PDA

View Full Version : Cut players on the radar

psubills62
09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
When cuts come rolling in, that is. I think it would be nice to have a running list of players who are intriguing, just to keep an eye on them.

Here's a few who haven't been released yet, but it's possible or likely:
C Justin Hartwig, Steelers
OG Kraig Urbik, Steelers
G/C Jason Spitz, Packers
WR Freddie Barnes, Bears (has been released)
WR Jason Hill, 49ers (has been released)
NT Chris Baker, Broncos (has been released)
TE Anthony Becht, Cardinals (has been released)

Note: I'm not saying that we should necessarily sign any of these guys. I'd just like a generally comprehensive list of who people think we should keep an eye on, in case they are cut. Our depth is weak enough at multiple spots that we could possibly use help from cut players, especially if they were released due to monetary reasons.

Jaybird
09-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Fred Barnes put up huge numbers at the college level. good possesion Wr

billsburgh
09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I would say no to anyone lineman released from the Steelers.

Beebe's Kid
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Even if he was to replace a lineman replaced by the Bills? We are shopping for starters, but a little depth.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Even for depth? Urbik has apparently disappointed, but Hartwig was their starter not too long ago. He would bring some good experience as a backup, especially against 3-4 NT's.

Extremebillsfan247
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Cuts are officially underway. Here is a quick list of players who already got the axe from their perspective teams.

(http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
Cardinals ILB Monty Beisel released
Eagles acquire OL Reggie Wells from Arizona for 2011 pick, cut: CB David Pender, CB Geoff Pope, DT Boo Robinson, and S Anthony Scirrotto, RB J.J. Arrington, WR Dobson Collins, DE Pannel Egboh, TE Nate Lawrie, RB Martell Mallett, T Jeraill McCuller ...
49ers cut RB Michael Robinson and CB Karl Paymah.
Saints released DE Bobby McCray.Falcons cut fullback Dan Klecko.Jaguars will release running back Kolby Smith
RB Ladell Betts got cut in New Orleans.
Jets cut LB Ricky Foley, who they claimed on waivers from Seattle this week.
Other news, Steelers give permission to C Justin Hartwig to seek a trade and speak to other teams.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Broncos released OLB Jammie Kirlew, as well as two TE's: Nathan Overbay and Kory Sperry. Not sure why the latter name sounds familiar, but it does.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 02:07 PM

I liked him coming into the draft. Wouldn't mind getting him on the PS.

HHURRICANE
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Nelson really ****ed us.

I really don't see the Bills picking up anyone of signifigance.

k-oneputt
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Barnes will already be on our ps, his name is Roosevelt.

stuckincincy
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=psubills62]When cuts come rolling in, that is. I think it would be nice to have a running list of players who are intriguing, just to keep an eye on them.

Here's a few who haven't been released yet, but it's possible or likely:
C Justin Hartwig, Steelers
OG Kraig Urbik, Steelers
WR Quan Cosby, Bengals
G/C Jason Spitz, Packers
WR Freddie Barnes, Bears (has been released)
WR Jason Hill, 49ers (has been released)
NT Chris Baker, Broncos (has been released)

/QUOTE]

I'm thinking CIN hangs on to Cosby, and cuts Matt Jones and former #2 Jerome Simpson.

All preseason, Jones was relegated to sideline routes. Some catches, some failures. They say he has speed, but I sure didn't see it. I recall 3 plays where he didn't grasp the idea of getting down of both feet inbounds can result in a reception.

Simpson is of course a money thing. He has multi-million dollar talent and a ten cent head. IIRC, he has but 1 regular season catch. He caught six of six in CIN's 5th ps game, against the game-long IND scrub squad (we know what IND does in the preseason).

He can jump over the moon, has hands the size of Wilt Chamberlain, and fly like a racehorse (he's a decent ST player). but doesn't have a clue where the 1st down marker is, or what running a pattern means.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking CIN hangs on to Cosby, and cuts Matt Jones and former #2 Jerome Simpson.

All preseason, Jones was relegated to sideline routes. Some catches, some failures. They say he has speed, but I sure didn't see it. I recall 3 plays where he didn't grasp the idea of getting down of both feet inbounds can result in a reception.

Simpson is of course a money thing. He has multi-million dollar talent and a ten cent head. IIRC, he has but 1 regular season catch. He caught six of six in CIN's 5th ps game, against the game-long IND scrub squad (we know what IND does in the preseason).

He can jump over the moon, has hands the size of Wilt Chamberlain, and fly like a racehorse (he's a decent ST player). but doesn't have a clue where the 1st down marker is, or what running a pattern means.

They might hang onto Cosby, but I recently saw a report saying he could be cut. That's why I put him on the list - in case he does.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Barnes was far more productive than Roosevelt in college. As far as what he can bring to the table, probably similar things, but I like Barnes a little more than Roosevelt, personally, besides the feel-good story.

Jaybird
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Barnes set NCAA records in receptions last season.. the guy caught 144 or so balls

stuckincincy
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
They might hang onto Cosby, but I recently saw a report saying he could be cut. That's why I put him on the list - in case he does.

Fair enough. If cut, BUF should give a good look at him. He's solidly within the category of players known as "gamers."

k-oneputt
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Barnes and Roosevelt are the same player, lack of speed, marginal size, no special quality.
how many catches either had in college is meaningless.

k-oneputt
09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I really don't like either one, and wouldn't even waste a practice squad place on them.

Scumbag College
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
The Bills need an immediate upgrade at TE, even if it's renting a #3 TE for a month until Nelson gets back. Either that, or go 3 or 4 wide a majority of the time the first month of the season.

clumping platelets
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Reggie Wells could have helped us on the OL

Night Train
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Reggie Wells could have helped us on the OL

Remember a few years back we signed him to that pretty large offer sheet and the Cards matched it. Now the cards OL is struggling and they see him as expendable.

I'm more interested in Tackles.

psubills62
09-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I probably won't be able to update this thread as much as I would like. Quan Cosby did apparently make the final roster.

Recently released:
OG Herman Johnson, Cardinals
QB John David Booty, Texans
G/C Nick Leckey, Saints
LB Matt Wilhelm, 49ers

Michael82
09-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Nick Leckey would be solid depth for us!

Bosco
09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Please refresh my memory.

What is the order of teams that would be awarded a waiver player claim before the Bills ?

Bmax
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Why would we pick up any WR....these are no better than what we have....

BMAX

more cowbell
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I would like to see Jason Hill signed considering there is no chance we go after housh...

I bet we take a look at Matt Wilhelm...hes a Nix guy

acehole
09-03-2010, 11:28 PM

He is ok on fox news but he might be to old to play now.

billsburgh
09-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Remember a few years back we signed him to that pretty large offer sheet and the Cards matched it. Now the cards OL is struggling and they see him as expendable.

I'm more interested in Tackles.
Philly could be shopping Stacey Andrews

ESPN's Adam Schefter, who reported the Wells trade, speculates that the Birds might be trying to move Stacy Andrews, who obviously would rather be playing tackle than guard.

Other sources subsequently said the Eagles are shopping Andrews.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/homepage/Birds_Trade_for_O-Lineman.html#ixzz0yX49ki00
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

psubills62
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Why would we pick up any WR....these are no better than what we have....

BMAX

Jason Hill would be an upgrade.

YardRat
09-04-2010, 02:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Not that he should be on our radar, but a kid that played HS ball in WNY (Clymer), Jehuu Caulcrick, was released from SF.

psubills62
09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
More players released:

QB Hunter Cantwell, Panthers
WR Matt Jones, Bengals
WR Dezmon Briscoe, Bengals
TE Bear Pascoe, Giants
OT Dennis Landolt, Giants
TE Davon Drew, Ravens

Another interesting cut (not someone I want to pick up at all):

WR Patrick Turner, Dolphins

better days
09-04-2010, 11:24 AM
More players released:

WR Matt Jones, Bengals
TE Bear Pascoe, Giants
TE Davon Drew, Ravens

The Bills need to check out the TE's that become available.

The last buffalo fan
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
More players released:

WR Matt Jones, Bengals
TE Bear Pascoe, Giants
TE Davon Drew, Ravens

Is this the Jones who was drafted by the Jaguars? He was good in my opinion.

better days
09-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Yeah it is & I thought he played well against the Bills in game 3.

Bmax
09-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Stay away from Jones bad news...Drew would be a good young player to develope.. Good Blocker...

Bmax

psubills62
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Yes it is, but he apparently looked bad during TC and preseason, and he's got character issues. I don't think it's worth it, but he's a notable name that's worth a look, at the least.

better days
09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Yes it is, but he apparently looked bad during TC and preseason, and he's got character issues. I don't think it's worth it, but he's a notable name that's worth a look, at the least.

The only issue I'm aware of is he likes to smoke. Are there others?

SquishDaFish
09-04-2010, 12:48 PM
We need TEs what about Anthony Becht (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2158)

ublinkwescore
09-04-2010, 12:59 PM
The only issue I'm aware of is he likes to smoke. Are there others?

I thought he liked to snort coke off of hookers' @$$es.

Not a bad way to amuse yourself if you're rich I guess.

ServoBillieves
09-04-2010, 01:08 PM
For whoever said it, I'd love to bring on Jehuu at FB, even though McIntyre actually showed something this preseason.

And Pat Turner getting cut is BIG news IMO, what the hell did he do to get cut?

BertSquirtgum
09-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I thought he liked to snort coke off of hookers' @$$es.

Not a bad way to amuse yourself if you're rich I guess.

what's wrong with the bold? i thought it was normalcy.

mayotm
09-04-2010, 01:10 PM
The only issue I'm aware of is he likes to smoke. Are there others?I thought it was coke, not weed, that he was busted for.

elltrain22
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Adam Scheffter just tweeted that the Ravens cut Troy Smith

tampabay25690
09-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Brian Brohm put up huge numbers in school too???

psubills62
09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
TE Spencer Havner, Packers

Mr. Pink
09-05-2010, 04:51 AM
J.P. Losman!

We gotta get that guy!

YardRat
09-05-2010, 06:28 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/transactions

Ickybaluky
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
TE Spencer Havner, Packers

I don't see Havner as a fit, as he is more of a FB/H-back guy than a true TE. He was actually a college LB who converted to offense after turning pro. He isn't real big and has always been something of a project. He can play ST, play a little TE, play a little FB and kind of be a do-everything guy. However, I think if the Bills bring in another TE he will be more of an in-line guy, as Nelson isn't as much of an in-line player as a move TE who can push the seam.

psubills62
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't see Havner as a fit, as he is more of a FB/H-back guy than a true TE. He was actually a college LB who converted to offense after turning pro. He isn't real big and has always been something of a project. He can play ST, play a little TE, play a little FB and kind of be a do-everything guy. However, I think if the Bills bring in another TE he will be more of an in-line guy, as Nelson isn't as much of an in-line player as a move TE who can push the seam.

Maybe so, but Havner's got a heck of a lot more talented than Foschi. We could use anyone at the position.