PDA

View Full Version : Mackovic immediately starts search for new WR coach

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-14-2003, 06:02 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Mike Borich, the wide receivers coach on Arizona coach John Mackovic's staff for less than three months, resigned Monday to address family-related issues.

Borich, one of five assistants hired since last season, will leave the program July 31. The search for a replacement began immediately, with Mackovic eyeing mid-July as the deadline to begin preparing for the season. Training camp starts Aug. 5.

"I am appreciative of the job Mike did in the short time he was on the staff," Mackovic said. "Our receivers emerged from spring practice with a good grasp of our offense and some momentum heading into the 2003 season. I felt he was very well-prepared, and I admire his energetic style."

Athletic director Jim Livengood stressed the departure had nothing to do with last season's unrest, which came to light when more than 40 players met with university president Peter Likins to complain about Mackovic's alleged verbal abuse.

At a sports editors luncheon last month, Mackovic declared the past buried but still blamed "outside influences" for fomenting the unrest and some former assistants for staying silent until it boiled over.

In a statement, Borich supported Livengood's assertion.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0610/1565903.html