PDA

View Full Version : Evans tries, but fails to hide frustration

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Lee Evans, the veteran wide receiver, wasn't quite so kind. Evans, asked about the lack of throws down the field Sunday, said the coaches called several deep throws. He said "most" of the plays on the final series were supposed to be down the field.

"We called some shots," said Evans. "We didn't always take them, for whatever reason."

Evans used that phrase more than once. "For whatever reason," deep balls are called but not attempted. Some of it, no doubt, is the abysmal pass protection. But we've been down this road before. Last season, Evans and Terrell Owens both said Edwards needed to take more shots downfield and trust his receivers.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article189585.ece

THATHURMANATOR
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Good. Why should he hide it???

ddaryl
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
this sounds like a brok.... this sounds like a brok.... this sound like a brok...

(slams the side of post machine) .... sounds like a broken record

better days
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Lee Evans, the veteran wide receiver, wasn't quite so kind. Evans, asked about the lack of throws down the field Sunday, said the coaches called several deep throws. He said "most" of the plays on the final series were supposed to be down the field.

"We called some shots," said Evans. "We didn't always take them, for whatever reason."

Evans used that phrase more than once. "For whatever reason," deep balls are called but not attempted. Some of it, no doubt, is the abysmal pass protection. But we've been down this road before. Last season, Evans and Terrell Owens both said Edwards needed to take more shots downfield and trust his receivers.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article189585.ece

This is what I said in the Hey Pat thread. Chan called for the deep ball but Trent kept checking down.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
It's understandable that Evans isn't a big Edwards advocate. His production has suffered since Edwards arrived in Buffalo. In the 33 games with Edwards at quarterback, Evans has 105 catches for 1,560 yards and seven touchdowns. In 69 games with other QBs, he has 235 catches for 3,796 yards and 32 TDs. Draw your own conclusions.

ServoBillieves
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
If you throw it deep to Lee at least three times a game, a 50+ yard reception WILL happen.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:24 PM
That's roughly one TD every five games with Edwards, one TD every two games when someone else is throwing the ball. Four times in his career, Edwards has been knocked out of a game with an injury. In three of them, his replacement threw a TD pass to Evans.

ServoBillieves
09-14-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d801bc8af/Lee-Evans-Highlight-WK-09-vs-Packers-2006

ChristopherWalken
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Where's HH's comment on this one?

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Where's HH's comment on this one?

he can't read my posts/threads.

trapezeus
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
"for whatever reason" = "because Trent doesn't trust us."

Even the drama that surrounds the team is boring.

Edwards gets until the bye week to show progress. and then when he fails, you play him some more just simply to teach him a lesson and to pound the losses into the team.

I don't want any fake wins where we win by default with Fitz. I want us to get the QB we want. I don't want another year of "why did they draft that guy". I want a year of, "oh my god, i can't believe we drafted that guy, things are cha-cha-cha-changing.

TMu11
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
As much as I repect Lee for staying quiet throughout all the discontent, I really wish sometimes he would speak his mind. The squeaky wheel gets the grease... right? Oh.. not with the Bills...

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
"for whatever reason" = "because Trent doesn't trust us."

Even the drama that surrounds the team is boring.

Edwards gets until the bye week to show progress. and then when he fails, you play him some more just simply to teach him a lesson and to pound the losses into the team.

bye week? He gets till the gb game.

trapezeus
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Whatever, do you really want fitz-y winning you just enough games for the brain trust to select another BPA running back in the drafT?

I don't. this team needs to suck and suck hard. it's the only way since they refuse to trade for or sign free agents.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Whatever, do you really want fitz-y winning you just enough games for the brain trust to select another BPA running back in the drafT?

I don't. this team needs to suck and suck hard. it's the only way since they refuse to trade for or sign free agents.

so why continue to have trent back there if he sucks? So the rest of the team can suffer? There are other players who still want to play. If I were a player I would still want to at least try to win.

if I want to at least have a midly amusing season, I won't go with Trent. I still want to be entertained. The way Trent played , I'd rather watch something else on sunday.

I already know Trent is not going to be the qb that can take us to the sb. I might as well see what Brohm can do and like I said, with a qb who WILL throw the ball, you can gauge your wr's and plan for the furture.

trapezeus
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
you've famously said you'd trust what the coaches think. I trust that Brohm is significantly worse than Edwards. I think this line is still a huge problem. it's not like edwards is Sanchez with tons of time and not doing well. he seems rattled by having very little time one snap and then enough time the next snap.

This will effect all 3 QB's. I really don't think Fitz or Brohm is going to make the games that much more "exciting".

I hear what you are saying. the team is boring and it sucks to write them off now. But can you deal watching them hang on and not lose 7 games this season?

If the defense can show that it simply needs some depth on the line and LB or two, i'll be happy with this season. it'll mean we can really buckle down on O in the draft.

justasportsfan
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
you've famously said you'd trust what the coaches think. I trust that Brohm is significantly worse than Edwards. I think this line is still a huge problem. it's not like edwards is Sanchez with tons of time and not doing well. he seems rattled by having very little time one snap and then enough time the next snap.

This will effect all 3 QB's. I really don't think Fitz or Brohm is going to make the games that much more "exciting".

I hear what you are saying. the team is boring and it sucks to write them off now. But can you deal watching them hang on and not lose 7 games this season?

If the defense can show that it simply needs some depth on the line and LB or two, i'll be happy with this season. it'll mean we can really buckle down on O in the draft.

famously said? Uh, I hate what Dick says. With Gailey, it's giving him the benefit of the doubt just like I gave every coach . I never claimed him to be BB and that he is infallible.

Gailey most likely see's Trent as being more intellectually smarter than the other qb's after meeting and working with them for the first time. But I have a feeling Gailey will see what Fewell and AVP saw in Trent IN TIME.

NO, play to win. Let the future take care of itself.

malo
09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Good for Lee.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey Lee, if you want a trade then say it. Stop *****ing or request a trade.

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey Lee, if you want a trade then say it. Stop *****ing or request a trade.

Who's gonna trade for a 9 million dollar WR who only runs fly patterns?

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Who's gonna trade for a 9 million dollar WR who only runs fly patterns?

Well then he should keep his mouth shut. He's getting paid 9 mils to block. His *****ing to the media won't help this team, he should go to Gailey personally if he's got beef with Trent and/or the play calls.

trapezeus
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
the same teams that were going to give up a 2nd rounder for Lynch with one screw up away from missing a year.

the same teams willing to give us a starting LT for a bag of chips.

some fans believe these teams are out there.

Night Train
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
He should be pissed.

He's been shorted an actual NFL QB his whole tenure in Buffalo.

If he was drafted by Indy, he'd be a 5 time All-Pro.

Mad Max
09-14-2010, 04:49 PM
bye week? He gets till the gb game.

Half time. We'll be down by three touches by then, and so shall begin the Brian Brohm era. Show those brat munchers what they gave away!
:box:

dannyek71
09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Trade Evans to a contender. Get a 2nd for him. He is useless in this offense.

Turf
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I really don't think Brohm could be much worse, or Fitz. Fitz outplayed Edwards last year anyways..

Novacane
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
:bf1: Evans! I am glad he is seeing the same thing we are. Actually gives me a little hope pretty boy may be benched soon!

Dr. Pepper
09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Well then he should keep his mouth shut. He's getting paid 9 mils to block. His *****ing to the media won't help this team, he should go to Gailey personally if he's got beef with Trent and/or the play calls.

*****ing to the media? what article did you read? or didnt you read it? :wtf:

Mr. Pink
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
He should be pissed.

He's been shorted an actual NFL QB his whole tenure in Buffalo.

If he was drafted by Indy, he'd be a 5 time All-Pro.

If he was drafted by Indy, up until last year he'd have been catching 30 balls a year behind Wayne and Harrison.

Oh yeah and that Dallas Clark guy.

Mad Max
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
If he was drafted by Indy, up until last year he'd have been catching 30 balls a year behind Wayne and Harrison.

Oh yeah and that Dallas Clark guy.

Correct. He'd at best be equal to Anthony (don't call me Tony) Gonzales.