X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Question Mark: Bills had few options at tackle

The Bills probably could have acquired New Orleans' Jammal Brown for a third-round pick. He went to Washington for a third- or fourth-rounder and is starting at RT. He can play LT. Baltimore RT Jared Gaither was on the trade block but has been out since Aug. 5 with a thoracic disk injury in his back. Dallas acquired RT Alex Barron via trade. He's a backup but will start the opener. Cleveland signed journeyman Tony Pashos. He's strictly at RT and is a backup. Pittsburgh signed RT Flozell Adams. He's starting but he definitely can't play LT any more. Journeyman Adam Terry was signed by Indy, released and picked up by San Diego. He has chronic knee issues. Ex-Bill Mike Gandy still is out there. That's about it.

Q: How much do practice-squad players make? -- Ed Humbert, New York.

A: The salary is $5,200 per week. A player on the practice squad all 17 weeks would get $88,400. How many people straight out of college earn that kind of cash? Not many. And the practice-squad guys don't have any college loans to pay off, either.

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • mayotm
    • Jul 2003

Re: Question Mark: Bills had few options at tackle

I still can't believe that they didn't just pluck one from the all-pro LT tree.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

that last questions irked me a bit. $88k to get punished for 16 weeks and most likely need some surgery is probably not worth it. Also these guys are on the verge of getting kicked off the team if they want another player. How many of those guys play through serious injury and then find themselves with no coverage and a major back surgery or knee surgery? $88k goes pretty fast. and how many of those guys actually get the call up to a real contract? probably not many.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
        that last questions irked me a bit. $88k to get punished for 16 weeks and most likely need some surgery is probably not worth it. Also these guys are on the verge of getting kicked off the team if they want another player. How many of those guys play through serious injury and then find themselves with no coverage and a major back surgery or knee surgery? $88k goes pretty fast. and how many of those guys actually get the call up to a real contract? probably not many.
        I have back problems already and not making that kind of money. i would kill for a job like this one.
        The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus
          88k in 17 weeks is totally worth it. Nobody plays without insurance.

Comment

• yomommabilly
            • Dec 2009

Depends on how you look at it. You say they are on the verge of getting kicked off the team. On the contrarty, a lot of them are on the verge of being put on a 53 man roster and many of the PS players across the landscape WILL make a53 man roster. They can be taken by any NFL team from the PS but when taken, they have to be on the 53 man roster. Thats when their pay will almost quardruple per week. Its not like they are being flogged with whips that have nails in the end. They are also not being forced to participate on a PS, they are invited to join, its up to them to sign the PS contract. No one forces them to do so.

Comment

• cpearl
              • Mar 2005

Didn't you hear that we are trading for Gaither? Joe Logan said so!

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Practice squad salaries aren't necessarily set in stone, and the 5200/wk is the minimum (and, yes, generally speaking the standard) but teams can choose to pay players more than that.

I was researching this last week, and either '08 or '09 NE paid a ps player well over 200k.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                X