PDA

View Full Version : Talent on the OL

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
This is the most talent this OL has had since the Kelly days. Our 3 interior guys are very very good (including Hangartner), their mobility and ability to block on the move is excellent and they are all very smart and tough players. Bell is looking pretty good as the LT and with more experience he really can be a Jason Peters for us. Cornell Green has been inconsistent. He is what he is though, a very good run blocker and an average pass blocker. Either way we have a strong starting 5.

But it doesn't end there, we have 4 very good backups this year. Hennessey, Allen, Howard and Meredith are solid players and provide the Bills with some serious depth going forward. Meredith, Howard and Allen in particular look like potential starters at some point (Meredith should start now at RT).

It has been a long time since we had this type of depth and if there is an injury up front I think our OL will be just fine with any of the guys behind them.

EDS
08-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I think it is premature to declare the offensive line as solid. I remain concerned about the talent at tackle and the depth across the line, particularly given the inexperience of that depth.

Dying_-2-_Live
08-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Honestly... It looks pretty bad to me. Just putting it out there.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 09:05 AM
I think it is premature to declare the offensive line as solid. I remain concerned about the talent at tackle and the depth across the line, particularly given the inexperience of that depth.
Bell and Meredith have been very good all preseason. The interior has been great. We are in much better shape now than ever.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Honestly... It looks pretty bad to me. Just putting it out there.
How does it look bad? Sure, Bell and Meredith are untested but they look good so far. Where is the line bad?

EDS
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Bell and Meredith have been very good all preseason. The interior has been great. We are in much better shape now than ever.

I really think we will be lucky if the line is solid this season. "Great" and "better shape now than ever" strike me as the wrong descriptive terms to use.

BidsJr
08-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Very optomistic thread lol.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I really think we will be lucky if the line is solid this season. "Great" and "better shape now than ever" strike me as the wrong descriptive terms to use.
By "better than ever" I mean recent times... not better than the 90's obviously.

mikemac2001
08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
I think chan will use there skills a lot better then old play callers

Which will make our line better

mayotm
08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I think the o-line has some upside. However, it really depends on how much Bell and Meredith develop. I'm certainly not as down on Bell as many people are.

psubills62
08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
I think the o-line has some upside. However, it really depends on how much Bell and Meredith develop. I'm certainly not as down on Bell as many people are.

+1

The OL has promise, but also has too many plays where they seem to have brain farts. I'm hoping the play-calling will make the OL look better than it is.

k-oneputt
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
How does it look bad? Sure, Bell and Meredith are untested but they look good so far. Where is the line bad?

Right tackle and we are holding our breath at left tackle.

mayotm
08-31-2010, 09:50 AM
+1

The OL has promise, but also has too many plays where they seem to have brain farts. I'm hoping the play-calling will make the OL look better than it is.Minimizing negative plays is a real key for their success. Last year, there were too many dumb penalties and sacks. This team simply isn't good enough to overcome negative plays. During the pre-season, the first team offense has done a decent job eliminating the dumb penalites and giving up sacks. They've had some negative run plays, but I think CJ will quickly learn not to look for the big play ever time and take the 0 yard gain.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Right tackle and we are holding our breath at left tackle.
If Green sucks it up Meredith will take over and we will have two young, athletic OTs. Bell will make his mistakes there is no doubt about that, but he has been a very good run blocker and has done well in pass blocking. The talent is evident there and with more experience it should only get better.

k-oneputt
08-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I would much rather have Merideth at right tackle and Green as the 3rd.

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Too early. They were decent in preseason playing 2 quarters /game but the game is played for 4 quarters. Well see how they hold up when teams actually play to win in regular season. They are just a bunch of potentials.

HHURRICANE
08-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Wow, this line is far from deserving any compliments.

However, I have been impresssed with Bell in limited action. Cornell Green is definately the week link.

Jamon Meredith needs to move to RT or at least start taking snaps there.

Kirk Chambers was struggling against the third stringers so if this guy doesn't get cut I'm going to lose my fing mind.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 10:27 AM
This O-line is still behind where it was at McGahee's rookie year...

Jennings, Tucker, Teague, Villarial and Mike Williams.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM

That line was shocking. They couldn't pass block worth a lick. And Teague was not a good C.

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

I'll take our OL now over that.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
That line was shocking. They couldn't pass block worth a lick. And Teague was not a good C.

You had a left tackle could protect the QBs blind side...and a good overall run blocking line. Plus you had Jason Peters as a reserve.

I'll take both of the tackles from then over our tackles now and the guards now over the guards then.

Center is a push and the reserves were better in 04.

Combine all of it and it's not really going on a limb to say the line in 04 was better.

DesertFox24
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
You had a left tackle could protect the QBs blind side...and a good overall run blocking line. Plus you had Jason Peters as a reserve.

I'll take both of the tackles from then over our tackles now and the guards now over the guards then.

Combine all of it and it's not really going on a limb to say the line in 04 was better.

That line was probably one of the most nonathletic lines we ever had. The screen game that we are going to run would never have worked.

I know our OL is not all world but they are young and I would rather be with them and watch them develop HOPEFULLY.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 11:23 AM
That line was probably one of the most nonathletic lines we ever had. The screen game that we are going to run would never have worked.

I know our OL is not all world but they are young and I would rather be with them and watch them develop HOPEFULLY.

This line or last years for that matter woulda got Drew Bledsoe killed in game 1.

There's another guy we still haven't replaced even with his deficiencies.

At least we have tried on that one though, just with bad results.

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Jonas Jennings was horrible in pass protection. Hangartner is way better than Teague and Meredith/Green/Bell is a much more talented and athletic group than the OTs in 2004.

The backups in 04 were Pucillo, Marcus Price, Lawrence Smith, Jon Dorenbos, Jason Peters and Dylan McFarland.

Our OL now is far and away better than 04.

Mad Max
09-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Jonas Jennings was horrible in pass protection. Hangartner is way better than Teague.......

Ya I was never sold on Jennings, he to me was Finaesque (not necessarily style wise but quality wise). And although Hangartner is better than "Turnstyle" Teague, he's still just the tallest midget.

How hard is it to get a quality Center?

mysticsoto
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Ya I was never sold on Jennings, he to me was Finaesque (not necessarily style wise but quality wise). And although Hangartner is better than "Turnstyle" Teague, he's still just the tallest midget.

How hard is it to get a quality Center?

Hangartner seems much improved from last year. Much stronger and I was impressed with his one on ones in TC against Stroud, Troup and big DLinemen - he shut them all down! I think you might want to give him another chance. You've only seen 1 starting year of him. Some people improve and I think he's definitely one of them!