PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy the season., lockout is looking pretty imminent

ddaryl
09-09-2010, 07:44 AM
This is a long article, but its pretty clear that this next CBA will be held up by players who don't want to relinquish any gains, and owners who over invested in there teams and are demanding re-imbursement.

Personally... the players need to give back a few % points in the revenue sharing deal, and owners that over extended themselves with huge stadiums need to be taught a lesson

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810

Which side is forcing the issue?
The owners, particularly a faction of aggressive, entrepreneurial Goodell confidants (Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Pat Bowlen, Jerry Richardson) who want a CBA that accounts for the high-risk investments they’ve made on new stadiums and other capital expenditures. For the most part, the owners are unified in their belief that they agreed to a lousy deal when the current CBA was extended in 2006, and that the players currently receive too great a share of their adjusted gross revenues. At last March’s NFL owners meeting in Orlando, Fla., the Carolina Panthers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/car/)’ Richardson gave a fiery speech (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownerrankingsparttwo090310) in which he exhorted his peers to “take back our league” by forcing a more favorable deal down the throats of the players. This is likely to be accomplished in the form of a lockout, though it’s possible that the owners could opt for a milder approach: negotiating to impasse and imposing terms of their choosing, which might compel the players to strike. DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA’s executive director, is convinced that a lockout is coming, and a majority of his constituents – many of whom are more engaged and informed than is commonly perceived – share this belief

psubills62
09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't be too surprised if a lockout did occur. Not only did the owners agree to too much in the last CBA that they'll be trying to take back, there are a lot of other issues that they want to address that the players won't like (18 game season, rookie pay scale, etc.).

The owners will want too many changes that the players will oppose.

ddaryl
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
My biggest concern is the high profile owners who shot their wads on these behemoth stadiums and now find themselves in a pinch....

We've already seen to big to fail, and I can forsee it being repeated here...

trapezeus
09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
i think the players shouldn't give an inch. They aren't guaranteed contracts. as a result it costs more. if they want to guarantee the contracts, then they should take less because it'll handcuff teams. the owners can't have it both ways.

For all this "don't tax the rich" that middle class and lower class republicans get up in a tizzy about, they don't seem to mind that those rich people seem to get the biggest government handouts of all.

why should the ralph and its parking be redesigned and updated on my dime, and ralph wilson getes all the stadium revenue and all the box revenue? Isn't this the issue?

I think with what the players go through physically and how they are left after the game, they better get all the money they can. and i'm not really worried about the mannings and such. I'm worried about the costanzos and the handful of PS LB's that played during the jauron years. these guys make nothing, and take the same abuse as the other guys. maybe worse because they are playing through pain to make the team.

YardRat
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
The owners, particularly a faction of aggressive, entrepreneurial Goodell confidants (Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Pat Bowlen, Jerry Richardson) who want a CBA that accounts for the high-risk investments they’ve made on new stadiums and other capital expenditures.

**** them, douchebags. Shouldn't have had their heads up their asses when the last CBA was passed. I hope they rot in hell.

Mike13
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
There's always the UFL, CFL and AFL.... ****.

Ebenezer
09-09-2010, 09:23 PM
If there is a lockout then I am afraid that this is the final year of Buffalo Bills football...RW won't make it to 2012. Did he even attend training camp this year?

Dr. Lecter
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM
If there is a lockout then I am afraid that this is the final year of Buffalo Bills football...RW won't make it to 2012. Did he even attend training camp this year?
You have been predicting his death each year for the past 5 years.

You have Patti-Syndrome......

trapezeus
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
but unlike Patti, people do eventually pass away.

ddaryl
09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
sad part is wil draft that franchise QB.. then have to endure a lockout that will be hard and painful, and will damage the league..

then maybe by 2012 we might get to watch football again.

I'm pretty convinced there is no middle ground on this one, this one ends badly for all...