X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

I don't feel as bad as I normally do

No it's not that I got numb because I was amotional as ever - ask my friends who watched the game with me yesterday.

It's just that my expectation was low and i feel like I got nothing to lose.

So what? They look to start 0-3 and finish 3-13.

If we have the right people in place - and most of us think we finally are with the current front office - then 3-13 is probably what we need.

The Chargers went 1-15 twice for them to get Tomlinson and Rivers. It's painful but it's a necessary process for small market team like Buffalo.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: I don't feel as bad as I normally do

This game actually really bothered me, not so much because we lost- I fully expected a loss.

What bothers me is the fact that it looked EXACTLY like last year. The D wasn't great but was just good enough to keep us in the game, and the offense was completely incompetent.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised. We didn't address T in the off-season. We didn't address WR. We didn't address QB. I was hoping that maybe Gailey could get more results from the same players, but the end result is still that a lack of talent leads to losses.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

OP, he picked a 3rd running back and then didn't elect to run on the first drive at all. I fear we have another, "trust me, i'm smart" fredo type coach.

God save our souls. What have we done to deserve this?

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
        This game actually really bothered me, not so much because we lost- I fully expected a loss.

What bothers me is the fact that it looked EXACTLY like last year. The D wasn't great but was just good enough to keep us in the game, and the offense was completely incompetent.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised. We didn't address T in the off-season. We didn't address WR. We didn't address QB. I was hoping that maybe Gailey could get more results from the same players, but the end result is still that a lack of talent leads to losses.
        Yeah, like I said in a previous thread, I don't think we can condemn Gailey after one regular season game. It obviously took him one game in preseason to get "back" to form.

You're absolutely right, though...it looked a lot like the normal offensively incompetent losses. It wasn't entertaining. It wasn't fun to watch.

I think there's still some hope that Gailey will adjust better to defensive schemes that Jauron did to the 3-4.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus
          OP, he picked a 3rd running back and then didn't elect to run on the first drive at all. I fear we have another, "trust me, i'm smart" fredo type coach.

God save our souls. What have we done to deserve this?

Come on! We tried to run the ball 14 times!

Isn't that good enough?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

Yeah, I think that's the truth. There's unfortunately only so much talent you can put together in one offseason. Watching that game yesterday, it seemed brutally obvious that Trent just doesn't have it. He's got a decent arm and is pretty accurate, but he just doesn't have any feeling for what's going on around him. he seemed to rush his throws when he didn't need to, and hold on too long when he didn't have the time. Our OTs are below average, but there are lots of QBs that put up decent numbers in bad situations.

Hell, Sam Bradford, a rookie starting his first game, threw for 300+ yesterday with a line every bit as bad as ours.

A bad season this year, and a shot at a truly elite QB in next year's draft might be the best we can hope for.
            Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• jpdex12
              • Jan 2005

A lot of you guys act surprised that we passed so much. If you were the Bill's coach and you wanted to throw off the other team wouldn't you choose to pass more when you have 3 RB's capable of being starters on a team and you know the other team is going to game plan to shut down your run game? That seems logical to me! the pass loosens up the run...if you can pass effectively. Our pass blocking was rough and Trent didn't convert enough down field throws to soften the run defense...end of game!
              Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by jpdex12
                A lot of you guys act surprised that we passed so much. If you were the Bill's coach and you wanted to throw off the other team wouldn't you choose to pass more when you have 3 RB's capable of being starters on a team and you know the other team is going to game plan to shut down your run game? That seems logical to me! the pass loosens up the run...if you can pass effectively. Our pass blocking was rough and Trent didn't convert enough down field throws to soften the run defense...end of game!
                i would have sacrificed a drive or too early to lull miami into fake confidence that they have it right. i would have hit them with run only on the first drive. even at 3 and out, you get them to really want to T off on our team. then i'd hit with, at the very least, a play action. at most a flea flicker or a reverse if they aren't holding the edges when we are sweeping on our run plays.

then i'd loosen them up with the pass. but to come out pass first, just invited un-picked up blitzs.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  i would have sacrificed a drive or too early to lull miami into fake confidence that they have it right. i would have hit them with run only on the first drive. even at 3 and out, you get them to really want to T off on our team. then i'd hit with, at the very least, a play action. at most a flea flicker or a reverse if they aren't holding the edges when we are sweeping on our run plays.

then i'd loosen them up with the pass. but to come out pass first, just invited un-picked up blitzs.
                  Exactly right. The biggest problem I had with Chan's gameplan is that he never looked to take advantage of the fact that Miami was overpursuing the run. I think our two best run plays were actually on cutback runs by Lynch and Jackson. Why didn't we see more of that? Or a simple reverse with Evans? I was baffled at the lack of ingenuity in the playcalling. I thought that was Chan's strength?

Comment

Working...
                  X