PDA

View Full Version : Dick Jauron's "gutless" playcalling

OpIv37
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Let me preface this by clarifying that I am NOT defending Jauron. I hated the Jauron hire from the moment it happened, and at that time I correctly predicted that we'd be in the exact same spot in 3-4 years (search for it if you're bored). I'm glad he's gone.

But I will say this: we know Gailey's not gutless, yet, he made some calls that showed a lack of confidence in his O. Most notably, he chose to take a safety and play the "let's hope we can move the ball 90 yards in 28 seconds" game rather than throw on 4th and 10 from his own endzone.

Maybe some of Jauron's lack of confidence/balls was simply an acknowledgment that his team completely lacked talent. Jauron was definitely PART of the problem, but I think we're seeing that the talent level on this team is so piss-poor that we'd lose even if Bellicheck was the coach, Dungy was the OC and Cowher was the DC.

Novacane
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
That safety was the first question in his PC. He said he thought that is what gave them the best chance to win. Shows you how much confidence he has in his offense.

Novacane
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Get a QB and 2 OT and this team would be at least an 8-8 team IMO. They have some talent. They just have terrible players at very important posistions.

OpIv37
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Shows you how much confidence he has in his offense.

my point exactly. After how the offense played, and how they looked on the first 3 downs in that situation at the end of the game, how can you blame him? I'm thinking Jauron was dealing with a lot of the same nonsense. When the O is this bad, sometimes the gutless call provides the higher percentage of winning (and as I learned from the Simpsons, "What? Zero is a percent.")

better days
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Let me preface this by clarifying that I am NOT defending Jauron. I hated the Jauron hire from the moment it happened, and at that time I correctly predicted that we'd be in the exact same spot in 3-4 years (search for it if you're bored). I'm glad he's gone.

But I will say this: we know Gailey's not gutless, yet, he made some calls that showed a lack of confidence in his O. Most notably, he chose to take a safety and play the "let's hope we can move the ball 90 yards in 28 seconds" game rather than throw on 4th and 10 from his own endzone.

Maybe some of Jauron's lack of confidence/balls was simply an acknowledgment that his team completely lacked talent. Jauron was definitely PART of the problem, but I think we're seeing that the talent level on this team is so piss-poor that we'd lose even if Bellicheck was the coach, Dungy was the OC and Cowher was the DC.

I think Nix implied this even if he did not come right out & say it early on. He said it will take more than a year to fix this team.

Nighthawk
09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Get rid of Trent and things would be different. I'm not sure how much different, but they'd be different. I've seen this movie and I hated it the first few times...I don't want to pay to see it anymore.

dolphan117
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Honestly that was one of the worst coaching decisions I have seen in a very long time. At the time the bills were only down by 3 so if they had converted that third down they only needed to go 60 yards or so for a chance to tie it.

Instead they gave the ball to us in a situation where even if they got it back the offense would have to get a TD to win and a FG would do nothing.

Very, very strange.

dolphan117
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
my point exactly. After how the offense played, and how they looked on the first 3 downs in that situation at the end of the game, how can you blame him? I'm thinking Jauron was dealing with a lot of the same nonsense. When the O is this bad, sometimes the gutless call provides the higher percentage of winning (and as I learned from the Simpsons, "What? Zero is a percent.")
Even assuming this is true by taking the satay you are actually making it worse for your offense because now they need a TD instead of just a fg.

psubills62
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM

It's possible you're right, but at the same time, the lack of any adjustments by Jauron based on things we were doing well indicates he just had no clue what he was doing.

Obviously Gailey's playcalling wasn't very good tonight. I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass on this one. Miami switched DC's to a guy who was very good for Denver last year with almost less talent (except Dumervil).

It may end up that Gailey's playcalling looks good in preseason, but just doesn't work against the more complicated defenses of the regular season. It could be that Miami played well, or Edwards still just cannot play against the 3-4. I have a hard time putting the blame for this on one person.

justasportsfan
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
seems to me Jauron had the final say when it comes to talent.

Hogwasher
09-12-2010, 10:33 PM
We couldnt line up and run the ball on the Dolphins when we needed to. We know they arent a good run defending team. It will be a long year if we cant run the ball.

TacklingDummy
09-13-2010, 12:14 AM

The lack of talented football players hurt the Bills 100x more than anything Dick did.

justasportsfan
09-13-2010, 12:23 AM
The lack of talented football players hurt the Bills 100x more than anything Dick did.
he chose his players aside from his crappy play calling.

Besides, it's only been one game for Gailey. Dicks team looked worse than today in his 3rd year.

Dick would have punted on 4 and 11 and said" we'll let them beat us"

Oaf
09-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Get a QB and 2 OT and this team would be at least an 8-8 team IMO. They have some talent. They just have terrible players at very important posistions.

Disagree. We're in need of 2, more like 3, starting-capable linebackers. If you wanna get picky feel free to toss a WR and TE worth a crap in there too.

Philagape
09-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Gailey's MO was to tailor his offense to his players' talents .... well that's what we saw today. :ill: