09-05-2002, 05:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0905/1427820.html

Sure glad TD decided not to go that route. :up:

casdhf
09-05-2002, 05:40 PM
:lol:

SoCalBillsFan
09-05-2002, 05:43 PM
I have been following this closely. Butler is actually REFUSING to give jammer more money. He has admitted behind closed doors that he is overpaying for players, and that last year he gave too big a deal to Tomlinson. He is trying to make up for that by not budging in talks with jammer, and hoping jammer will budge. He sees the inevitable cap problems down the road.

At least butler realizes he has to stop shelling out such huge contracts. Too bad it might be too late for the chargers.

JefftheBillsfan
too bad...the chargers have some major talent and could shock the league with a great 8+ win season IMO.

casdhf
Too bad for who? :D

JefftheBillsfan
09-05-2002, 05:45 PM
excellent point!

The_Philster
09-05-2002, 05:46 PM
I guess Butler's track record of having all his draft picks signed on time got blown out of the water on this one. :D

THATHURMANATOR
09-05-2002, 06:17 PM
F THE JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Philster
09-05-2002, 06:30 PM
I'm not gonna have to get security to sedate you, am I THURM? :D

THATHURMANATOR
09-05-2002, 06:33 PM
You may PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has happened before LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Philster
09-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Oh Boy...I'll tell Michael, Kelly, and Thomas to be ready. ;)

Novacane
09-05-2002, 09:23 PM
What a fool to sit out over $300,000 a year! He will never make up the few million he looses this year and can know that he will not go nearly as high in next years draft if he sits out all year. Why do these young guys listen to their stupid agents!

casdhf
09-05-2002, 09:37 PM
I wish I was good

SoCalBillsFan
09-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
You may PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has happened before LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thurm, I think you forgot an exclamation point...

:D

eyedog
09-06-2002, 09:52 AM
he 's not gonna sit out the whole year. thats a lot of cash to throw away. he'll miss one week, which means one check, tops.

colin
09-06-2002, 10:50 AM
The guy was picked to be the player most likely to make Pro Bowl in his rookie season. I would chuckle if he twists a knee and never gets a contract in the NFL.

lordofgun
09-06-2002, 10:54 AM
If Butler wouldn't have overpaid guys like Tim Dwight and Steven Alexander, Jammer would have been in camp on time.

casdhf
09-06-2002, 10:59 AM
He'll get his money as soon as they get tourched in the passing game

SABURZFAN
09-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
If Butler wouldn't have overpaid guys like Tim Dwight and Steven Alexander, Jammer would have been in camp on time.

that's no lie.i'd rather overpay tomlinson and jammer.

DraftBoy
09-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Jammer was one cocky kid over at Texas this doesnt surprise me at all. Butler is an idiot. As soon as they get tourched Butler will buckle.

TigerJ
09-06-2002, 04:27 PM
I heard a little on Jim Rome's radio show today. The discussion on the Jammer situation centered on the fact that the Chargers were offering less for a #5 draft pick than Ryan Simms is getting as a #6 choice. To a player that translates to"You are valuing me less than the established value for a player that was rated (by the draft) lower than I was." To players who place a great deal of stock in where they were drafted, it's not just the dollars. He would view it as an insult.

Everyone know Butler has overpaid a bunch of players both in Buffalo and SD. In effect it looks like Butler is trying to punish Jammer for his own past mistakes. Duh, John, that's not the way to run a team.

HenryRules
09-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Especially after reading TigerJ's comment, I don't blame Jammer for holding out. If you don't feel the people in the organization value you as highly as you value yourself, why sign with them? With franchise players and other ownership options, its quite likely he'll be stuck with this organization for up to 7 years or more. If he doesn't like the respect he gets from them, then why commit to that. No money at all is worth wasting 7 years of your life working for an organization that shows you disrespect.
As far as him not being able to make up for the money he loses this year, that is correct, he will miss out. However, throughout the course of his playing career, he'll still probably manage to make over $5 million due to on-field activities (at a bare minimum), plus whatever he gets due to off-field promotions. I think he'll be able to survive on that and won't really miss the millions of dollars.
I don't understand the way people treat athletes, if they go where the dollar value is highest, they're called greedy, selfish, and unfair to their original organization. If they don't sign for less than what they feel they're worth, then they're called stupid and told to stop listening to their agent. Sometimes I'm glad my contract negotations are not done in the public eye.

colin
09-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Butler overpaying Flutie, RJ, Fina, Holecek, Reimersma, Rogers, Christie, Ostroski, and whoever else cost us Thurman, Smith, Washington, Wiley, countless free agent opportunities and all the athletes I listed as being overpaid. He is a financial ******.

Novacane
09-06-2002, 08:19 PM
It does not matter if JB overpaid others or if the #6 pick got more. If JB holds firm Jammer is an absolute idiot to sit out the year. He will never be able to earn back the $$$$ he looses this year and it is doubtful that he will go top 10 next year after sitting out a year of football which will mean he gets a much smaller contract than he is being offered now.

Pure stupidity to throw away millions of $$$$ because you feel insulted! What a big stinking cry baby. Two words for Jammer
WHO CARES!