PDA

View Full Version : Who's the late bloomer this year?

psubills62
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
And by "late bloomer," I mean the guy who scores huge stats in the 4th preseason game and gets a large following among the fans who clamor for him to stay on the roster.

We all know who I'm talking about - guys like Copeland Bryan, Fred Jackson, Steve Johnson, etc.

Who do you think it will be this year?

I'm going to say Donald Jones.

I was going to pick Hardy, but I just don't think he'll put up good stats tonight. If Brohm indeed plays a significant amount to fight for a roster spot...well, Jones was one of his favorite targets when playing the Colts.

Anyone else want to venture a guess? Maybe Antonio Coleman? John McCargo?

Side note: why can't we play a different team than the Lions every preseason for the final game? Get someone who might actually prepare us for the regular season...

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Stevie Johnson will elevate himself back to deity status.

He will catch 3 balls for 75 yds and a TD, and all the Lil'Stevie boners will rise and begin sculpting a wooden statue of him to be stolen @ the Miami game.

psubills62
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Stevie Johnson will elevate himself back to deity status.

He will catch 3 balls for 75 yds and a TD, and all the Lil'Stevie boners will rise and begin sculpting a wooden statue of him to be stolen @ the Miami game.

I was thinking more along the lines of players on the roster bubble, but that works.

cocamide
09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Roscoe.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I hope it's Coleman. I would like him to make the final roster.

psubills62
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I hope it's Coleman. I would like him to make the final roster.

I have a feeling that they'll end up keeping 5 OLB's, with Coleman as the 5th.

What frustrates me is that the talent we have currently is found in really young guys and UDFA's (Bell, Coleman). So while Kelsay gets a pass because he's got experience, guys like Coleman are fighting for a roster spot. It should be the other way around, imo. Hopefully the coaching staff is planning on letting Kelsay hit free agency next year and develop Coleman as a backup.

It kind of reminds me of Penn State's QB situation right now. The real talent at QB is represented by two true freshman, but two slightly older guys know the playbook better. Normally PSU goes with the older guys, but this time they seemed to make the right decision. It was a big surprise, but they named one of the true freshmen the starter for the first game, and most likely the rest of the season. Just have to hope Buffalo does the same.