PDA

View Full Version : Hardships, Gailey should serve Edwards well

justasportsfan
09-09-2010, 07:48 AM
“I watched Buffalo quite a lot this preseason,” said former Super Bowl MVP and CBS NFL analyst Phil Simms. “I was impressed with what I saw and I thought Trent Edwards looked as good as I’ve ever seen him look.

“I’ve known Chan Gailey since he was down there with Coach Cowher (Pittsburgh Steelers 1994-1997) and talked to him many times. I think he has a unique ability to really communicate to the quarterback. I think he makes them feel comfortable and history tells us he’s done a good job with just about everybody he’s worked with. And he’s a play caller that’s always going to give his quarterbacks some easy throws to keep the confidence level high whether it’s the screens, or this or that. He’s always got a few wrinkles. I think Trent Edwards is going to have a good, solid year.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Hardships-Gailey-should-serve-Edwards-well/7d4ca476-3dcb-4770-ac69-a4193f7d8dc7

ddaryl
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Coaching makes a huge difference... Especially in the developement of young players.

Jaurons systems and management style bred craptastic football. Mularkey was unexperienced and proved that.... Greg Williams was a D man only...

We'll get to see how this progresses, but we did see a huge upgrade in Offense production this preseason.. That has much to do with Gailey...

My fear is that our D is now going to suffer because we have an O minded coach....

justasportsfan
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
My fear is that our D is now going to suffer because we have an O minded coach....
this is where you have to make sure you have the right assistants. I don't think that Dicks assistants were as bad as Dicks conservative philosophy.

Dick held back his OC's who were nothing great to begin with. This is evident when both offense and defense started to become aggressive the minute Dick was fired and both Fewell/AVP had a free reign on the playcalling.

I don't know if George Edwards knows how to run a D yet and as far as I'm concerned, he's no different from any of Dicks assistants who were first time coordinators.

I also worry about the D because they are making a transistion to a system that most of the players have never played before.

One thing I am confident about is that Chan is NOT gonna to tell his coordinators to "play not to lose"

trapezeus
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
the brees angle and comparison to trent is interesting. i hope it works out the same way. i'd love to have a real qb to believe in and use our draft pick to really sure up the line on either sides of the ball.

i also would like for us to be the opening game of the season next year on a thursday night since that'll mean we would have won the superbowl.

TheBrownBear
09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
That's a pretty encouraging read. The first four games will tell us quickly if Trent is really heading in the right direction.

kingJofNYC
09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
The main point that stick out to me, is route recognition. Gailey basically comes out and says Trent lacked the skills to identify which route combos meshed/worked well with one another, how one route opened another one up. That says it all about the last coaching staff, and the absolute garbage route combos we ran.

topher180
09-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I agree, an encouraging read. Simms has plenty of cred, so I'll take that. What jumped out at me was this..

“When we drafted Philip Rivers, we drafted him to be the quarterback that year,” said Nix. “But he held out and then he never saw the field for two years because Drew Brees wouldn’t let him have it. He elevated his play tremendously, just because we didn’t have enough confidence in him that we drafted somebody else.”

Right. Brees is a winner, and has what it takes to be an NFL QB. He needed to be motivated to find that within him.

I don't think motivation is 100% of the equation, but IMO Trent has been through enough and is experienced enough now that this year will really tell us if he has "it" or he doesn't. I'm not talking just stats but I mean, is he tough enough and confident enough to play in the NFL. To have a short memory and play consistently. Does he have enough of a chip on his shoulder and enough pride to shut up the doubters (like me).

Mike13
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd take anyone else's opinion over Phil Simms.

better days
09-09-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd take anyone else's opinion over Phil Simms.

OK, would you like mine?

better days
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree, an encouraging read. Simms has plenty of cred, so I'll take that. What jumped out at me was this..

“When we drafted Philip Rivers, we drafted him to be the quarterback that year,” said Nix. “But he held out and then he never saw the field for two years because Drew Brees wouldn’t let him have it. He elevated his play tremendously, just because we didn’t have enough confidence in him that we drafted somebody else.”

Right. Brees is a winner, and has what it takes to be an NFL QB. He needed to be motivated to find that within him.

I don't think motivation is 100% of the equation, but IMO Trent has been through enough and is experienced enough now that this year will really tell us if he has "it" or he doesn't. I'm not talking just stats but I mean, is he tough enough and confident enough to play in the NFL. To have a short memory and play consistently. Does he have enough of a chip on his shoulder and enough pride to shut up the doubters (like me).

It would be great to be in the position S.D. was in when they got Rivers. I would just hope Nix could get something for Trent, unlike S.D. did with Brees.