PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards - Comeback Player of the Year

billsburgh
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
that's my prediciton. Chan Gailey seems to have Trent back on the path to being a NFL level QB. Last year he was benched and pretty much given up for dead as a QB. This preseason, he has looked like pre concussion Trent. I have a feeling this will carry over into the regular season.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
that's my prediciton. Chan Gailey seems to have Trent back on the path to being a NFL level QB. Last year he was benched and pretty much given up for dead as a QB. This preseason, he has looked like pre concussion Trent. I have a feeling this will carry over into the regular season.
You have to have been somewhere to come back.

BuffaloBlitz83
Cheers to that! I do think Trent will have his best season as a pro.

Many of us forget, how well Trent played that season we started 3-0, before the concussion. Protect Trent, and let him do his job

trapezeus
i hope you are right. based on the bills defense, we need players hitting on all cylinders on the offense. they showed some promise. let's just hope everyone stays healthy.

i think if they all stay healthy, they could very well be in contention for a playoff berth. if they get injured anywhere, i think the team is woefully depleted of capable backups in multiple positions.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Were you a Losmanite?

SABuffalo786
09-07-2010, 10:08 AM

As short as his "peak" was 2 years ago, Trent was on ****** FIRE. We're talking early season MVP talk.

He's a thouroughly underwhelming QB overall, but you can't discount how good he was for those first 6 weeks of that year.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Were you a Losmanite?
I wanted him to succeed like any other Bills fan. When he proved he wasn't good enough I moved on.

Not sure what that has to do with Trent. Are you telling me that Trent has actually done something of note to be labeled a "Comeback player of the year" if he were to have a decent season?

That term is used for notable NFL players who were high producers and either got injured or fell of the map and then came back and produced at a high level again. Not sure how it applies to Trent.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 10:12 AM
As short as his "peak" was 2 years ago, Trent was on ****** FIRE. We're talking early season MVP talk.

He's a thouroughly underwhelming QB overall, but you can't discount how good he was for those first 6 weeks of that year.
I don't agree with that. I think the team did well and he was efficient for that stretch. He did nothing out of this world to get us to 5-1 in 08. He made basic throws all over the field and defenses were both not good and ill-informed on him.

Once the book was out on how to defend him he couldn't adapt and make the throws to beat the defenses he was presented with.

Night Train
09-07-2010, 10:20 AM
It's 2-1 that Trent even stays upright until November.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Trent has struggled with different OCs, OC's fighting the head coach, a dumbed down offense that I could predict every play on, a bad o-line, the firing of the OC and the LT the week before the season starts, etc., etc., etc.

With that said he now has the support of the coaching staff and team. It's upon him to make the most of it.

Gailey has perfromed miracles with alot less QB talent in the NFL than Edwards. I think one of the reasons he was hired was because he probably looked at the film and told the ownership that he could work with this guy.

I expect a different Edwards or the top QB in next year's draft class.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
One more point. Trent gets alot of crap for that Cleveland game but the reality is that he was struggling and the OC could have made other play calls and he didn't. I think Gailey is smart enough to know when a player needs a break or some help.

People act like Kelly never had a crapy game but he had a bunch. Sometimes the QB needs to be coached differently when he's struggling.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
If Trent plays good this year it would be great, as drafting a QB generally takes 2-4 years to develop

TacklingDummy
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
To be Comeback Player of The Year doesn't that player have to be hurt or something the previous year? I'm not sure sucking qualifies.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
To be Comeback Player of The Year doesn't that player have to be hurt or something the previous year? I'm not sure sucking qualifies.

Most improved player is better for Trent to aim for

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Most improved player is better for Trent to aim for
I think you get a ribbon for that.

better days
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Were you a Losmanite?

Even if he was a fan of Losman, that does not make his post any less valid.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Even if he was a fan of Losman, that does not make his post any less valid.

Seems like a lot of JP fans, wanted Trent to fail from start till now, due to fact he was next in line after Losman. Feels like hoew say if you are a Republican and Obama is president and you want him to fail, even though if he succeeds it is good for the country and in Trent the Bills.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Seems like a lot of JP fans, wanted Trent to fail from start till now, due to fact he was next in line after Losman. Feels like hoew say if you are a Republican and Obama is president and you want him to fail, even though if he succeeds it is good for the country and in Trent the Bills.
I definitely didn't want Trent to fail because he came after Losman. I was thrilled that we got a guy who knew where his checkdowns were and had some accuracy.

I just lost faith in him when I noticed he avoids throwing in certain areas of the field. When I see him make those throws I'll get right back on the bandwagon.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I definitely didn't want Trent to fail because he came after Losman. I was thrilled that we got a guy who knew where his checkdowns were and had some accuracy.

I just lost faith in him when I noticed he avoids throwing in certain areas of the field. When I see him make those throws I'll get right back on the bandwagon.

Cool me too. I was asking for Brohm last year. But when I saw Trent this preseason, I've been surprised. He has hit deep passes multiple times and also taken a few more and misfired. Last year, he wasn't doing that.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
One more point. Trent gets alot of crap for that Cleveland game but the reality is that he was struggling and the OC could have made other play calls and he didn't. I think Gailey is smart enough to know when a player needs a break or some help.

People act like Kelly never had a crapy game but he had a bunch. Sometimes the QB needs to be coached differently when he's struggling.You see... That's my problem... His cionfidence, while OK at the moment, is very fragile. When things are going well (Chargers game for example), he looks great. But when things go bad... His confidence has spiraled out of control at an alarming rate... And he stays bottomed out forever it seems. I'm not all that sure it has anything to do with concussions... I'm hoping, for the sake of Bills fans, that it's not something deeply engrained in his mind.

justasportsfan
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I thought HH didn't make excuses for trent. Sounds like he's full of it.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Cool me too. I was asking for Brohm last year. But when I saw Trent this preseason, I've been surprised. He has hit deep passes multiple times and also taken a few more and misfired. Last year, he wasn't doing that.
See, my problem with Trent is not the lack of deep balls. He can hit a 40 and 50 yarder. My problem with him is everything in between.

He still shes away from the 15-30 yard throws. Post routes and Crossing patters over the middle. Defenses will not respect him until he makes them pay for crowding the short areas they know he likes.

DCs found out that to beat Trent you crowd the short areas with LBs and take away Evans deep. He will have to beat that by throwing over the LBs and in front of the safeties. That requires making certain throws that he has yet to make in his career.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
You see... That's my problem... His cionfidence, while OK at the moment, is very fragile. When things are going well (Chargers game for example), he looks great. But when things go bad... His confidence has spiraled out of control at an alarming rate... And he stays bottomed out forever it seems. I'm not all that sure it has anything to do with concussions... I'm hoping, for the sake of Bills fans, that it's not something deeply engrained in his mind.

Marty Shottenheimer said something great the other day on the radio. He said any coach that is coaching for his job has already lost his team.

If you are Edwards you couldn't have been feeling good having the infighting on the OC scheme and knowing you HC doesn't have your back and is dead man walking.

I don't think Edwards confidence was ever that rattled.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
While that could possibly account for last season... I don't think it answers questions from post Chargers in '08.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
But... Once again... I hope I'm wrong.

better days
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
But... Once again... I hope I'm wrong.

Any Bills fan that doesn't want Trent to play well is an idiot, but I think most of us still have reservations about him.

Can he stay healthy? Can he make the throws? Can he play well against 3-4 defenses? If he can do ALL this I think the Bills make the playoffs.

Extremebillsfan247
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
that's my prediciton. Chan Gailey seems to have Trent back on the path to being a NFL level QB. Last year he was benched and pretty much given up for dead as a QB. This preseason, he has looked like pre concussion Trent. I have a feeling this will carry over into the regular season.Don't you think your jumping the gun a little bit here? We don't really know how good or bad this season will actually be, or more importantly whether Trent can stay healthy long enough to matter. Everything up to now has been based primarily on assumption. There is an old saying that is relevant in this case, " Assumption is the mother of all mess ups". Or at least that is the PG version... lol Now, I'm not going to say that it can't happen, but assuming it will based on his preseason performance wouldn't be the wisest of decisions in my opinion..

Beebe's Kid
09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Don't you think your jumping the gun a little bit here? We don't really know how good or bad this season will actually be, or more importantly whether Trent can stay healthy long enough to matter. Everything up to now has been based primarily on assumption. There is an old saying that is relevant in this case, " Assumption is the mother of all mess ups". Or at least that is the PG version... lol Now, I'm not going to say that it can't happen, but assuming it will based on his preseason performance wouldn't be the wisest of decisions in my opinion..

I think it being his prediction kind of requires he "jumps the gun." A prediction with a half of season of performance is not really a prediction, but rather a judgment.

Trent was every bit as good as Wonderboys; Sanchez and Henne his rookie year. They are in a dead heat for the "Second Coming," so why would TE be considered for CBPOY if he performs?

Nublar7
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Trent has nothing to "comeback" to. He has sucked his entire career, so if he played well it would just be a "breakout" year. Can't be comeback player of the year, when you never were anything to begin with.

Extremebillsfan247
09-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I think it being his prediction kind of requires he "jumps the gun." A prediction with a half of season of performance is not really a prediction, but rather a judgment.

Trent was every bit as good as Wonderboys; Sanchez and Henne his rookie year. They are in a dead heat for the "Second Coming," so why would TE be considered for CBPOY if he performs? Actually, a prediction is a guess at what you think will happen, and not what you hope will happen. There is a pretty stark difference between the 2.

acehole
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Wait wait wait.....in order for you to "comeback" you have to have gone somewhere first? Where did he come from and what has he done?

Romes
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/538391/skeptical-hippo-1.jpg

billsburgh
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I'll be the first to say, what the **** was I thinking when I started this thread. Same old Trentative and same old Bills

Historian
09-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I'll be the first to say, what the **** was I thinking when I started this thread.

The same thing we all were thinking....An offensive minded HC just may be able to resurrect his career.

Not so.

My guess is that he's out of there before the end of the first quarter season.

kelly2reed4six
09-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll be the first to say, what the **** was I thinking when I started this thread. Same old Trentative and same old Bills

lol......I think it's like being in an abusive relationship.....the person just keeps promising they'll change, and they even show some signs of changing for a little while....but then they ALWAYS come back and beat the hell out of you!

ughhh......I'm worn out from this team....

better days
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
The same thing we all were thinking....An offensive minded HC just may be able to resurrect his career.

Not so.

God, I hope you are right.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
man, we missed on this one!

Oaf
09-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Good thing this wasn't a prediction.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2010, 07:52 PM
aahahahahahahahahahaha. TRENT BLOWS. always has, always will.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
And for this...

"...swing and a miss."

starrymessenger
09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe

billsburgh
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I dont think I could be any more wrong about Trent. there goes my credibility on a message board. what will I ever do with myself now?

starrymessenger
09-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Computor error. Try again. Maybe he can still be comeback player of the year...or maybe just queen for a day.

OpIv37
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
At least you are man enough to admit it. Don't worry- you are forgiven. It's easy to get caught up in the hype and forget how bad this team is immediately before the season starts.

better days
09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
At least you are man enough to admit it. Don't worry- you are forgiven. It's easy to get caught up in the hype and forget how bad this team is immediately before the season starts.

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people that are looking at their computer today & thinking to themselves "how could I have posted that?"

Hell Trent even had Chan fooled into thinking he could play until Chan saw him in two games.

Historian
09-22-2010, 05:53 AM

Not so.

Wow....how profound, huh?

:snicker: