PDA

View Full Version : Play calling

Beebe's Kid
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Today was bad.

I see the obligatory "cut Trent," and get a kick out of the "Spiller is a bust" threads (if that is your take, I'd rather not even have this discussion with you.)

Of course we blame Whitner, and Poz, and blame the LB's. If that is your reason we lost, please see the Spiller sentiment above.

I am saying that the play calling was horrendous. Terrible. Putrid

Is the play calling bad because Gailey was scared? Didn't know what to do? Was outplanned by Miami?

There were some horrible officiating blunders out there. That is not to blame. Our D gave us the opportunity to win this game going away. They were inspired.

Back to my questions, with my main one being; did Chan dumb down the calls because Trent couldn't execute? Did Trent screw the pooch, and look checkdown, when there was things open downfield?

All of our plays to Spiller were handing him the ball flat-footed out of the shotgun, or on the swing pass. Nothing creative like we heard about...why?

The only thing I can come up with is that Miami never had to respect our pass. They didn't even have to give it ansecond thought. We ran the TD drive effectively, making me wonder if we shouldn't have gone 4 wide earlier?

Now that, when the games counted, we see the same Edwards we have ever seen, what do we change? What adjustment do you try to make to score points?

more cowbell
09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Finally...a good post about the offensive struggles.

They need to open up the offense more like they did on the TD drive, and stop handing the ball off out of the shotgun.

Novacane
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
There is a reason Chan Gailey has bounced around the league.

theanswer74
09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Pistol Offense.

I was screaming the whole game to stop running that crap.

more cowbell
09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Its hard to run the ball out of the shotgun when your left tackle cannot push the DE into the backfield...we saw the DE for miami completely stop spiller in his tracks as soon as he was handed the ball

better days
09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Today was bad.

I see the obligatory "cut Trent," and get a kick out of the "Spiller is a bust" threads (if that is your take, I'd rather not even have this discussion with you.)

Of course we blame Whitner, and Poz, and blame the LB's. If that is your reason we lost, please see the Spiller sentiment above.

I am saying that the play calling was horrendous. Terrible. Putrid

Is the play calling bad because Gailey was scared? Didn't know what to do? Was outplanned by Miami?

There were some horrible officiating blunders out there. That is not to blame. Our D gave us the opportunity to win this game going away. They were inspired.

Back to my questions, with my main one being; did Chan dumb down the calls because Trent couldn't execute? Did Trent screw the pooch, and look checkdown, when there was things open downfield?

All of our plays to Spiller were handing him the ball flat-footed out of the shotgun, or on the swing pass. Nothing creative like we heard about...why?

The only thing I can come up with is that Miami never had to respect our pass. They didn't even have to give it ansecond thought. We ran the TD drive effectively, making me wonder if we shouldn't have gone 4 wide earlier?

Now that, when the games counted, we see the same Edwards we have ever seen, what do we change? What adjustment do you try to make to score points?

The difference between this game & preseason is this game was against a 3-4 defense like the skins game. The rest of preseason was against 4-3 defenses.

JMO but I think this game was lost because of Trent. I can't wait to hear what Chan has to say. He has been straight with us up to now. I do not want to hear any BS.

Nighthawk
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
This was definitely not a good start for Chan...

TacklingDummy
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
There is a reason Chan Gailey has bounced around the league.

He reminds me of Dick.

ParanoidAndroid
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Not a single catch by a TE all day...I'm not sure they even targeted a TE all game long. If you want to get the safety off your star RB, you have to throw the ball around to different receivers.

Beebe's Kid
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
The difference between this game & preseason is this game was against a 3-4 defense like the skins game. The rest of preseason was against 4-3 defenses.

JMO but I think this game was lost because of Trent. I can't wait to hear what Chan has to say. He has been straight with us up to now. I do not want to hear any BS.
Why is there such a difference between the two? What is it that would give our team such fits?

I am serious, in case you think I am just being a dick. I have heard this argument, and it obviously has merit, but I have not heard why.

psubills62
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
The playcalling wasn't good. It was compounded by the execution and the porous offensive line.

Preseason got our hopes up, but this sure grounded them. I'm interested to see how Gailey responds to this.

more cowbell
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
The playcalling wasn't good. It was compounded by the execution and the porous offensive line.

Preseason got our hopes up, but this sure grounded them. I'm interested to see how Gailey responds to this.

Doesn't help were playing a possible top 3 team next week in their home opener...........but there has to be some improvements....SOMEWHERE

better days
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Why is there such a difference between the two? What is it that would give our team such fits?

I am serious, in case you think I am just being a dick. I have heard this argument, and it obviously has merit, but I have not heard why.

Well a 3-4 defense is aggressive, put pressure on the QB & force him to make quick decisions.

A 4-3 can be aggressive but many are more about keeping everything in front of you, don't give up the big play. It offers a QB more time to make his decision where to go with the ball, but will give up the big play far less often so the offense will have to drive down the field small chunks at a time.