Edwards blames coach's schemes for loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Edwards blames coach's schemes for loss?

FYI:

While the brunt of the criticism for the Bills has been aimed at Trent Edwards and to a lesser degree Chan Gailey, it’s interesting to note what they both feel will solve some of the problems the team experienced on offense in Week 1.

Bills head coach Chan Gailey after Sunday’s game commented on his dissatisfaction with the way he designed the run game scheme for the Dolphins. And Trent Edwards followed that up with respect to the protections when asked about the penetration that Miami got on Sunday.

“I think we just need to try to fix our schemes,” said Edwards. ”If we need to run a little more inside or outside or a little more play-action to just try to keep guys off balance a little more. I think we got a little bit predictable just with the situation we were in. If we can find a way to just change things up and change some calls up here and there, not allow that penetration, I think if you do get them on their heels that means you’re gashing them with plays here and there.”

With a direct line of communication between himself and the head coach Edwards will likely express the same to Gailey as he did to the media. I’m expecting the run game to be more effective than it was last week. The task for the offense overall however, gets no easier this week against a formidable Packers 3-4 defense.

• Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Edwards blames coach's schemes for loss?

Trent should try throwing the ***** football more than 10 yards down field.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

He should take some of his own advice and keep the defense honest by testing the safeties every once and a while. Bell could of taken a nap while in coverage all game long.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

Trent is looking into politics after football. this was the right answer for that line of work. deflect and continue getting paid. Now all he has to do is get some scrub from stanford signed and paid for by the fans.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

1) I am not Chris Brown and I did not write the article.

2) I do find it funny that Edwards called out the schemes and used the word "predictable".

3) Edwards didn't do Gailey any favors with his play on the field.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Is it any wonder why this guy is a complete failure as a QB in the NFL? He doesn't even understand that HE is the biggest problem with the offense. Every year he acts like it's somebody else's fault...well, when he is the only constant through all of the offensive struggles, then I think it's pretty clear what the problem is.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
              • Dec 2002

I totally agree with him on utilizing the play action more...being that as it may, I don't have the confidence in Edwards making the play work.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                • Aug 2002

Run the ball more??? Predictable? Fix schemes? You're going to run the ball with 8 - 11 in the box? Seriously? You were given 34 chances Sunday to make a play. You rifled screen passes, missed your hot reads, missed adjustments, scrambled into areas where you would get hit, and you need a change of schemes?? How about a change of scenery.

Sounds like what he's saying is, as long as I don't have to be counted on to make plays, things will be better. How pathetic, Gailey takes one for the team and Edwards runs with it to deflect his own short comings.
                I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                  Run the ball more??? Predictable? Fix schemes? You're going to run the ball with 8 - 11 in the box? Seriously? You were given 34 chances Sunday to make a play. You rifled screen passes, missed your hot reads, missed adjustments, scrambled into areas where you would get hit, and you need a change of schemes?? How about a change of scenery.

Sounds like what he's saying is, as long as I don't have to be counted on to make plays, things will be better. How pathetic, Gailey takes one for the team and Edwards runs with it to deflect his own short comings.
                  That's it. Not that Trent wasn't right in what he said, but anybody with 1/2 of a brain would have said Miami was going to gameplan around our running game, and make Edwards beat them. We gameplanned around Miami's run game and made Henne beat us, which was effective. Given twice the plays, they only mustered 13 points. With the TOP they had, that is an extreme disappointment....much like the TOP they had.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

Fact: Edwards was one of the biggest advocates for keeping Dick Jauron around.

Speculation: he's still bitter about that.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

This is perfect! I hope Trent continues to criticize Gailey and gets himself benched.

Comment

• Buckets
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                        Is it any wonder why this guy is a complete failure as a QB in the NFL? He doesn't even understand that HE is the biggest problem with the offense. Every year he acts like it's somebody else's fault...well, when he is the only constant through all of the offensive struggles, then I think it's pretty clear what the problem is.
                        I couldn't have said it better.

Comment

• BAM
                          • Sep 2003

I am so sick of Trent the Senator Edwards.

Trentator Edwards?

I wish he would just go away.

Comment

• JD
                            Sabres Zone
                            • Sep 2003

Here's an idea.. HAVE ONE STARTING RUNNING BACK, not THREE!

Put the running game solely in Spillers hands. Swap Jackson/Lynch in and out.

Taa Daaaa
                            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              FYI:

While the brunt of the criticism for the Bills has been aimed at Trent Edwards and to a lesser degree Chan Gailey, it’s interesting to note what they both feel will solve some of the problems the team experienced on offense in Week 1.

Bills head coach Chan Gailey after Sunday’s game commented on his dissatisfaction with the way he designed the run game scheme for the Dolphins. And Trent Edwards followed that up with respect to the protections when asked about the penetration that Miami got on Sunday.

“I think we just need to try to fix our schemes,” said Edwards. ”If we need to run a little more inside or outside or a little more play-action to just try to keep guys off balance a little more. I think we got a little bit predictable just with the situation we were in. If we can find a way to just change things up and change some calls up here and there, not allow that penetration, I think if you do get them on their heels that means you’re gashing them with plays here and there.”

With a direct line of communication between himself and the head coach Edwards will likely express the same to Gailey as he did to the media. I’m expecting the run game to be more effective than it was last week. The task for the offense overall however, gets no easier this week against a formidable Packers 3-4 defense.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/0...on-and-design/
                              Edwards in a way was right, the offense was predictable. Every defense in the NFL knows if you rattle Trent, the game is pretty much in your hands. Where Edwards was wrong is that it wasn't the scheme that was the problem. It was the poor execution of that scheme that was the problem and it starts with the QB. These are all facts that don't need a comment from Trent to be noticed. JMO

Comment

Working...
                              X