X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

What to do about Trent?

Most important question of the season. He is in a contract year.

Obviously if he regresses he's gone and we draft a new one. What if his numbers look like this?

65% Comp %
    25 Td's
    12 Int's
    3500 yards
    7.5 ypa
    16 starts

What do we do? Those would be reachable solid numbers for a NFL starter. How much money do you think he would command? 5-7 Mill a year maybe?

When do we pull the trigger on an extension? We can't let him become a free agant with that season.

It sure would be tough to commit that much to a QB that has had only 1 solid and healthy season. But he sure isn't going to sign for nothing.

If he is decent this will be of massive debate.
    Last edited by BidsJr; 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: What to do about Trent?

If those are his numbers this year, offer him an incentive-based contract going forward. If he holds out for guaranteed money, let him walk and let some other team give it to him.

If he sucks again this year, just let him walk, or at best offer him the backup slot at a backup's salary.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

no way we should let our young qb walk after we're the ones that developed him on the field. If he plays well, sign him to a fair extension.
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      also cheese

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BidsJr

Obviously if he regresses he's gone and we draft a new one. What if his numbers look like this?

65% Comp %
        25 Td's
        12 Int's
        3500 yards
        7.5 ypa
        16 starts

What do we do? Those would be reachable solid numbers for a NFL starter. How much money do you think he would command? 5-7 Mill a year maybe?

When do we pull the trigger on an extension? We can't let him become a free agant with that season.

It sure would be tough to commit that much to a QB that has had only 1 solid and healthy season. But he sure isn't going to sign for nothing.

Well if Trent COULD put up those numbers, that would be a FUN debate for a change.

Comment

• BidsJr
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          If those are his numbers this year, offer him an incentive-based contract going forward. If he holds out for guaranteed money, let him walk and let some other team give it to him.

If he sucks again this year, just let him walk, or at best offer him the backup slot at a backup's salary.

Trent may be fragile and inconsistant but he is not an idiot. This approach would start us over from scratch with a bad drafting position for a top QB to boot.
          "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

Franchise him and draft an insurance qb or if brown develops franchise and
            Roll with brown

If he sucks after franchise
            Year move on if he is solid give him the cash or trade him

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mikemac2001
              Franchise him and draft an insurance qb or if brown develops franchise and
              Roll with brown

If he sucks after franchise
              Year move on if he is solid give him the cash or trade him

That would be a possibility. That is also what they did with Brees in SD, so would be something that Nix has experiance with.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Trent may be fragile and inconsistant but he is not an idiot. This approach would start us over from scratch with a bad drafting position for a top QB to boot.
                well, there's about a 95% chance that we need to do that anyway. I'm not sure Trent ever was the right pick, and even if he was, I'm pretty sure the last coaching staff ruined him beyond repair. This organization has stuck with "their" guys for way too long in the past and it would be stupid to make the same mistake with Trent.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                  • Feb 2009

65% Comp %
                  25 Td's
                  12 Int's
                  3500 yards
                  7.5 ypa
                  16 starts

In todays NFL with those kind of numbers Trent would get close to $10 million a year.. Matt Cassel got $63 Million for 6 years from KC after only starting one year in NE and roughly having the same numbers in your scenario

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

i think the debate isn't about him getting those numbers. the debate is if he halves those numbers but gets injured.

if he makes it through a full season with the numbers above, i think you pay him. he's still young. but like another poster said, you might still want to draft a QB to ensure Trent's injury factor.

Also, those numbers in a vacuum look good. but if he was on pace for a better year and fell apart at the end, that adds to the debate. if he starts slow and turns it on for the back 8, i think you have to sign him.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

If Edwards puts up decent numbers, I would try to re-sign him. However, if this regime plans on drafting a higher-round QB this year, then make it clear to him that he'll become the backup at some point in the near future.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

65% Comp %
                        25 Td's
                        12 Int's
                        3500 yards
                        7.5 ypa
                        16 starts

I think you definitely re-sign him, but only to a reasonable contract for that type of production.

The other question is, in the exact same scenario, do you draft a QB next year?

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          I think you definitely re-sign him, but only to a reasonable contract for that type of production.

Depends on who Nix and co. like in the draft. To be honest, if Edwards puts up decent numbers, and we don't have a good shot at a QB prospect that is that good, I wouldn't mind going after a stud WR in the first, an OT in the second, and maybe some defensive players later on.

Might also depend on how much the coaches like Brown's development.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BidsJr
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi

Yea I think you do draft a QB. But I am not sure that you can sign that production to a "reasonable" contract. You think Singletary wouldn't love to get that production in Trents home area of San Fran?

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

if the qb situation is settled or we don't have a QB as the next best player available, i hope the bills seriously look at a game changing born and breed LB that's totally comfortable in the 3-4.

Weakest spot of our team right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X