions as possibles.

without gettinig in over my head with the preseason results and the new look offense, i don't know why the bills can't be considered in that group.

1. our coach isn't fighting with our best defensive player like the redskins have.
2. we don't have a coach who has the blank stare and no changes to make like the browns do. they give holmgren more chance walking in on a bad team just because of his name.
3. we have more talent than the chiefs at this point. chiefs are in a bad division so they do have a shot and both reporters acknowledged as much.
4. lions are still a ways off. they're getting better, and i could see them turning it around with chicago struggling, minnesota in bad shape injury wise and greenbay having problems on defense.

Surprisingly enough, I looked at ESPN magazine's NFL preview today and they had the Chiefs listed as winning the division. That's based on a certain number of simulations.

In the end, there's a lot of hype about certain teams. I don't believe any of those teams truly have a better shot than Buffalo does.

Throne Logic
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
In truth, we really don't know what this team is capable of. If everyone stays healthy and the coaches make good decisions, we might very well see them challenge for the division title.

Many folks are quick to judge the ("lack of") talent on the Bills roster.

However, in the very next breath, they talk about how horrible the coaching has been in Buffalo. The third breath speaks of Buffalo leading the league in injuries 3 of the past 4 years.

It would not shock me one bit if there are up to a half-dozen players on the roster who suddenly "get it" this season and have big years. i.e. Trent Edwards

better days
08-29-2010, 10:07 PM
In truth, we really don't know what this team is capable of. If everyone stays healthy and the coaches make good decisions, we might very well see them challenge for the division title.

Many folks are quick to judge the ("lack of") talent on the Bills roster.

However, in the very next breath, they talk about how horrible the coaching has been in Buffalo. The third breath speaks of Buffalo leading the league in injuries 3 of the past 4 years.

It would not shock me one bit if there are up to a half-dozen players on the roster who suddenly "get it" this season and have big years. i.e. Trent Edwards

And the AFC East did not go from bad to good this year. The Bills have been playing in a tough division for some time now & even with Dick as HC managed about 7 Wins per year.

Extremebillsfan247
08-30-2010, 11:57 AM

The Patriots still have Brady, Moss, and a healthy Wes Welker, not to mention one of the craftiest coaches in the NFL, Bill Belichick. We don't call him Belicheat for nothing. lol As long as that group is together, it's going to be pretty difficult to see the Bills at the top of this division. So worst to first might very well be out of the question here. We have to learn to win before we can dominate, and that will take time. We've only had one winning season in the last 10 years. Not to overuse this old adage but Rome wasn't built in a day. A division champion wont be either, at least not in Buffalo. We have a long way to go and a lot to prove before we can take that kind of a step. JMO

psubills62
08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm guessing that most of the "worst to first" occurrences have come about because of the NFC South and the NFC West.

northernbillfan
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
It's a long shot, but not impossible.

That said, are we being over optimistic due to the play of the last two preseason games, against second and third stringers fighting for a position on the team?

psubills62
08-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing that most of the "worst to first" occurrences have come about because of the NFC South and the NFC West.

After a quick look, it appears that going from worst to first has happened 10 times in the past 6 years. Half of them have come from the NFC South. Eight of those 10 have come from the NFC, with the Chargers (worst in 2003, first in 2004) and Dolphins (worst in 2007, first in 2008) being the only AFC representatives.

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
It's a long shot, but not impossible.

That said, are we being over optimistic due to the play of the last two preseason games, against second and third stringers fighting for a position on the team?
You do realize that our starters put 42 points against starters, right? Indy was all in the 1Q. I just rewatched the Bengals game and they played their #1 defense the entire first half. So what's the excuse now?

PTR

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 02:34 PM
You do realize that our starters put 42 points against starters, right? Indy was all in the 1Q. I just rewatched the Bengals game and they played their #1 defense the entire first half. So what's the excuse now?

PTR

First, no they didn't. See Ingtar's response to you in the other thread.

Second, a lot of people on this board are in for a rude awakening because they are underrating the Fins and the Jets. As far as the Patriots go, their D looks slow but their O still seems to be extremely efficient. They should still win the division.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
First, no they didn't. See Ingtar's response to you in the other thread.

Second, a lot of people on this board are in for a rude awakening because they are underrating the Fins and the Jets. As far as the Patriots go, their D looks slow but their O still seems to be extremely efficient. They should still win the division.

I'm fine with Ingtar's response, but I don't think people are underrating the Dolphins and Jets. I think a lot of places overrated those two teams to begin with and now expectations are coming back down to reality. Even when the Jets beat us last year, it was by 6 points. Not exactly a dominating victory for them. Both teams have questions that most analysts just gloss over.

The Patriots offense looked decent, but not great (at least not until the Rams' backups came in). If our defense was a little better, I'd have hope of beating them, but not yet this year.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
With the Jets, it comes down almost entirely on Sanchez. The rest of that team is solid. If Sanchez can be average, they'll be fine, and if he can be slightly better than average, the Jets may do some damage. If he's bad, the team will struggle.

Like pretty much everyone here, I hate the Jets because they're division rivals. And as a Notre Dame fan, I have extra hatred for Sanchez because he's from USC. So I'd like nothing more than to see them go down HARD (well, if the Bills aren't going to win it, I'd rather see them win then the Patriots, but I do want to see the Jets crash and burn). But I just don't see it happening. I think Sanchez will hold his own and the Jets will get a wild card.

Keep in mind that Sanchez was a rookie last year. I don't know why people always think Bills rookies can get better but forget about that for our opponents.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
With the Jets, it comes down almost entirely on Sanchez. The rest of that team is solid. If Sanchez can be average, they'll be fine, and if he can be slightly better than average, the Jets may do some damage. If he's bad, the team will struggle.

Like pretty much everyone here, I hate the Jets because they're division rivals. And as a Notre Dame fan, I have extra hatred for Sanchez because he's from USC. So I'd like nothing more than to see them go down HARD (well, if the Bills aren't going to win it, I'd rather see them win then the Patriots, but I do want to see the Jets crash and burn). But I just don't see it happening. I think Sanchez will hold his own and the Jets will get a wild card.

Keep in mind that Sanchez was a rookie last year. I don't know why people always think Bills rookies can get better but forget about that for our opponents.

I agree that theoretically the rest of the team is solid. However, there are still question marks. Alan Faneca is gone. Santonio Holmes suspended the first four games. Revis is holding out. Pace is out with a foot injury for 4-6 weeks. So basically, some of their best players at their respective positions won't be there when we play them early on. Greene hasn't proven he can handle being the lead back, and while Tomlinson has impressed this preseason, I'm still not convinced he's good enough.

I don't doubt that Sanchez CAN get better. It's the same as with the Bills - we'll have to see. He hasn't exactly been stellar during the preseason. It is just preseason, but he should put up statlines better than 5/10 for 12 yards if he's improved as much as people believe.

EDS
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I think the Raiders have a better chance of making significant improvement than the Bills.

Eventually
08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I say why not. It is a long shot but really all of those teams mentioned are as well. Redskins may have the best shot of any of those teams listed, but I still see them fighting with philly and New York to sort that division out. Dallas, as bad as they've looked in preseason is really in a league all to themselves compared with those 3. But the skins have significantly upgraded their team, and Mcnabb if he stay's healthy, which is already in question, has shown an ability to make less than stellar receivers shine. That said I see it Dallas, Philadelphia, NYG, Washington still.

Cleveland is not going to overcome any of those teams. Pittsburgh may look like it's falling for the first few weeks but once they get Ben back they'll turn it around in a hurry. Baltimore and Cincinatti are head and shoulders above the other two. Baltimore, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

KC yeah they are in a very poor division and with their upgrades, most significant being the coordinators will improve their team. Berry already looks like the leader on that defense, Bowe looks like Bowe from his rookie year, even better actually. McCluster will be used alot but that's about as far as they go, they are also realistically a few years away. I feel it'll sort itself out like SD, OAK, DEN, KC.

Jacksonville hasn't made real improvement. Sure Alualu had been looking good, but boy did they reach on him, passing him a cast of players who could have made them significantly better. I get their whole not having a second round pick thing, but if they had their hearts set on him, trade down and do it later. This franchise IMO is biding it's time until it moves. Tennessee looks better, Houston looks the same if not better, Indy is Indy. Final standings, unless something crazy happens, i.e. manning gets hurt that division will be INDY, HOU, TEN, JAX.

Detroit has improved greatly but GB is the cream of the crop here. Minnesota is not going to give them a run for their money with Rice going down, an aged offensive line, a QB that still has it, but also has a weak ankle, that he even admitted that he has no idea how long it will last, but they are still better than Detroit and Chicago, which I feel is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Martz offers no support to the line in terms of RB/FB, Dual TE's etc.. Cutler's been getting killed already, and has already started calling out his lineman, and more subtly the play calling. This division should be GB, MIN, DET, CHI

This is really starting to get repetitive, but TB will marginally improve. Seems like they've found two steals in our man Mike, and Huggins, Freeman will improve and their d-line should be nasty. Nonetheless I see this division sorting itself out early. NO, ATL, CAR, TB same as last year. ATL will give NO a brief run for their money, but it won't be good enough. TB has no chance IMO.

The Rams. Got a franchise QB. OK. Lost a mediocre receiver they were counting on being a 1, really no big deal, Robinson and Amendola will be fine. The point is they'll be terrible again, worst team in football period. The division though is up for grabs. Lots of scenarios out there, I for one am really not sure how it will turn out. I can see a case where each of SF, ARI and SEA finishing in 1,2 or 3rd place but I feel it'll be SF, SEA, ARI, STL when all is said and done.

Finally we get to our division. Miami made some splashes, some really nice moves, Henne has a year, well 3/4 of a year under his belt. Brown is back, Ricky is ready, but they have issues on the line, a very young secondary and after Marshall none of their receivers scare me, as much as I like Hartline and Bess as players they are both 3's. NE has Brady and Belichek, Moss and Welker, see how the line plays this year, Volmer should be better, Mankins who knows really? There defense shouldn't have scared anyone, and that was before argubly their best defensive player went down. They are certainly in the mix. The jets are the sexy pick but they have a lot of serious issues they have to deal with. Rex might be entertaining to fans, may have inspired his players last year, but if that team would have faced Indy's starters they wouldn't have made the playoffs, and instead of fixing things the right way they went and called Daniel Snyder before they went shopping, Names, Names and Names. Problem is Cromartie is not what he once was and has looked it so far, Taylor is old, but still can play at a high level but at this point he's really suited best to come in at specific plays, which was the case, but with the heart and soul of their defense going down for 4-6 weeks, he now has to play every down, unless they really want to give Gholston another shot. Not having Revis is going to hurt more than they think. Their defense is really predicated on being dominant in coverage, which gives their linebackers more time to attack the pocket in pass coverage. Running against them will still be difficult but not as much now that pace is down. Still will be a top 10 defense but no longer are they a concensus best, I'll give GB or NO that award right now. On Offense they added Holmes, which is a big pick up, but he won't help them for 4 weeks because of his suspension. They got LT, but he's only a backup at this point, and having TJ and Greene and Washington is a much better combo than what they are dealing with now. Letting Faneca go was poorly worked out as well, and I've heard it didn't necessarily sit well with some of the players. They'll have a raw player taking his place. Sanchez has been saying all the right things, but he's looked shaky so far. We all talk about the Bills each and everyday so I won't spend as much time on them. But will say it was foolish IMO that they omitted us out, not even giving us a chance at all. We will be better this year, yeah preseason is PS, but that is why I'm so impressed, they are doing this on offense without utilizing a playbook. Gailey will devise a game plan each and every week, I have full optimism we will score points this year. Our D will be rocky and I'm just hoping the ST are not nearly as poor as they've looked in PS.

The way I see the division playing itself out is NE, BUF, NYJ, MIA. Yes I just said that. I picked 8-8 a week or so ago, well I should have waited because now I think we'll be 9-7, Pats 10-6, Jets 9-7, also but we'll have head to head, that away game was a loss in my book before, Miami7-9

Hope everyone enjoyed. What started off as a quick reply, turned into a full blown season preview, I realized it early on, but said what the heck.

ublinkwescore
08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
All I've got to say is Rex Ryan came in and took a mediocre at best team all the way to the AFC Championship last season. Why is it so far fetched to foresee a coach with a reputation of getting the most out of sub par talent into the playoffs at least?

THRILLHO
08-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Well both the Lions and Redskins will have better records than us this year. I wouldnt choose us for Worst to First.

To whomever negged me for this post, lets put some friendly zonebucks down. 20k says that The Lions and the Redskins will have a better record than us this year.

ublinkwescore
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
To whomever negged me for this post, lets put some friendly zonebucks down. 20k says that The Lions and the Redskins will have a better record than us this year.

I'll put down 5k.

Extremebillsfan247
08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
I think the Raiders have a better chance of making significant improvement than the Bills. That will depend solely on Al Davis and how much power he is willing to relinquish to that coaching staff. He is well known for micromanaging the Raiders. That is primarily the reason for their struggles over the years. The way he sees it is that its his team, and he will do what ever he wants to do with it, whether they have a good head coach or not.

THRILLHO
09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I'll put down 5k.

Cool, 5K it is.

Five thousand I hope to lose btw.