PDA

View Full Version : How Do People think were going to be THAT bad.

BillsOwnAll
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Now before all the haters start barking at me. I think its possible we make the playoffs and win the division. I also think its possible we go 6-10.

But all these writers "ranking" us 30, 31 and 32. How did we get that much worse. We did manage to win 6 games last year. We also fired our OC....a week before the season started...then hired out old backup QB to replace him....We had Dick Jauron who had what one winning season as a coach? We lost no major players...

Then all the writers LOVE Spiller...but somehow were going to be worse then the last 4 years. Am I Blind is this really a "worst in the league" team? FTW?

Philagape
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Now before all the haters start barking at me. I think its possible we make the playoffs and win the division. I also think its possible we go 6-10.

But all these writers "ranking" us 30, 31 and 32. How did we get that much worse. We did manage to win 6 games last year. We also fired our OC....a week before the season started...then hired out old backup QB to replace him....We had Dick Jauron who had what one winning season as a coach? We lost no major players...

Then all the writers LOVE Spiller...but somehow were going to be worse then the last 4 years. Am I Blind is this really a "worst in the league" team? FTW?

I agree with your general premise, but they did lose Owens. The offense is in dire need of a second legit receiving threat, but that may be offset by Spiller and Gailey.

But other than that, most of the reasons people are citing for their basement predictions were also true last year.

don137
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
A couple thoughts. Its easy to pick on the Bills when they have not made the playoffs in 10 years, never addressed the OL and QB position. The national media really does not pay attention and watch them and seen the improvement offensively this preseason. They have to pick somebody to finish at the bottom so due to the reasons above they are an easy target.

When the media talk about how electric Spiller looks this preseason it is ALWAYS followed by a BUT and then they list why Buffalo will not be any good.

I do think they they are a better team than last year and will suffer some growing pains on defense and special teams. I do think they will be better than the media thinks. Still too many holes cause by terrible draft picks thanks in large part to Jauron and Levy.

justasportsfan
09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
people are basing it on last year even though Dick is gone.

EDS
09-08-2010, 02:55 PM

When you say the Bills lost no major players, I think you may get some disagreement on that point, given the loss of Aaron Schobel (leading pass rusher) and TO (leading receiver).

SABuffalo786
09-08-2010, 02:56 PM
These Bills kind of feel like the 2008 Dolphins in that they were a BAD team (let's face it, given some of the performances last year, 6-10 was flattering) that brought in some good football people (Gailey/Nix to Miami's Parcells hire) and everyone was still ****ting on them prior to the season.

Not saying we're winning the division but don't be shocked if we aren't horrible.

BillsWin
09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Mediocre? Yes. God awful? No. The Bills will win more games this year than predicted.

better days
09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree with your general premise, but they did lose Owens. The offense is in dire need of a second legit receiving threat, but that may be offset by Spiller and Gailey.

But other than that, most of the reasons people are citing for their basement predictions were also true last year.

Don't forget about Parish. I think Chan will use the weapons he has unlike Dick.

PromoTheRobot
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Last year couldn't have been any worse with injuries and stupid coaching decisions and we still won 6. This year the team is heading in the right direction, and added a home run threat in CJ Spiller. Anyone who thinks we are the worst team in the NFL has his head firmly tucked in his colon.

PTR

Night Train
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
They might only win 4-5 games while the D struggles year 1 of a new staff.. but I'm thinking long term anyhow.

The last buffalo fan
09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Last year couldn't have been any worse with injuries and stupid coaching decisions and we still won 6. This year the team is heading in the right direction, and added a home run threat in CJ Spiller. Anyone who thinks we are the worst team in the NFL has his head firmly tucked in his colon.

PTR

Promo, I think I love you man, but in a no gay way! :beers:

The last buffalo fan
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
They might only win 4-5 games while the D struggles year 1 of a new staff.. but I'm thinking long term anyhow.

Good enough for my pride and for a 4th to 6th spot on next year's draft! :gobills:

big hock
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
The NFL is a "put up or shut up" league......the Bills have alot to prove these days.

I can't remember the last time that i was looking so forward to a new season for the Bills.

HHURRICANE
09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
The Bills start the season with almost the same oline probably playing better since we aren't cutting our LT 7 days prior to the opening kickoff. The fact that we have had 5 months having a real OC prepare us has to be a plus.

The secondary is better than last year. Our LBs and d-line will have their struggles but it will be better than the useless Schobel sack.

Schobel was so good that teams were lining up for him!

DynaPaul
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
It's funny on Sirius/XM they keep raving about the Lions saying how much improved they are and that they're gonna be a surprise team this year.

patmoran2006
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Here's your primary reasons.

1- A pair of offensive tackles; one of which is raw as can be the other a chewed up, journeyman who stinks.

2- A QB who has done little positive in games that COUNT since the Bills started off 4-0 a few seasons back.

3- A front seven that doesn't look too solid against the run.

4- LB's that struggle WOEFULLY in pass coverage.

Those are your primary reasons.

Philagape
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM

1- A pair of offensive tackles; one of which is raw as can be the other a chewed up, journeyman who stinks.

2- A QB who has done little positive in games that COUNT since the Bills started off 4-0 a few seasons back.

3- A front seven that doesn't look too solid against the run.

4- LB's that struggle WOEFULLY in pass coverage.

Those are your primary reasons.

All four were true last year too.

Extremebillsfan247
09-08-2010, 08:08 PM

When your lacking in in depth analysis of a current year, you focus on what has happened the previous year, try to add to it what was gained and lost personnel wise, and then compare that to the other teams in the division who you might have a better understanding of. That is why your seeing all these wide spread predictions of the Bills being at the bottom of the league. It is simply lack of actual research that brings most of them to that conclusion.

When it comes to main stream media, Buffalo is a lot like Seattle. We are in a place rarely noticed by the main stream, so they go on a hunch rather than actual physical data. That is why they are almost always wrong. JMO...

topher180
09-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Agree with all your points, but this is the most important by far. I know it's no newsflash, but I don't think it can be overstated that without a real QB we will always be grasping and mediocre. Period. That's why people make me laugh so much. Our QB core is one of the worst in the league.

ublinkwescore
09-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Our D will score us some points probably close to 8 weeks out of this season as well.

Our secondary is too good not to.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2010, 01:36 AM
the biggest loss we had was losing dick jauron but that was also the most positive thing that could have happened.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
All four were true last year too.
Only for half the year (because of the frequent injuries, which yet again appear to be happening)-- yet the current coaching staff has decided to put the same starters that got us into this mess back in the crucial QB and LT positions, the latter sight unseen. That, and this is a defense in transition from 4-3 to 3-4, which complicates matters even more.

JD
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM
:rofl:

EDS
12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
This is but one of many tragic posts by some good meaning, but otherwise deluded long suffering Bills fans.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Apparently you were blind.

Mindbender
12-09-2010, 02:53 PM
The power of hindsight.

hydro
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM

PTR

We are pretty damn close....

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2010, 03:24 PM
the bills are terrible

bf1
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
The power of hindsight.
The power of foresight after a decade of the sos.

OpIv37
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
The power of hindsight.
Hindsight? The reason he started this thread was because numerous posters-myself included- were predicting 5 wins or less. We knew the team sucked well before the season started. But we werent entirely correct- we were way too optimistic.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Hindsight? The reason he started this thread was because numerous posters-myself included- were predicting 5 wins or less. We knew the team sucked well before the season started. But we werent entirely correct- we were way too optimistic.

Come on my 3-13 prediction before the season was definitely done on hindsight man!

Philagape
12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I still think this year's team is better than last year's. This team would win a hypothetical game between the two. The offense is light years ahead of 2009.
The top two negative differences from last year are 1. the schedule, and 2. regression in the secondary, which most thought was the strength of last year's team. That could be at least partially blamed on the 3-4 transition, or it could just be that last year was a mirage.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I still think this year's team is better than last year's. This team would win a hypothetical game between the two. The offense is light years ahead of 2009.
The top two negative differences from last year are 1. the schedule, and 2. regression in the secondary, which most thought was the strength of last year's team. That could be at least partially blamed on the 3-4 transition, or it could just be that last year was a mirage.

The main difference between this year and last year is teams used to move the ball up and down the field against us but when they got in the red zone the defense would clamp down. This year they just roll over.

That and a lack of causing turnovers.

Nighthawk
12-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Surprisingly...not really, BOA has not been around to tell all of us how we are too negative.

Beebe's Kid
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Homer!! Where are your pom-poms now?? Did you lose them when you were looking for your Kool-Aid?

ServoBillieves
12-10-2010, 01:17 AM
This team can lose as many games as it wants from here on out, but I'm taking my beautiful girlfriend to her first NFL game. It may be between two of the most awful teams in the NFL, but she'll enjoy it hoping that the Browns get crushed. She's a Steeler fan, I ain't a fan of it, but we know we aren't going to the playoffs, Peyton Hillis thinks he's going to the Pro Bowl, let's play Spoiler here this weekend people

TMu11
12-10-2010, 05:13 AM
This team can lose as many games as it wants from here on out, but I'm taking my beautiful girlfriend to her first NFL game. It may be between two of the most awful teams in the NFL, but she'll enjoy it hoping that the Browns get crushed. She's a Steeler fan, I ain't a fan of it, but we know we aren't going to the playoffs, Peyton Hillis thinks he's going to the Pro Bowl, let's play Spoiler here this weekend people
Pic?

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Pic?

LOL! Stole my thought!

Is this her?:cher:

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 05:53 AM

We've been in too many games to think we aren't at that 5 win talent mark (and I know that 5 win talent should get 5 wins, but it doesn't always shake out that way). I would've like to have seen Fitz start from day one (something I didn't advocate in August)... maybe we beat Miami and have a little more cohesion heading into that six week competitive stretch that we just had. Or maybe that stretch starts earlier. Point being, you don't play four playoff teams to the wire and still rank in the bottom three teams in the league. Just like we weren't as good as the 7-9/6-10 records said we were in years past, we're not as bad as the 2-10 record says we are now.

EDS
12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
We've been in too many games to think we aren't at that 5 win talent mark (and I know that 5 win talent should get 5 wins, but it doesn't always shake out that way). I would've like to have seen Fitz start from day one (something I didn't advocate in August)... maybe we beat Miami and have a little more cohesion heading into that six week competitive stretch that we just had. Or maybe that stretch starts earlier. Point being, you don't play four playoff teams to the wire and still rank in the bottom three teams in the league. Just like we weren't as good as the 7-9/6-10 records said we were in years past, we're not as bad as the 2-10 record says we are now.

Is being a 5 win team really an accomplishment? Bottom line is that the Bills are far and away the easiest team in the league to run on and until that changes, wins will be scarce.

psubills62
12-10-2010, 08:29 AM
The main difference between this year and last year is teams used to move the ball up and down the field against us but when they got in the red zone the defense would clamp down. This year they just roll over.

That and a lack of causing turnovers.

Turnovers, period, have rarely been in our favor. Our offense/return game losing the ball on a number of occasions this year has been fairly significant.

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Is being a 5 win team really an accomplishment? Bottom line is that the Bills are far and away the easiest team in the league to run on and until that changes, wins will be scarce.

No, but it is a start. If we could go from 5, to 8, to 11 and then make a legit run then I'd look back at this 5 win season with fond memories as the start of something great. It is the first year of a new coach and new GM. It has to be tempered to an extent. Were we a bit overly optimistic in the beginning? Sure. We wanted to go from 7, to 10, to 13 and Super Bowl Champion. But it's just not that simple, and our hope outweighed our view of reality.

Agreed 100% about the run D.