PDA

View Full Version : 3 afc east teams 3 QB's

Bufftp
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
After the first week of play I'm not sure who is worse, Trent, Henne, or Sanchez. I would rank them in this order,
Henne-bad and he had time.
Trent really bad but no time.
Sanchez possibly a bust

OpIv37
09-14-2010, 09:20 AM
I love seeing USC busts.

And when will the Bills and Jets learn that California QB's can't play in the ****storm of bad weather we have in the northeast?

TacklingDummy
09-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Makes me miss the days of Marino, Kelly, Eason, George, and O-Brien.

Ickybaluky
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
And when will the Bills and Jets learn that California QB's can't play in the ****storm of bad weather we have in the northeast?

So, you are saying you wouln't take Tom Brady, Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers on the Bills right now.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
So, you are saying you wouln't take Tom Brady, Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers on the Bills right now.

Brady is a stud. The Pats deserve every win they get.

BidsJr
09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

lol burn

kelly2reed4six
09-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I love seeing USC busts.

Just curious, does the "California QB" tag apply to QB's who grew up and played High School FB in CA, the QB who played College FB there, or either/or??

OpIv37
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Funny that you mention that. Brady played his college ball in Michigan. Romo played his in Illinois. So they at least got a taste of bad weather in college. Only Rodgers played college ball in California, like Losman, Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez.

I think it's pretty clear that when guys don't play in bad weather at the college level, it hurts them in the pros more often than not.

And yes, I know Losman transferred to Tulane, but the weather in Louisiana is still much nicer than the northeast, plus I believe Tulane plays some of their games in the Superdome.

OpIv37
09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Just curious, does the "California QB" tag apply to QB's who grew up and played High School FB in CA, the QB who played College FB there, or either/or??

see my post above- HS doesn't really matter but if they stay in good weather places like California or the South for college, they tend to be bothered by bad weather at the pro level.

psubills62
09-14-2010, 10:09 AM

I'd love them right now. But if Jauron had picked any of them? I have to imagine they'd be in the UFL if that had ever been the case.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
They all played very poorly IMO. I think Henne is in the best position to succeed however, that's not really saying much. It wouldn't shock me if all three guys QB rating is under 80, none of these teams make the playoffs and Edwards and/or Henne get pulled midway through the year. Sanchez might be the worst of the bunch right now, but no way the Jets pull him.

don137
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree that none of the three looked good. Sanchez has a great OL, solid running game and multiple weapons at WR. No excuse for him to look as bad as he does. I think he would of played worse that Trent on Sunday if he donned a Bills uniform.
Henne did not seem to have much pocket prescence either. He had all day and still misfired on multiple occassions. Marshall is a great possession receiver that will help Henne a lot.
I personally think all three will finish in the bottom tier of QBs at the end of the year.

Ickybaluky
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Funny that you mention that. Brady played his college ball in Michigan. Romo played his in Illinois. So they at least got a taste of bad weather in college. Only Rodgers played college ball in California, like Losman, Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez.

I think it's pretty clear that when guys don't play in bad weather at the college level, it hurts them in the pros more often than not.

And yes, I know Losman transferred to Tulane, but the weather in Louisiana is still much nicer than the northeast, plus I believe Tulane plays some of their games in the Superdome.

Yeah, OK. In that case, you have to include guys like Elway (Stanford) and Troy Aikman (UCLA). There are a myriad of others.

Do other warm-weather places apply? Why just Cali? What about guys like the Mannings, who played HS down south and college at Tennessee and Missippi? What about a guy like Brett Favre, who played his HS ball in Louisiana and college in Mississippi?

It has nothing to do with where the guy is from, it has to do with whether they can play.

Bulldog
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree that none of the three looked good. Sanchez has a great OL, solid running game and multiple weapons at WR. No excuse for him to look as bad as he does. I think he would of played worse that Trent on Sunday if he donned a Bills uniform.
Henne did not seem to have much pocket prescence either. He had all day and still misfired on multiple occassions. Marshall is a great possession receiver that will help Henne a lot.
I personally think all three will finish in the bottom tier of QBs at the end of the year.

Sanchez DID play worse than Trent did on Sunday. I think the Jets are in trouble and thought they were vastly overrated before the season started. They remind me of all those Redskin teams that signed everybody and their mother and couldn't win a damn thing. If Sanchez continues to struggle like he did last night, Ryan is in for a long year.

stuckincincy
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Brady is a stud. The Pats deserve every win they get.

Yep.

He dissected CIN's recently praised defense. As they say, the score (38 - 24...21 2nd half garbage points by Palmer et al) didn't reflect what really happened.

Historian
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Sanchez will learn as he goes, and he'll get better.

He has just what a struggling QB needs coming up:

A game against the Buffalo defense can be good for what ails ya!

OpIv37
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, OK. In that case, you have to include guys like Elway (Stanford) and Troy Aikman (UCLA). There are a myriad of others.

Do other warm-weather places apply? Why just Cali? What about guys like the Mannings, who played HS down south and college at Tennessee and Missippi? What about a guy like Brett Favre, who played his HS ball in Louisiana and college in Mississippi?

It has nothing to do with where the guy is from, it has to do with whether they can play.

Why just Cali? Cuz the Bills haven't drafted any QB's from down south. Also, at least places like Tennessee get somewhat cold and play more cold-weather opponents than California teams.

The last 3 QB's who have come to Buffalo from Cali have sucked, as has the most recent one to go to the NYJ. When you have several different coaching staffs in Buffalo and an entirely different team in the Jets, with the only common factor being California boys who haven't played in bad weather, and at least 2 of the four (Trent and Sanchez) having drastically worse stats in bad weather, there is a real problem there.

Yeah, 25 years ago Elway came out of Cali and played well in bad weather, as did Favre and Aikman 20 years ago. I came up with 4 examples in the last 10 years from just 2 teams. You had to go back 25 years to come up with 3 good ones.

Granted the sample size is probably too small to be statistically significant, but doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

TedMock
09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Not sure where many of them are originally from, but here's a list of the current QB's and where they played college...

(Player, College, Experience)

49ERS
Alex Smith, Utah, 6
David Carr, Fresno State, 9
Troy Smith, Ohio State, 4

RAIDERS
Jason Campbell, Auburn, 6
Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo, 5
Kyle Boller, California, 8

ARIZONA
Derek Anderson, Oregon State, 6
Max Hall, BYU, R
John Skelton, Fordham, R

ATLANTA
Matt Ryan, Boston College, 3
Chris Redman, Louisville, 8
John Parker Wilson, Alabama, 2

BALTIMORE
Joe Flacco, Delaware, 3
Marc Bulger, West Virginia, 10

BUFFALO
Trent Edwards, Stanford, 4
Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard, 5
Brian Brohm, Louisville 3

CAROLINA
Matt Moore, Oregon State, 4
Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame, R
Tony Pike, Cincinnati, R

CHICAGO
Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, 5
Todd Collins, Michigan, 16
Caleb Hanie, Colorado State, 3

CINCINNATI
Carson Palmer, Southern California, 8
Jordan Palmer, Texas El-Paso, 3
Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan, R

CLEVELAND
Jake Delhomme, Louisiana-Lafayette, 12
Seneca Wallace, Iowa State, 8
Colt McCoy, Texas, R

DALLAS
Tony Romo, Eastern Illinois, 8
Jon Kitna, Central Washington, 14
Stephen McGee, Texas A&M, 2

DENVER
Kyle Orton, Purdue, 6
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, 4
Tim Tebow, Florida, R

DETROIT
Matthew Stafford, Georgia, 2
Shaun Hill, Maryland, 9
Drew Stanton, Michigan State, 4

GREEN BAY
Aaron Rodgers, California, 6
Matt Flynn, Louisiana State, 3

HOUSTON
Matt Schaub, Virginia, 7
Dan Orlovsky, Connecticut, 6
Matt Leinart, Southern California, 5

INDIANAPOLIS
Peyton Manning, Tennessee, 13
Curtis Painter, Purdue, 2

JACKSONVILLE
David Garrard, East Carolina, 9
Luke McCown, Louisiana Tech, 7

KANSAS CITY
Matt Cassel, Southern California, 6
Brodie Croyle, Alabama, 5

MIAMI
Chad Henne, Michigan, 3
Chad Pennington, Marshall, 11
Tyler Thigpen, Coastal Carolina, 4

MINNESOTA
Brett Favre, Southern Mississippi, 20
Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State, 5

Joe Webb, Alabama-Birmingham, 1

NEW ENGLAND
Tom Brady, Michigan, 11
Brian Hoyer, Michigan State, 2

NEW ORLEANS
Drew Brees, Purdue, 10
Chase Daniel, Missouri, 2

NEW YORK GIANTS
Eli Manning, Mississippi, 7
Sage Rosenfels, Iowa State, 10

NEW YORK JETS
Mark Sanchez, Southern California, 2
Mark Brunell, Washington, 18
Kellen Clemens, Oregon, 5

PHILADELPHIA
Kevin Kolb, Houston, 4
Michael Vick, Virginia Tech, 9
Mike Kafka, Northwestern, R
PITTSBURGH
Dennis Dixon, Oregon, 3
Charlie Batch, Eastern Michigan, 13
Byron Leftwich, Marshall, 8
Ben Roethlisberger, Miami (Ohio), 7
(Suspended for first four games)

ST. LOUIS
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, R
A.J. Feeley, Oregon, 10
Thaddeus Lewis, Duke, R

SAN DIEGO
Philip Rivers, North Carolina State, 7
Billy Volek, Fresno State, 11
J.T. O'Sullivan, UC Davis, 8

SEATTLE
Matt Hasselbeck, Boston College, 12
Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson, 5
TAMPA BAY
Josh Freeman, Kansas State, 2
Josh Johnson, San Diego, 3
Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State, 2

TENNESSEE
Vince Young, Texas, 5
Kerry Collins, Penn State, 16
Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic, R

WASHINGTON
Donovan McNabb, Syracuse, 12
Rex Grossman, Florida, 8
John Beck, Brigham Young, 4

Syderick
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Carson Palmer came from Southern California and he's playing well in Cincinnati.

Ickybaluky
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah, 25 years ago Elway came out of Cali and played well in bad weather, as did Favre and Aikman 20 years ago. I came up with 4 examples in the last 10 years from just 2 teams. You had to go back 25 years to come up with 3 good ones.

Granted the sample size is probably too small to be statistically significant, but doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

There just aren't that many good QBs available. You can name a lot more that don't live up to expectations than do because so many more fail.

It is hard to find a good QB, but where they played in college is not relevant. The fact is, they can either play or not. They can suck in any kind of weather.