PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 vs. 4-3

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I have not seen this brought up here yet, but in his post game press conference Gailey said that the Bills will continue to mix in 4-3 looks along with the 3-4 this year. While I think the team is woefully short on 3-4 players at LB and DL, I am not sure I love this idea. Make the switch and go with it.

But I do think that this might mean a few things. One, if they do want to run some 4-3 during the season, McCargo might get a reprieve and make the team. I also guarantees that Mitchell stays, as he comes into the game as a OLB (Mitchell/Davis/Poz) in their base 4-3.

It might give opponents some issues with blocking schemes, but in the end I am not sure it is a benefit for the Bills

Night Train
09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
From what I saw,the "mix" is whether Kelsay sticks his hand in the ground or stands up.

It's no big lineup shuffle unless Gailey changes it for the regular season. We'll see.

OpIv37
09-03-2010, 09:24 AM
I think it's an acknowledgment of the reality that we don't have proper personnel for the 3-4 yet. I'm not thrilled with the idea, but our team is currently a mix of 4-3 personnel left over from last year and the 3-4 personnel that they were able to get this year. So, play the hand you're dealt and hope for the best. At least our players will get some experience in the 3-4 and be better off for next year, and then we can phase out the 4-3 as we bring in the right people.

Pinkerton Security
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
most "3-4 teams" still mix in 4-3 sets...i guess it'll depend on how often we use a 4-3

Jaybird
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
whatever it takes to stop the run!

stuckincincy
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I have not seen this brought up here yet, but in his post game press conference Gailey said that the Bills will continue to mix in 4-3 looks along with the 3-4 this year. While I think the team is woefully short on 3-4 players at LB and DL, I am not sure I love this idea. Make the switch and go with it.

But I do think that this might mean a few things. One, if they do want to run some 4-3 during the season, McCargo might get a reprieve and make the team. I also guarantees that Mitchell stays, as he comes into the game as a OLB (Mitchell/Davis/Poz) in their base 4-3.

It might give opponents some issues with blocking schemes, but in the end I am not sure it is a benefit for the Bills

You have to mix up defensive sets for the same reasons that an offense presents several, such as 3 or 4 wr formations, or an unbalanced line - try to unsettle the opponent. Making them guess is beneficial.

Philagape
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
whatever it takes to stop the run!

Exactly ... The beauty if defense is you can do anything you want. Let them be a 4-3 or 5-2 or 6-1 or 1-6. I don't care. Do what works. Give the opponents different looks. Creativity is good.

trapezeus
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
again, not to get too high on chan, but he clearly sees what we see. a defense that is struggling mightily. The bills defense isn't going to out talent another offense. the element of surprise and "what are they doing?" will help level the playing field.

This is in direct opposition to the Jauron method of slamming the square peg into the round hole and then reviewing the tape for 3 days and deciding that still is the best idea of getting the peg in the hole.

Extremebillsfan247
09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I think it's an acknowledgment of the reality that we don't have proper personnel for the 3-4 yet. I'm not thrilled with the idea, but our team is currently a mix of 4-3 personnel left over from last year and the 3-4 personnel that they were able to get this year. So, play the hand you're dealt and hope for the best. At least our players will get some experience in the 3-4 and be better off for next year, and then we can phase out the 4-3 as we bring in the right people.
I was going to leave a comment, but after seeing this one, it about sums up what I'm thinking too. The Bills will be better off this year going into sort of a hybrid type defense until they get more suitable personnel to run a 3/4 sufficiently. They don't have that right now. Good post...

!Papacrunk!
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
with a lot of the former Miami 3-4 DCs, they had used a hyrbid of the two, but as you guys have said, it takes a while to make that full transition. I'm curious if that's actually commonplace with a lot of other teams that run the 3-4, or if it's during the implementation period of the 3-4.

X-Era
09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I dont know if the 3-4 is an effective defense against the spread (3+ wides). It would seem that that many defensive lineman may cause mismatches.

Ingtar33
09-04-2010, 01:48 AM

I did that too my first year coaching... as i was switching schemes from the 4-3 to the 3-4.

You have to dance with what's on the dance floor... if i was the Bills coach i would probably mix it up as well this year.