PDA

View Full Version : The Old K-Gun

Beebe's Kid
09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Thinking of the success this team showed with the no-huddle on Sunday, it is hard not to reminisce. Also making it hard were all of the ancient highlights of yesteryear that were posted in anticipation of the start of the season.

I am nostalgic, and hold the past in as high of a regard as anybody. I am a baseball fan, and that goes with the territory, or so I'm told. I feel that way about the Bills as well.

Kelly and Co. were the best experiences I have ever had watching football...same for many of us, but it ****ing blows that we are all still clinging to the teams from 20 years ago...I can't believe it is that long ago. Why? Probably has something to do with the **** sandwich we have been eating since then.

Peyton Manning has recognized Kelly's skill at calling the play at the the line, and has given him credit as his influence. That is high praise. I sometimes think Kelly doesn't get his due, because I never hear him in the discussion for best QB's ever, or even of his day. What he did was revolutionary. We not only won, we were treated to a ****ing "don't blink or you'll miss it" all out assault on offense.

Although Sunday's game was a real barn-burner, we did show some promise with the no-huddle. At least the people in my section couldn't sit down. I was getting that hope that I get, usually only kicked in my nuts by Trent's fulfillment of his obvious mission to ruin my life...or my Sunday afternoons anyway.

Getting to my point...a day doesn't pass where somebody on this board talks about us finding the "next Jimbo," and no season passes without getting Kelly's take on the obvious void at QB (minus Flutie, albeit to a far lesser degree, in my eyes.) Drew was good, but wasn't going to win, and didn't. Then we all know the tale, all too well.

Kelly is never shy and always has a take on the situation, such as last years endorsement of Tebow, and the damnation of the dreaded California QB. He also has a job with this team, in some capacity, although I am not sure exactly what that is.

Where is Jim now? A guy that had a set of brass nuts and made throws that others wouldn't dare to...a guy that ran for the first or TD with reckless abandon for his body...a QB that ran the most exciting offense I have ever seen...the guy that isn't shy to share his "wisdom" (quoted for the debatable nature.)

Kelly even made an endorsement of Edwards during TC.

Why wouldn't we enlist his services to work with Trent and maybe help us turn the corner here? A little help with the hurry up, and we may just be a dangerous team again.

Evans, Parrish, and Spiller are three guys that can change the game in an instant with a lapse in coverage, which is exactly what the hurry-up helps us achieve.

I know we have been talking about this today, and that some feel Miami gave us that score because the went to prevent...let's just agree to disagree. We moved the ball, and we moved it well. The ONLY series of the game. If we aren't seriously considering this, maybe not full time, but sure as **** for more than one series a game, we are crazy.

I was having a hard time accepting the 3-4 argument...it is mighty hard to deny that now. With the exception of that drive, we have been more than pathetic against it. The entire division runs it. We switched because Gailey said it was hard to plan against...obviously.

We've got nothing to lose, and we have the master of the no-huddle around the organization.

Worst thing that happens is we suck out and lose, and end up with the pick everyone wants. I would just rather go down swinging, as opposed to seeing the **** storm that was on the turf on Sunday. Holy ****...I can't really take much more. It was sometime in the 3rd Qtr...as Morman fired off a pathetic looking punt, I just said, head in hands, "I just want my money back."

I don't want my money back, I just want something/anything to cheer for. If we get our dicks handed to us all year, at least let's score some points, let me see Spiller run wild...let me see a god damned skinny post up the seam!!!

YardRat
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
You can't teach heart and desire.

Mad Max
09-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Why wouldn't we enlist his services to work with Trent and maybe help us turn the corner here? A little help with the hurry up, and we may just be a dangerous team again.

Alchemy never succeeded in turning Lead into Gold. Trent is one of the lead anchors around this team.

Could bringing Kelly in hurt? No, it's worth a shot, but it could get uglier, in a no huddle O decisions gotta be quick, the QB is going to have less protection, and you should have a decent TE...which we don't.

Mad Max
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Look what I found. A treasure for X and O junkies!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2944874/1994-Buffalo-Bills-K-Gyn-Offense-Marv-Levy

Zero
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Thinking of the success this team showed with the no-huddle on Sunday, it is hard not to reminisce. Also making it hard were all of the ancient highlights of yesteryear that were posted in anticipation of the start of the season.

I am nostalgic, and hold the past in as high of a regard as anybody. I am a baseball fan, and that goes with the territory, or so I'm told. I feel that way about the Bills as well.

Kelly and Co. were the best experiences I have ever had watching football...same for many of us, but it ****ing blows that we are all still clinging to the teams from 20 years ago...I can't believe it is that long ago. Why? Probably has something to do with the **** sandwich we have been eating since then.

Peyton Manning has recognized Kelly's skill at calling the play at the the line, and has given him credit as his influence. That is high praise. I sometimes think Kelly doesn't get his due, because I never hear him in the discussion for best QB's ever, or even of his day. What he did was revolutionary. We not only won, we were treated to a ****ing "don't blink or you'll miss it" all out assault on offense.

Although Sunday's game was a real barn-burner, we did show some promise with the no-huddle. At least the people in my section couldn't sit down. I was getting that hope that I get, usually only kicked in my nuts by Trent's fulfillment of his obvious mission to ruin my life...or my Sunday afternoons anyway.

Getting to my point...a day doesn't pass where somebody on this board talks about us finding the "next Jimbo," and no season passes without getting Kelly's take on the obvious void at QB (minus Flutie, albeit to a far lesser degree, in my eyes.) Drew was good, but wasn't going to win, and didn't. Then we all know the tale, all too well.

Kelly is never shy and always has a take on the situation, such as last years endorsement of Tebow, and the damnation of the dreaded California QB. He also has a job with this team, in some capacity, although I am not sure exactly what that is.

Where is Jim now? A guy that had a set of brass nuts and made throws that others wouldn't dare to...a guy that ran for the first or TD with reckless abandon for his body...a QB that ran the most exciting offense I have ever seen...the guy that isn't shy to share his "wisdom" (quoted for the debatable nature.)

Kelly even made an endorsement of Edwards during TC.

Evans, Parrish, and Spiller are three guys that can change the game in an instant with a lapse in coverage, which is exactly what the hurry-up helps us achieve.

I know we have been talking about this today, and that some feel Miami gave us that score because the went to prevent...let's just agree to disagree. We moved the ball, and we moved it well. The ONLY series of the game. If we aren't seriously considering this, maybe not full time, but sure as **** for more than one series a game, we are crazy.

I was having a hard time accepting the 3-4 argument...it is mighty hard to deny that now. With the exception of that drive, we have been more than pathetic against it. The entire division runs it. We switched because Gailey said it was hard to plan against...obviously.

We've got nothing to lose, and we have the master of the no-huddle around the organization.

Worst thing that happens is we suck out and lose, and end up with the pick everyone wants. I would just rather go down swinging, as opposed to seeing the **** storm that was on the turf on Sunday. Holy ****...I can't really take much more. It was sometime in the 3rd Qtr...as Morman fired off a pathetic looking punt, I just said, head in hands, "I just want my money back."

I don't want my money back, I just want something/anything to cheer for. If we get our dicks handed to us all year, at least let's score some points, let me see Spiller run wild...let me see a god damned skinny post up the seam!!!

What's funny is that I remember Kelly getting booed in Buffalo at the old Auditorium back in '96 when I was in college. At the time I thought it was odd; to boo a player that was instrumental in getting the Bills to 4 straight SB appearances.

Now it seems Kelly is revered in the WNY area and the Bills havent seen a QB with half his talent since he left. It just goes to show: sometimes you dont appreciate how good you had it until its gone.

JD
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Why the **** was he boo'd? Thats ridiculous.

Zero
09-14-2010, 09:13 PM

I have no idea. It was at UFC 7 in downtown Buffalo. They announced Jimbo was in attendance and the crowd booed the **** out of him..

Beebe's Kid
09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Look what I found. A treasure for X and O junkies!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2944874/1994-Buffalo-Bills-K-Gyn-Offense-Marv-Levy

That's pretty ****ing cool.

I also don't mean bring him in as a coach, when everybody else is practicing, Trent needs to be with the team.

I mean when Trent is hanging in his sister's basement reading US Weekly and Teen.

An old school "under the wing" kind of thing.

I agree Yardie, you can't teach heart and desire. I know it may look like Trent has none, but from listening to Chan earlier in TC, I think what Trent is lacking is self-confidence.

Think about it. Brady has dated two supermodels, and has the world by the balls. Trent is, arguably, as good looking as Brady if not better, and he is a QB in the NFL. Albeit he doesn't have a Super Bowl, but that doesn't matter too much to the models, I'm sure. Who is he hooking up with? Nobody, he lives with his sister, or so I remember the joke being last year. Really? Why not chase some super model muff around while your still in the league? Scared to go for it, that's why. Brady went for it and got it. Trent won't go.

Kelly never suffered in the self-confidence, and they both happen to have held the same job, which has only been held by a small group of men, well mostly.

There is definitely some tactical stuff, but Kelly could teach him a little (forgive me) swagger. It just seems odd for me that with the organization and city still so in love with Kelly, (probably the most popular jersey on Sundays,) it just seems kind of sad that while our QB's flounder he wouldn't, at least offer a little advice. Even Joe Willie showed up at the Jets camp...rumor had it Sanchez wasn't very receptive, but what do you want from him, he is a true franchise QB, way more than Namath was...

It is an idea, because I think this no huddle thing has some legs.

Beebe's Kid
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I have no idea. It was at UFC 5 in downtown Buffalo. They announced Jimbo was in attendance and the crowd booed the **** out of him..

UFC-guy, you stay classy.

Kelly probably looked at them, and the rhinestone Tap-Out belt buckles, steroid acne, and flat brimmed hats and considered the source.

I do not recall there ever being a Jimbo booing at the Ralph. I know there are good people that like UFC, I can't really think of any, but I am sure that it is not all d-bags. I'm sure there are lots of good-hearted, respectable, contributing members of society that love to attend a bare-chested fist fight in a cage, but there may be some people that are maybe uber aggressive, and filled to the gills with HGH and malt-liquor, that would be able to separate reality from fiction and would see it fit to boo Kelly...

I wish I was being sarcastic about good people going to UFC, but that is what entertainment is now in this desensitized, over-the-top, steaming cesspool of a country. I'm sure the night was topped off with 100 arrests around town at the bars afterward.

Joe Fo Sho
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Kelly probably looked at them, and the rhinestone Tap-Out belt buckles, steroid acne, and flat brimmed hats and considered the source.

I do not recall there ever being a Jimbo booing at the Ralph. I know there are good people that like UFC, I can't really think of any, but I am sure that it is not all d-bags. I'm sure there are lots of good-hearted, respectable, contributing members of society that love to attend a bare-chested fist fight in a cage, but there may be some people that are maybe uber aggressive, and filled to the gills with HGH and malt-liquor, that would be able to separate reality from fiction and would see it fit to boo Kelly...

I wish I was being sarcastic about good people going to UFC, but that is what entertainment is now in this desensitized, over-the-top, steaming cesspool of a country. I'm sure the night was topped off with 100 arrests around town at the bars afterward.

Well Jimbo was there...

Ingtar33
09-14-2010, 09:57 PM

You might be too young to remember... but Jimbo was basically forced to retire by the idiot fans in buffalo begging for todd ****** collins to take over for him.

and yes.. the fans in buffalo toward the end of his career did boo jimbo.

Mad Max
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
You might be too young to remember... but Jimbo was basically forced to retire by the idiot fans in buffalo begging for todd ****** collins to take over for him.

and yes.. the fans in buffalo toward the end of his career did boo jimbo.

You know what though, that happens everywhere with all the greats. Almost noone leaves while they have something left (ala Sanders or Robert Smith), they almost all linger long past their expiration date and therefore are resented by the fans.

It's not people hating the player...just his game.

Zero
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah you don't sound ignorant, close-minded, pompous or arrogant with your prejudicial statements whereby you pass judgement on the fans of the UFC. Bare-chested fist fight? Have you ever WATCHED a UFC fight? Its a safer sport than boxing.
Has it occured to you that there are people that view football as being equally barberic?

To each his own, I guess, but passing judgement on people the way you just did will do little to improve the state of this country as you described.

Beautiful East
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Nope, UFC-Fans are almost exclusively loving Daddies on their family night off. When they're with wife and kids they go see something family-friendly like WWE...

Jan Reimers
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
That may have been when Jimbo was starting a restaurant/club, but aborted it and left many small contractors and vendors twisting in the wind.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2010, 01:08 PM
And y'all know that the K-gun was named after Keith McKellar, right?

Throne Logic
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
And y'all know that the K-gun was named after Keith McKellar, right?

Heh. I would have loved to have asked that question outright without hints to see how many of us would actually have gotten it right...