• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

What may have happened with Brown

Ive got a theory on this.

What if Gailey looked at the QB's and simply realized Brown needs the most development and that he doesn't want to wait that long.

I mean Gailey has a limited amount of time to build a winner here. He probably knows that they could easily finish the year with a poor record. That means a high draft pick in next years draft. Theoretically, you have a better shot at a franchise QB, the higher you pick. And recent history has shown you can win early with a high round QB depending on the situation.

So, at that point he has to decide whether he wants to invest the time and effort into a guy who could take years to develop knowing they are likely to be picking high and that they may be drafting a developmental QB anyway. He only has 3 spots for QB's on gameday.

And, this year, he's got a vet backup in Fitz that he wants to keep, a starter who is showing signs of life in Trent. That leaves one last spot to develop a QB. If you want to develop one as quick as possible, and its between Brohm and Brown, Brohm is more developed at this point.

Brown lost out because he has too far to develop, Brohm is closer, and we could be in a spot to draft a franchise type QB in next years draft.

• Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: What may have happened with Brown

Originally posted by X-Era
    I mean Gailey has a limited amount of time to build a winner here.
    you mean RW told him to win now?? Like RW would ever do that.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TMu11
      • Mar 2010

It sounds like a plausible theory. I can buy it.
      Unfortunately a lot of QB's do NOT pan out as well. It would be a simpler bet to keep both developmental players in hopes of creating less chance of having a bust.
      After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

I just honestly think they were hoping to strike gold and/or light a fire under Edwards/Fitz/Brohm to step up.

He was a 7th Round pick, little to no investment, with no risk. I dont think there was a ton of thought put into it really.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          you mean RW told him to win now?? Like RW would ever do that.
          I think most owners want their team to win.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

I think Gailey has a free pass here in Buffalo.

Mainly because he's Ralph's kind of guy....old school....middle aged...etc.

If he gave Jauron 4 seasons, Gailey will have at least 5 or 6, especially if he has us over .500 by the third. (Which by all indications, seems plausable)

We may see Brown resigned if any one of the other 3 (most likely Edwards) needs to put on IR. (again, a real possibility given the history)

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

I think too much time and effort is being spent trying to figure out why a 7th round draft pick got cut. What did he show during TC and pre-season? He may have some raw long term potential, but nothing more. Far more players like Brown never make it versus the handful that do.
              Last edited by mayotm; 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                • Sep 2003

Stupid theory. How does having Brown on PS keep the Bills from winning now? So Chan decided Brohm has more upside. Get over it.

PTR
                10 Commandments of the D
                1. Never stop Rocking.
                2. Legalize all drugs.
                3. Quit your day job.
                4. All Religion should be taxed.
                5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                6. F**k her gently.
                7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• seanbillsfan
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Historian
                  I think Gailey has a free pass here in Buffalo.

Mainly because he's Ralph's kind of guy....old school....middle aged...etc.

If he gave Jauron 4 seasons, Gailey will have at least 5 or 6, especially if he has us over .500 by the third. (Which by all indications, seems plausable)

We may see Brown resigned if any one of the other 3 (most likely Edwards) needs to put on IR. (again, a real possibility given the history)
                  Ralph is 124 years old, he wants to win a superbowl. I think if we suck ass the next 2 seasons, and Ralph is still alive, chan would get the axe

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

My theory is Gailey probably felt he was such a bag of crap it wasn't worth the time.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Chan wants to win games. Brohm was clearly better than Brown for the #3 spot. I promise you that if Brown shown some ability he would have made the 53 man roster.

The guy struggled and he's not worth wasting a spot on the PS because we are not going to call up a 4th QB.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
                        Ive got a theory on this.

What if Gailey looked at the QB's and simply realized Brown needs the most development and that he doesn't want to wait that long.

I mean Gailey has a limited amount of time to build a winner here. He probably knows that they could easily finish the year with a poor record. That means a high draft pick in next years draft. Theoretically, you have a better shot at a franchise QB, the higher you pick. And recent history has shown you can win early with a high round QB depending on the situation.

So, at that point he has to decide whether he wants to invest the time and effort into a guy who could take years to develop knowing they are likely to be picking high and that they may be drafting a developmental QB anyway. He only has 3 spots for QB's on gameday.

And, this year, he's got a vet backup in Fitz that he wants to keep, a starter who is showing signs of life in Trent. That leaves one last spot to develop a QB. If you want to develop one as quick as possible, and its between Brohm and Brown, Brohm is more developed at this point.

Brown lost out because he has too far to develop, Brohm is closer, and we could be in a spot to draft a franchise type QB in next years draft.
                        I bet what happened is that he stunk and didn't make the team as a result. For every Tom Brady there are probably at least a dozen late round QBs who never attempt a regular season pass.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

as much as i'd like for brown to be developed, if edwards 4-6 week injury happened in week 2, would you feel better with brohm or brown as number 2 for an extended period? i would be very nervous for Levi to step in week 3 in new england.

I'd still be worried with brohm stepping in, but less so.

i think that's why the decision was made.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I share the same theory. Gailey didn't know what he had in the qb's he inherited when they drafted Brown. Now that he had a closer look at all 4 qb's it's obvious that Brohm is way ahead of Brown that its even close between Fitz and Brohm. Brohm is now the developmental qb.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

my theory is that Brown has always been viewed as a developmental QB who played at a small school and wasnt as ready as Brohm or Fitz...I really dont understand why people think there is anything behind this other than he wasnt as good of a QB as the other options on our team.

Comment

Working...
                              X