PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Trent?

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Most important question of the season. He is in a contract year.

Obviously if he regresses he's gone and we draft a new one. What if his numbers look like this?

65% Comp %
25 Td's
12 Int's
3500 yards
7.5 ypa
16 starts

What do we do? Those would be reachable solid numbers for a NFL starter. How much money do you think he would command? 5-7 Mill a year maybe?

When do we pull the trigger on an extension? We can't let him become a free agant with that season.

It sure would be tough to commit that much to a QB that has had only 1 solid and healthy season. But he sure isn't going to sign for nothing.

If he is decent this will be of massive debate.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
If those are his numbers this year, offer him an incentive-based contract going forward. If he holds out for guaranteed money, let him walk and let some other team give it to him.

If he sucks again this year, just let him walk, or at best offer him the backup slot at a backup's salary.

Stewie
08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
no way we should let our young qb walk after we're the ones that developed him on the field. If he plays well, sign him to a fair extension.

better days
08-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Obviously if he regresses he's gone and we draft a new one. What if his numbers look like this?

65% Comp %
25 Td's
12 Int's
3500 yards
7.5 ypa
16 starts

What do we do? Those would be reachable solid numbers for a NFL starter. How much money do you think he would command? 5-7 Mill a year maybe?

When do we pull the trigger on an extension? We can't let him become a free agant with that season.

It sure would be tough to commit that much to a QB that has had only 1 solid and healthy season. But he sure isn't going to sign for nothing.

Well if Trent COULD put up those numbers, that would be a FUN debate for a change.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
If those are his numbers this year, offer him an incentive-based contract going forward. If he holds out for guaranteed money, let him walk and let some other team give it to him.

If he sucks again this year, just let him walk, or at best offer him the backup slot at a backup's salary.

Trent may be fragile and inconsistant but he is not an idiot. This approach would start us over from scratch with a bad drafting position for a top QB to boot.

mikemac2001
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Franchise him and draft an insurance qb or if brown develops franchise and
Roll with brown

If he sucks after franchise
Year move on if he is solid give him the cash or trade him

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Franchise him and draft an insurance qb or if brown develops franchise and
Roll with brown

If he sucks after franchise
Year move on if he is solid give him the cash or trade him

That would be a possibility. That is also what they did with Brees in SD, so would be something that Nix has experiance with.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Trent may be fragile and inconsistant but he is not an idiot. This approach would start us over from scratch with a bad drafting position for a top QB to boot.

well, there's about a 95% chance that we need to do that anyway. I'm not sure Trent ever was the right pick, and even if he was, I'm pretty sure the last coaching staff ruined him beyond repair. This organization has stuck with "their" guys for way too long in the past and it would be stupid to make the same mistake with Trent.

Ginger Vitis
08-30-2010, 08:34 AM

65% Comp %
25 Td's
12 Int's
3500 yards
7.5 ypa
16 starts

In todays NFL with those kind of numbers Trent would get close to $10 million a year.. Matt Cassel got $63 Million for 6 years from KC after only starting one year in NE and roughly having the same numbers in your scenario

trapezeus
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
i think the debate isn't about him getting those numbers. the debate is if he halves those numbers but gets injured.

if he makes it through a full season with the numbers above, i think you pay him. he's still young. but like another poster said, you might still want to draft a QB to ensure Trent's injury factor.

Also, those numbers in a vacuum look good. but if he was on pace for a better year and fell apart at the end, that adds to the debate. if he starts slow and turns it on for the back 8, i think you have to sign him.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
If Edwards puts up decent numbers, I would try to re-sign him. However, if this regime plans on drafting a higher-round QB this year, then make it clear to him that he'll become the backup at some point in the near future.

Mahdi
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

65% Comp %
25 Td's
12 Int's
3500 yards
7.5 ypa
16 starts

I think you definitely re-sign him, but only to a reasonable contract for that type of production.

The other question is, in the exact same scenario, do you draft a QB next year?

psubills62
08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
I think you definitely re-sign him, but only to a reasonable contract for that type of production.

Depends on who Nix and co. like in the draft. To be honest, if Edwards puts up decent numbers, and we don't have a good shot at a QB prospect that is that good, I wouldn't mind going after a stud WR in the first, an OT in the second, and maybe some defensive players later on.

Might also depend on how much the coaches like Brown's development.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Yea I think you do draft a QB. But I am not sure that you can sign that production to a "reasonable" contract. You think Singletary wouldn't love to get that production in Trents home area of San Fran?

trapezeus
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
if the qb situation is settled or we don't have a QB as the next best player available, i hope the bills seriously look at a game changing born and breed LB that's totally comfortable in the 3-4.

Weakest spot of our team right now.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2010, 09:33 AM
As much as I applaud and support the decision to have Trent as the stater this year I think it's way premature to talk about extensions, etc.

Furthermore, this team is notorious for signing the wrong players to extensions while letting the right ones leave.

The Bills were so worried about Jauron getting big numbers after starting 5-1 that they gave him an extension worth 9 million dollars and I assume he's keeping all of it.

Gauranteed of this. If Edwards is great they won't sign him and if he's not he'll probably get an extension.

EDS
08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
If Edwards puts up those numbers the Bills will not be in position to draft Luck, so resigning him would be a priority.

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 10:17 AM
It will all depend on whether he gets injured or not. If he missess a number of games, you look for a franchise qb because those are not franchise qb nos.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
It will all depend on whether he gets injured or not. If he missess a number of games, you look for a franchise qb because those are not franchise qb nos.

Those are not acceptable #'s from #1 QB?

R U serious? Especially if Our running game is as good as advertised.

trapezeus
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
i think injury concerns need to be addressed this year. even with great numbers, if he is missing 3 weeks or more, you can't trust him to be your guy.

I think you'd franchise him and draft another QB.

Even if he makes it through a full year, you have to see how he performs in the playoffs vs. the regular season.

In the end, the bills made this crappy bed by keeping jauron last year despite the awful awful awful 2008 meltdown. if we would have fired him, we could have had gailey already seeing how trent was and we'd be able to resign him now, or franchise him next year and have more time with trent and develop another guy. instead, we wasted a year of trent's contract for no reason what so ever.

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Those are not acceptable #'s from #1 QB?

R U serious? Especially if Our running game is as good as advertised.

not saying they are not acceptable. Just not franchise qb nos. and you made no mention of the running game. If the run game produces a lot then thats a different story.

Beebe's Kid
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
This is kind of a no-brainer, in my opinion.

Franchise QB's take a while to develop. They go through growing pains...all of them. If he puts up those numbers, it would show that we were actually fortunate to have a front office that was able to realize this about Trent and let him develop. We have our QB.

Trent, or anybody else, is not going to put up those numbers in an injury plagued year, especially on a team with a running game like ours. Also, if Trent puts up those numbers, we are in the playoffs.

If Trent puts up those numbers, it is his right to say "**** you, pay me," and it is our obligation to oblige. What else would you want to do, start all over? Let a guy take major lumps, resurrect his career, put us in the playoffs, and let him walk? I have had my share of ups and downs with Trent, but I would be all for the extension if he comes around.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
not saying they are not acceptable. Just not franchise qb nos. and you made no mention of the running game. If the run game produces a lot then thats a different story.

FWIW Jim Kelly had more yards than that twice.

More touchdowns than that once.

Less interceptions than that twice.

Never had that high of a completion %.

I would argue that those are franchise QB #'s.

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Jim Kelly affected the run game and the offense than merely nos. JIm Kelly was one of the best field general.

JP Losman came close to those nos. you posted.

Kyle Orton had better numbers last year than what you posted. He's serviceable but not a franchise qb.

Todays NFL is a more qb driven league than it's ever been. Unless you have a dominant run game and defense , you need better numbers from the qb if you are to win it all.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Again, it's acceptable but not franchise nos by todays standard.
Again, depends on his injury status .

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Its a tough call because all you're posting is numbers.

You dont go into where the INT's come from and when they came, what our Red Zone TD pct was, and ect.

Numbers wise, sure you offer him a reasonable deal, but you certainly don't annoit him. A 2:1 TD to INT ratio is not something to get all giddy about, and that's what really sticks out to me.

To me there are only a few (4-5) true franchise QB's and they all have up and down years but franchise QB TD to INT ratios look something like;
Aaron Rodgers 30 TD, 7 INT 2010
Drew Brees 34 TD, 11 INT 2010
Brett Favre 33 TD, 7 INT 2010
Phillip Rivers 34 TD, 11 INT 2009
Tom Brady 50 TD, 8 INT 2008
Ben Rothlesberger 32 TD, 11 INT 2008

People will point to Peyton though and argue that he defies the point but look at his production in 04, 05, and 06. 108 TD's to only 29 INT's (3.7:1 ratio).

more cowbell
08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
If Edwards has a good year and we don't re-sign him that would be one of the stupidest things this team has done in a while. End of story.

You don't let someone who is producing results walk, and replace it with someone who has no experience. That's completely stupid.

When Nix was with the Bolts, they franchised Brees, and decided to go with Rivers after he was drafted and sat out a year. He also had some game experience. In addition to that...Brees was recovering from shoulder surgery.

Rivers had a year of experience, some playing time...he wasn't a rookie who was plugged right into the line up and expected to match the results of the previous QB.

Could we make a case for Levi Brown having a year of experience? I guess....................but he is Levi ****ing Brown...

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
exactly.

Kyle Orton 3,802 21 12

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 10:53 AM

You dont go into where the INT's come from and when they came, what our Red Zone TD pct was, and ect.

Numbers wise, sure you offer him a reasonable deal, but you certainly don't annoit him. A 2:1 TD to INT ratio is not something to get all giddy about, and that's what really sticks out to me.

To me there are only a few (4-5) true franchise QB's and they all have up and down years but franchise QB TD to INT ratios look something like;
Aaron Rodgers 30 TD, 7 INT 2010
Drew Brees 34 TD, 11 INT 2010
Brett Favre 33 TD, 7 INT 2010
Phillip Rivers 34 TD, 11 INT 2009
Tom Brady 50 TD, 8 INT 2008
Ben Rothlesberger 32 TD, 11 INT 2008

People will point to Peyton though and argue that he defies the point but look at his production in 04, 05, and 06. 108 TD's to only 29 INT's (3.7:1 ratio).

Those are also nearly career years for those players. Pretty well into their careers for that matter.

This would be in year 1 of Gaileys O without imo a true #1 and #2 reciever.

Still think those are servicable #s for a starting QB. No they are not Manning #s but would you really roll the dice and say "I think we'll just go out and draft Manning next year."

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Those are also nearly career years for those players. Pretty well into their careers for that matter.

This would be in year 1 of Gaileys O without imo a true #1 and #2 reciever.

Still think those are servicable #s for a starting QB. No they are not Manning #s but would you really roll the dice and say "I think we'll just go out and draft Manning next year."

My issues is the bolded statement. I dont want servicable numbers I want the best, and anything short of that is not acceptable. Edwards needs to show more than just serviceable or else he is going to potentially lose his job. He needs to show all of us he has "it" or else he is gone.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
My issues is the bolded statement. I dont want servicable numbers I want the best, and anything short of that is not acceptable. Edwards needs to show more than just serviceable or else he is going to potentially lose his job. He needs to show all of us he has "it" or else he is gone.

How many "the best" QB's have been drafted in teh last 10 years?

What are our chances of getting 1 next year IF there is even 1 in the next draft class? Especially if Trent is above average and we win ourselves out of the top 10?

You don't just let the guys go and roll the dice trying to get the "best" for the next 15 years like we have done post Kelly.

That would be assinine.

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 11:04 AM

What are our chances of getting 1 next year IF there is even 1 in the next draft class? Especially if Trent is above average and we win ourselves out of the top 10?

You don't just let the guys go and roll the dice trying to get the "best" for the next 15 years like we have done post Kelly.

That would be assinine.

Every team that has won a qb lately had a franchise qb. If your goal is to win the sb , you don't stop until you find a franchise qb. If all you're interested in nothing but a playoff appearance, a serviceable qb will do fine.

Joe Fo Sho
08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
That's when we better hope they don't ave a new CBA, then give him the highest restricted free agent tender. Figure it out the next year.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 11:23 AM

That would be assinine.

Brees-10th season
Brady-11th season
Manning-13th season
Rodgers-6th season

If you want to count guys like McNabb, Rivers, and Big Ben then include them as well.

The draft has franchise QB's available if you know what you are looking at.

So yes Im perfectly ok letting servicable players go to roll the dice in the draft. 10 times out of 10, Id do that.

Extremebillsfan247
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

If he sucks again this year, just let him walk, or at best offer him the backup slot at a backup's salary.I agree with this. Trent has done good so far, but it is still preseason. He has to do it when it counts. If he has the type of productive season that the OP was referring to, then yes. You make an effort towards giving him a decent contract. But being what his history is here, it will most likely mean incentives are a must. If he decides to hold out, you can almost feel it that this team is going to let him walk. The Bills are notorious for playing tough in negotiations, as evidenced by contract talks with former players like Jason Peters who held out for more money. If he has a bad season, he most likely will be done as a Buffalo Bill after this season. JMO Good post.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Brees-10th season
Brady-11th season
Manning-13th season
Rodgers-6th season

If you want to count guys like McNabb, Rivers, and Big Ben then include them as well.

The draft has franchise QB's available if you know what you are looking at.

So yes Im perfectly ok letting servicable players go to roll the dice in the draft. 10 times out of 10, Id do that.

Rivers and Ben have had seasons with those numbers twice in each of their careers. McNabb has been in the league 11.

We were not in position to draft either Ben or Rivers or Eli if you want to throw him into that group.

The problem with your premise is that you have to have 3 things going for you to get the "Franchise", draft position, an actual "Franchise" QB in the draft, and a proper evaluation.

To say we cut bait on a season like that and roll the dice that those 3 things come together next year is beyond crazy. Especially the fact that if Trent plays that well we certainly won't have the draft position.

Rolling the dice and starting over would be an unbelievably stupid move.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Rivers and Ben have had seasons with those numbers twice in each of their careers. McNabb has been in the league 11.

We were not in position to draft either Ben or Rivers or Eli if you want to throw him into that group.

The problem with your premise is that you have to have 3 things going for you to get the "Franchise", draft position, an actual "Franchise" QB in the draft, and a proper evaluation.

To say we cut bait on a season like that and roll the dice that those 3 things come together next year is beyond crazy. Especially the fact that if Trent plays that well we certainly won't have the draft position.

Rolling the dice and starting over would be an unbelievably stupid move.

I agree about the three things you need.

Consider though with the bolded where guys like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady were taken. You seem to be operating under the premise that franchise QB's are only taken in the top 10 of Round 1. Which is not true.

Its not starting over, its just starting a new QB. If your current QB can't win you the championship then what is the point of keeping your current QB? If you think he can then that's fine ride him out, but if you don't you cut bait and find somebody who you think can.

So I ask this question to you, do you right now today, think that Trent Edwards can win us a Super Bowl?

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 12:00 PM
I agree about the three things you need.

Consider though with the bolded where guys like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady were taken. You seem to be operating under the premise that franchise QB's are only taken in the top 10 of Round 1. Which is not true.

Its not starting over, its just starting a new QB. If your current QB can't win you the championship then what is the point of keeping your current QB? If you think he can then that's fine ride him out, but if you don't you cut bait and find somebody who you think can.

So I ask this question to you, do you right now today, think that Trent Edwards can win us a Super Bowl?

Rodgers, Brees and Brady were indeed passed on by most teams dropping deeper into the draft.

But you CANNOT rely on getting lucky in the 5th round of the draft and using that as the standard for how to get a Franchise QB. "Sure we'll ditch 3500 yards and 25 TDS because I have a hunch that Ricky Stanzi is going to be the next Tom Brady in the 4th round of the draft."

Regarding the question as to whether Edwards can win us a Super Bowl? Ask me after the season if he puts up numbers like that.

This is why I asked the question. It would be nearly impossible for me to justify signing him long term after what we have watched over the last 4 years. Is he capable? Maybe. But what the hell do we do as an organization if he plays lights out under the circumstances?

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Rodgers, Brees and Brady were indeed passed on by most teams dropping deeper into the draft.

But you CANNOT rely on getting lucky in the 5th round of the draft and using that as the standard for how to get a Franchise QB. "Sure we'll ditch 3500 yards and 25 TDS because I have a hunch that Ricky Stanzi is going to be the next Tom Brady in the 4th round of the draft."

Regarding the question as to whether Edwards can win us a Super Bowl? Ask me after the season if he puts up numbers like that.

This is why I asked the question. It would be nearly impossible for me to justify signing him long term after what we have watched over the last 4 years. Is he capable? Maybe. But what the hell do we do as an organization if he plays lights out under the circumstances?

No Im asking you today, right now. No after this season stuff, do you believe he has it or not.

He can prove you or I wrong or right, Im not saying you or I dont believe and therefor he won't win it. Im just asking you for your opinion now, not after a possible career year for him.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
No Im asking you today, right now. No after this season stuff, do you believe he has it or not.

He can prove you or I wrong or right, Im not saying you or I dont believe and therefor he won't win it. Im just asking you for your opinion now, not after a possible career year for him.

Can he be a difference maker? After week 7 in 2008 when the Bills were 5-1 and Trent just torched the Chargers coming back from getting his brains scrambled vs Arizona I sure thought he could be.

If Chan Gailey can get THAT Trent Edwards back, yes I think he can LEAD the team to a Super Bowl.

Will that happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
BTW those numbers have to be at the top end of the best case scenario for the season.

If what I am hearing from some of you is correct there would be no scenario that Trent could do well enough to invest in as the starter going forward. Even with a pretty damn good first season under Gailey.

That is pretty shocking.

I also bet OBD doesn't agree with you.

better days
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't care how good a season Trent has. If he goes the entire year without getting injured, it will be the 1st time since H.S.

I really doubt he could do that two years in a row, let alone for 5 or 6 the length a new contract would likely be.

Chris Chandler was a guy with a lot of talent, but like Trent he was often injured & team after team that needed a QB signed him in hopes he could stay healthy............but he never could.

DraftBoy
08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Can he be a difference maker? After week 7 in 2008 when the Bills were 5-1 and Trent just torched the Chargers coming back from getting his brains scrambled vs Arizona I sure thought he could be.

If Chan Gailey can get THAT Trent Edwards back, yes I think he can LEAD the team to a Super Bowl.

Will that happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

You're not answering my question, which is just asking you for your opinion on Edwards.

Based on everything you have seen thus far, do you think he is the QB to lead us to the Super Bowl and win it?

justasportsfan
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
BTW those numbers have to be at the top end of the best case scenario for the season.

If what I am hearing from some of you is correct there would be no scenario that Trent could do well enough to invest in as the starter going forward. Even with a pretty damn good first season under Gailey.

That is pretty shocking.

I also bet OBD doesn't agree with you.

Nix is all about franchise qb's. Nix has come out and said that this is a qb driven league. I am not saying to not re sign Trent but I don't think that those nos are that of a franchise qb. If Trent evlolves into one in 2011, then fine. But those aren't nos. to write home about especially if your D and run game arent dominant.

YardRat
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Wins and ability to lead would factor more in my decision than statistics. Let's see how he does in those areas and then move on from there.

As of right now, I wait until the off-season to address a contract.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Wins and ability to lead would factor more in my decision than statistics. Let's see how he does in those areas and then move on from there.

As of right now, I wait until the off-season to address a contract.

The point is Trent will be a free agent in the offseason.

@Draftboy, is it possible the Bills can win a Superbowl with Trent as QB? Sure why not. Probably about as good a chance as Notre Dame ever winning a national championship if they joined the Big Ten (:

HHURRICANE
08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Bottom line is this. The chances of us getting a top ten NFL QB in the draft is very slim no matter what position we take them at.

Had Brohm gone out his junior year he would have been a high draft pick that would have been a "bust" pick. Think about that. That's just one example.

If Edwards some how finds his game with Gailey and this offense that we would be stupid not to extend him. Drew Brees went through the exact same struggles and that's why the Chargers took Rivers.

If I were a Chargers fan I would still want Bress over Rivers, anyday of the week.

Again this is all premature because most likely our line will get devastated by injuries early on and Kirk Chambers should have Edwards injured by week 6.

better days
08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Bottom line is this. The chances of us getting a top ten NFL QB in the draft is very slim no matter what position we take them at.

Had Brohm gone out his junior year he would have been a high draft pick that would have been a "bust" pick. Think about that. That's just one example.

If Edwards some how finds his game with Gailey and this offense that we would be stupid not to extend him. Drew Brees went through the exact same struggles and that's why the Chargers took Rivers.

If I were a Chargers fan I would still want Bress over Rivers, anyday of the week.

Again this is all premature because most likely our line will get devastated by injuries early on and Kirk Chambers should have Edwards injured by week 6.

There is Edwards biggest problem. He can not take a hit without getting injured. There are plenty of guys that get hit as often as Trent & don't get injured as often or as bad as Trent.

I think it would be stupid to sign a guy known to be as injury prone as Trent to a big contract. Now if they could pay him on a per game basis.....

Michael82
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I would tag him and let him prove to me that he can do better than that. I'd also still draft a rookie QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

X-Era
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
You're not answering my question, which is just asking you for your opinion on Edwards.

Based on everything you have seen thus far, do you think he is the QB to lead us to the Super Bowl and win it?

It really should be the only question.

I'm done with the concept of "serviceable". Doesn't work here in Buffalo.

If he doesn't look like a guy who can lead us to the promise land by the end of this season, he can either resign at backup pay, or leave.

So, to answer the original question, he should then be resigned at backup or second tier pay. If he refuses, he should walk.

Its too critical of a situation to screw around anymore.

If this team wont trade for a franchise QB, it better draft one almost every year until it gets one.

X-Era
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I would tag him and let him prove to me that he can do better than that. I'd also still draft a rookie QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

I have zero interest in paying Edwards 10+ mill under a tag if we arent convinced he's our franchise guy.

HHURRICANE
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
There is Edwards biggest problem. He can not take a hit without getting injured. There are plenty of guys that get hit as often as Trent & don't get injured as often or as bad as Trent.

Edwards has never played behind a decent line. Not to make excuses but that's a fact.

Every QB gets injured. Palmer, McNabb, Pennington, etc., etc., etc.,.

Losman would never stay in the pocket and take the hit to complete a pass. Edwards will. He's not getting injured on those plays. He's getting injured on the ones where someone completely blows their assignment.

X-Era
08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
exactly.

Kyle Orton 3,802 21 12

Also will be a free agent... and at the top of a "second tier only" teams wish list like the Bills:

:couch:

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
I have zero interest in paying Edwards 10+ mill under a tag if we arent convinced he's our franchise guy.

The question is what would it take?

Those numbers in the OP are pretty darn good by any standard.

What would it take to convince Bills fans to invest in him THIS offseason because a decision will have to be made?

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Also will be a free agent... and at the top of a "second tier only" teams wish list like the Bills:

:couch:

http://denver.sbnation.com/2010/8/19/1632905/kyle-orton-contract-denver-broncos-quarterback

"A team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Orton’s extension is a one-year, $9 million contract, with $5.5 million guaranteed."

So that is what a second tier QB is worth....

Luisito23
08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Stay healthy all year, takes us to the post-season, have 3,000 + yds. and 25+ TD's it's the only way I won't draft a stud QB to go with our stud RB next year.

better days
08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Edwards has never played behind a decent line. Not to make excuses but that's a fact.

Every QB gets injured. Palmer, McNabb, Pennington, etc., etc., etc.,.

Losman would never stay in the pocket and take the hit to complete a pass. Edwards will. He's not getting injured on those plays. He's getting injured on the ones where someone completely blows their assignment.

Excuses aside the fact is Trent is injury prone. The only QB you named that comes close to Trent for being injury prone is Pennington & even he has had a few years where he was healthy.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Excuses aside the fact is Trent is injury prone. The only QB you named that comes close to Trent for being injury prone is Pennington & even he has had a few years where he was healthy.

I agree that he has to play an entire season.