PDA

View Full Version : The Chan Era

Eventually
09-09-2010, 01:06 AM
The Chan Era officially begins in 4 days.

The majority of football fans out there don't put much stock into Chan's initial season to be a productive one for the Buffalo Bills. I've seen national media outlets predicting anywhere from 0-16 to 8-8. A .500 season is the best I've seen, and really refuting any projections of 5 wins and up is a daunting task if you are viewing things logically. Personally I believe the Bills will be much closer to the 8-8 mark than near the 0-16 mark.

A friend of mine who happens to be a Cowboy fanatic asked me this question today, "How can you be so pumped up about a team that has an upside of a .500 season and the realistic outlook of a .250 team?"

It didn't take me long to answer him. It was a two-fold answer. First I said because it's football season and sure I want them to win, but even if they don't, their still the Bills and in this league you can have a good idea of what is going to happen, but really stranger things have happened. Then I said I'm looking forward to many things, particularly the play of the team, the growth the team shows throughout the year, how competitive they are.

And with that, in the initial season of the Chan Gailey Era, I can honestly say, for this season, I'm watching for the groundwork laid out for seasons to follow, while playing as a competitive unit for this season.

So far, the Offense has looked dramatically different than preseason teams from the past. I witnessed passion from these players, I've seen competent play calling, and efficient execution.

On defense I haven't seen much yet, but although preseason, a starting point has been developed, and now I want to see them get better continuously throughout the season.

The point of this post is really the general concepts included above but there are a few particular keys I'll be really watching.

QB- Does Trent take this team over, does he demand it, play with fire, be productive and stay healthy. Bottom line does he become a franchise QB, or simply make the 2011 first round pick an easy one.

TE- After returning from his suspension does Nelson show the promise we all, well many of us, believe he has in him. Can he stretch the field like the Really good receiving TE's in the league, does he grow in his protection. Do we have the TE of the future here or do we need to address it next year in FA or the draft.

OLINE- I actually really like and am sold on the interior already, would like to see or really hear about a young player stepping up and develop into a guard so Wood can move to Center, but if that doesn't happen I'm actually fine with them. The questions for me are, Can Bell hold up and produce, does he transform the LT position from a point of weakness to a point of strength? How long before Meredith takes over at RT? I believe that will happen sometime this year.

RB- Not spending much time here, but It should be fun watching this group this year.

WR- Can Steve Johnson become the hands down #2 receiver we need him to be? Or does he fall to the wayside? Does Roscoe become what so many thought he could always be, a dominant slot guy? How far does David Nelson progress this year. Personally I think this guy has IT and has moved up the depth chart so far, continuously improving? Wouldn't it be nice if he and Johnson both strive in this offense?

If they do we'll be in great shape for next year when Easley comes back.

On Defense it'll take much more patience IMO.

Secondary is solid so I won't discuss

D-line has question marks but none bigger IMO than how far Troupe can come along this season? Then the next is if Carrington can progress? How Stroud performs in a 3-4

LB's is our biggest weakness IMO though. I'm a big Poz fan, but he needs to take that D on his back this year and simply take games over. Not sure if He can, but we'll know soon enough. Davis looked good, and has looked good throughout his career. OLB poses the HUGE question on whether Maybin will be regarded BUST at the end of the year, or a guy that has shown us he's on his way to being a great OLB in the NFL.

Nevertheless these are some of the Big Keys I'll have fun watching this season.

Heck who knows, stranger things have happened for certain but if some of these question marks become exclamation points then the rebuild just got easier. Who to target in FA got easier, the draft would then allow to go OLB in the first. Notice I didn't put a question mark on Kelsey's side, IMO that side is just biding the year out until an upgrade can happen next year.

Thoughts? GO BILLS

TMu11
09-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Go BILLS!

X-Era
09-09-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm not changing my name to the title.

zone
09-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm not changing my name to the title.
You should.