PDA

View Full Version : Bring in Houshmandzadeh!

Demon
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
He's getting cut. Peter King just tweeted Washington, Cleveland and Buffalo will be after him to sign. It's a real cheap deal for us, low risk, high reward. Edwards needs another target, as Steve Johnson has been an absolute bum this pre-season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5529209

Novacane
09-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Definately!

Philagape
09-03-2010, 05:16 PM
If it's zero commitment, sure.
Just temper expectations for a guy who got pushed out by Mike Williams.

Novacane
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
If it's zero commitment, sure.
Just temper expectations for a guy who got pushed out by Mike Williams.

He caught 79 passes last year. Did we have anyone get near that?

DrGraves
09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
steve johnson isn't a bust because he was never anything to begin with!

Demon
09-03-2010, 05:22 PM
steve johnson isn't a bust because he was never anything to begin with!

I never said he was a bust, i said bum. This is the first time he's been given a starting role and this is by far his worst pre-season since entering the NFL. The guy just can't get open and can't catch balls thrown down the field. And the 3rd and 3 play where he couldn't get a first down because he slowed down and tried to dance was it for me.

Philagape
09-03-2010, 05:23 PM
He caught 79 passes last year. Did we have anyone get near that?

He was actually on an NFL offense.

I really wish people would memorize these five words:

Why did they cut him?

Repeat them every time you see a name player cut.

In this case, people will say because he has a huge contract. But the article says Seattle will still pay whatever the difference is between his old and new deals.
So they're paying him not to play for them. Why?
I don't care what he did last year.

Michael82
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I would love to bring him to Buffalo! He used to be a very good #2 WR and would be a solid #2 to Lee Evans. It's obvious that Steve Johnson is not a good #2.

wmoz11
09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
This is actually something I'm for since Seattle will be footing the bill on whatever part of 7M (guaranteed money he's owed this year) we don't sign him for.

I can almost guarantee he ends up in Washington, though.

YardRat
09-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I'd rather they bump Nelson or Jackson to #2, and sign an honest-to-god TE or OT. Maybe even a real LBer.

Demon
09-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Why did they cut him?

In this case, people will say because he has a huge contract. But the article says Seattle will still pay whatever the difference is between his old and new deals.

Because they like what they have now more then TJ.

You think Steve Johnson, David Nelson, Chad Jackson or James Hardy are upgrades over TJ? Please. Repeat what you want a million times and it still won't matter, TJ is 32 years old and beyond his best days, but still, he's much better then those guys and would make the Bills a better football team.

Extremebillsfan247
09-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Couple of questions... first, would picking him up do enough to sell tickets? second, who's going to the airport to watch him come in assuming he does? lol

Novacane
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Nice try. Seahawks were 13th we were 19th in passing. A whole 22 yards per game better.

Why did they cut him?

Repeat them every time you see a name player cut

Could be he does not get along with the new staff up there. Could be they think he'll be a problem since he was thier big signing a year ago and now will not start. I don't know and either do you. I am pretty sure the reason is not that he is not all of the sudden washed up .

I don't care what he did last year

It's relevant whether you care or not. It proves that last year he was pretty good. How many guys have a pretty good year and then the next year are done? He may have even been the reason Seattle passed for 22 more ypg than Buffalo?

Novacane
09-03-2010, 05:58 PM
There were 12 recievers in the league who had more catches than TJ last year. But hey........last year don't mean ****.

Night Train
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd rather they bump Nelson or Jackson to #2, and sign an honest-to-god TE or OT. Maybe even a real LBer.

I wouldn't mind him coming here but all the same, I agree with your thinking.

Philagape
09-03-2010, 06:19 PM

You think Steve Johnson, David Nelson, Chad Jackson or James Hardy are upgrades over TJ? Please. Repeat what you want a million times and it still won't matter, TJ is 32 years old and beyond his best days, but still, he's much better then those guys and would make the Bills a better football team.

What they have now is former massive bust Mike Williams; Deion Branch, who's long past his best days because he's being held together by duct tape; unproven prospect Deon Butler; and Golden Tate, who's reportedly been in over his head.

Since they'd rather have that motley bunch instead of TJ, while paying him big bucks either way, I can't assume anything about him. I've read negative things about his attitude.

Last year the Bills brought in a future Hall-of-Famer who's many times the receiver TJ is. And the Bills' record got worse.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to bringing him in if there's zero risk, so I don't know why people are being so disagreeable.

Philagape
09-03-2010, 06:23 PM
How much did TJ help Seattle last year? Their offense was almost as bad as Buffalo's.

If you're talking PPR fantasy points, then I'll care about how many catches he had.

Novacane
09-03-2010, 06:29 PM
How much did TJ help Seattle last year? Their offense was almost as bad as Buffalo's.

If you're talking PPR fantasy points, then I'll care about how many catches he had.

:rofl: Unreal man. First you post he only had those catches because he played for a "real NFL" offense now you change to thier offense sucked as almost as much as ours so he was no help to them. I have no comeback for that logic :rofl:

Philagape
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
:rofl: Unreal man. First you post he only had those catches because he played for a "real NFL" offense now you change to thier offense sucked as almost as much as ours so he was no help to them. I have no comeback for that logic :rofl:

I'll help you understand.

Terrell Owens had 55 catches on the Bills last year.
How much do you think TJ, an inferior receiver, would have had if it had been him instead? I bet less than 45.

If you care more about individual stats than how much he helps the team, TJ is the man for you.

Scumbag College
09-03-2010, 06:56 PM

The Buffalo Bills:

TE, LB, and OT free since 2008.

JCBills
09-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Won't know until they hit the field.

Matthew11
09-03-2010, 07:07 PM
If Washington wants him, that's basically the end of the conversation. If not, we'd have a real shot, I think, in a bidding war only against Cleveland. They may be one of the only franchises with less promise for a WR right now than the Bills, and one of the only franchises who exist in a city as bad or worse in the eyes of your "superstar" NFL player.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm not a big "Bring him in" guy, but for the right deal TJ would be fine. A good compliment to Evans. And better than Stevie J.

Novacane
09-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I'll help you understand.

WTF Phil. Why are you being so condesending? Your original posting of this is what got me started in this thread.....

Why did they cut him?

That comes off as a real know it all . I thought maybe I was mistaking your tone but then you follow up with "let me help you understand" Guess I was not mistaking.

Thing is I agree with the point that people get to excited when the see a big name released. Most of the time the guy has been declining for a while and is washed up. That is not the case with TJ and you know it. Is he the be all end all? Never said that. He is definately not done though.

If you care more about individual stats than how much he helps the team, TJ is the man for you..

One question. If you don't consider stats just how do you measure how much a player helped his team?

Philagape
09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
WTF Phil. Why are you being so condesending? Your original posting of this is what got me started in this thread.....

That comes off as a real know it all . I thought maybe I was mistaking your tone but then you follow up with "let me help you understand" Guess I was not mistaking.

You got snotty first ("I have no comeback for that logic :rofl:"), so don't whine about the tone.

Like I've said three times now, I'm not opposed to bringing him in.

One question. If you don't consider stats just how do you measure how much a player helped his team?

How the team does?

Novacane
09-03-2010, 07:45 PM
You got snotty first ("I have no comeback for that logic :rofl:"), so don't whine about the tone.

How the team does?

Not whining. Simply asked why.

How the team does?

A reciever with 40 catches on a 11-5 team is better than a 80 catch guy on a 5-11 team? I'll agree to disagree with you there.

Nighthawk
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM

How the team does?

So, with this philosophy you would say that Calvin Johnson sucks? Or, let's say, Andre Johnson?

Philagape
09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
So, with this philosophy you would say that Calvin Johnson sucks? Or, let's say, Andre Johnson?

Those players aren't getting cut, so no.

Nighthawk
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Those players aren't getting cut, so no.

Umm, your point was just killed. Sorry, Philagape...it made no sense what you said.

Philagape
09-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Umm, your point was just killed. Sorry, Philagape...it made no sense what you said.

Who's saying that anyone sucks anyway?

Why am I being responded to like I'm against this?

FOURTH TIME: I'm not!

All my point is, all it is every time some name player comes up, is that I wish people would stop and analyze why a player is being cut.
Just ask.
That's all.
Yes, players do have huge dropoffs after statistically good years.
Individual stats rarely tell the whole story.
Intangibles matter.

Nighthawk
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM

All my point is, all it is every time some name player comes up, is that I wish people would stop and analyze why a player is being cut.
Just ask.
That's all.
Intangibles matter.

You're missing the point...Housh is being cut because the Seahawks want to get younger, not because he can't play anymore.

Extremebillsfan247
09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
You're missing the point...Housh is being cut because the Seahawks want to get younger, not because he can't play anymore.a 7million dollar price tag doesn't help Housh either. That's one of those scenarios where putting 2 and 2 together becomes pretty easy. JMO..

Philagape
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
a 7million dollar price tag doesn't help Housh either. That's one of those scenarios where putting 2 and 2 together becomes pretty easy. JMO..

They have to pay that either way.

From all I've read, other issues involved are a me-first attitude and being a disappointment as a red-zone target (only 3 TDs last year). It's certainly not unheard of for a player to slack off after getting his huge payday.

BertSquirtgum
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
i think t.j. would be a good addition to this team. although, i don't believe the Bills will go after him. he could definitely help this team, without a doubt.

BertSquirtgum
09-03-2010, 10:29 PM

Just ask.
That's all.
Intangibles matter.
i wish you would stop bringing up negative points to every thread you post in. he's being cut because carroll sucks and wants younger players. i can see it now. the patriots v2.0. seahawks are going to be taaarrible.

more cowbell
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
There is no WAY in hell we go after this guy...it would make too much sense.

However, I remember hearing Housh was our #1 target last off-season and he laughed in our faces when we wanted to bring him in for a workout...then we grasped at straws and signed Blowens. Maybe the second time is the charm?

Philagape
09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
i wish you would stop bringing up negative points to every thread you post in. he's being cut because carroll sucks and wants younger players. i can see it now. the patriots v2.0. seahawks are going to be taaarrible.

I wish the Bills would be a winning team.

If only wishing made it so .....

Ed
09-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Why did they cut him?

Mark Schlereth was on a local sports talk show here in Denver earlier this afternoon and he said that Hasselbeck and TJ have a beef. He didn't really go into details, but I'm assuming their relationship has gotten to a point that it would be detrimental to the offense. So I don't think it has much to do with TJ's skills suddenly eroding.

Personally, I would love this pick-up. TJ's not a burner, but he's pretty big and strong and a smart veteran. He'd be a great compliment to Evans.

Matthew11
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM

Just because a player is cut from a bad team doesn't necessarily make him a bad player (or not worth taking a flyer on). In fact, it is routinely the exact opposite, because bad teams generally have more poor personnel moves -- that's part of what makes them bad.

To answer your original question (Why was he cut?), there are lots of answers to this question that also don't mean he's worthless. He could have attitude issues which can be resolved from a new environment, he could not get along with his teammates or coaching staff, he could simply not fit into a team's game plan or scheme, his contract could be inefficient and so on.

You brought up Terrell Owens, who is arguably (only arguably) a better receiver at this stage of his career than TJ Housh. But at 6 million dollars, Owens was probably not cost efficient. At something like $1 million, if you can get TJ for that, he is incredibly efficient.

Why was he cut? Probably one of the above reasons, combined with a lack of cost efficiency.

It is also the case that although Seattle will have to absorb his contract in terms of cost, the price for cutting him was probably a somewhat lower cap hit than if he was retained.

Billz_fan
09-04-2010, 12:35 AM
When TJ was in Cincy and a #2 he was great ! I had him on my FF team for like 4-5 years in a row and he was a big producer. He never did squat once he left Cincy though.

Being a great #2 doesn't always mean you can be a great #1 :/

Kind reminds me of another player who was a great #2 got a big contract and become a crappy #1. What was his name ? Ohh yeah It was Peerless Price. hehe

Philagape
09-04-2010, 12:48 AM
At something like $1 million, if you can get TJ for that, he is incredibly efficient.

That's a good deal. I'd sign him in a heartbeat for that.

Low-risk, that's all I stipulated in the first place.

Midwesternbillsfan
09-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Houshmandzadeh didn't just get cut because his value as a player wasn't commensurate to his value ($$$) that he was being paid as a player; he also didn't fit Jeremy Bates' offense, which is a very vertical offense and demands speed (which mostly explains why Deion Branch, another aging and expensive wideout, stuck around). Houshmandzadeh is still an effective possession receiver, but he's never been more than a very periodic deep threat. I expect that he'll find a home and maintain a reasonable level of productivity for whomever signs him for an average-sized deal (probably Minnesota or Washington; I'm not sure Buffalo will even give him a look, given our concerted youth movement- though we did sign Cornell Green, I guess).

Mad Max
09-04-2010, 02:30 AM
No thanks.

He's at the end of his career. We need guys who will help us going forward not just this season. Let's use this time to develop some of the guys we have. Jackson, Nelson, Hardy, Johnson. At least two of these guys if they're given a chance are going to be good, AND, young, and therefore ready when this team is ready to do some real damage.

Look no further than recent bigger name signings like Mitchell, TO, Stroud. What have they ultimately done for us? We didn't win with them. AND we didn't develop other younger guys because of them.

Buffalogic
09-04-2010, 05:10 AM
He would be great for us but he'd be great for a lot of teams.

SF
Wash
Min
Oak
Chi

They probably will go after him hard.

Luisito23
09-04-2010, 07:12 AM
We won't get him, but really, how would a 2 or 3 year deal really hurt this team...He's clearly the 2nd. best receiver on this team, so why not try to give Edwards another reliable weapon?

NOT THE DUDE...
09-04-2010, 08:33 AM
i say bring him in, nothing to lose... he can be our number 2 and bump steve johnson to a more reasonable number 4 and then david nelson to 5....

HHURRICANE
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
No thanks.

He's at the end of his career.

So was James Lofton.

After watching how bad our WR depth is, we need this guy.

mikemac2001
09-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd sign him
Even though he said I looked like a hippy (true story)

Then we can have Marshawn on sideline doing that fantasy fball commercial messing his name up

ratso
09-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Pete Caroll will be showing the world today why he should be a college coach. Some bug up his can for a kid no one wanted that he coached in college. If we can pay the minimum and make Seattle pick up the rest of the tab, this is still a steal even if he is average and we have to pay the rest of the contract. Averaging the rst of his salry for the next three years u still come out ahead. no brainer.