PDA

View Full Version : One thing still bugs me about Trent

Chewytie
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
While going back through the game I noticed that when there are deep routes on any particular play. Trent goes through his progression well but when he picks his receiver he locks into them when he is setting up. I feel like this could be a problem with some of the better secondaries in the NFL. If he locks on to, say, Parrish before heaving it 40+ yards to him all it takes is one observant CB or Safety to jump the route.

Or maybe I'm being paranoid.

psubills62
08-30-2010, 11:33 AM
While going back through the game I noticed that when there are deep routes on any particular play. Trent goes through his progression well but when he picks his receiver he locks into them when he is setting up. I feel like this could be a problem with some of the better secondaries in the NFL. If he locks on to, say, Parrish before heaving it 40+ yards to him all it takes is one observant CB or Safety to jump the route.

Or maybe I'm being paranoid.

I did notice that on a couple plays, Edwards seemed to lock onto his receiver. The quick out to Parrish looked like it was nearly intercepted.

I'm not too worried at this point. The Bengals have a very good secondary, and Indy has a decent one. We'll just have to see how this offense does once the regular season comes.

BidsJr
08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree with all of this. But for the first time in a VERY long time I actually think he will get the proper coaching to get better at it.

Chewytie
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah. I think I'm only noticing it now because in past years he has been so bad that I noticed all of his other shortcomings first. Now it seems like a bit of a cleanup job, which I think will happen throughout the year.

Night Train
08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Making the right reads and quick decisions has always been a struggle for Edwards.

There was a play where he rolled out and delivered a 7 yard sideline pass to Stupar. The problem was he delivered it far too late. Stupar went straight 7 yards and made a sharp break to the right, wide open. Edwards was rolling right and had no one between him and Stupar, yet held the ball an additional 2-3 seconds, allowing the S & LB to close on the play. The Bills did not make the first and punted.

He delivers that early and Stupar gets at least 12 yards and a first down. There are seveal plays every game like that for Edwards and those little delays will usually come back to bite the team.

Chewytie
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I have always noticed a hesitation with him, but I think with the new offense being the run heavy and only-pass-when-we-need-to I think it will give him the quick trigger I think he has. He just needs to get a consistent set of blockers in front of him. When He gets a couple extra seconds in the pocket or even on a boot he doesn't know what to do. He is so used to being under pressure (or worse, on his back) I feel he wants to hold onto the ball when he can.

Beebe's Kid
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
He definitely is staring down his receivers. There is some good news, however. The WR's are all running straight down the sidelines. They are doing crazy, wacky things, like running across the field at different angles.

I hope to hell that he can get coached out of this, because it will take about 2 Qtrs of tape to catch his weakness and begin to expose that. It will then take about 5 minutes for TE's confidence to be crushed and we will have the TE of last year back.

Chewytie
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
DISCLAIMER: THE NEXT THING I SAY IS GOING TO BE ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

Maybe Chan knows that this happens and is letting trent do it so he coaches him out of it for the regular season and throws the Miami D for a complete loop. (Which would be awesome.)