PDA

View Full Version : Bills add 2 to Practice Squad and a very interesting end to the Article!

bigbub2352
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Bills add 2 to Practice Squad

and claim to have6 spots filled one of them a RB..contrary to reports out of WIVB about Bell in TB they claim we have him still interesting.....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-add-pair-to-practice-squad/95bc3b21-6e70-49f0-a3b2-cb07d3f779c3

Ilike these 2 pickups we keep adding size players instead of tweeners

Ebenezer
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
WR Paul Hubbard and LB John Russell.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Hubbard blows. Saw some of him in 2008. Was shocked then that Cleveland even bothered putting him on the PS back then.

He's a guy who won't contribute anything.

But it's only the PS so it doesn't really matter who goes there.

bigbub2352
09-06-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Two-more-added-to-the-practice-squad/8081873

Jan Reimers
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I think the Bell rumor is BS.

Beebe's Kid
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hubbard blows. Saw some of him in 2008. Was shocked then that Cleveland even bothered putting him on the PS back then.

He's a guy who won't contribute anything.

But it's only the PS so it doesn't really matter who goes there.

Everybody blows... We tried like hell to lock up Larry Fitzgerald for the PS, but surprise, surprise...another failure by this FO when will they get anything right!?!?

Bell listed on the PS is part on an intricate conspiracy, destroy any message containing that bad information. He has signed with TB for 75 million for 2 years, we will rue the day this guy got away...if he did...we don't really know.

bigbub2352
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I have to agree this article was written well after i seen it reported on WIVB channel 4 news locally here in buffalo and they would have confirmed i think right in this article if it were true

YardRat
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
280 lbs? Is that John Russell's weight, or JaMarcus'?

John Doe
09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
It looks like teams were looking to develop Russel at a number of positions. His versatility is perfect for the Practice Squad - he can give the scout team lot of different "looks."

Q: Rumor has it you recently worked out as a DE, DT, LB, TE, and FB. This not only shows your versatility, but gives you a little added value and exposure as an athlete. Was this something you were a bit surprised about or was this something discussed prior to the workout?
A: I had been told from a few teams that they wanted to look at me as an H-back or fullback. They also talked to me about playing around the 260 range for those positions. Mostly teams have talked about me playing my natural position which is DE/DT. Coming in I was a bit surprise they made me do the actual drills, but it was a great experience and opportunity. I got a chance to catch a few passes despite dropping two of them, but I did have a great catch along the sideline. The drills were a bit challenging because they were all new to me, but as the drills progressed I begin to get a better feel for what I was doing. The scouts told me they liked the way I adapted simply because my first rep was always better than the second one. I think that’s what a few teams will be looking for flexibility and comprehension. I feel like I was able to do that well.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2010/08/03/chiefs-cut-andrew-lewis-sign-lb-john-russel/

Buddo
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
280 lbs? Is that John Russell's weight, or JaMarcus'?

I'd guess it's John's. Jamarcus is probably twice that now. ;)

FWIW, the original article from bb.com, says that Russell is a former college DT, making the switch to LB.

Beebe's Kid
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM

I checked the Bucs board, just to see what was being said...

The conspiracy is deeper than we thought.

It alleges the Bucs put a claim on RB:
Kregg Lumpkin

There are several comments by the professional talent evaluators, and all seem to agree, "This guy sucks." They were hoping we would cut CJ and they could pluck him off the wire. This proves we aren't the only fans that complain about every little move, even one as important as PS RB.

There was one fan insistent that they should have grabbed Bell, our "Diamond in the Rough," on the our beloved Buffalo Bills. He made several good points, including: "The guy can rip off 20yd runs."

At first glance, Bell is safe, and we have pulled a fast one on the rest of the league, but look closer... Who would be named Kregg Lumpkin? That, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is a fictitious name.

What is really happening here? Did we trade Lynch, who is going by "Kregg Lumpkin" to avoid outstanding warrants on his trip to Florida? Who do you think we got in return? Maybe there was a third team involved? Speculation?

I think we probably got ____________. Either way he's no good, a career hack, a bum, he'll never do anything, etc etc.

Interesting how, even on Labor Day the Bills are working hard to **** our lives.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Everybody blows... We tried like hell to lock up Larry Fitzgerald for the PS, but surprise, surprise...another failure by this FO when will they get anything right!?!?

Bell listed on the PS is part on an intricate conspiracy, destroy any message containing that bad information. He has signed with TB for 75 million for 2 years, we will rue the day this guy got away...if he did...we don't really know.

Way to interject some sarcasm...it was very needed and added a lot to the discussion.

The PS should be for players you can develop or think you can develop, at least I thought that was the point of it. Paul Hubbard is someone who will never develop into anything passed grocery bagger.

It's a shame about not adding Larry Fitzgerald to the PS, he may become big in a year or two.

If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion, don't bother. It's good to see you get thanked for being a sarcastic schmuck in favor of someone who's actually seen Hubbard play...or attempt to play though.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I checked the Bucs board, just to see what was being said...

The conspiracy is deeper than we thought.

It alleges the Bucs put a claim on RB:
Kregg Lumpkin

There are several comments by the professional talent evaluators, and all seem to agree, "This guy sucks." They were hoping we would cut CJ and they could pluck him off the wire. This proves we aren't the only fans that complain about every little move, even one as important as PS RB.

There was one fan insistent that they should have grabbed Bell, our "Diamond in the Rough," on the our beloved Buffalo Bills. He made several good points, including: "The guy can rip off 20yd runs."

At first glance, Bell is safe, and we have pulled a fast one on the rest of the league, but look closer... Who would be named Kregg Lumpkin? That, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is a fictitious name.

What is really happening here? Did we trade Lynch, who is going by "Kregg Lumpkin" to avoid outstanding warrants on his trip to Florida? Who do you think we got in return? Maybe there was a third team involved? Speculation?

I think we probably got ____________. Either way he's no good, a career hack, a bum, he'll never do anything, etc etc.

Interesting how, even on Labor Day the Bills are working hard to **** our lives.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34567/Kregg_Lumpkin

mayotm
09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Way to interject some sarcasm...it was very needed and added a lot to the discussion.

The PS should be for players you can develop or think you can develop, at least I thought that was the point of it. Paul Hubbard is someone who will never develop into anything passed grocery bagger.

It's a shame about not adding Larry Fitzgerald to the PS, he may become big in a year or two.

If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion, don't bother. It's good to see you get thanked for being a sarcastic schmuck in favor of someone who's actually seen Hubbard play...or attempt to play though.Is sarcasm really any worse than your constant negativity?

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Is sarcasm really any worse than your constant negativity?

Reality can be a real pain in the ass can't it?

Put it this way...we released a WR that looks like Jerry Rice in comparison to Paul Hubbard. He had size too!

I may have over exaggerated James Hardys' skills there, but he is a much more talented player than Paul Hubbard.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
It's good to see you get thanked for being a sarcastic schmuck
Actually, I tried to give him full rep points, but I need to spread some around first. I thought his last 2 posts in this thread were hilarious.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Actually, I tried to give him full rep points, but I need to spread some around first. I thought his last 2 posts in this thread were hilarious.

I'll stop being realistic and just post sarcastic garbage from now on so I can get fake internets rep too then!

Because, I totally care about it.

My bad for trying to have realistic discussion about players and expectations of them, I now know that half of the board doesn't give a damn about that crap because that's not rainbows and puppy dogs.

So the Bills are gonna go 10-6, make the playoffs and hell, why not, they'll make the SB a tough exciting contest...Paul Hubbard will develop into a diamond in the rough making Lee Evans expendable and catch the SB winning TD from Brian Brohm as time runs out.

X-Era
09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Watch this on Hubbard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQMK6eMqyno&feature=fvw

John Doe
09-06-2010, 01:28 PM

There was a good article on Yahoo Sports yesterday about the practice squad.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Scrubs-Not-so-fast-practice-squad-players-g?urn=nfl-267513

...are responsible for simulating opposing players for the next week's game. If you see a guy on the field with the normal shorts and shells, and a mesh pullover with a jersey number that isn't his, that's a practice squad player.

"You can't play the depth chart game, the roster game," Miami Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mia/) running back Lex Hilliard (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8981/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8981/news) told the Flathead Beacon (http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/hilliard_rises_from_practice_squad_to_nfl_backup/16610/) in March of this year. "If you try to do that it, will drive you nuts. You just go out and play."Hilliard spent his first full NFL season on Miami's practice squad after being selected in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL draft. "I prided myself in going out there and making the first-string guys better."

And that's what practice squad guys have to do - make the first-teamers better. If they do it well enough, and long enough, they might get a bump themselves.

Hubbard may have limited upside - I don't really know. His main job on the practice squad is to help the team practice.

mayotm
09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Reality can be a real pain in the ass can't it?

Put it this way...we released a WR that looks like Jerry Rice in comparison to Paul Hubbard. He had size too!

I may have over exaggerated James Hardys' skills there, but he is a much more talented player than Paul Hubbard.I don't really give a crap about Paul Hubbard. Your posts in general are overly negative. Oh I know, you're a "realist".

Jan Reimers
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll stop being realistic and just post sarcastic garbage from now on so I can get fake internets rep too then!

My bad for trying to have realistic discussion about players and expectations of them, I now know that half of the board doesn't give a damn about that crap because that's not rainbows and puppy dogs.

So the Bills are gonna go 10-6, make the playoffs and hell, why not, they'll make the SB a tough exciting contest...Paul Hubbard will develop into a diamond in the rough making Lee Evans expendable and catch the SB winning TD from Brian Brohm as time runs out.
Sometimes it's nice to stop trying to cram our opinions down everyone elses' throats, and have a little fun.

And I really don't consider a realistic football discussion to begin with "Hubbard blows," and then to tell us how badly he sucks without offering any specifics. Is it speed, route running, hands, lack of athleticism or what? Blanket statements that someone blows, with no further explanation, don't really form a basis for discussion, but sure are good fodder for sarcastic retorts.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't really give a crap about Paul Hubbard. Your posts in general are overly negative. Oh I know, you're a "realist".

Show me one post that's been negative and not come into fruition.

Sure the posts are negative. This is a predominantly bad football team that lacks talent in major areas that for the most part the past decade has had extremely poor player personnel decisions, both through the draft and FA.

On top of the fact right now they're going through a complete rebuild.

I don't see why people can't have realistic expectation of where the team is headed.

Is it better to have your head in the sand and think this is a playoff team than think this is a top 5 draft pick team?

X-Era
09-06-2010, 01:44 PM
On John Russell:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/565076

better days

Please do. That will make for much more entertaining posts from you.

mayotm

Sure the posts are negative. This is a predominantly bad football team that lacks talent in major areas that for the most part the past decade has had extremely poor player personnel decisions, both through the draft and FA.

I don't see why people can't have realistic expectation of where the team is headed.

Is it better to have your head in the sand and think this is a playoff team than think this is a top 5 draft pick team?Right. Everybody that doesn't share your pissy disposition has their head in the sand.

X-Era
09-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Is it better to have your head in the sand and think this is a playoff team than think this is a top 5 draft pick team?

Only comment I will make is that it isn't like were starting the guy. We signed him to the practice squad. Your comments apply more to the team and not one guy we signed to the practice squad.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Sometimes it's nice to stop trying to cram our opinions down everyone elses' throats, and have a little fun.

And I really don't consider a realistic football discussion to begin with "Hubbard blows," and then to tell us how badly he sucks without offering any specifics. Is it speed, route running, hands, lack of athleticism or what? Blanket statements that someone blows, with no further explanation, don't really form a basis for discussion, but sure are good fodder for sarcastic retorts.

Alright here you go...

He's been on 3 different teams now since 2008, if that doesn't tell you something, I dunno what does. He caught 0 passes this past preseason with the Raiders. Caught 1 pass in 2009 with the Browns in preseason. He did have a whopping 5 catches with Cleveland in the 2008 preseason though!

His skill is so legendary that he got beat out for a roster spot in Cleveland by guys like Syndric Steptoe and Steve Sanders. Have you heard of them? Didn't think so.

He's another big guy who's slow and doesn't use his size to his advantage...sound familiar? Yeah, we just dumped one of those guys.

The difference between Hubbard and Hardy? Hubbard was a 6th round pick so there was no urgency for him to be allowed to see the field during meaningful football.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Right. Everybody that doesn't share your pissy disposition has their head in the sand.

If you think this is a team that's built to compete this year, you certainly have your head in the sand.

better days
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Alright here you go...

He's been on 3 different teams now since 2008, if that doesn't tell you something, I dunno what does. He caught 0 passes this past preseason with the Raiders. Caught 1 pass in 2009 with the Browns in preseason. He did have a whopping 5 catches with Cleveland in the 2008 preseason though!

His skill is so legendary that he got beat out for a roster spot in Cleveland by guys like Syndric Steptoe and Steve Sanders. Have you heard of them? Didn't think so.

He's another big guy who's slow and doesn't use his size to his advantage...sound familiar? Yeah, we just dumped one of those guys.

The difference between Hubbard and Hardy? Hubbard was a 6th round pick so there was no urgency for him to be allowed to see the field during meaningful football.

Come on now, that was not sarcastic at all. I know you can do better.

mayotm
09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
If you think this is a team that's built to compete this year, you certainly have your head in the sand.Find a post where I've stated that they were. Unlike you, I don't feel it's my role on this board to shoot down everybody that shows a hint of excitement about the team. For the first time in years, the Bills at least looked somewhat competent on offense during the pre-season. I don't know if it will carry over into the regular season, but it's given me some hope. I'm well aware of the team's shortcomings on paper. That stated, I will go into every season with some hope. The day that I don't, I'll stop watching. I mean, what's the point? I'll leave all the negativity to you and others.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Come on now, that was not sarcastic at all. I know you can do better.

I dunno, I'm sick of the mediocrity this team brings in and gives chances to.

I honestly do not see the point of bringing in bums of the street, even if it's for the PS, like Hubbard.

Honestly, I'd rather see Levi Brown on the PS. He may end up being a bum but he was our bum to begin with and he may develop some day.

He's still an unknown quantity with little NFL experience unlike a guy who's had 3 preseasons, a team that played WR shuffle while he was there in Cleveland and couldn't crack the active roster and the Oakland Raiders who waste top 10 picks on guys like Heyward-Bey.

Basically my point is a guy like Brown may develop, not that it is likely but it is possible, a guy like Hubbard will never develop. It's a pointless add, especially when we already have Roosevelt on the PS anyways.

better days
09-06-2010, 02:13 PM

I honestly do not see the point of bringing in bums of the street, even if it's for the PS, like Hubbard.

Honestly, I'd rather see Levi Brown on the PS. He may end up being a bum but he was our bum to begin with and he may develop some day.

He's still an unknown quantity with little NFL experience unlike a guy who's had 3 preseasons, a team that played WR shuffle while he was there in Cleveland and couldn't crack the active roster and the Oakland Raiders who waste top 10 picks on guys like Heyward-Bey.

Basically my point is a guy like Brown may develop, not that it is likely but it is possible, a guy like Hubbard will never develop. It's a pointless add, especially when we already have Roosevelt on the PS anyways.

Now that was a great post. You often make good points, but I think you would be a happier person if you looked on the bright side once in a while. Better days are coming.

X-Era
09-06-2010, 02:14 PM

If your right he will end up being cut. Nix/Gailey doesn't have an eye for whether a guy can play or not?

Actually, I think the opposite. They finally are acting like football guys with good football minds.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
If your right he will end up being cut. Nix/Gailey doesn't have an eye for whether a guy can play or not?

Actually, I think the opposite. They finally are acting like football guys with good football minds.

It's wasting the spot though, in my opinion. It's just more of the same from the previous regimes. Is Cleveland's and Oakland's front office just completely stupid and missed what Hubbard brings to the table and somehow he'll develop into a contributor here? No.

Neither of those teams have deep WR corps. If Hubbard had anything to add he wouldn't have been put on the PS and then subsequently cut by both teams.

See that's the difference here...you already know what you got when you bring in some other teams bum, he has a track record at this level...when you have a guy like Levi Brown you don't really know what he has at this point.

An unknown quantity is always better than a complete bum...at least in that moment, long term it most likely will be a wash.

However I can guarantee you next year at this time Hubbard won't be here, he'll either be out of the NFL or waste away on some other teams PS.

Like I said, I'd rather bring in a guy that may develop, not someone who's had his chance and shown he can't do it.

I guess that's from years of frustration at watching guys like McCargo still be here after they should have been cut long ago.

Mr. Pink
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Find a post where I've stated that they were. Unlike you, I don't feel it's my role on this board to shoot down everybody that shows a hint of excitement about the team. For the first time in years, the Bills at least looked somewhat competent on offense during the pre-season. I don't know if it will carry over into the regular season, but it's given me some hope. I'm well aware of the team's shortcomings on paper. That stated, I will go into every season with some hope. The day that I don't, I'll stop watching. I mean, what's the point? I'll leave all the negativity to you and others.

I'd rather the team commit to building a winner over just having false hope that they will be a winner.

psubills62
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM

If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion, don't bother. It's good to see you get thanked for being a sarcastic schmuck in favor of someone who's actually seen Hubbard play...or attempt to play though.

You are busting someone's chops about being sarcastic and not adding anything to a discussion?

:spit: