• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

To those saying Spiller got nod due to Jackson injury

Coach Chan Gailey on Wednesday named Spiller his starter this weekend, when the Bills open the season by hosting Miami.

Gailey based his decision on the dynamic spark Spiller showed through much of the preseason by leading the team in scoring with three touchdowns rushing. Gailey says Spiller would have gotten the nod as starter even if Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, who split the starting duties last year, had not missed much of the past month with injuries.
    (STATS, Inc.)
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: To those saying Spiller got nod due to Jackson injury

Kind of contradictory to this statement on BB.COM don't you think?

"The reason he’s starting is because he has gotten more reps than anybody else at tailback in preseason and he’s done a good job," said Gailey
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Maybe it's his way of making the other two work harder. Instead of losing their jobs to an injury they are losing it to a better player. that would get me fired up vs. feeling like I got a raw deal.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

it also is a risky way to lose the faith of your only two other running backs. especially one who already wants out.

i'm guessing the second post is what gailey said. the first way of saying, "even if they practiced" is too much of generalization and an awful thing to say. if they practiced they could show what they got. the coach has to believe in his roster. to say that "even if they practiced, they wouldn't have won." is not inspiring for the ground game.

Comment

• DolfanTom
          I have an itch only a male dolphin can scratch
          • Oct 2005

How do you Bills fans feel about this??

To me, so what if Spiller starts. In today's NFL, you need at least 2 quality backs, and you have 3 when healthy, though one is kind of a douche, and wants out.

Jackson will play a lot, I'm sure, especially since Spiller really seems to be more of a third-down back type (though, we'll see, small guys have surprised before!).

This is BY FAR the strength of your team. You may as well exploit it. And - not to rub it in, I'm just stating a likelihood - w/ your o-line, you may well need all three this year!

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DolfanTom
            How do you Bills fans feel about this??

To me, so what if Spiller starts. In today's NFL, you need at least 2 quality backs, and you have 3 when healthy, though one is kind of a douche, and wants out.

Jackson will play a lot, I'm sure, especially since Spiller really seems to be more of a third-down back type (though, we'll see, small guys have surprised before!).

This is BY FAR the strength of your team. You may as well exploit it. And - not to rub it in, I'm just stating a likelihood - w/ your o-line, you may well need all three this year!
            Well there were reports that our team practiced a lot in two-back sets before Jackson and Lynch both got injured.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson and Spiller as two of our top 4-5 receivers on this team at the end of the year. I think they'll be used significantly in that capacity.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

our backfield is over crowded, especially with Spiller earning the starters role already... A trade deadline deal is very big possibility.

Comment

• DolfanTom
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                our backfield is over crowded, especially with Spiller earning the starters role already... A trade deadline deal is very big possibility.
                A trade for another team's talented o-line back-up would probably be a good idea! Someone who projects as a starter.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Fred Jackson will be on the field a ton, if our questionable D allows a couple of quick scores early and we're down by 10 or more.

Then it's single back (Jackson), no TE and 4 WR's wide. One of those receivers will be Spiller, who did the same thing at Clemson. If anyone is going to be shorted touches, it's Lynch.

Who starts ? Who cares ? It's the amount of touches you get.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                    shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                    • Mar 2007

Gailey want's to try his new toy. I don't blame him either.

Comment

• DolfanTom
                      • Oct 2005

I took Jackson as a b/u RB in my fantasy draft last night. I hope he gets a lot of touches after Week 1.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Can't wait to see both Fred and Cj on the field at the same time. Both can catch coming from the backfield. Pick your poison.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                        X