X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Here's a theory on Trent and the hurry up offense

I just posted a reply in Sal's thread, and it got me thinking. You can't argue that the Bills offense looked it's best when it ran the hurry up style offense vs Miami. Trent looked comfortable running it, and actually looked like a competent QB for 4 minutes of football.

Maybe running the hurry up is what Captain Sideburns needs. Maybe it gives him less time to think about it, and forces him to just throw the football. Maybe he's over-reading and over thinking at the LOS, and scares himself into checking down.

You can't argue that the hurry up offense worked well vs Miami. If I was Gailey, I'd try it early vs Green Bay, and stay with it until they stopped it. Coaching in the NFL is simple, yet complicated. If you find something that a D can't stop, don't stop running it until they do stop it.

Again, I want to re-iterate that I'm not talking about that garbage "no-huddle" they ran last year. I'm talking about a 2 minute drill, hurry up offense that takes defenses completely out of their ability to blitz the QB, and forces them into a softer, beatable Defensive scheme.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Here's a theory on Trent and the hurry up offense

If we keep running the no huddle, teams will start gameplanning for that and then Trent will start to panic again. It only worked because the fins weren't expecting it.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
      I just posted a reply in Sal's thread, and it got me thinking. You can't argue that the Bills offense looked it's best when it ran the hurry up style offense vs Miami. Trent looked comfortable running it, and actually looked like a competent QB for 4 minutes of football.

Maybe running the hurry up is what Captain Sideburns needs. Maybe it gives him less time to think about it, and forces him to just throw the football. Maybe he's over-reading and over thinking at the LOS, and scares himself into checking down.

You can't argue that the hurry up offense worked well vs Miami. If I was Gailey, I'd try it early vs Green Bay, and stay with it until they stopped it. Coaching in the NFL is simple, yet complicated. If you find something that a D can't stop, don't stop running it until they do stop it.

Again, I want to re-iterate that I'm not talking about that garbage "no-huddle" they ran last year. I'm talking about a 2 minute drill, hurry up offense that takes defenses completely out of their ability to blitz the QB, and forces them into a softer, beatable Defensive scheme.
      Miami was playing prevent and making sure Trent didn't hook up with Lee. Once we scored the TD they went back to playing real defense and shut down Trent again.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

Trent succeeded because Miami was trying to keep everything in front of them. He wasn't really more successful with a wider array of decisions. he was still just dumping off on 5-8 yard passes.

The roscoe throw was the only one that really covered some ground.

I think they need to show run early, and get some play action in there and reverses to keep defenses from t-ing off. then take some shots down the field.

I think this west coast type of short passes early doesn't work.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
          Trent succeeded because Miami was trying to keep everything in front of them. He wasn't really more successful with a wider array of decisions. he was still just dumping off on 5-8 yard passes.

The roscoe throw was the only one that really covered some ground.

I think they need to show run early, and get some play action in there and reverses to keep defenses from t-ing off. then take some shots down the field.

I think this west coast type of short passes early doesn't work.
          That's what I don't understand. We have Captain Checkdown who won't look downfield or go through his progressions. You'd think a quick slant would be his kind of play. Hike, look, throw. I don't know why the Bills can't make it work- maybe because Trent thinks it's Look, Look, Hike, Look, Pat the ball, throw.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Coach Sal
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
            ...Maybe it gives him less time to think about it, and forces him to just throw the football. Maybe he's over-reading and over thinking at the LOS, and scares himself into checking down....
            I think there's something to be said for this.

Trent's always seemed to be at his best when things are in rhythym. That goes for his whole career. I know most QBs are, but it may be true that he's better when he doesn't have to think too much because he OVER THINKS.

The dude went to Stanford and was the QB he was throughout HS and college (even though his team sucked and he wasn't great) probably more because he was smarter than others than because he was more talented.

That doesn't matter as much in the NFL. It's nice to be smarter, but if that talent level isn't good enough, it won't matter, because NFL defenses and the speed of the game and talent level of the players is so much further ahead of the college game.

Guys like Trent - with smarts but not good talent - can't just get by on their brains anymore.
            Last edited by Coach Sal; 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM.
            Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
            And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i am guessing the slant doesn't work for Trent because you are throwing the ball to a spot more so than an open player. if he reads it wrong, he's definitely laying up a pass into a lb's arms.

it should be used. the ball needs to come out fast when our OL is pass blocking. it needs to come out fast because trent isn't much of a decision maker these days. He doesn't look at the entire field. Perhaps they need him in shot gun some more to give him an extra second.

they should also roll him out some more. he looked most comfortable scanning the field when on the run.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                That's what I don't understand. We have Captain Checkdown who won't look downfield or go through his progressions. You'd think a quick slant would be his kind of play. Hike, look, throw. I don't know why the Bills can't make it work- maybe because Trent thinks it's Look, Look, Hike, Look, Pat the ball, throw.
                Trent hates throwing the slant because he is afraid of a LB buzzing and taking it back for 6. He also doesn't have a high release so it's not a throw that suits him.

Not many throws do suit him which is why I couldn't stand him from the day we drafted him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

It seems like Trent pretends to look down field but already know he's gonna dink it anyways.

If you watched the Chargers game last night, when Rivers made his throws his targets weren't open but got open by the time the ball got there. Trent needs to see his targets open right at the snap before he pulls the trigger.

To Trents defense , he tried to go to Lee when Lee wasn't open and Lee didn't get an interference call. I would keep doing that because it might get a flag or a completion. Instead he would rather take a chance with Nelson just like his last throw. How stupid was that?Talk about gutless.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

What I want to know is, what happened to the 10-15 yard in routes that I saw so much of in the preseason? Those routes were ran non-stop by Miami on Sunday and have been for years in Arizona with Fitz and Bolden....We don't have these big receivers that are going to out jump anyone. We have little fast guys, let them use their speed and force the corners to chase them across the field, I don't think I saw but one of those routes the whole day.

Sorry, that was a rant. I can't believe how much I hate Edwards these days, he's turned into a younger looking Kelly Holcombe. If the #1 guy is covered, hurry up and dump it off. Granted he doesn't have much time, but come on.

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

I'm going to say this right now. Edwards might have gone to Stanford but I don't think he's all that bright.

I think his football IQ is very low. I think he has alot of talent but when it comes to it translating on the field it's not there.

Everybody wants to blame the concussion but it had everything to do with the o-line those first 6 games. After we started getting injuries on it than his play dropped down. He is a pocket passer only. He cannot think on the fly.

I am not a Fitzpatrick fan but I think the offense will operate better with him behind center.

The o-line is going to struggle all year and Edwards is just going to disappoint everyone on this board.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        I'm going to say this right now. Edwards might have gone to Stanford but I don't think he's all that bright.

I think his football IQ is very low. I think he has alot of talent but when it comes to it translating on the field it's not there.

Everybody wants to blame the concussion but it had everything to do with the o-line those first 6 games. After we started getting injuries on it than his play dropped down. He is a pocket passer only. He cannot think on the fly.

I am not a Fitzpatrick fan but I think the offense will operate better with him behind center.

The o-line is going to struggle all year and Edwards is just going to disappoint everyone on this board.
                        Im gonna disagree with you here, I think his Football IQ is extradordinarily high. He knows what to look for and he sees it. The issue with Trent is that he doesnt want to make a mistake, so he holds the ball, he waits too long for throws and lets the D close on them.

Edwards is thinking too much out there.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                          I think there's something to be said for this.

Trent's always seemed to be at his best when things are in rhythym. That goes for his whole career. I know most QBs are, but it may be true that he's better when he doesn't have to think too much because he OVER THINKS.

The dude went to Stanford and was the QB he was throughout HS and college (even though his team sucked and he wasn't great) probably more because he was smarter than others than because he was more talented.

That doesn't matter as much in the NFL. It's nice to be smarter, but if that talent level isn't good enough, it won't matter, because NFL defenses and the speed of the game and talent level of the players is so much further ahead of the college game.

Guys like Trent - with smarts but not good talent - can't just get by on their brains anymore.

Nail on head, Trent was the same QB in college that he was in HS, and he's the same QB now. A good backup option imo, but not a starter.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            Im gonna disagree with you here, I think his Football IQ is extradordinarily high. He knows what to look for and he sees it. The issue with Trent is that he doesnt want to make a mistake, so he holds the ball, he waits too long for throws and lets the D close on them.

Edwards is thinking too much out there.
                            Every indication is that he is a football genius....

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              Every indication is that he is a football genius....
                              Football IQ does not always translate to being a great player, see Jason Garrett who has incredible Football IQ but just wasnt a good QB.

People who assume having a high Football IQ means you will play well are making a huge logical leap. Just like being the most athletic player doesn't make you the best.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X