PDA

View Full Version : Spiller Starting KR

homeslice5484
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
KR Depth Chart: Spiller, Jones, Lynch, McKelvin, Jackson
PR: Roscoe, Spiller, McKelvin

Lynch doing Kickoffs and Jones before McKelvin...they must really want McKelvin to focus on CB only and Jackson to focus on offense.

Beebe's Kid
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Spiller KR = Championship!!

Johnny Bugmenot
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Is that a risk they really want to take?

NOT THE DUDE...
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
DRAFTED THE BILLS IN MY FANTASY LEAGUE FOR SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpearl
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't worry about injuries. You put your best players in the best positions to succeed. And CJ is our best kick returner by far!

psubills62
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Maybe it's just me...but I just don't understand this fear that players are going to get injured on KR's and PR's. How often does that happen? Wouldn't people rather put the ball in the hands of their playmakers? Do injuries happen more often on kickoff returns than in normal gameplay?

Jan Reimers
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Maybe it's just me...but I just don't understand this fear that players are going to get injured on KR's and PR's. How often does that happen? Wouldn't people rather put the ball in the hands of their playmakers? Do injuries happen more often on kickoff returns than in normal gameplay?
I'm kind of torn between wanting to see the big, game-changing return, and the risk of injury. But there probably is at least an equal injury risk every time an RB runs the ball from the line of scrimmage.

psubills62
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm kind of torn between wanting to see the big, game-changing return, and the risk of injury. But there probably is at least an equal injury risk every time an RB runs the ball from the line of scrimmage.

Right. Granted, on kick returns the players usually meet each other with a lot more momentum than on normal running plays. But the "worrying about injuries" part just never really got to me. You play the game to win, and if Spiller gives us the best chance for field position in the kick return game...go with him.

ublinkwescore
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

good point, also consider that spiller is at his best when given a little space - well what better way to get him the ball in open space than to have him return kicks?

Jan Reimers
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Also, Gailey doesn't seem too concerned about injuries. To him, it's a tough game played by tough guys, and injuries are just part of it.

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I think the risk of injury is higher because of the speed the defending team builds up on the way to the ball carrier.

I would rather not see Spiller on KR.

OpIv37
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM

I think a kick return is much more likely to result in an injury than a typical carry by an RB, due to the speed of the players running at each other. However, there might be 4 or 5 returns for each team during a game, some of which are touchbacks, versus 25+ running plays. So when the additional attempts are factored in, he's probably no more or less likely to get hurt returning a kick than on a play from scrimmage.

However, I am afraid that they are going to wear him out. Hopefully the coaches won't be shy about putting in Lynch or Jackson. And hopefully they aren't stupid about only using certain personnel for certain plays like previous coaches who shall not be named.

psubills62
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I think the risk of injury is higher because of the speed the defending team builds up on the way to the ball carrier.

I would rather not see Spiller on KR.

Your point makes sense, but 1) I think Spiller is good enough to not run into people coming at him full speed, and 2) it doesn't seem like players tend to get more injured on KR and PR than in normal gameplay. I think the blockers are more apt to get injured than the return man. They're actually trying to run into those guys, whereas Spiller would be avoiding them.

wmoz11
09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
You don't draft a guy like Spiller that early and then play him in a traditional RB role. He's not going to get enough carries, a la Ryan Matthews, to live up to his draft status. He needs to be utilized extensively in the passing game and in the return game.

madness
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
No way I'm going to keep the NCAA record holder off the field during KR's.

stuckincincy
09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
good point, also consider that spiller is at his best when given a little space -

That's the thing. Will he get space as a rb in the NFL?

I really don't want to see him as a starting rb quite yet. Perhaps 4 or 5 games into the season.

Several reasons...

Mahdi
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
That's the thing. Will he get space as a rb in the NFL?

I really don't want to see him as a starting rb quite yet. Perhaps 4 or 5 games into the season.

Several reasons...
If he is our best RB he needs to start right away. Spiller makes plays that Fred and Lynch can't make. Limiting Spiller = limiting the opportunities to score TDs.

Buffalo Thriller
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Spiller is the starting RB period right? i saw that he is before lynch and jackson on the depth chart? private message me if you know

Eventually
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Will be interesting to see...wondering if the poor ST showing in PS had any part in this decision seeing CJ wasn't back there at any time in that capacity during PS

New Ro's Greatest
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Lynch shouldn't even be on that KR list lol. GO BILLS:refuse:

Luisito23
09-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Can't wait!!!

Night Train
09-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Deion Sanders, who played CB,KR,PR & WR says hi.