PDA

View Full Version : Gailey is embarrased

ghz in pittsburgh
09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I was told by my friend who works at a local agency that Gailey turned off his cell phones and worked in the film room all the way to 3am last night. Gailey's agent, someone my friend is familiar, didn't get hold him until this morning.

It's all high level general stuff, but they gather that Gailey felt thoroughly embarrased by his own performance in terms of preparation and adjustments. Maybe over-estimated his offensive players and gave them too much with regard to complicated plays and schemes.

Welcome back to an NFL HC job Thomas. Sleepless nights are a norm. If you felt embarrased by the Dolphins yesterday, wait until next Sunday at GB, or two weeks later at NE - I remember Jauron's team regularly received college blow-out scores from the a heathy Brady bunch.

Oaf
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm glad that he apparently seems personally convicted that he didn't gameplan well enough rather than just giving that to the media (and privately holding that his players were just garbage).

Extremebillsfan247
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
friend of a friend who knows somebody.. lol ok. Even if it were remotely true which I doubt, how could you sit here and pretend like you know what Chan is thinking, or how he is feeling? unless you actually know him on a personal level, you have no idea what he is doing or why. So I'm calling this one BS.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
If he means it, he'll resign.

G Wolly
09-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Welcome back to an NFL HC job Thomas.

Who?

YardRat
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Who?

Gailey's first name is Thomas.

Demon
09-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Watching all the tape in the world ain't gonna help this guy.

G Wolly
09-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Gailey's first name is Thomas.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Crisis
09-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Sitting in the film room praying for a real quarterback isn't gonna do anything Chan.

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2010, 01:00 AM
he should be embarassed. i almost want to say jauron would have done a better job.

G Wolly
09-14-2010, 01:23 AM
he should be embarassed. i almost want to say jauron would have done a better job.

Jauron wouldn't have put up more than 6 points.

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2010, 01:26 AM
he put up 33 points against a better seattle team at the home opener. also almost beat new england at last year opener. so i wouldn't say that. in no way am i showing love for that ******. all i'm saying is he very possibly could have coached a better game than gailey did on sunday.

Crisis
09-14-2010, 01:29 AM
umm, you realize seattle won 4 games that year right?

not to mention 20 of our points in that game were directly from our special teams

yomommabilly
09-14-2010, 01:57 AM
He must be proud of the offensive line he put together. That alone wouldmake a grown man cry. On top of that he watched how good the left side of Miami's Oline looked with Long and a guy named Incognito. He said to himself, Hmmm, that name rings a bell, I know that guy from someplace. LOL. Honest, its sad folks.

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2010, 02:07 AM
umm, you realize seattle won 4 games that year right?

not to mention 20 of our points in that game were directly from our special teams

instead of pointing out what their record ended up being just admit i'm right.

ChristopherWalken
09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
For the love of God...lets give Chan Gailey more than one game before we determine that Dick Jauron is the better coach.

Forward_Lateral
09-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Dick would've elected to kick a FG on 4th and 11, and Lindell would've missed it, and we'd all be sitting here calling him a pussy.

WE can play the Dick would game all day long.

Patti120
09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
He did seem pretty beat up at the Monday press conference. He appeared to be totally out of it and dejected. First game must have really brought on the O **** meter.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Dick would've elected to kick a FG on 4th and 11, and Lindell would've missed it, and we'd all be sitting here calling him a pussy.

Fallacy of the predetermined outcome. This reasoning doesn't fly.

ChristopherWalken
09-14-2010, 07:29 AM
He did seem pretty beat up at the Monday press conference. He appeared to be totally out of it and dejected. First game must have really brought on the O **** meter.

He's trying to figure out where his starting QB went.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Honestly, I put most of the loss on Gailey.

I was watching the game and thinking that if this his offensive gameplan we are screwed today.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 07:42 AM
His offensive gameplan was atrocious (finally saw the game). His running attack made no sense and he in no way played to our strengths.

He tried to make the team play his system, rather than fitting his system around the players we had.

Square peg, Round hole analogy.

ChristopherWalken
09-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Hard to gameplan for poor execution.

Turf
09-14-2010, 07:52 AM
I think he needs to figure out and what his running is and go with it. The three headed thing isn't going to work, only in mop up time.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-14-2010, 07:55 AM
he put up 33 points against a better seattle team at the home opener. also almost beat new england at last year opener. so i wouldn't say that. in no way am i showing love for that ******. all i'm saying is he very possibly could have coached a better game than gailey did on sunday.
What are you talking about that Seattle team was awful. Reguardless, Chan will have the offense more prepared and they will put up some points.

stuckincincy
09-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Hmm...

THE NE game was a great - if frustrating - effort, but IIRC, SEA was pretty banged-up in the '08 opener.

Jan Reimers
09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
For the love of God...lets give Chan Gailey more than one game before we determine that Dick Jauron is the better coach.
I totally agree, but I know from experience that it's hard to be the voice of reason when a lynch mob is loose in the streets.

EricStratton
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I just don't see how you can make the leap from "turned off phone to work" to embarrassed and over-estimating.

Carl Lewis makes shorter jumps then that.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
His offensive gameplan was atrocious (finally saw the game). His running attack made no sense and he in no way played to our strengths.

He tried to make the team play his system, rather than fitting his system around the players we had.

Square peg, Round hole analogy.
Although I agree that he didn't call a good game I don't think it was because he was trying to force a square peg... I think it was more that he just never got into a groove. Play callers just like players get into a zone and I don't think he got into that zone. In preseason I saw him call games that fit our personnel perfectly so I think his offensive philosophy does cater to what we can do, it just didn't appear on game day. And again, I put that on Trent for being so inept at executing basic plays that he made playcalling difficult. I mean, when yer QB is firing darts for screen passes what else is there to call. Captain Checkdown couldn't even hit a checkdown.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Hard to gameplan for poor execution.

This is BS. The gameplan called for a heavy dose of Spiller. Miami gameplanned for it which somehow shocked Gailey. What happened to the different looks?

Than he gave up too quickly on Spiller and looked like he pulled out Van Pelts playbook in the 2nd half.

I still like Gailey and I think he'll figure it out but this loss was on him.

better days
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
This is BS. The gameplan called for a heavy dose of Spiller. Miami gameplanned for it which somehow shocked Gailey. What happened to the different looks?

Than he gave up too quickly on Spiller and looked like he pulled out Van Pelts playbook in the 2nd half.

Yeah this loss is on Chan, he made Trent the QB. BIG MISTAKE.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
We ran the ball 14 damn times.

The strength of this team is running the ball.

But, yeah just give up on it.

mysticsoto
09-14-2010, 08:29 AM

I don't see how you can say that the loss was on him. Yeah, he somehow didn't realize that Miami was going to gameplan to take Spiller/any RB out, but then he did what you were supposed to do. If there are 8 in the box, you gotta throw. How can Gailey be penalized for Trent's ineptness in throwing? You got receivers in man coverage - which should be a dream against Miami...their CBs are sub par and they had a starting CB sitting...Lee was single covered many times and you don't throw to him except 1 bomb in the 3rd qtr? Nelson is a big guy - you don't throw a jump ball and give him a chance to come down with it?

Gailey does deserve some blame too. Miami's Dline continues to penetrate non-stop and you don't call a middle screen every now and then? With their strong pursuing, you don't call a reverse/misdirection once in the game? Or at the very least, a flea flicker that might give WRs time to get downfield while the misdirection causes Trent to have the time he needs for the play to develop...no, there was none of this. And so, if Gailey is embarrassed it is deservedly so. But, I'll continue to say this - none of that excuses Trent's poor play!

BuffaloBlitz83
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Why did we run the ball only 14 times????????? I don't get it. Still.

Not like we were 20 points back and needed to catch up fast. STUPIDDDDDD

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Why did we run the ball only 14 times????????? I don't get it. Still.

Not like we were 20 points back and needed to catch up fast. STUPIDDDDDD
Man, how many times does this need to be explained. MIAMI WAS ALL UP IN THE BOX. There was no where to run. Their CBs were even right up at the LoS. Their SS was playing LB. Watch the game Yeremiah Bell was almost on the LoS. Spiller had a swarm of guys around him every time he touched the ball.

The only way to move the ball was if Trent hit a couple of passes over the middle for big gains, 15-20 yards. That would back them off, AND THEN we could get more runs in.

ALSO, how can you run the ball when you don't have it. Buffalo was 3 and out every series.

It really isn't complicated.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Although I agree that he didn't call a good game I don't think it was because he was trying to force a square peg... I think it was more that he just never got into a groove. Play callers just like players get into a zone and I don't think he got into that zone. In preseason I saw him call games that fit our personnel perfectly so I think his offensive philosophy does cater to what we can do, it just didn't appear on game day. And again, I put that on Trent for being so inept at executing basic plays that he made playcalling difficult. I mean, when yer QB is firing darts for screen passes what else is there to call. Captain Checkdown couldn't even hit a checkdown.

I dont know that Id go as far as perfectly but he did show alot in the preseason but what was that? He showed no variance in formation, didn't adjust the attack to attack the edges (Spiller's strong suit) when Miami stacked the box for the inside run. Where was the adjustment?

You putting it all on Trent is way overboard. Trent made plenty of mistakes and showed why he has no business being a starter in the NFL, but the gameplan from the starting point was atrocious.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Man, how many times does this need to be explained. MIAMI WAS ALL UP IN THE BOX. There was no where to run. Their CBs were even right up at the LoS. Their SS was playing LB. Watch the game Yeremiah Bell was almost on the LoS. Spiller had a swarm of guys around him every time he touched the ball.

The only way to move the ball was if Trent hit a couple of passes over the middle for big gains, 15-20 yards. That would back them off, AND THEN we could get more runs in.

ALSO, how can you run the ball when you don't have it. Buffalo was 3 and out every series.

It really isn't complicated.

Miami was also over aggressive and flying to the ball, some misdirection, FB dive fake to HB pitch, and endarounds, probably would of worked to loosen up the D as well. Again gameplan decisions that for some reason were never called.

trapezeus
09-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Not true, Dick would have had the punting unit out there to "back them up deep"

I am partially joking, but there were 6 minutes at that point. plenty of time to be stupidly conservative.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Not true, Dick would have had the punting unit out there to "back them up deep"

I am partially joking, but there were 6 minutes at that point. plenty of time to be stupidly conservative.

Jauron actually most likely would have sent Lindell out there.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I dont know that Id go as far as perfectly but he did show alot in the preseason but what was that? He showed no variance in formation, didn't adjust the attack to attack the edges (Spiller's strong suit) when Miami stacked the box for the inside run. Where was the adjustment?

You putting it all on Trent is way overboard. Trent made plenty of mistakes and showed why he has no business being a starter in the NFL, but the gameplan from the starting point was atrocious.
When you stack the box in the NFL, especially when you face a 3-4 that employs many athletes on the field, you are not only taking away the inside run. You essentially take away the outside run also. Those guys go east-west very fast, Misi and Wake are athletes.

I would have liked to see more variety in the run game but the reality was that with as many guys as were stacked in the box, it was never going to work anyway.

I blame Trent 100% because if he would have made a couple of plays in the passing game, that would have loosened up the Miami D enough to get our run game going and maybe even score a TD or a couple more FGs to win the game.

All we needed in that game to win was our QB to be a manager and he couldn't even do that. That is the ONLY reason we lost.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 08:56 AM
When you stack the box in the NFL, especially when you face a 3-4 that employs many athletes on the field, you are not only taking away the inside run. You essentially take away the outside run also. Those guys go east-west very fast, Misi and Wake are athletes.

I would have liked to see more variety in the run game but the reality was that with as many guys as were stacked in the box, it was never going to work anyway.

I blame Trent 100% because if he would have made a couple of plays in the passing game, that would have loosened up the Miami D enough to get our run game going and maybe even score a TD or a couple more FGs to win the game.

All we needed in that game to win was our QB to be a manager and he couldn't even do that. That is the ONLY reason we lost.

Then how was KC able to run the ball last night?

Their QB didn't take any pressure off and they still ran for 131 yards as team.

Oh yeah, they did because they didn't just give up on it.

This game was never at any point out of reach and giving up on the run and putting the ball squarely in the hands of a guy who is having an outright terrible day in Edwards was a huge coaching mistake.

You play to the strength of your team and impose your will.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Miami was also over aggressive and flying to the ball, some misdirection, FB dive fake to HB pitch, and endarounds, probably would of worked to loosen up the D as well. Again gameplan decisions that for some reason were never called.
Gimmick plays don't loosen up defenses. If I'm a DC and the opposing offense hits me with a reverse, I'm not going to worry about that reverse the rest of the game and change my strategy. If the opposing QB however, punishes my aggressiveness with a couple of throws over the LBs and moves the chains then I would have to re-think how aggressive I want to be.

FB fakes and end-arounds don't change defenses approach. It's either you open up a defense with the run or you open them up with the pass. DCs are not phased by trick plays.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm going to guess here but the same o-line that can't pass block probably struggles to run block as well.

With that said Gailey got outcoached. Period.

Starting out the game like we have the best o-line in football was pretty stupid.

Shocking that Saparano decided to keep guys on Spiller.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Then how was KC able to run the ball last night?

Their QB didn't take any pressure off and they still ran for 131 yards as team.

Oh yeah, they did because they didn't just give up on it.

This game was never at any point out of reach and giving up on the run and putting the ball squarely in the hands of a guy who is having an outright terrible day in Edwards was a huge coaching mistake.

You play to the strength of your team and impose your will.
Because although Cassel didn't have a good game S.D. still has respect for Cassel and the K.C. passing game. They weren't as aggressive as Miami was with Buffalo. S.D. actually plays a very vanilla defense. They don't load up the LoS that much, they were playing a pretty laid back style and they have been that way since they lost Wade.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Because although Cassel didn't have a good game S.D. still has respect for Cassel and the K.C. passing game. They weren't as aggressive as Miami was with Buffalo. S.D. actually plays a very vanilla defense. They don't load up the LoS that much, they were playing a pretty laid back style and they have been that way since they lost Wade.

Rob Ryan always coaches an aggressive attacking style of defense...

Josh Freeman doesn't scare anyone.

He averaged about 6.5 yards per attempt.

They still ran the ball 28 times with their backs while averaging 3.04 YPC.

Sure, Spiller couldn't do jack Sunday as evidenced by 7 carries for 6 yards but both Jackson and Lynch were over 4 yards a carry.

When you make your team 1 dimensional, you tend not to win very many ballgames. Especially if that 1 dimension is the biggest weakness your team has.

BertSquirtgum
09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
When you make your team 1 dimensional, you tend not to win very many ballgames. Especially if that 1 dimension is the biggest weakness your team has.

could be his secret plan. to lose as many games as possible........ gailey really wants that #1 pick.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Sure, Spiller couldn't do jack Sunday as evidenced by 7 carries for 6 yards but both Jackson and Lynch were over 4 yards a carry.

Josh Freeman didn't need to scare anyone, he needed to do exactly what he did. Be efficient, don't turn the ball over, spread the ball around and force the D to respect you, they don't have to fear you.

He finished with 188 yards 61% completions and 2 TDs. Exactly what Trent should be doing. And this kid is younger and has less experience.

The Compromise
09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
If you felt embarrased by the Dolphins yesterday, wait until next Sunday at GB, or two weeks later at NE

Gailey's on the precipice of far more embarrassment than he is experiencing right now potentially sitting atop the worst overall Bills performance since Ferragamo and Ferguson were our QBs, and right now I'd take either over Edwards.

ChristopherWalken
09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

BS is having a QB that doesn't know how to throw the football while in pressured situations.

You're missing the big issues here. Trent is given plays and has CHOICES while on the field. 9 out of 10 his choice is to hit the checkdown receiver in the flat. Why? Not because Gailey tells him to do that but because Edwards is too scared to do anything else.

Since that hit in Arizona, Kitten Edwards works the safe route. Miami's D game planned for Edwards: put pressure on the QB and cover the flats for screens and dump offs.

THIS KID IS TOO DAMN SCARED TO THROW THE BALL - and at this level, that is BS.

ublinkwescore
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
No more QBs with any ties to California for Buffalo. We need a QB with a pennsylvania pedigree.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Gimmick plays don't loosen up defenses. If I'm a DC and the opposing offense hits me with a reverse, I'm not going to worry about that reverse the rest of the game and change my strategy. If the opposing QB however, punishes my aggressiveness with a couple of throws over the LBs and moves the chains then I would have to re-think how aggressive I want to be.

FB fakes and end-arounds don't change defenses approach. It's either you open up a defense with the run or you open them up with the pass. DCs are not phased by trick plays.

I'd love to play you as DC then, refusing to adjust to something that beats you is a recipe for disaster. I'd run reverses, end around, and fakes all day to both sides while you put 8 in the box. Good luck catching Spiller and Parrish once they turn the corner.

Reverese, endarounds and outside runs are not trick plays either, they are innovatively designed plays to expose defenses that are overloaded and over aggresive.

Trick plays are things like a flea flicker not a reverse.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 10:26 AM

DIfference is ,Ryan knows his qb sucks. He's had him for a year. Gailey thought that trent could throw and open up the run. He's never had him for a regular game.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd love to play you as DC then, refusing to adjust to something that beats you is a recipe for disaster. I'd run reverses, end around, and fakes all day to both sides while you put 8 in the box. Good luck catching Spiller and Parrish once they turn the corner.

Reverese, endarounds and outside runs are not trick plays either, they are innovatively designed plays to expose defenses that are overloaded and over aggresive.

Trick plays are things like a flea flicker not a reverse.
If this was true offenses would run reverses way more often than they do. An offense will run 1 maybe 2 reverses a game and how many times do defenses sniff it out and get a tackle for loss.

Let me know when an offense actually runs more than 2 or 3 reverses in a game. This isn't madden.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
If this was true offenses would run reverses way more often than they do. An offense will run 1 maybe 2 reverses a game and how many times do defenses sniff it out and get a tackle for loss.

Let me know when an offense actually runs more than 2 or 3 reverses in a game. This isn't madden.

Who said it was?

How often do you see actual trick plays run? once a season maybe twice?

Again something that is run consistently every week is not a trick play.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Who said it was?

How often do you see actual trick plays run? once a season maybe twice?

Again something that is run consistently every week is not a trick play.
Whether calling it a trick play or a mis-direction play is irrelevant. My point is that it is not a play that is run a lot because it is high risk. It is run once or twice a game if that, and cannot be depended on to back defenses off.

If I'm a DC and that is all you got I'm still coming to the LoS and forcing you to beat me through the air, which we know Trent won't do.

DCs don't see reverses and say "o God I better back off so they don't do it again." And OC rarely even go back to a reverse even if it works. It's a play used to gain an advantage in a particular situation, like a must have first down or just as a change up. They work half the time and the other half it results in a loss or no gain.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Whether calling it a trick play or a mis-direction play is irrelevant. My point is that it is not a play that is run a lot because it is high risk. It is run once or twice a game if that, and cannot be depended on to back defenses off.

If I'm a DC and that is all you got I'm still coming to the LoS and forcing you to beat me through the air, which we know Trent won't do.

DCs don't see reverses and say "o God I better back off so they don't do it again." And OC rarely even go back to a reverse even if it works. It's a play used to gain an advantage in a particular situation, like a must have first down or just as a change up. They work half the time and the other half it results in a loss or no gain.

You're failing to see the forest through the trees, I mentioned 4 or 5 different plays Id run and you remain fixated on only one. I can run numerous variations and different types of plays off of those 4 or 5 and I can run them out of multiple sets.

Your idea that 1 or 2 reverses is what I said is more like 20-30 different variations of the same premise run out of different set, formation, or personnell package. So yea as a DC you damn well better be aware of that because if you fail to change Ill run the same kind of play over and over again with a different look because it will work until you make a change to stop it, then Ill adjust mine to exploit you're changed D. The basic premise being that if you load the box, Im going to make you chase me, Im going to make you run boundary to boundary and Im going to make you guess and assume what Im doing and where Im going. We never attempted to make the Dolphins do that despite an abundance of weapons at RB and great speed at WR.

That's how this is supposed to work.

better days
09-14-2010, 11:04 AM

You are wrong about Freeman. He has a great arm & is already a better QB than Trent.

DraftBoy
09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
You are wrong about Freeman. He has a great arm & is already a better QB than Trent.

Freeman has proven nothing and teams have no reason to be fearful of him. RJ Archer has a great arm too but nobody would be afraid of him if we started him suddenly.

Note: RJ Archer is a current FA QB formerly of William & Mary and camped with Minnesota.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
You're failing to see the forest through the trees, I mentioned 4 or 5 different plays Id run and you remain fixated on only one. I can run numerous variations and different types of plays off of those 4 or 5 and I can run them out of multiple sets.

Your idea that 1 or 2 reverses is what I said is more like 20-30 different variations of the same premise run out of different set, formation, or personnell package. So yea as a DC you damn well better be aware of that because if you fail to change Ill run the same kind of play over and over again with a different look because it will work until you make a change to stop it, then Ill adjust mine to exploit you're changed D. The basic premise being that if you load the box, Im going to make you chase me, Im going to make you run boundary to boundary and Im going to make you guess and assume what Im doing and where Im going. We never attempted to make the Dolphins do that despite an abundance of weapons at RB and great speed at WR.

That's how this is supposed to work.
Sorry what yer talking about is just not realistic and I don't even see this happening on other NFL teams.

When the box is loaded up that much, as it was against Miami, at the end of the day it's too many defenders many of which would be more than happy to chase you sideline to sideline and tackle you.

Gimme a break man, LBs today run like RBs and safeties tackle like LBs if I have 8 or 9 in the box I don't care what formation you are using or where you run. Bottom line is you have to get passed 8 or 9 defenders ready and waiting to destroy the ball carrier with no regard for our ability to throw the ball.

Night Train
09-14-2010, 11:32 AM

If he shows a quick hook on #5, he'll improve his chances drastically towards winning football games.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
DIfference is ,Ryan knows his qb sucks. He's had him for a year. Gailey thought that trent could throw and open up the run. He's never had him for a regular game.

Rob Ryan is Cleveland's defensive coordinator.

Your entire post is nonsensical.

The whole point is Cleveland is aggressive on defense both against the run and pass, not that they're very good, but still aggressive. They loaded up the box against Freeman because Freeman is raw on top of the fact had a thumb injury.

What did Tampa do?

Ran the ball anyways and didn't try to shoulder the entire burden on their inexperienced QB who has a bum hand.

Meanwhile what did we do? Try to shoulder the entire burden on a bum QB.

It was poor playcalling at its finest.

Mahdi
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM

The whole point is Cleveland is aggressive on defense both against the run and pass, not that they're very good, but still aggressive. They loaded up the box against Freeman because Freeman is raw on top of the fact had a thumb injury.

What did Tampa do?

Ran the ball anyways and didn't try to shoulder the entire burden on their inexperienced QB who has a bum hand.

AGAIN!

Freeman made plays, enough plays to make the Browns respect the pass game.

He had 188 yards, 61% and 2 TDs.

Yer argument makes no sense and only goes to prove the opposite.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 11:45 AM
AGAIN!

Freeman made plays, enough plays to make the Browns respect the pass game.

He had 188 yards, 61% and 2 TDs.

Yer argument makes no sense and only goes to prove the opposite.

6.5 yards per attempt and 0 long passing plays by the Bucs made the Browns respect the passing game? Sure, Ok!

It was called the Bucs had a plan and stuck to it even if it wasn't working.

The Bucs averaged 3.04 YPC....maybe they should have quit running earlier too!

You miss the whole point. The strength of this team is running the football...just because it doesn't work very well at the beginning of the game doesn't mean you stop running the ball and throw your hands up and just go pass happy. Especially when you're in a close game.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 11:45 AM

What did Tampa do?

Gailey said when the run wasn't working , they tried to throw the ball but it came back due to penalties.

I agree that he should have gameplaned better especially when it came to running the ball. BUt I don't have a problem with him testing the passing game when running the ball wasn't working.

By your logic, it wasn't the coaches fault that the passing game failed. It was because of lack of talent to pull it off.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Here is a little tidbit from the Bills - http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/14/protection-and-design/

And it was Edwards said it. i wonder if he said anything to Gailey during the games. I just think it was quite obvious to everyone that the game plan and the adjustment really stunk against Miami and for a pride man Gailey, he felt it. If history is a guide, I predict the offense will look much better next week, even though it does not translate into a win.

better days
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Freeman has proven nothing and teams have no reason to be fearful of him. RJ Archer has a great arm too but nobody would be afraid of him if we started him suddenly.

Note: RJ Archer is a current FA QB formerly of William & Mary and camped with Minnesota.

I'm not saying teams need to fear Freeman...........yet. They do have to respect his ability to throw the ball however. That is the difference between him & Trent, teams do not have to worry about Trent even attempting to throw long.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Gailey said when the run wasn't working , they tried to throw the ball but it came back due to penalties.

I agree that he should have gameplaned better especially when it came to running the ball. BUt I don't have a problem with him testing the passing game when running the ball wasn't working.

By your logic, it wasn't the coaches fault that the passing game failed. It was because of lack of talent to pull it off.

Bingo.

The passing game failed because of lack of talent.

Lack of a QB to get the ball to people and lack of an OL to block for a QB.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying teams need to fear Freeman...........yet. They do have to respect his ability to throw the ball however. That is the difference between him & Trent, teams do not have to worry about Trent even attempting to throw long.

Who is going to respect an inexperienced guy with a broken thumb?

Yet Tampa continued to run the ball anyways.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Bingo.

The passing game failed because of lack of talent.

Lack of a QB to get the ball to people and lack of an OL to block for a QB.

so which is it, talent or coaching fault?

We have qb's who can get the ball to people but the coach made the decision to go with the one who is too chicken to do so.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
so which is it, talent or coaching fault?

It's the coaches fault for not tailoring a gameplan around the strength of the offense and if they did and just abandoned it, well then it's their fault for abandoning it.

It's the players fault for not executing whatever the gameplan turned into.

Regardless of what's called, the players still have to execute.

However the coach should still call plays tailored more around the strengths of the offense OR at least maintain some balance.

I will flat out guarantee you that we won't win any game only running the ball 14 times.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
It's the coaches fault for not tailoring a gameplan around the strength of the offense and if they did and just abandoned it, well then it's their fault for abandoning it.

It's the players fault for not executing whatever the gameplan turned into.

Regardless of what's called, the players still have to execute.

However the coach should still call plays tailored more around the strengths of the offense OR at least maintain some balance.

I will flat out guarantee you that we won't win any game only running the ball 14 times.

I agree. So it's both talent and coaching. Just like the last four years with both gameplanning and talent decision falling on Dicks head. . ;)

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree. So it's both talent and coaching. Just like the last four years with both gameplanning and talent decision falling on Dicks head. . ;)

I will tell you this much, if Dick Jauron was coaching Sunday, we would have had a better chance of winning. Mostly because we wouldn't have run the ball only 14 times.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I will tell you this much, if Dick Jauron was coaching Sunday, we would have had a better chance of winning. Mostly because we wouldn't have run the ball only 14 times.

LOL. He would have had the team practicing vs. the 4-3 :roflmao:

IF , if... Dick was so great why did the Giants hire Fewell and NOT Dick to be their DC?

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
LOL. He would have had the team practicing vs. the 4-3 :roflmao:

Yeah, something like that.

Either way he wouldn't have completely abandoned the running game.

Abandoning the running game is a big reason why we lost.

To be honest, that game Sunday should have been about 34-10.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, something like that.

Either way he wouldn't have completely abandoned the running game.

Abandoning the running game is a big reason why we lost.

To be honest, that game Sunday should have been about 34-10.

As bad a team team played last sunday, it didn't look as bad a any of the Cleveland games that Dick coached.

You are comparing Gaileys first game to Dicks years of being here. :rolleyes:

But come to think of it, Dick would have gotten Trent killed vs. the 3-4 and on IR :scratch:

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
As bad a team team played last sunday, it didn't look as bad a any of the Cleveland games that Dick coached.

You are comparing Gaileys first game to Dicks years of being here. :rolleyes:

But come to think of it, Dick would have gotten Trent killed vs. the 3-4 and on IR :scratch:

To be honest outside of the drive where Miami trotted out the prevent defense, the offense looked worse than the Cleveland game. Cleveland didn't trot out the prevent defense and allow Buffalo to score.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
To be honest outside of the drive where Miami trotted out the prevent defense, the offense looked worse than the Cleveland game. Cleveland didn't trot out the prevent defense and allow Buffalo to score.
the wysian logic, "If you take away...."you sound desperate.

Dick isn't as bad as you say he was which is why he's a db coach who didn't even get the nod as a HC in college.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 01:15 PM
the wysian logic, "If you take away...."you sound desperate.

Dick isn't as bad as you say he was which is why he's a db coach who didn't even get the nod as a HC in college.

Who said he wanted a job as a college HC?

It has nothing with wysian logic. Do you really think this team scores a TD if Miami doesn't play prevent and has a huge coverage breakdown?

We basically went out there with a college spread offense and tried to win.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
We basically went out there with a college spread offense and tried to win.

tried to win? Wow. With Dick we played not to lose.

We came close. We at least had a chance. With Dick it was over the minute we stepped on the field.

Please, you're the only Dick fan left and you're trying to compare 1 games to 4 years of having losing seasons.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
tried to win? Wow. With Dick we played not to lose.

We came close. We at least had a chance. With Dick it was over the minute we stepped on the field.

Please, you're the only Dick fan left and you're trying to compare 1 games to 4 years of having losing seasons.

Yes, because in that one game I saw an offense that looked worse than the Kay Stephenson led Bills.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, because in that one game I saw an offense that looked worse than the Kay Stephenson led Bills.

thats because you're wearing the Dick rose colored glasses. At least we had a chance. No one expected us to have that much of a chance. With Dick the game is over before it started.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
thats because you're wearing the Dick rose colored glasses. At least we had a chance. No one expected us to have that much of a chance. With Dick the game is over before it started.

It was?

That game was over when Ronnie Brown went in for a TD in the second quarter.

23 minutes of TOP

9 first downs.

166 yards of total offense.