PDA

View Full Version : How would Jim Kelly do behind this OL

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think he'd have a HOF career if this was his OL in glory days

OpIv37
09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Now, or in the early 90's?

In the early 90's, D's weren't so athletic so he would have had some success. Most likely, he wouldn't have been a HOFer but he wouldn't have been a total loser either.

Now, defenses are so much faster and he never was particularly mobile, even when he was young. He'd get killed.

Beebe's Kid
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I disagree.

Kelly used to get lit the **** up, especially early on, and he got up and made plays. You didn't have confidence issues, or a QB that stared down a receiver..."Your not open, I don't have time to wait...next" He saw the entire field and made great decisions. Did he throw INT's, sure, but he didn't curl up and die, he got pissed, and he never shied away from taking chances.

If Kelly was playing with this team, in his heyday, we would be playoff bound.

OpIv37
09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I disagree.

Kelly used to get lit the **** up, especially early on, and he got up and made plays. You didn't have confidence issues, or a QB that stared down a receiver..."Your not open, I don't have time to wait...next" He saw the entire field and made great decisions. Did he throw INT's, sure, but he didn't curl up and die, he got pissed, and he never shied away from taking chances.

If Kelly was playing with this team, in his heyday, we would be playoff bound.

no way.

The game has changed too much. Sure, he'd complete more passes downfield because he's willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit, and he finds receivers and feels the pressure. But he'd get sacked a LOT because our OL sucks and if he didn't have the footspeed to elude defenders 20-25 years ago, he certainly doesn't have the footspeed to elude today's defenders.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
no way.

The game has changed too much. Sure, he'd complete more passes downfield because he's willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit, and he finds receivers and feels the pressure. But he'd get sacked a LOT because our OL sucks and if he didn't have the footspeed to elude defenders 20-25 years ago, he certainly doesn't have the footspeed to elude today's defenders.

He'd need to play behind a OL like on Pats, Jets, Gmen, Colts

TacklingDummy
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
The Bills would be 1-0 right now.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
The Bills would be 1-0 right now.

He'd still have 0 rings if he played the last 10 years

tatersalad
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
He is the type of player that rallied his team and made everyone better around him he could play in todays game and we would be a top 15 teram right now

trapezeus
09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
kelly was what i think of as a pure pocket passer. the guy ran like most of our grandmothers. his 20's excellent self would struggle greatly with today's speed of the game. but his arm might be even stronger and his grasp of reading a defense would be better.

but i think he'd struggle. He's good at moving around in the pocket, but there are enough times that a pocket doesn't even form and there is no where to go but sprint.

Bill Cody
09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Every game would look like we were playing Washington or Dallas in the Super Bowl. Some production and a lot of throws up for grabs.

k-oneputt
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I know one thing for sure, that ball would be going down field. He might throw four int's, but it would go down field.

BigZ
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
No doubt in my mind.....with this OL Jim Kelly would retire!

Jan Reimers
09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Better than Edwards. By a wide margin.

better days
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
no way.

Yeah well Brady & Manning don't have footspeed either. Even behind the poor line the Bills have Kelly would have gotten rid of the ball, made plays & not taken as many sacks as you might think.

Much like Flutie & Johnson. Rob was sacked all the time, Flutie came in got rid of the ball & the O-line looked much better with him at QB.

mysticsoto
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
His no huddle offense would still push Ds on their heels...and Kelly wouldn't be scared to throw it. He'd make the quick read, see that Evans is one on one and throw it up to give him a chance to come down with it. And he'd do it more than once a game...

Billz_fan
09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Kelly would be able to make some plays period. We would have won that game Sunday to.

I also guarantee this, He would be in peoples faces when they threw him a look out block. He would tell everyone just what he wanted and he would be the leader on offense. No of that would be in doubt !

colin
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Kelly would be able to make some plays period. We would have won that game Sunday to.

I also guarantee this, He would be in peoples faces when they threw him a look out block. He would tell everyone just what he wanted and he would be the leader on offense. No of that would be in doubt !

+1 to this.

kelly was a fuggin stud. if a 24 year old JK was our QB, we would have won the game 21 or 24 to 13. he would have made a couple of plays, scared the d to open up the pitch a bit, and allowed spiller to be more open on screens and such.

he's a hall of famer for a reason guys.

we would still need help at WR and OL on O, but we'd be more productive and with him in there it would give our run game a chance to play some.

aaron rogers now and mcnabb when he was young got sacked a ton, and often times were behind bad lines, but they made fuggin plays. hall of fame JK would do the same.

Yasgur's Farm
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
1st... When teams were foolish enough to blitz Kelly, he knew exactly where his outlet was... and hit it. When teams were foolish enough not to blitz him, he'd toss it whereever the hell he wanted.

2nd... He was a leader. He commanded respect and led his teams to success... WHERE EVER HE PLAYED!

Stop insulting a legit HOF'r with comparisons with the ball less one.

Extremebillsfan247
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Now, or in the early 90's?

In the early 90's, D's weren't so athletic so he would have had some success. Most likely, he wouldn't have been a HOFer but he wouldn't have been a total loser either.

Now, defenses are so much faster and he never was particularly mobile, even when he was young. He'd get killed.Yeah, I agree. It's a different game today then it was back then. Defenses are bigger, more athletic, and quicker than they were in the 90's. Kelly would still be a good QB but as good as he was, would still struggle in an offense like the one we ran against Miami with a shoddy Oline. JMO...

Yasgur's Farm
09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
this is easy... Most over 40 knows exactly how successful JK would be. Majority under 40 don't have a clue.

Extremebillsfan247
09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
this is easy... Most over 40 knows exactly how successful JK would be. Majority under 40 don't have a clue.accept those 40 + year olds who are dumber than a rock. Age doesn't really mean anything, its what you know or don't know. That line doesn't work anymore in the digital age where information is plentiful to those with a knack for finding it. There are 15 year old kids out there who's knowledge of the game could surprise you. Don't be foolish thinking that age begets wisdom. That isn't true anymore. JMO

Yasgur's Farm
09-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Experiencing the Jim Kelly era is different than googleing the Jim Kelly era... Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child!

Extremebillsfan247
09-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Experiencing the Jim Kelly era is different than googleing the Jim Kelly era... Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child! Using age as a means for mocking other fans is foolishness. lol

Yasgur's Farm
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Bravo! Need I use the "sarcasm off" button?

billz83
09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Jim Kelly had a EXTREMELY good OLINE compared to this garbage *** OLINE..i dont think ANY QB would be super bowl bound with this oline not even peyton manning..the bills have the worst oline in the league with the worst qb in the league the problem is BOTH not just one or an either/or scenerio..The bills have ignored the oline for a decade now..and dont even get me started on the bills choices for QB..Itz really NOT THAT HARD..y do u think SOO MANY bills fans are PISSEDDD with this organization and front office..and plus when Jim Kelly was around he had A LOT OF TALENT around him..that cant be said for this pathetic roster..most of these guys would be 2nd string at BEST on other teams.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Experiencing the Jim Kelly era is different than googleing the Jim Kelly era... Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child!

I'm 29 years old. I witnessed the Kelly era

ddaryl
09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't think he'd have a HOF career if this was his OL in glory days

He would have the O producing more then 160 yds of total offfense behind this OL .. that much I do know