PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still think. . .?

TigerJ
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not asking for predictions on wins. Other threads have done that. Remembering preseason a year ago, the Bills were really pathetic on offense. There just wasn't any. Now, Trent is looking pretty good, the running backs look solid top to bottom, and the blocking hasn't been too bad even (and they havent even had the eventual starters together for more than a few plays). The defense seems like they haven't tipped their hand on what they'll do in the regular season, but they have been OK except for that first game.

I know the opponents will have a lot to do with the number of games the Bills will win, and I don't care to predict that number. However, I have to believe this is a better team right now than they were a year ago. I will be at least a little surprised if the record doesn't reflect that. If there is anyone who disagrees with me, I would be interested in hearing your reasoning.

YardRat
08-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm hoping you're right.

ddaryl
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
record wise we could end up 5-11 but in no way would I consider that being worse then last season...

I'm looking for a team showing some consistencies on the O, and getting better on D in the new 3-4 scheme.

I'm looking for a team that its coaches make game time adjustments, and solid game time decisions,

I'm looking for a team that doesn't disappear in the 4th quarter, but shows it still has gas in the tank.

I'm looking for a team that can take some good playoff teams the distance and never looking completely outmatched.

psubills62
08-29-2010, 05:18 PM
I think in the end, the record will be about the same as last year. However, I think we'll see a lot more promise and potential being realized during the season. We've got a ton of young players, especially on defense, who will get better as the season goes on. The record may or may not directly reflect it, but I agree - we'll be better than we were last year.

G Wolly
08-29-2010, 05:20 PM
It's hard for us to be worse than last season.

We can only get better from here.

I hope.

more cowbell
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
3-13 but actually showing flashes of potential

seanbillsfan
08-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Division title *****ez

PromoTheRobot
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
3-13 but actually showing flashes of potential
3-13 from 6-10 is not flashing potential. It's moving backwards. We will not move backwards. 9-7.

PTR

SquishDaFish
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Im thinking 8-10 wins. But just showing that we are going in the right direction will make me happy.

justasportsfan
08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I still think our D will go through growing pains. But I'm confident we're gonna grow the right direction.

TMu11
08-30-2010, 05:10 AM
I refuse to take this preseason as a flash of brilliance. What we've seen is that an NFl quarterback can throw the ball... Great, I'd really hope so.

We've seen that we have a dynamic running game... we knew that.
We've seen that Jauron's coaching sucked... we knew that.
We've seen that our D-Backs are the highlight of our Def.... we knew that.
We've seen that we STILL CANT STOP THE RUN... This is the most condemning, since its an obvious, glaring weakness. If we don't get it in check, we will NOT be better, even IF Trent figured out how to get the ball to his own teammates. I will not be optomistic until its proven when the time matters, not during a 20 minute scrimmage with no bearing on record.

But yeah, I hope we're better too

Buffalogic
08-30-2010, 05:20 AM
The bills are a lock for at least 7 wins. Predictions of three wins or fewer are very ignorable.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Depends on how you define worse.

In record yes I think they will win less games but I dont think that's a step backwards at all. The record this year (for me) is meaningless, I dont expect them to challenge or win many so Im not concerned about that.

However do I think we will still see them playing undisciplined and sloppy football every week? No, and I think we'll see younger players begin to grow due to solid fundamental based football coaching instead lazy coaching.

I think our team will be on a far better track this season but I dont think that immediately translates to win this season. Next season and the year after are what Im looking forward to.

This preseason boner many seem to have happens every time we win a game, its the preseason it doesn't matter. The Lions have gone 4-0 like two out of the last four years and have shown great offensive potential just to get their ass kicked when the games counted.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
This preseason boner many seem to have happens every time we win a game, its the preseason it doesn't matter. The Lions have gone 4-0 like two out of the last four years and have shown great offensive potential just to get their ass kicked when the games counted.

I agree with your post except for the last paragraph. I'm pretty sure no one cares about winning the game. It's the fact that we're finally seeing a competent offense that can move the ball relatively consistently that gets people excited. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

BigZ
08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I refuse to be sucked in and think we're gonna be good this year. We're in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL and have a very tough schedule. Who are we going to realistically beat? Browns, Carolina, KC and maybe one Miami game are realistic and maybe we can upset one or two more.

The issue, like Draftboy said is whether we show some guts, consistency and get the young guys some experience.

I'll be really happy to see less injuries and some close games.

trapezeus
08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
this is too hard to tell. in the games we looked good on offense, our defense was getting killed. If the colts and bengals starters stayed out there the entire game, it wouldn't necessarily have been wins for the Bills.

On the flip side, regardless of record, the bills are already much more enjoyable to watch.

I still think the hurdles set up by jauron are too great to solve in one year. If Gailey wanted to just squeak into the playoffs, he'd have kept the 4-3 and benefited by having players playing the positions familar with them.

but gailey wants to mold the team into his own and most likely into something that he feels is a better fit long term.

Night Train
08-30-2010, 10:29 AM
The record in 2010 could possibly be worse but this crew (Nix/Whaley/Gailey) look to have an actual plan with the long term outlook far more promising. I'm not going to expect much this season at all, in year 1 of a rebuild. Still need another off-season.

The playcalling looks to be the best in 10 + years.

Next up, identifying the players from the pretenders for the 3-4 D.

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Compare the Bills starters in pre-season 2010 to 2009...a real eye-opener:

2010 starters after 3 games:
6 TD's
16 pts avg.
22-37/304 yds/2 TDs/1 INT
133 yds rushing/2 TDs

2009 starters after 5 games:
0 TD's
0.6 pts avg.!! (not a typo!)
35-55/262 yds/0 TDs/3 INT
97 yds rushing/0 TDs

We have already blown away our 5-game 2009 performance in 3 games! Heck, we blew it away in 1 quarter!!!

PTR

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with your post except for the last paragraph. I'm pretty sure no one cares about winning the game. It's the fact that we're finally seeing a competent offense that can move the ball relatively consistently that gets people excited. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

My point isnt about the winning its about exactly what you are talking about. People are getting excited because they see a competent offense in a preseason game where most schemes are blander than vanilla.

Hopefully its translates, I agree there but people being asked to eat crow about Trent Edwards or others perdiciting no less than 7 wins or playoff contention are going way out on a limb that Im not sure can support their bold statements.

Night Train
08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
My point isnt about the winning its about exactly what you are talking about. People are getting excited because they see a competent offense in a preseason game where most schemes are blander than vanilla.

Hopefully its translates, I agree there but people being asked to eat crow about Trent Edwards or others perdiciting no less than 7 wins or playoff contention are going way out on a limb that Im not sure can support their bold statements.

Agreed

Counting just wins isn't always the measure. Jauron was Mr. 7-9 and it was NEVER going to get better. That was his ceiling. So the inevitable rebuild year was coming and here it is.

Enter Gailey and a possible 5 win year while he sorts out the roster. The difference is you can look into the tunnel and actually see light, rather than a brick wall. Light = an actual long term plan.

One step back to take 2-3 steps forward. Come on now, we all know our roster. It's not without talent but it needs more work.

Finally pointing the arrow up after years of pointing it sideways or down.

Encouraging.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Agreed

Counting just wins isn't always the measure. Jauron was Mr. 7-9 and it was NEVER going to get better. That was his ceiling. So the inevitable rebuild year was coming and here it is.

Enter Gailey and a possible 5 win year while he sorts out the roster. The difference is you can look into the tunnel and actually see light, rather than a brick wall. Light = an actual long term plan.

One step back to take 2-3 steps forward. Come on now, we all know our roster. It's not without talent but it needs more work.

Finally pointing the arrow up after years of pointing it sideways or down.

Encouraging.

Agreed and Im not trying to be a pesimist, I just think people are failing to see the forest in the trees (is that the right saying?) they are only seeing what they want to see and that's understandable given how frustrated our fanbase is and they have every right to be. However I think people perdicting these grand seasons are going to be severly disappointed and in the end pissed off yet again thus restarting the cycle.

We need a coach in here who can stay for at least 5-7 years and build the ****ing roster up. 3 years is really not enough time.

baalworship
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I am all for taking a step back to take 2 steps forward. This team is playing new schemes and has gotten rid of better veterans to play younger guys more. TO is better than Steve Johnson but we had to move on.

Schobel is gone and despite the complaints he was our best defensive player. Our defense and special teams both look WORSE. Our offense is better mainly from Gailey calling plays vs Van Pelt.

I still see 3-5 wins this year with 1 win in the division which I expect to be opening day vs the Dolphins.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
We need a coach in here who can stay for at least 5-7 years and build the ****ing roster up. 3 years is really not enough time.

But do you honestly think Jauron would have gotten it done if he had another 2-3 years? Or Mularkey? Yes, it may take that long to truly establish a good team, but when you have the wrong guys, you have to give up on them sooner or later.

That's why I was so ****ing pissed when we hired Jauron- I knew in 3-4 years we'd be in this situation all over again. I'm still not sold on Gailey as the coach who can resurrect this team, but I am 100% sold on the fact that he's better than Jauron.

Extremebillsfan247
08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not asking for predictions on wins. Other threads have done that. Remembering preseason a year ago, the Bills were really pathetic on offense. There just wasn't any. Now, Trent is looking pretty good, the running backs look solid top to bottom, and the blocking hasn't been too bad even (and they havent even had the eventual starters together for more than a few plays). The defense seems like they haven't tipped their hand on what they'll do in the regular season, but they have been OK except for that first game.

I know the opponents will have a lot to do with the number of games the Bills will win, and I don't care to predict that number. However, I have to believe this is a better team right now than they were a year ago. I will be at least a little surprised if the record doesn't reflect that. If there is anyone who disagrees with me, I would be interested in hearing your reasoning.

Although I wont reach for my Louisville slugger to put a damper on enthusiasms, I will say that from today's standpoint after the excitement has worn off from the Cincy game, that this team got a little worse in an effort to get better.

Let me explain, First CJ Spiller is a great talent, and could very well be the guy that turns it around for this team. But we have to remind ourselves here that as good of a talent as he is, he is still just a rookie. He will have his share of rookie mistakes over the course of the season. He will be playing behind an offensive line that is still trying to work itself out. Trent looks good but just like our defense, other defenses are running very basic packages. We will see something a lot different out of defenses in the regular season. That is a guarantee.

On defense, our linebacker group will most likely struggle more than any other part of our defense to adjust to the new 3/4 scheme this year. The evidence of that is already painfully obvious. Go back and watch all 3 pre season games so far and you will see that this group is the most commonly beaten of the first team defense so far. It is possible that this obvious crutch could see this defense plummet in performance this year, and we may end up seeing them anywhere from middle of the pack to bottom of the league stats wise. This defense as it stands now will most likely cost us some close games in the regular season.

Special teams need a lot of work. Bobby April is already being missed by some on this very board. DeHaven will eventually get the ball rolling on that but right now it looks like the weakest part of our team, and even Brian Moorman is feeling it. Punting and kicking coverages have been horrible, one of the worst in the preseason among NFL teams so far. Even though we have yet to turn the ball over on pr and kr, we haven't exactly been stellar in that department either.

Overall the changes made will have a cost, but they were necessary. The team will most likely struggle early on to find its legs because of those changes. But I have little doubt that Gailey will have this team playing competitive football as early as midseason this year. But we will endure some lumps and bruises along the way. We need to be prepared for that. JMO

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
But do you honestly think Jauron would have gotten it done if he had another 2-3 years? Or Mularkey? Yes, it may take that long to truly establish a good team, but when you have the wrong guys, you have to give up on them sooner or later.

That's why I was so ****ing pissed when we hired Jauron- I knew in 3-4 years we'd be in this situation all over again. I'm still not sold on Gailey as the coach who can resurrect this team, but I am 100% sold on the fact that he's better than Jauron.

Did I say that about either of those two coaches? Im simply saying given how fluid this fanbase is on one day loving you and the next dayin hating you, we need to be very careful to not turn on Gailey just because he goes X-X this year, or next year.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Did I say that about either of those two coaches? Im simply saying given how fluid this fanbase is on one day loving you and the next dayin hating you, we need to be very careful to not turn on Gailey just because he goes X-X this year, or next year.

Depends how and why we end up at X-X. If we have a poor record this year because we lack talent, well, Gailey was playing the hand he was dealt and he can't really be blamed for that. If we have a poor record because Gailey wastes time-outs, makes inadequate in-game adjustments, plays not to lose, and mismanages the clock, then the fan base would have every right to turn on him.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Eh, I can't really blame people for being that excited - I'm getting there, although I still think 8-8 is a best-case scenario for this team. It's been too long since real football has been played. You're right, people are making bold statements.

Another thing people easily forget about is that both of the solid/good offensive performances have come against 4-3 defenses. Anyone remember which defense Edwards' weakness is against? I think we'll find out in the first 4 weeks how far Edwards has really come in his development.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Depends how and why we end up at X-X. If we have a poor record this year because we lack talent, well, Gailey was playing the hand he was dealt and he can't really be blamed for that. If we have a poor record because Gailey wastes time-outs, makes inadequate in-game adjustments, plays not to lose, and mismanages the clock, then the fan base would have every right to turn on him.

I love this fan base has a "right" comment, that's funny. But that's a different discussion for a different time and day.

Everything you name in the bolded is based on fans perception which is rarely, if ever, non-bias so excuse me if I dont agree that the fan base has a "right" to turn on a coach because they perceive he is doing poorly.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I love this fan base has a "right" comment, that's funny. But that's a different discussion for a different time and day.

Everything you name in the bolded is based on fans perception which is rarely, if ever, non-bias so excuse me if I dont agree that the fan base has a "right" to turn on a coach because they perceive he is doing poorly.

Fan bias? Oh please. I think it's rather obvious when those mistakes have been made. And if you pay attention, many of the people who pointed these things out about Jauron weren't just Bills fans- it was fans of other teams and and national media people who could care less about Buffalo as well.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Fan bias? Oh please. I think it's rather obvious when those mistakes have been made. And if you pay attention, many of the people who pointed these things out about Jauron weren't just Bills fans- it was fans of other teams and and national media people who could care less about Buffalo as well.

Have you read the zone lately? Or ever?

We all have our own biases, some more positive some more negative, so yes bias absolutely does exist.

Again you're attempting to make this about one coach or another when its not about them. Yes we need to learn from past mistakes with Jauron and Co. But if you expect me to believe that the average fan is going to know what a real in game adjustment is even if it doesnt change the score all that much I think you're blowing smoke.

For example, in the HS game I went to on Friday night, my old high school was getting beat 9-7 but on offense they couldnt really do much because the ROLB was running wild at their QB and RB and making a play all the time. They tried chipping him and running a TE over there but it wasn't working, so the coach made an adjustment. He started to run bunch formations to either side, sending guys in motion. In other words through his offense he made the defense re-adjust its alignment and packages through small changes that hardly anyone noticed outside of me and two other guys in the press box but that ROLB had zero tackles in the 4th Q and even though my HS lost the game they kept their QB upright. Walking back to my car I heard countless parents talking about how the coach doesnt know what he was doing (1st game as a head coach btw) and why didnt he throw deep more and this that and the other.

My point is this, and its about perception, just because you or I, or Peter King for that matter see it this way, doesn't always make it that way. I miss stuff all the time myself, that I have people come behind me on and point out to me. Football is a hell of a lot more complicated than we give it credit (I think guys like Coach Sal and Ing would agree with me on that) and even though Id like to think I know a lot about the game, Ive only really begun to learn about it over the past few months, so again excuse me if I dont have faith in "the fans" perspective on how they view certain things. Plus you have to keep in mind my thoughts on people in general, which I remind you that you agree with.

Ingtar33
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
the o-line and defensive front 7 are going to absolutely kill us this year.

But while i think we'll be more entertaining to watch, i don't think our record will change all that much. we'll probably go 6-10 again (which is better then the 5-11 or 4-12 feeling i was getting before the preseason)

I do have 1 concern... most of the Bills offense with the 1st team is coming against 2nd stringers.

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
the o-line and defensive front 7 are going to absolutely kill us this year.

But while i think we'll be more entertaining to watch, i don't think our record will change all that much. we'll probably go 6-10 again (which is better then the 5-11 or 4-12 feeling i was getting before the preseason)

I do have 1 concern... most of the Bills offense with the 1st team is coming against 2nd stringers.

Wrong. I just rewatched the Bengals game and Cinci's 1st string D played the entire first half. The Bills scored 21 in the 1Q against Indy...against their starters!

The haters keep trying to make excuses but can't. I suppose now if we score 28 on Detroit that won't prove anything because it's the Lions?

PTR

Ingtar33
08-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Wrong. I just rewatched the Bengals game and Cinci's 1st string D played the entire first half. The Bills scored 21 in the 1Q against Indy...against their starters! The haters keep trying to make excuses but can't.

PTR

Indy was sitting selected starters on it's number 1 defense after the 1st series. Hell this is the same Colts team you're talking about that EVERY year in the preseason seems to be trying to lose by 100 points or more, almost like it's their goal. That's just how the Colts play in the preseason.

As to the Bengals, the were playing largely their 2nd string defense from about the 10 minute mark of quarter 2, with a few first stringers rotating off the bench to give them breathers.

-Side note-

Don’t be so freaking defensive, the team has shown more this preseason then they did last preseason. I’m just saying you should temper your enthusiasm because it’s not as “good” as it looks

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Indy was sitting selected starters on it's number 1 defense after the 1st series. Hell this is the same Colts team you're talking about that EVERY year in the preseason seems to be trying to lose by 100 points or more, almost like it's their goal. That's just how the Colts play in the preseason.

As to the Bengals, the were playing largely their 2nd string defense from about the 10 minute mark of quarter 2, with a few first stringers rotating off the bench to give them breathers.

-Side note-

Don’t be so freaking defensive, the team has shown more this preseason then they did last preseason. I’m just saying you should temper your enthusiasm because it’s not as “good” as it looks

Why do you have to be such a negative nancy? How dare you use facts to make a realistic argument that the Bills actually may NOT win the SB this year!

/sarcasm

Don't try to ruin the homers' delusions by discussing what ACTUALLY happened during the preseason games. They'll just accuse you of being a pessimist and say you are a miserable person trying to make everyone else just as miserable. No one is allowed to criticize the team until after the 8th loss, at which point every post (even the ones written by the homers themselves) reads like it could have been written by me.

Buffalogic
08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
We are so used to getting pounded and being a ****ty team it's hard for some to believe that the team is better, even when it is fairly noticeable.

Spiderweb
08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
It's anybody's guess how this year will turn out. We can only hope they progress this year, but it could actually end up a step backwards. Yet, I believe Gailey is far superior to Jauron in every aspect. For the Bills to improve, the defense will have to start showing some ability to stop the run, and rush the passer with reasonable consistency. Special teams will also have to be solid, which thru the preseason, they have looked as bad as Ronnie Jones ST's of a few years back.

PromoTheRobot
08-30-2010, 06:52 PM
We are so used to getting pounded and being a ****ty team it's hard for some to believe that the team is better, even when it is fairly noticeable.
The Bills have won 13 games in two seasons. (.406)

The Detroit Lions have won 2 games in two seasons. (.063)

Maintain some perspective.

PTR

TigerJ
08-30-2010, 08:03 PM
It would not shock me to see the Bills win the same number of games this season as last or maybe even one less. I could also see them winning one or two more. I don't think they are going to challenge for the playoffs or any such thing. I do however think that Trent looks like he may be ready to play like an NFL QB. The offensive line will not be great, but they were horrible last year. I don't think they will be more horrible this season and mightt be somewhat better if they can stay reasonabley healthy. I agree, Ingtar, that the front seven on the defense might be the team's biggest weakness. It's asking a lot for the veterans to switch both schemes and positions in several cases and play at a high level, and there is a lot of youth too. Preseason record aside, (since it doesn't matter that much) the offense shows more confidence and ability regardless of whether they are playing against first string or second string.

mikemac2001
08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Compare the Bills starters in pre-season 2010 to 2009...a real eye-opener:

2010 starters after 3 games:
6 TD's
16 pts avg.
22-37/304 yds/2 TDs/1 INT
133 yds rushing/2 TDs

2009 starters after 5 games:
0 TD's
0.6 pts avg.!! (not a typo!)
35-55/262 yds/0 TDs/3 INT
97 yds rushing/0 TDs

We have already blown away our 5-game 2009 performance in 3 games! Heck, we blew it away in 1 quarter!!!

PTR

preseason doesnt matter though :list:

Thief
08-30-2010, 09:07 PM
preseason doesnt matter though :list:"Preseason doesn't count, but it matters."

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Wrong. I just rewatched the Bengals game and Cinci's 1st string D played the entire first half. The Bills scored 21 in the 1Q against Indy...against their starters!

The haters keep trying to make excuses but can't. I suppose now if we score 28 on Detroit that won't prove anything because it's the Lions?

PTR

If the preseason games tells a lot , our pass d which was our strength in the cover 2 is struggling with man to man this preseason

Buffalogic
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
If the preseason games tells a lot , our pass d which was our strength in the cover 2 is struggling with man to man this preseasonDBs can't cover all day when blitzes aren't coming. Nobody can.

mikemac2001
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
"Preseason doesn't count, but it matters."

Sorry my sarcasm is off

Ptr comment was important bc yes preseason doesn't count but yes production does

Luisito23
08-31-2010, 06:28 AM
record wise we could end up 5-11 but in no way would I consider that being worse then last season...

I'm looking for a team showing some consistencies on the O, and getting better on D in the new 3-4 scheme.

I'm looking for a team that its coaches make game time adjustments, and solid game time decisions,

I'm looking for a team that doesn't disappear in the 4th quarter, but shows it still has gas in the tank.

I'm looking for a team that can take some good playoff teams the distance and never looking completely outmatched.

I'm just looking for a team that's exciting to watch every Sunday. :mybills:

kelly2reed4six
08-31-2010, 06:50 AM
I think there is a chance they will be mainly because of Special Teams and defense. I think that if this special teams coverage issue isn't resolved it is going to destroy our defense as a result. Even the best defenses will allow scoring if they have to face a very short field series after series. I really feel as though our D has looked worse this preseason because of the poor ST play.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Unless they can score 30+ on average per game...yes.

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 10:29 AM
DBs can't cover all day when blitzes aren't coming. Nobody can.

our db's did fine without any help from the DL last year and hardly any blitzes from Dick. Lankster and Florence are getting killed out there in preseason. Our pass D is ranked 19.

I know it's preseason, that is why I pointed it out to PTR that you can't base much on preseason games.

DraftBoy
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
our db's did fine without any help from the DL last year and hardly any blitzes from Dick. Lankster and Florence are getting killed out there in preseason. Our pass D is ranked 19.

I know it's preseason, that is why I pointed it out to PTR that you can't base much on preseason games.

Last years coverage scheme is going to be very different form this years. Last years results mean very little due to our changed scheme.

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Last years coverage scheme is going to be very different form this years. Last years results mean very little due to our changed scheme.

I agree which is why I am concerned that guys like Florence is struggling vs. man to man in preseason. Maybe they'll get better , maybe they won't but as far as preseason goes we can't really tell, but right now they aren't looking as good as they were last year.

DraftBoy
08-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree which is why I am concerned that guys like Florence is struggling vs. man to man in preseason. Maybe they'll get better , maybe they won't but as far as preseason goes we can't really tell, but right now they aren't looking as good as they were last year.

I agree and a guy like Florence who has years of experience in a man cover situaiton (since he played in one in SD) struggling really concerns me.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 10:52 AM

It's the scheme.

A few people said that the secondary this year would struggle due to the change in scheme and the difference in what the secondary would be asked to do this year.

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree and a guy like Florence who has years of experience in a man cover situaiton (since he played in one in SD) struggling really concerns me.

I wonder if this is the reason why he was cut. Wrong system .

DraftBoy
08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I wonder if this is the reason why he was cut. Wrong system .

Not sure but I know for a fact he did not play man coverage at Texas Tech and that he was brought in here to play in our Cover 2.

madness
08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
I read an article about this same subject. Florence's numbers from last season were an anomaly compared to his career numbers which the author contributed to playing more cover 2. I'll see if I can dig it up.

stuckincincy
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
It's the scheme.

A few people said that the secondary this year would struggle due to the change in scheme and the difference in what the secondary would be asked to do this year.

Whitner may be one. Entering his 5th year, his stats show as having only(!) 11 passes defended and 4 ints. I would have though with the years of frequent cover 2, he would have had more than that...

http://www.nfl.com/players/dontewhitner/profile?id=WHI720119

madness
09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Whitner may be one. Entering his 5th year, his stats show as having only(!) 11 passes defended and 4 ints. I would have though with the years of frequent cover 2, he would have had more than that...

http://www.nfl.com/players/dontewhitner/profile?id=WHI720119

Another situation but on the opposite side. Whitner might actually (and hopefully) progress in a system which more closely mirrors his role at Ohio State.

At strong safety, Whitner has wrestled the starting job back and figures to excel in a system where he can run to the ball and make plays. He had a very strong training camp.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhS15vcDDrxoznDLNyYlGB_.uLYF?slug=teamreports-2010-nfl-buf