PDA

View Full Version : Is a Loss Progress If Sunday Is Competitive?

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Say we put up 24 points. 3 offensive TDs. But lose to Packers 31-24. Is that Progress or still PATHETIC BUFFALO?

Mahdi
09-15-2010, 07:37 AM
That would be a miracle. I honestly believe our D has a better chance of scoring 3 TDs.

ddaryl
09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
I'd be happy to see a shoot out... I miss fun offense

OpIv37
09-15-2010, 07:41 AM
A loss is never progress.... but if we can show some ability to move the ball and score, it would make me feel better for the rest of the season.

billsfanryan
09-15-2010, 07:46 AM
I still want a win but progress to me if we lost would be this:

RUN THE G. DAMN BALL

I want to see trent take a shot or 2 down the field like he did in preseason.

but mainly I want to see us RUN THE G.D. BALL like we heard we would be doing and trying to establish and how Gailey believes in running the rock.

Saratoga Slim
09-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Never happy with a loss, but I'd say yes, scoring 24 points would make me a feel a ton better.

That's was my best case scenario for the season: losing record, but an offense worth watching.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I'd like to see a running game and 24 points, but giving up 31 to a Grant-less GB would be a defensive step backward.

Mahdi
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see a running game and 24 points, but giving up 31 to a Grant-less GB would be a defensive step backward.
I think we are going to have to be patient with our defense this week. It won't be pretty for them at all. I think they will be made to look very bad because they will be on the field a lot and with all the weapons GB has they will give up quite a few points.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I think we are going to have to be patient with our defense this week. It won't be pretty for them at all. I think they will be made to look very bad because they will be on the field a lot and with all the weapons GB has they will give up quite a few points.
I'm just thinking our secondary is our strength, and Rodgers might be throwing a little more without Grant. Could work to our advantage, but I realize, too, that we are not facing the very ordinary Henne this week.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
We need to hit Rogers in the ****ing mouth. Lets go Buffalo. 12th Mannnn

Mahdi
09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm just thinking our secondary is our strength, and Rodgers might be throwing a little more without Grant. Could work to our advantage, but I realize, too, that we are not facing the very ordinary Henne this week.
I think Finley will have a 150 yard receiving game. We have NO ONE that can cover TEs. They will have to put Whitner on Finley because Davis and Ayodele/Ellison will be victimized all day.

Whitner will give up his share to Finley but at least you get an athlete on an athlete.

That means we will have to trust our CBs in 1 on 1 match ups and let Byrd fly free to play a single deep over the top.

The other option is to play with 3 safeties. We could use Bryan Scott to cover Finley.

OpIv37
09-15-2010, 08:28 AM
We need to hit Rogers in the ****ing mouth. Lets go Buffalo. 12th Mannnn

Game's in GB. I don't think the 12th man is going to be on our side for this one.

trapezeus
09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
if the bills are losing 31-3 and then score 21 points in the efourth quarter because of a prevent defense, it's not good.

if we are competitive through 3 quarters, and we showed some adjustments throughout the game on offense, then i would be happy coaching wise. I'll still be left thinking, we really don't have servicable players.

psubills62
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I hate to say that a loss might be progress, but in our case it might be.

As trap insinuated, it's how we lose that matters. If it's a battle up until the end, if our offense and/or defense can match them blow for blow, then yes, that's progress. If Edwards can finally look good against a 3-4 defense, that will be progress. If Gailey shows that he has the ability to put together a comprehensive, functional gameplan then yes, that's progress. If our defense shows the ability to stop the run and the pass, that's progress.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Game's in GB. I don't think the 12th man is going to be on our side for this one.

They can feel us in Spirit!

cocamide
09-15-2010, 09:58 AM

I think he was saying that our only chance was to put a 12th man on the field.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I think he was saying that our only chance was to put a 12th man on the field.

Yup the Ghost of Jim Kelly

Beebe's Kid
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I had typed a bunch of **** in as a response, but then I stopped and read what I was saying...

**** no. A loss is never progress. It puts us behind the eight-ball. As unrealistic as it may seem I want the title, and that's why I watch. To get the title we need playoffs, then it's anybody's game. In a conference where 10 wins might not equal a playoff birth...I don't want losses.

Contrary to popular opinion, I thought our D was amazing Sunday. They were backs against the wall the entire game, and held them to 13 points...Did they make sexy plays or help us with some much needed scoring, no, but they gave us a chance, or chances, to win the game.

So, if our offense looks good...awesome, but a loss would be a step back for the D, therefore negating the step forward on O, and we're stewing in the same **** with a visit to the House of Hoodie next weekend, where we last won when Mosi Tatupu was still playing.

This team needs to know what it's like to win, not progress. I'd be happier with a 10-7 win than a 42-38 loss.

Mad Max
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Say we put up 24 points. 3 offensive TDs. But lose to Packers 31-24. Is that Progress or still PATHETIC BUFFALO?

Yes it would be progress. This offense/team is in its infancy, hence it needs to take baby steps.

If they could start getting some offensive consistency, scoring more, scoring TD's instead of field goals, how could that possibly not be considered progress?

We're going to lose A LOT. We know that, so let's make the best of it and take it in stages. The OL may gel, with the young guys getting their experience and continuity playing alongside each other. Spiller's going to adjust to the speed of the game. Nelson will be back. D. Nelson may develop.

So if this offense can become a consistent ~24 point offense by seasons end...regardless of record, it bodes well for the teams future. (we scored ~16/ game last season and were bottom five in the league)

Ebenezer
09-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Aren't you the one yesterday that bascially told us all to stuff it and that the Bills were going to win?? Now you are looking for an out if they lose? Come to reality - it's a nice island.

Mad Max
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Don't tell Kelly he died. The shock might kill him.

The last buffalo fan
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM

He will be busy making some McFarlanes! :ill:

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't expect to win but want to see progress. Thats what the season is all about.

Pinkerton Security
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe that whether or not this would be progress would depend on the manner in which the points were scored...

-If Trent actually tried to push the ball down the field and had any sort of success in doing so, then i'd say it was progress.
- If we ran the ball effectively and did a pretty good job of keeping Rodgers off of the field, then I'd say it was progress.
- If Trent continued to checkdown and wilt under pressure, I'd say there was no progress at all.
- If our running game continued to sputter, I'd say there was no progress.

I dont understand how you people can say in 1 breath that we're SOOOOO bad that we're going to lose 16 games, and then in the next breath say that putting in a pretty decent offensive showing against a team who has been consistently very good. This doesnt make sense to me. I know we arent a good football team and so do most of you, so you need to realize that progress is not realistically going to come in terms of wins, it is going to come in terms of growth by our players on both sides of the ball. If you truly think that NO good whatsoever can come out of a loss, I'd just say agree to disagree.

RoscoeMagic
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
I had typed a bunch of **** in as a response, but then I stopped and read what I was saying...

**** no. A loss is never progress. It puts us behind the eight-ball. As unrealistic as it may seem I want the title, and that's why I watch. To get the title we need playoffs, then it's anybody's game. In a conference where 10 wins might not equal a playoff birth...I don't want losses.

Contrary to popular opinion, I thought our D was amazing Sunday. They were backs against the wall the entire game, and held them to 13 points...Did they make sexy plays or help us with some much needed scoring, no, but they gave us a chance, or chances, to win the game.

So, if our offense looks good...awesome, but a loss would be a step back for the D, therefore negating the step forward on O, and we're stewing in the same **** with a visit to the House of Hoodie next weekend, where we last won when Mosi Tatupu was still playing.

This team needs to know what it's like to win, not progress. I'd be happier with a 10-7 win than a 42-38 loss.

Agreed. You play to win the game. All these people blab about exciting football. Frankly I don't give a rat's ass if we're exciting or not as long as we win the game.