PDA

View Full Version : Do Or Die Time For Hardy, Roosevelt & Jones

patmoran2006
09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
The Buffalo Bills are set to take on the Detroit Lions Thursday night in what many deem a meaningless preseason finale. Generally speaking, starters and players with defined roles rarely see more than a brief cameo as their respective teams look forward to the regular season; rendering the contest to most observers as worthless.

While the finale may be insignificant to many, try passing that on to James Hardy and Naaman Roosevelt– as well as Donald Jones for that matter.

It’s not known whether Bills head coach Chan Gailey will elect to keep five or six wide receivers on the roster. For their sake, that number better be six and even then, one may have to shine against the Lions to have a chance of occupying that final spot.

It appears all-but-certain that Lee Evans, Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Chad Jackson and David Nelson will take up the first five slots.

Hardy has only appeared in one preseason game; catching a long pass for 30 yards against the Bengals last week. While it was a play that looked great on television, Hardy didn’t do much except streak down the sideline and have Ryan Fitzpatrick throw a perfectly placed ball in his waiting arms. Hardy also dropped a pass and had another broken up when he failed to gain any separation in a route–which has been his biggest criticism since entering the league.

Roosevelt, the undrafted free agent from UB, has had a pretty good preseason. He’s caught six balls for 46 yards and has gotten work as a punt returner; bringing back two punts and averaging 11.5 yards, including a 23-yarder against Washington.

Conventional wisdom says Hardy may still have the advantage. His size and draft pedigree are much greater than that of Roosevelt’s. Are the Bills ready to cut ties with a receiver selected in the second round just a couple of years ago?

Personally, I don’t buy the whole draft thing. Neither Gailey nor Buddy Nix had anything to do with Hardy being selected to Buffalo and therefore, have no special kind of allegiance to him. Releasing Hardy wouldn’t be a black eye on the current organization. Instead, it would be yet another indictment of poor player evaluation under the watchful eye of then-head coach Dick Jauron.

If the Bills do intend to keep six receivers, which is completely up in the air at this point, I tend to give the advantage to Roosevelt. He’s a much better special teams player on an unit that has looked pretty awful all summer long. If Hardy has no value with special teams, and he’s only the fifth or six receiver and doesn’t get on the field much, then I can’t see any reason to keep him around.

Having said that, he should get one final opportunity against the Lions to make something happen and show Gailey and Co. he has the tools to be a productive NFL receiver and a huge red zone threat specifically.

Though I’ve failed to mention him, don’t automatically disregard Donald Jones from the mix. Like Roosevelt he may be a valuable special teams performer and like his fellow undrafted counterpart he has six receptions on the preseason.

It’s anyone’s game— assuming Gailey keeps six of them.

elltrain22
09-01-2010, 09:38 AM
If we can keep one, I'll take Roosevelt. I am pretty much sold that Hardy sucks, and just isn't an NFL wide out, and even if he were, he doesn't have the luck or toughness to stay on the field.

T-Long
09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
If Hardy is healthy, I can't see them releasing him. Keep Hardy and put Roosevelt on PS

Jan Reimers
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Hardy doesn't really use his size, so he doesn't have much value. Johnson and Jackson are more physical, and Nelson is a much better route runner with about the same size. Hardy just seems redundant.

I'd keep Roosevelt, who just seems to be able to find the seems and make catches.

bigbub2352
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
i think Jones plays hard and is a good prospect that will be on our PS same goes for Roosevelt i think ultimatley it will be a numbers game and we will keep extra on D and only keep 5 WRs landing him as well on the PS...i just got a feeling Hardy sticks...i think he should be cut..but he wont cause of were we took him remember mediling RW

stuckincincy
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
It’s anyone’s game— assuming Gailey keeps six of them.

Good post. I'd be surprised if they kept six on the roster - that would seem a luxury to a club trying to sort out their OL and LB corps.

Jan Reimers
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Good post. I'd be surprised if they kept six on the roster - that would seem a luxury to a club trying to sort out their OL and LB corps.
And with a glut of good running backs, too.

patmoran2006
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
If Hardy is healthy, I can't see them releasing him. Keep Hardy and put Roosevelt on PS

Here's the issue with Hardy.. He's not a contributor on Special teams.. If he were a top 3, even 4 WR on this team, then I could see keeping him. . But Parrish has clearly taken the #3, and either Nelson or Jackson will be the #4.

So to me, Hardy has absolutely no value to this team at all. At least Roosevelt and even Jones have some ST value to the roster.

Im not sure if they keep 5 or 6.. Just like DB's, it almost always seems to revolve around healthy bodies available at other positions.

But for Hardy specifically, unless he can overtake Chad Jackson (I think D. Nelson is a lock), I don't see him on the roster past Saturday.

BigZ
09-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I agree with Terry. Roosevelt will clear waivers. When Hardy get's hurt in the 3rd game (as he's covering kicks on ST) we'll have his replacement ready!

patmoran2006
09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree with Terry. Roosevelt will clear waivers. When Hardy get's hurt in the 3rd game (as he's covering kicks on ST) we'll have his replacement ready!

OK, but then I pose.. What value does Hardy have to the team? If Parrish, Jackson and Nelson are all lining up alongside Johnson and Evans, where does Hardy fit in?

Again, to the best of my knowledge, Hardy has no special teams ability.. your 5th and especially your 6th WR (if you keep 6) better have the ability to play special teams.

justasportsfan
09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
If Parrish, Jackson and Nelson are all lining up alongside Johnson and Evans, where does Hardy fit in?

David Nelson, Shawn Nelson, Hardy all standing beside each other for a jump ball in the end zone. What are the chances of one of them coming down with the ball? :yle:

trapezeus
09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
hardy has a contract too. wouldn't it benefit the bills to cut the larger contract adn the dead weight associated to it, than stick with him?

i just don't get the sense that gailey thinks hardy is a work in process. i think he knows exactly what he has, and its not much. i think players who seem to be coming along get more respect from gailey.