PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt the OTs practice vs RBs and speed players?

NextbillsQB
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Our OTs main issue is getting beat to the edge, imo in practice they should do a drill where they put our players with the best 40 times, CJ, Evans, Parrish etc, and make them have to run around the OTs and the OTs have to try and kepp the edge the fastest they can. I mean after going against Evans and CJ they shouldnt have much of an issue vs a fast OT anymore. Just my opinion, if I coached this is what I would do

Dr. Lecter
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
The guys you mentioned would not be properly trained to come of the ball at the snap like DEs and OLBs and also would not be coming out of the right stance in their usual positions.

So while they have speed, they have no technique and would not be a good training tool.

NextbillsQB
08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
The guys you mentioned would not be properly trained to come of the ball at the snap like DEs and OLBs and also would not be coming out of the right stance in their usual positions.

So while they have speed, they have no technique and would not be a good training tool.

The main issue would be to just get off the edge fast, thats all they need to do, they dont need much technique they just need to run in a circle as fast as they can with a low level and the OTs have to try there best to get there fast

Mahdi
08-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Our OTs main issue is getting beat to the edge, imo in practice they should do a drill where they put our players with the best 40 times, CJ, Evans, Parrish etc, and make them have to run around the OTs and the OTs have to try and kepp the edge the fastest they can. I mean after going against Evans and CJ they shouldnt have much of an issue vs a fast OT anymore. Just my opinion, if I coached this is what I would do
It's a good idea. But I don't think our OTs have problems with the speed rush since they are pretty athletic themselves. Bell and Meredith are more susceptible to the bull rush and inside counter moves.

ServoBillieves
08-31-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd rather not have Cornell Green or Jamon Meredith fall on Roscoe Parrish...

Mr. Pink
08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Hypothetically...

Seeing no team does this, imagine the grievance Lee Evans and the NFLPA would file against the Bills if say, Bell fell on him and broke Lee's ankle or something similar?

Dr. Lecter
08-31-2010, 02:29 PM
The main issue would be to just get off the edge fast, thats all they need to do, they dont need much technique they just need to run in a circle as fast as they can with a low level and the OTs have to try there best to get there fast

You are missing my point.

To simulate game action the OT would get a count to start the play. The defender would have to react to a snapped ball and would also have to have the quickness and initial fire to take off. (which is different than speed)

justasportsfan
08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
nextbillsqb , you are just going to have to trust Lecter on this one. He plays tight end in the NYGFL.

ChristopherWalken
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't know if this is a very realistic idea as at this level guys should be getting quick off the ball.

Though it might be a decent/fun drill for morale, I don't think that the big guys would get much out of it. Anticipating speed does nothing in the way of increasing your own speed.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather they use their time to focus on technique against heavy handed, stunting Dlineman. Keeping it game time real.

hydro
08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Sounds like something Mitchell55 would have proposed.

Mad Max
08-31-2010, 03:43 PM

Probably because the speed guys would be too light in the ass and would get sent flying away from the QB with just the slightest love tap...as happens to Maybin on most plays.

Aero II
08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
You are missing my point.

To simulate game action the OT would get a count to start the play. The defender would have to react to a snapped ball and would also have to have the quickness and initial fire to take off. (which is different than speed)
Isn't that what Rocky did with a chicken? Maybe we could have the OL Coach have them chase a laser pointer; it sure makes cats move quicker.

NextbillsQB
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Sounds like something Mitchell55 would have proposed.

Yup, remember that *** :coocoo: ha ha