PDA

View Full Version : Ellis and Maybin

ghz in pittsburgh
09-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I know Ellis got a sack but he still looked a little lost in coverage.

Maybin had a couple of pressure (one of them caused incompletion at 3rd down) and had couple of nice spin moves. But still not stout enough in run stuffing.

Overall I think both of them are moving in the right direction. Who knows, next year this time, they might establish themselves as starters at OLB for this team.

ddaryl
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM
not saying much, but Maybin had his best gamne as a pro

he is still just a situational OLB pass rusher at this point

psubills62
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Maybin's obviously no Orakpo, and people will disparage him until he's somewhere close. But I agree - he had a decent game.

There was one thing I didn't understand at all - there was at least one time I saw the Bills rush only 3 defenders (3 down linemen), and Maybin was one of the DE's on that play. He unsurprisingly was double-teamed by the tackle and OG and got taken out of the play.

I just don't get that. I saw it in the preseason too, and IIRC, it didn't work then. Do they really think that's a way Maybin can be effective? I mean, he beat a double-team in preseason for a QB pressure, but that was with more rushers. I didn't understand using him as a DE in a 3 down linemen front.

OpIv37
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I saw Maybin have one good pressure and make a great effort to chase a play down from behind to make the tackle. Not great, but better than what I expected from him. I still think he's a bust but I have to give him credit for slowly improving.

I'm not sure what to think about Ellis. He shows flashes of being a consistent player but also has his lapses.

On a related note, there was one 2nd and 14 play after a Dolphins penalty where both Ellis and Maybin were on the sidelines. I found that odd in such an obvious passing situation.

psubills62
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I saw Maybin have one good pressure and make a great effort to chase a play down from behind to make the tackle. Not great, but better than what I expected from him. I still think he's a bust but I have to give him credit for slowly improving.

I'm not sure what to think about Ellis. He shows flashes of being a consistent player but also has his lapses.

On a related note, there was one 2nd and 14 play after a Dolphins penalty where both Ellis and Maybin were on the sidelines. I found that odd in such an obvious passing situation.

Ellis will hopefully improve as the season continues. He wasn't great, but I have to say...he was 100 times better than Kelsay. Every time I saw Kelsay, he was either getting washed out of a play, or not keeping contain.

I can pretty much guarantee Kelsay will be gone from this team next year.

Oaf
09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Poz will be relegated to backup someday too.

stuckincincy
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
You'd kinda like to see last years' #1 get more than 0 solo tackles with one assist and one qb "hurry."...

I didn't see the game, and with Mitchell on IR, and Tobor and recent acquisition Ayodele inactive, my guess is that he had a decent amount of time on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54864/BUF_Gamebook.pdf

psubills62
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Hopefully Poz will be relegated to backup someday too.

I will never understand why people bother posting something that's completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

psubills62
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
You'd kinda like to see last years' #1 get more than 0 solo tackles with one assist and one qb "hurry."...

I didn't see the game, and with Mitchell on IR, and Tobor and recent acquisition Ayodele inactive, my guess is that he had a decent amount of time on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54864/BUF_Gamebook.pdf

They may not be stats that are worthy of a Jauron clap, but they're not bad.

The QB "hurry" (not sure why you put it in quotes) was exactly that - a QB hurry. Which is perfectly legitimate and better than he did last year.

And I don't remember seeing Maybin very much on the field. There were times I saw him out there, but Miami ran the other way (probably to take advantage of Kelsay's incompetence).

kingJofNYC
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
The problem is Kelsay, he's taking reps away from these guys.

Lets face it, we're in rebuild mode. We need these young guys on the field as much as possible, see what we have with them because there's no future with the Kelsays of the world.

Gailey mentioned Moats moving back outside next season (injuries won't allow it this season). He, along with Coleman, should also get pass rush reps on 3rd and long.

Lets see what we have with the young guys, they can only improve.

stuckincincy
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
They may not be stats that are worthy of a Jauron clap, but they're not bad.

The QB "hurry" (not sure why you put it in quotes) was exactly that - a QB hurry. Which is perfectly legitimate and better than he did last year.

And I don't remember seeing Maybin very much on the field. There were times I saw him out there, but Miami ran the other way (probably to take advantage of Kelsay's incompetence).

In quotes, because it's a subjective judgment rendered by those NFL folks that tabulate game stats for publication.

I'd be a bit surprised if Maybin wasn't on the field a fair amount of the time, what with 2 roster linebackers inactive and not available for duty in the front 7...be they dubbed LB or DE.

psubills62
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
In quotes, because it's a subjective judgment rendered by those NFL folks that tabulate game stats for publication.

I'd be a bit surprised if Maybin wasn't on the field a fair amount of the time, what with 2 roster linebackers inactive and not available for duty in the front 7...be they dubbed LB or DE.

It's not subjective - everyone saw him pressure the QB and he's the reason there was an incompletion on that play. If you don't believe me, read Op's post.

All I said was that I didn't see him very much. I don't know exactly how many plays he was in on. I think there were a decent # of times that they went nickel (4 down linemen, 2 LB's).

Maybin didn't have an amazing game, but people who watched the game saw improvement from him.

Don't Panic
09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
The problem is Kelsay, he's taking reps away from these guys.

Lets face it, we're in rebuild mode. We need these young guys on the field as much as possible, see what we have with them because there's no future with the Kelsays of the world.

Gailey mentioned Moats moving back outside next season (injuries won't allow it this season). He, along with Coleman, should also get pass rush reps on 3rd and long.

Lets see what we have with the young guys, they can only improve.

Kelsay sucked from what I saw of him yesterday. He was awful in coverage and made a poor commit on an outside run play. Most of the game he was trying (running hard) but failing pretty badly.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Maybin had one big gaffe in Dolphins TE Fasano(s[?)'s big play. The Bills had a blitz on with Brian Scott. And Maybin stayed with Fasano. Then a lane opened up and he flew into the lane straight for Henne, allowing Henne to easily loft the ball up to Fasano. I thought it was a screen play at the time until I saw Brian Scott gave it to Maybin after the play.

stuckincincy
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
It's not subjective - everyone saw him pressure the QB and he's the reason there was an incompletion on that play. If you don't believe me, read Op's post.

All I said was that I didn't see him very much. I don't know exactly how many plays he was in on. I think there were a decent # of times that they went nickel (4 down linemen, 2 LB's).

Maybin didn't have an amazing game, but people who watched the game saw improvement from him.

As I said, previously, I didn't see the game. If he has improved, well, I'm all for that.

RoscoeMagic
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Kelsay needs to take a seat badly. Ellis can at least provide a pass rush, same with Maybin. Kelsay's a clown who can't get to the QB or stay with the slowest TE/RB...he's useless.

CAbills
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Kelsay was bad. You see OLB on other teams flying around to the ball. So many times Keslay was at the right spot to make a play but was just to damn slow to do anything about it, very frustrating to watch.

casdhf
09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
He's been a DE for a million years. He should have been released. He looks very out of place.

Mad Bomber
09-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Kelsay sucked from what I saw of him yesterday. He was awful in coverage and made a poor commit on an outside run play. Most of the game he was trying (running hard) but failing pretty badly.

He was running hard, but running very slowly. He was horrible yesterday, and doesn't belong on the football field. He's not a linebacker, pure and simple. The problem is that he isn't a DE, either.

X-Era
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Maybin's obviously no Orakpo, and people will disparage him until he's somewhere close. But I agree - he had a decent game.

There was one thing I didn't understand at all - there was at least one time I saw the Bills rush only 3 defenders (3 down linemen), and Maybin was one of the DE's on that play. He unsurprisingly was double-teamed by the tackle and OG and got taken out of the play.

I just don't get that. I saw it in the preseason too, and IIRC, it didn't work then. Do they really think that's a way Maybin can be effective? I mean, he beat a double-team in preseason for a QB pressure, but that was with more rushers. I didn't understand using him as a DE in a 3 down linemen front.

Exactly, He needs space to operate where he can use his speed. Stunting him or rushing him of the DE.

YardRat
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Exactly, He needs space to operate where he can use his speed. Stunting him or rushing him of the DE.

He pretty much came out and admitted this morning (via comments on the radio) that he struggles in space, and feels much more comfortable with the constant contact in the trenches.

X-Era
09-13-2010, 04:10 PM
He pretty much came out and admitted this morning (via comments on the radio) that he struggles in space, and feels much more comfortable with the constant contact in the trenches.

Who admitted that? Maybin? If so, he needs to watch his own tape. He gets manhandled on the line and cant get off blocks. He doesnt have the strength to do that. If he develops a spin move, he could develop some pass rush as a DE. Without it, he's a bull rusher who doesnt have the strength to bull rush. The only other thing he can do is dip his head under T's which he had some success with in preseason.

No, IMO, he needs space or he's going to be ineffective.

kingJofNYC
09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Agree about needing to free up Maybin for him to have success. He's not a natural pass rusher, but has excellent acceleration, you need to create blitz packages were his speed is the lone factor.

You see Rex Ryan freeing up mediocre athletes all the time with the Jets. Outside of Pace/Scott they have no real pass rushers, yet he gets middling guys like Thomas to break through.

JCBills
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Ellis did have a few sloppy plays, but I liked what I saw overall. They were lining him up all over, and he was giving the RT a hard time fairly often, there should have been a few flags thrown for holding. Took some nice pursuit angles, I think he'll continue to get better. Strong showing for his first real game as a 3-4 OLB.

Maybin had a few nice plays too, made some good reads and reacted well.

Luisito23
09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
If they keep on trying to use Maybin as a DE they're going to continue to fail. His rushing from stance is horrible, and his spin move laughable..Have him rush from all over the place, just don't leave him 1 on 1 against any starting OL.