PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy signs with NYR

RockStar36
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
For a whopping $550,000.

He still gets $333,333 or so from the Sabres though.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/08/kennedy-lands-with-rangers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
wish I could get 333k for NOT playing for the Sabres.

trapezeus
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
rangers just love them former sabres players don't they.

in this case unlike kalinan and kotalik and drury, they will be getting a player who is young and can actually contribute.

OpIv37
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
rangers just love them former sabres players don't they.

in this case unlike kalinan and kotalik and drury, they will be getting a player who is young and can actually contribute.

You really need to pay more attention.

When guys like Kennedy are on the Sabres, they are young players who are still learning and can actually contribute.

Once they leave the Sabres, then they are the dime-a-dozen mediocrity that has defined this team for the last 3 seasons.

RockStar36
08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I read something that mentioned the Rangers wanting to play him at center. That probably isn't ideal.

Also, with him and Mac signing this weekend, the arbitrators don't look very good. They were way off on both players.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-30-2010, 08:00 PM
So he turns down a deal from the Sabres, assuming it is the same money, just to turn around and sign that deal? Good thing that Sabres $300 grand is in play, because the cost of living in NY has to hurt.

G Wolly
08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
So he turns down a deal from the Sabres, assuming it is the same money, just to turn around and sign that deal? Good thing that Sabres $300 grand is in play, because the cost of living in NY has to hurt.

I thought he accepted an offer because they had to offer him a certain amount due to arbitration.

But we didn't wanna give it to him so we let him go?

RockStar36
08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I thought he accepted an offer because they had to offer him a certain amount due to arbitration.

The Sabres offered him close to the same money as he is getting now (NYR + buyout amount). He thought he deserved more so he took them to arbitration. The arbitrator awarded him the $1M, the Sabres laughed and bought him out.

G Wolly
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
The Sabres offered him close to the same money as he is getting now (NYR + buyout amount). He thought he deserved more so he took them to arbitration. The arbitrator awarded him the $1M, the Sabres laughed and bought him out.

Ok.

If you recall I never understand how the process works.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-31-2010, 04:25 AM

From what I remember they offered him a contract and he turned it down and went to arbitration.

RockStar36
08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
I guess the big difference between the two sides was the Sabres wanting a 2 way deal and Kennedy only wanting the 1 way deal.

trapezeus
08-31-2010, 09:08 AM
remember when michael peca, our star and captain wanted $4MM and we refused after hitting 3.5MM? And remember how tim connolly our number 2 center who we got in the trade actually makes $4.5MM? I hate this team's logic sometimes.

I feel like kennedy is in the same boat. we refused the $1mm and i guarantee we sign some guy that we just have no desire to have at $1.2MM and be stuck with him for 4-7 years. It's just the sabres way.

also, i never get why people leave buffalo for a few hundred thousand. $500k a year in buffalo and you live like a rockstar.

$800k in NYC, you probably end up my neighbor in a tiny two bedroom or large 1 bedroom living a pretty pedestrian life. you have more savings in buffalo than in NYc. but that's just me.

RockStar36
08-31-2010, 09:16 AM
remember when michael peca, our star and captain wanted $4MM and we refused after hitting 3.5MM? And remember how tim connolly our number 2 center who we got in the trade actually makes $4.5MM? I hate this team's logic sometimes.

I feel like kennedy is in the same boat. we refused the $1mm and i guarantee we sign some guy that we just have no desire to have at $1.2MM and be stuck with him for 4-7 years. It's just the sabres way.

also, i never get why people leave buffalo for a few hundred thousand. $500k a year in buffalo and you live like a rockstar.

$800k in NYC, you probably end up my neighbor in a tiny two bedroom or large 1 bedroom living a pretty pedestrian life. you have more savings in buffalo than in NYc. but that's just me.

I believe they refused Kennedy at $1M because he simply wasn't worth it. I'm guessing they are done signing people since they were already loaded with forwards assuming Ennis and Gerbe are on the opening night roster.

Kennedy tried to play chicken with the Sabres and got burnt in the end. He didn't want the 2 way deal with Buffalo, aka being held accountable for his play throughout the season.

chernobylwraiths
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
I believe they refused Kennedy at $1M because he simply wasn't worth it. I'm guessing they are done signing people since they were already loaded with forwards assuming Ennis and Gerbe are on the opening night roster.

Kennedy tried to play chicken with the Sabres and got burnt in the end. He didn't want the 2 way deal with Buffalo, aka being held accountable for his play throughout the season.

Who knows if it was Kennedy or his agent. In some circumstances, players listen to their agents because that is what they pay them to do. I don't really care about not having Kennedy on the team. He is very replacable. I just have issues with how the Sabres do business sometimes. They should have just either tried to trade him or dropped him if they didn't want him to go to arbitration.

trapezeus
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
they paid the guy to play on another team this year. they could have paid him his salary and looked to move him for one year. he showed enough that he wasn't a, god forbid, Connelly or Stafford, doing absolutely nothing to help the team.

he looked good in a crappy bruins series.

even if he wasn't a buffalo guy, i would have said, "what the f? he was one of the people actually trying out there in april."

And again, i just don't buy anything the FO is selling. they tell us they were going to sign someone and they fell through which would have kept them at $60MM salary, and then they end up like $10mm under the cap and they claim they are over their budget for kennedy. how stupid do they take us for. it is either one or the other.

OpIv37
08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
So by not signing Kennedy, the Sabres saved roughly $667k. What are they going to do with it? Sign someone else? Put it towards extending someone? Or put it in Tommy G's pocket, with a nice bonus going to Quinn for freeing up the money?

That's what bothers me about moves like this. Losing Kennedy isn't a huge deal, but how does it lead to the Sabres getting better? As usual, there is no answer to that question and it appears as though this was just another money grab by the FO.

SabreEleven
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
They said it went towards signign Morrison which I believe they signed the next day.

trapezeus
08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
i heard they just buried the money in equal fourths in the corner boards at HSBC in hopes that some players actually try to dig in the corners this year.

Seeing that the sabres have stiffed half these guys already, i'm sure they'll be a little extra motivated.

Ground Chuck
08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
I will never understand how so many people can fall in love with a dime a dozen guy.

Do you want the Sabres to spend too much money on crappy guys?

G Wolly
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
I will never understand how so many people can fall in love with a dime a dozen guy.

Do you want the Sabres to spend too much money on crappy guys?

B-b-b-b-b-but he's from here.

It's a feel good story.

Or something.

At least Kaleta is actually an asset to the team. Kaleta's gameplay doesn't come along so often.

chernobylwraiths
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
So by not signing Kennedy, the Sabres saved roughly $667k. What are they going to do with it? Sign someone else? Put it towards extending someone? Or put it in Tommy G's pocket, with a nice bonus going to Quinn for freeing up the money?

That's what bothers me about moves like this. Losing Kennedy isn't a huge deal, but how does it lead to the Sabres getting better? As usual, there is no answer to that question and it appears as though this was just another money grab by the FO.

Actually, I think they save only about 333,333 since they have to pay the same amount next year too.

Stupid move IMO, but I think they are setting up for labor negotiations against the union next year. Salaries are getting out of hand and the "haves" are mostly doing it to the "have nots".