PDA

View Full Version : Despite the Phishy smell and all the teal decor...

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I was having a hard time understanding why fans of other teams would frequent the Zone. I always felt they get off a little easy sporting the teal and orange, and completely unjustified arrogance concerning their team, in the Zone.

I decided I would try things from their prospective, and check out a Phish forum. I thought long and hard, for 3 seconds about signing up and posting, but realized I could care less what they have to say, and from reading their post here, realized the feeling would be mutual.

I did take a look, a little lurking, I guess. When I clicked on forums, I found one thread that was particularly interesting, and I figured I would share it, because there has to be a couple of you that find this as entertaining as me.

Time to worry about Buffalo (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?281460-Time-to-worry-about-Buffalo)

OpIv37
09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, I honestly expected the original poster to get torn to shreds for suggesting their beloved Fish would lose to the Bills, but most of the responses were surprisingly rational. Even the people who disagreed and thought the Fish would win had reasons for their opinions.

Try starting a "Time to Worry about Miami" thread here, and it will be 3 pages of "stop being a negative nancy. The media underrates us."

Bling
09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm terrified of Buffalo. CJ Spiller, Lee Evans.... uh.... uh.... Aaron Maybin?

Yeah, I'm not worried. Glad the game is early in the season instead of the cold.

kelly2reed4six
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
man, i just read a few pages and I am FIRED UP for September 12th! I'm considering driving up from Northern VA. now since I have a 4 day weekend!

Buffalogic
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I'm not worried. Glad the game is early in the season instead of the cold.When was the last time the fins opened 1-0? I don't even remember.

psubills62
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I'm not worried. Glad the game is early in the season instead of the cold.

Just like we should be worried about Miami. Brandon Marshall, Ronnie Brown.... uh.... uh.... Koa Misi?

Buffalogic
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Just like we should be worried about Miami. Brandon Marshall, Ronnie Brown.... uh.... uh.... Koa Misi?But but the fins were 7-9 last year!! Be afraid, be very afraid!

cocamide
09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
If we lose, I hope we just get blown out. I don't think I can take another loss like the Dallas or NE MNF games.

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
But but the fins were 7-9 last year!! Be afraid, be very afraid!

That, and they have a "Franchise QB," or so they say... he hasn't really proven anything, but he is great. You know, kind of like Edwards was a few years ago, on the cusp.

wmoz11
09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Apparently "franchise QB" = taken early in the draft and has nothing to do with actual on-field accomplishments, now-a-days.

Buffalogic
09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
That, and they have a "Franchise QB," or so they say... he hasn't really proven anything, but he is great. You know, kind of like Edwards was a few years ago, on the cusp.Henne is the Sanchez of Miami. Under producing and overrated.

madness
09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Key Stat
The Dolphins were intercepted four times, including three picks by Henne and another from RB Ricky Williams. Miami has now turned the ball over 17 times after committing a record-low 13 last season.

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Please give me the story about how we didn't beat you guys last year again. That is entertaining to listen to how Miami "lost" the game, we didn't "win," because they called bad plays, didn't play defense, etc.

So, a game that ends up with your coach crying that we ran up the score, even though it was less of a margin than the Dolphin win in Miami. I'm sure you remember that game...17-3 at the half and you didn't take your foot of the gas, but in Buffalo, when you were actually winning going into the 4th, we ran it up? I guess crying is to be expected if you wear teal.

I don't know why people think so much of the Dolphins or Jets, but I know that it will be fun to see them trip over their egos and land in the basement.

There really is no feeling like having Tuna-Phish at the Ralph!!

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
If we lose, I hope we just get blown out. I don't think I can take another loss like the Dallas or NE MNF games.

1. It's the opener
2. Its the Dolphins in the Ralph

Ain't no "if we lose!" Come on man, we are the 12th man, not ****ing Eyore.

Why not us? Billieve brother. You know what, if I cheer for the Bills, and they lost every game...so ****ing what? I am going to root for them no matter what, so there is no need to test the water and see if it is ok to root for my team.

I am ****ing tired of our fans acting like we are *****es to the other team's fans.

Even the Patriots...their fans are all cocky, and they are everywhere...the same team that couldn't get fans in Boston in the '80's...the Ralph was full.

The Jets? They happen to be the darling, but NYC always has another team on reserve, and will forget all about the Jets in the Giants win...the Ralph will be full.

The Phins? Read the link. Joe Robi, or whatever the sponsor's name is, is nothing compared to the Ralph. 80 and sunny in December, not full, -50 with 18 inches of snow...the Ralph is full.

Every team has a rough go of it. Ours has been bad, but we we've never been the worst team in the league, and rarely the division.

The bad part is that all of us that are here now, will have a lot more among us when we start winning. I remember the early 90's, Bills fans everywhere, not the case any more, either way...the Ralph is still full and we're all here. They use the word "diehard" Well there are a lot that have died, and we haven't, despite how hard it has been...maybe time for a new term.

Mike13
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM
So you can underestimate us but we cant underestimate you?

Truly a Buffalo line of thinking.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I love the smell of dead, rotting Phish at the Ralph. It's so invigorating!

OpIv37
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
1. It's the opener

Why not us? Billieve brother. You know what, if I cheer for the Bills, and they lost every game...so ****ing what? I am going to root for them no matter what, so there is no need to test the water and see if it is ok to root for my team.

I am ****ing tired of our fans acting like we are *****es to the other team's fans.

Even the Patriots...their fans are all cocky, and they are everywhere...the same team that couldn't get fans in Boston in the '80's...the Ralph was full.

The Jets? They happen to be the darling, but NYC always has another team on reserve, and will forget all about the Jets in the Giants win...the Ralph will be full.

The Phins? Read the link. Joe Robi, or whatever the sponsor's name is, is nothing compared to the Ralph. 80 and sunny in December, not full, -50 with 18 inches of snow...the Ralph is full.

Every team has a rough go of it. Ours has been bad, but we we've never been the worst team in the league, and rarely the division.

The bad part is that all of us that are here now, will have a lot more among us when we start winning. I remember the early 90's, Bills fans everywhere, not the case any more, either way...the Ralph is still full and we're all here. They use the word "diehard" Well there are a lot that have died, and we haven't, despite how hard it has been...maybe time for a new term.

This is exactly what drives me nuts about this board. If you look at the Fins board, the posters actually discuss why they think the Fish will or won't win the game. Here, we get a bunch of "Rah-rah GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!" rhetoric without having an actual discussion of what we think will happen on the field.

This is a great endorsement of our fans, but it really says nothing about how Buffalo can win on opening day.

Buffalogic
09-02-2010, 11:33 AM
This is exactly what drives me nuts about this board. If you look at the Fins board, the posters actually discuss why they think the Fish will or won't win the game. Here, we get a bunch of "Rah-rah GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!" rhetoric without having an actual discussion of what we think will happen on the field.

This is a great endorsement of our fans, but it really says nothing about how Buffalo can win on opening day.Yeah because when analyzing the bills everyone just says rofl oline and lol chan gailey.

Don't try to make them out to be scholars because you want to dog some of the posters here.

LtFinFan66
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I was having a hard time understanding why fans of other teams would frequent the Zone. I always felt they get off a little easy sporting the teal and orange, and completely unjustified arrogance concerning their team, in the Zone.

I decided I would try things from their prospective, and check out a Phish forum. I thought long and hard, for 3 seconds about signing up and posting, but realized I could care less what they have to say, and from reading their post here, realized the feeling would be mutual.

I did take a look, a little lurking, I guess. When I clicked on forums, I found one thread that was particularly interesting, and I figured I would share it, because there has to be a couple of you that find this as entertaining as me.

Time to worry about Buffalo (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?281460-Time-to-worry-about-Buffalo)your first mistake was going to the home of the idiots....Finhell. Try thephins.com

OpIv37
09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah because when analyzing the bills everyone just says rofl oline and lol chan gailey.

Don't try to make them out to be scholars because you want to dog some of the posters here.

They're not scholars. They're just people who express an opinion and put a reason behind it instead of a bunch of cheerleading bull****. They respond to the topic at hand instead of dogging the original poster because he said something they don't want to hear.

The overwhelming majority of people on this board are Bills fans. We know how loud the 12th man at the Ralph is. We know how we show up in droves even when the team sucks. We know our fans are diehard. What's the point in bringing it up all the time?

If a poster says something negative about the Bills on this board, they get trashed, even if the comments are realistic and supported by facts. That's not what happened on that Fins board- a poster suggested the Fins might lose to us, and they had a reasonable discussion about it instead of just accusing the poster of being a "negative nancy."

Mike13
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
your first mistake was going to the home of the idiots....Finhell. Try thephins.com

ahh Finheaven

The site we call the zoo

We eat the night, we drink the time
Make our dreams come true
And hungry eyes are passing by
On the site we call the zoo

justasportsfan
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM

The better team on the field will no doubt be Miami. Only way Buffalo wins is if Miami beats themselves. You can never overlook a NFL team, but this is a game Miami should win easily.

Same old homer Nuby. The fish should have beaten us easily last year but it didn't happen.

justasportsfan
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
ahh Finheaven

The site we call the zoo

We eat the night, we drink the time
Make our dreams come true
And hungry eyes are passing by
On the site we call the zoo

the responses were not that bad actually.

kelly2reed4six
09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
1. It's the opener

Holy ***** man! I think the bills need to hire you as their pre-game motivator! Are you sure you're not Marv??

ddaryl
09-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I think that thread further proves that we might finally be on the right track as an organization.. Our AFC east rivals have taken some notice

Nighthawk
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
It is really comical how good some Phin fans think that team is. I don't see why any Phin fan would underestimate any NFL team. Their QB is mediocre at best at this point in his career, their defense is not that good and unless I'm missing something, they weren't exactly beating up on any teams last year. The Bills will struggle this year, but I think they will hang with and beat the Dolphins in week 1.

Cntrygal
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Where's Shelby? They used the forbidden term.............. talking about their schemes. :rofl:

BertSquirtgum
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
i stopped reading at page 9. some good posts and there were some ******s posting.

LtFinFan66
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
It is really comical how good some Phin fans think that team is. I don't see why any Phin fan would underestimate any NFL team. Their QB is mediocre at best at this point in his career, their defense is not that good and unless I'm missing something, they weren't exactly beating up on any teams last year. The Bills will struggle this year, but I think they will hang with and beat the Dolphins in week 1.how is this just a Phin thing? Every single team has those type homers

psubills62
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM

If that's truly what happens, there's no problem with both sides underestimating each other - that's what happens when fans talk about their teams and their teams' opponents.

However, based on preseason hype vs. end result, it would appear that the Bills tend to end up slightly ahead of where the experts rank them, and the Dolphins somewhat behind (except in 2008). So in the end, are we really underestimating you or do we simply have more realistic expectations?

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
They're not scholars. They're just people who express an opinion and put a reason behind it instead of a bunch of cheerleading bull****. They respond to the topic at hand instead of dogging the original poster because he said something they don't want to hear.

The overwhelming majority of people on this board are Bills fans. We know how loud the 12th man at the Ralph is. We know how we show up in droves even when the team sucks. We know our fans are diehard. What's the point in bringing it up all the time?

If a poster says something negative about the Bills on this board, they get trashed, even if the comments are realistic and supported by facts. That's not what happened on that Fins board- a poster suggested the Fins might lose to us, and they had a reasonable discussion about it instead of just accusing the poster of being a "negative nancy."

In defense of my response being "rah rah," I am ****ing rah rah, but it was in response to a comment just wishing we'd get blown out, not lose a good hard fought game. I guess, even more specifically, it was a post hoping we didn't lose a good game due to poor decision making, and clock-management, in the last couple minutes.

I believe a little rah rah is justified. If you are implying that all of the "1-15" posts are backed by solid arguments and shrewd logic, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I am aware of your feelings on the FA signings, the positions of need, and the new defense. I don't think you have been called a "negative nancy," how could one do that when you are such a ray of sunshine?

The "realistic comments supported by facts" are things like Cody would have been a better pick that Troup. That could be realistic, but it is certainly no fact. I am not of the same opinion as you, and regardless of how you feel, your opinions are not facts.

Your opinion, or maybe your educated guess is that our linebackers will not be good. I think they will be fine. The fundamental difference comes in the trashing of Poz. We differ in opinions on his worth as a MLB. I don't consider stats to be facts, but I could distort numbers to support my opinion, as I am sure you could as well.

I guess I apologize if, with the 4th preseason game tonight and the opener a little over a week away, if I let the homer in me get a little out of control. No...I don't apologize for that, I apologize if it offends you.

I guess I thought that a little ribbing between us and the phish would be fun, apparently that isn't the case. I should have said how miserable the last decade has made me and sit and stew in my own ****. That would have been "realistic."

I don't know about you, but I have two kids, a stressful job, a **** load of bills (not the rah rah kind,) and enough stress to deal with in my life, that I use the Bills as a bit of an escape. I think it is a lot more fun to cheer, and try to find the positive. That doesn't mean I was standing there at the end of the Cleveland game last year, or the year before, saying "Golly gee that was fun guys! Get'em next time." It does mean that I was right back at the Ralph or in front of a TV for an away game the very next week pulling for the Bills.

I go to every game at the Ralph, like many here. I can tell you that the Miami game is the only game that a rival fan got any **** in the stands. The other games the fans sit like beaten dogs while the rivals fan talks ****. They either do that or sit and rag on the team. Whatever. It's just a little pride, and it is supposed to be fun. A rival is a rival, whether we haven't beat them in 7 years or not.

Again, I started this thread with different intent, and was specifically responding to a battered-wife-like post. I have my concerns about this team, and would be crazy not to, I guess we just have different ways of expressing it, and apparently we should all just take your approach.

Sorry for not being intellectual enough for you. I will try to keep enthusiasm or optimism out of all posts, and use only cold hard facts...but are there more than just the constant negative ones you cling to, on your quest to prove how bad this team can be?

Beebe's Kid
09-02-2010, 01:41 PM

It didn't appear your fellow phans were underestimating us...it sounded like they were a little apprehensive.

Wait, who said anything about underestimating you? I think I questioned the national opinion that they are a force to be reckoned with, if that's underestimation, so be it.

You can play the victim, but we can't? Wait, I don't want to play the victim...I thought we were just getting fired up for the opener.

Hang around on another team's message board and fire off a cheap shot mid thread...truly a Miami line of thinking.

justasportsfan
09-02-2010, 01:44 PM

This is a great endorsement of our fans, but it really says nothing about how Buffalo can win on opening day.

but this HOMER post doesn't drive you nuts?

Seems to me you spend more time blasting homers of the bills on a bills message board but when a homer of a rival teams says something homeristic it doesn't bother you?

DA-2's post is nothing but rahrah but you say nothing about it. Maybe you're a closet finfan.

OpIv37
09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
In defense of my response being "rah rah," I am ****ing rah rah, but it was in response to a comment just wishing we'd get blown out, not lose a good hard fought game. I guess, even more specifically, it was a post hoping we didn't lose a good game due to poor decision making, and clock-management, in the last couple minutes.

I believe a little rah rah is justified. If you are implying that all of the "1-15" posts are backed by solid arguments and shrewd logic, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I am aware of your feelings on the FA signings, the positions of need, and the new defense. I don't think you have been called a "negative nancy," how could one do that when you are such a ray of sunshine?

The "realistic comments supported by facts" are things like Cody would have been a better pick that Troup. That could be realistic, but it is certainly no fact. I am not of the same opinion as you, and regardless of how you feel, your opinions are not facts.

Your opinion, or maybe your educated guess is that our linebackers will not be good. I think they will be fine. The fundamental difference comes in the trashing of Poz. We differ in opinions on his worth as a MLB. I don't consider stats to be facts, but I could distort numbers to support my opinion, as I am sure you could as well.

I guess I apologize if, with the 4th preseason game tonight and the opener a little over a week away, if I let the homer in me get a little out of control. No...I don't apologize for that, I apologize if it offends you.

I guess I thought that a little ribbing between us and the phish would be fun, apparently that isn't the case. I should have said how miserable the last decade has made me and sit and stew in my own ****. That would have been "realistic."

I don't know about you, but I have two kids, a stressful job, a **** load of bills (not the rah rah kind,) and enough stress to deal with in my life, that I use the Bills as a bit of an escape. I think it is a lot more fun to cheer, and try to find the positive. That doesn't mean I was standing there at the end of the Cleveland game last year, or the year before, saying "Golly gee that was fun guys! Get'em next time." It does mean that I was right back at the Ralph or in front of a TV for an away game the very next week pulling for the Bills.

I go to every game at the Ralph, like many here. I can tell you that the Miami game is the only game that a rival fan got any **** in the stands. The other games the fans sit like beaten dogs while the rivals fan talks ****. They either do that or sit and rag on the team. Whatever. It's just a little pride, and it is supposed to be fun. A rival is a rival, whether we haven't beat them in 7 years or not.

Again, I started this thread with different intent, and was specifically responding to a battered-wife-like post. I have my concerns about this team, and would be crazy not to, I guess we just have different ways of expressing it, and apparently we should all just take your approach.

Sorry for not being intellectual enough for you. I will try to keep enthusiasm or optimism out of all posts, and use only cold hard facts...but are there more than just the constant negative ones you cling to, on your quest to prove how bad this team can be?

When I "trash" Poz, I don't do it based solely on numbers. I do it based on what I see on the field. I haven't had time to watch the 3rd preseason game yet, but in the second game, Poz only had one series. He got pushed back by the TE trying to make a tackle, he was late getting to the edge on a running play, and he got swallowed up by blockers a couple of times. This isn't numbers. This isn't trashing. It's what actually happened on the field. And beyond that, Poz is far from the only problem with the LB's. Ellis has looked decent. None of the rest of them have shown anything. They all look out of place in this D. So, even if you disagree with my assessment of Poz (which would be stupid because it's right there on the game tape), there are plenty of other reasons to question our LB's.

As far as Cody vs Troup, well obviously there is no way to know until they start playing. But I do find it curious that EVERYONE had Cody ahead of Troup except the Bills. Draft forecasts are predictions and nothing more, but generally speaking, when there is universal agreement on a pick, it turns out to be correct.

If you have to "try to find the positive" in the Bills to escape stress, perhaps you need to find another outlet. More often than not, the Bills disappoint. There is no sense in pretending that something is better than it is in order to escape stress- find something that is ACTUALLY good. Enthusiasm and optimism aren't always warranted. I'm not negative simply for the sake of being negative- I'm negative because the reality is that the team is a mess right now. That's not how I want it to be- that's not how you want to be- but it is what it is and neither of us can change it.

And this may come as a shock to you- it certainly shocks other people- I watch every second of every game. I don't go to many games, but I live 400 miles from the stadium. I still make it to the games when they play in Baltimore or DC, and I do make it back to Buffalo for games on occasion. I don't have to pretend the team is better than it is to watch them. And no, I don't always enjoy the games because there is nothing enjoyable about how this team has played lately. But I'm a fan so I hang in there and watch the team anyway.

BertSquirtgum
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
you eat peices of **** for breakfast? that would ruin my outlook on life too.

Barb
09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
When was the last time the fins opened 1-0? I don't even remember.

welcome to the last years, this has absolutely no bearing on what will happen this year, you have to understand guys that this is year 3 of the parcells era, they have to show something this year, they have to absolutely win this game at buffalo, with the upcoming schedule, its a must win in week 1 and i think we will be ready, the new guys in marshall and dansby will be pumped

better days
09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
welcome to the last years, this has absolutely no bearing on what will happen this year, you have to understand guys that this is year 3 of the parcells era, they have to show something this year, they have to absolutely win this game at buffalo, with the upcoming schedule, its a must win in week 1 and i think we will be ready, the new guys in marshall and dansby will be pumped

And you don't think the Bills will be pumped? There is nothing like opening day in Buffalo, & you better believe the Bills will be pumped to win Chan his 1st game as Bills HC.

Nighthawk
09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
how is this just a Phin thing? Every single team has those type homers

This is a Phin fan related thread...thus the correlation.

OpIv37
09-02-2010, 07:28 PM
but this HOMER post doesn't drive you nuts?

Seems to me you spend more time blasting homers of the bills on a bills message board but when a homer of a rival teams says something homeristic it doesn't bother you?

DA-2's post is nothing but rahrah but you say nothing about it. Maybe you're a closet finfan.
His post isn't a homer post. This shows your laconic objectivity. If you were a fan of another team, which Bills players would concern you? Spiller and... Spiller. We have no star players and few above average players. Sure, DA-2 overrates the Phins, but that post wasn't about the Phins. It was about the Bills, and it was pretty accurate.