PDA

View Full Version : Jump to Division I-A would only involve football

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-14-2003, 05:58 PM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- One of the most recognized black colleges in the country wants to move its football program to Division I-A.

Florida A&M, which has an enrollment of 12,463, submitted its application to the NCAA on Monday to formally move its football program from Division I-AA. No other historically black college is in Division I-A.

The school said the application will be considered when the NCAA Classification Committee meets in July. Florida A&M -- which hopes to move by the 2004 season -- said it expects an answer by Aug. 1.

Florida A&M has been in Division I-AA since the classification was created in 1978, the year the Rattlers won that level's first football national championship. The school also notified its conference, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, of its intentions.

The application makes the Rattlers ineligible for the 2003 Division I-AA playoffs. The MEAC will likely declare them ineligible for the 2003 conference football title.

The status of Florida A&M's other sports will be decided by the MEAC Council of Presidents.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0609/1565749.html