PDA

View Full Version : My sympathy goes out to Lewis Kelly of the Vikings

Bert102176
09-05-2002, 07:17 PM
Distraught over the death of his wife and unborn daughter, Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Lewis Kelly had to be talked out of retirement last week and still might walk away from the game for at least one year, sources close to the third-year veteran told ESPN.com on Thursday.

"He's not sure right now if he'll be ready to play football anytime soon, and maybe not at all, at least for this season," said the source. "He was all set to (retire) last week and family members told him to take some time to grieve and then worry about football. His head isn't into football at all. There's no telling when, or if, it will be."

Kelly, whose 24-year-old wife Rakiva died Aug. 25 of complications from pregnancy, informed head coach Mike Tice early on Wednesday morning that he is not yet ready to return to the team. Because of that, the league has granted the Vikings a two-week roster exemption for Kelly, meaning he will not count against the 53-player limit.

Rakiva Kelly carried the couple's unborn daughter until about two hours before her death.

"Lewis has to find out, in his heart, what is best for him," said his agent, Jonathan Feinsod. "That's hard to do, of course, when your heart is hurting as much as his is right now."

The offensive tackle practiced Monday and the Vikings, like most teams around the NFL, had Tuesday off. Kelly phoned Tice in the pre-dawn hours Wednesday to tell the coach he could not yet resume playing.

"To lose your wife and your (unborn) child . . . I mean how do you begin to recover from that?" said Vikings center Matt Birk. "It's devastating."

Valerie
09-05-2002, 07:20 PM
OMG!!!!!!! That is the worst thing I've read all day. That is sooooo sad. :( That poor man. I can't even begin to imagine what he's going through. No words can possibly comfort him right now. All we can do is pray for him. My heart truly breaks for him. :(

venis2k1
09-05-2002, 08:42 PM
I remember when this happened...so sad...football seems pretty trivial when you read something like that. You think that McKinnie will finally realize how selfish he is being and help this team out...i doubt it.

The_Philster
09-06-2002, 03:03 AM
I've been through some hard times myself, as have we all, but few have gone through anything this rough. I can certainly understand why he thought of retiring.

StillLurkin
09-06-2002, 04:09 AM
that gave me shivers up my spine! it really puts the game in perspective.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2002, 12:23 PM
football in minnesota is a trying time right now.all of these mishaps have to affect the team a little.

DraftBoy
09-06-2002, 02:53 PM
sad sad days in Minnesotta the past two years