PDA

View Full Version : I didn't see the Terrible Edwards game that everyone saw...

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
I saw an offense that was just shooting itself in the foot and making dumb mistakes.

Edwards did have a couple bad passes... but he also made plays that were negated.

- If it weren't for an "arm bar" he would of hit Evans on a deep pass

- He also hit David Nelson for 40 yards on a 2nd and 20 that was negated by a holding call.

- He also scrambled to his right and hit Lee Evans on a crossing route on a 3rd and long but Evans dropped it....

- He also looked excellent during the 2 minute offense when he had time and it resulted in a 31 yard TD pass.

It seemed to me that Edwards was trying to make plays and he was scrambling to buy time.... but the offense just was completely out of sync. i actually like that fact that he was scrambling and not just sitting in the pocket taking sacks.

Edwards did have his bad plays... but so did everyone else on the offense. Edwards has had worse games... but i can't blame this loss on him like the rest of Bills nation. This loss was a team effort.

Nighthawk
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Wow...more excuses for Trent...LOVELY!

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow...more excuses for Trent...LOVELY!

I don't think i'm making excuses.

It's easy to blame the QB for everything.... but what if Levitre didn't hold on the 40 yard pass to Nelson that put us at the 30 yard line?

DraftBoy
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
The what if game gets old really fast, and yes it is making excuses.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
The what if game gets old really fast, and yes it is making excuses.

It's easy to blame the QB when a team loses.... i just don't see how everyone can blame him for penalties and dropped passes. The entire offense sucked... not just him.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Yep, we can't blame the QB when the team loses, but if they win, we sure can exonerate him!

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
It's also funny that you don't mention the 2 pick 6's that the Fins dropped.

DraftBoy
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Because just like the drops he does mention they don't matter at all.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM

I thought I did when I said he made a couple bad passes... and had bad plays.

I'm not saying he had an awesome game... but i don't believe he had the terrible game that everyone thinks... and he was the reason why we lost. I've seen him play worst. Everyone says he checks down all the time... but he did throw the ball down field 3 or 4 times... and connected twice.... 1 came back due to holding.

The offense just kept shooting itself in the foot... and i thought gailey's game plan was terrible.

better days
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't think i'm making excuses.

It's easy to blame the QB for everything.... but what if Levitre didn't hold on the 40 yard pass to Nelson that put us at the 30 yard line?

What if Miami DB's did not have hands of stone? Trent would have put up 14 points for the Fins.

Nighthawk
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm not saying he had an awesome game... but i don't believe he had the terrible game that everyone thinks... and he was the reason why we lost. I've seen him play worst. Everyone says he checks down all the time... but he did throw the ball down field 3 or 4 times... and connected twice.... 1 came back due to holding.

The offense just kept shooting itself in the foot... and i thought gailey's game plan was terrible.

The offense kept shooting itself in the foot because the QB is totally incompetent.

better days
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Oh, I thought you were talking about the screen passes that Trent could not complete when you said a couple bad passes, I thought you forgot about the pick sixes.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the screen passes that Trent could not complete when you said a couple bad passes, I thought you forgot about the pick sixes.

Screen passes that were dropped or batted down?

Seriously... let's blame everything out of his control on him.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
The offense kept shooting itself in the foot because the QB is totally incompetent.

Ru people serious?

They were holding and missing assignments because of the QB?

Gimme a break....

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
but i can't blame this loss on him like the rest of Bills nation. This loss was a team effort.

He isn't the only reason we lost but he is part of the reason. The guys just doesn't have the balls. I hope Lee calls him out again if Trent acts like a girl vs. the packers.

He tried to lose the game twice but it was a good thing the fins couldn't make the INT. We all would be singing a different tune had the fins caught those balls.

Nighthawk
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Ru people serious?

Gimme a break....

Please tell me you're not serious...are you seriously still making excuses for Trent? Amazing!

better days
09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Ru people serious?

Gimme a break....

Batted down because Trent did not execute the play properly.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Aaron Rogers last year had a worse OL that what Trent had last sunday.

The OL made their mistakes . BUt Trent made his fair share when the OL held up.

Maybe it's time I make excuses for the OL too. They look bad because of the QB.

Commissioner
Please tell me you're not serious...are you seriously still making excuses for Trent? Amazing!

I'm not making excuses... i went to the game and after it was over... i thought he was the worst QB ever.

After I watched the game over on replay..... i realized he really didn't play as horrible as it seemed. Other guys on offense were just as responsible for the offense not moving the ball.

I'm just not going to blame the QB for everything that ever goes wrong... like people clearly want to do.

Yeah... Edwards may not be the franchise guy we want... but the team has other problems that need to be fixed also. Thinking we can just switch the QB to fix our problems is a joke.....

Philagape
Besides what he did, it's what he didn't do. Like take shots when shots were needed to be taken. A couple of IM throws were not enough.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Aaron Rogers last year had a worse OL that what Trent had last sunday.

The OL made their mistakes . BUt Trent made his fair share when the OL held up.

Maybe it's time I make excuses for the OL too. They look bad because of the QB.

I'm not talking about sacks... i'm talking about holding penalties that result in 3rd and 30!

ddaryl
09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Trent was ass licking horrible... never threw the ball downfield never trusted his WR's to make a paly and because of that the stacked box worked like a charm. He telegraphed passes, and can't sense pressure worth **** coming aorund the edge. His accuracy is and has been inconsistent.

Re-watch that game if you don't see how pathetic Trent was then rewatch a 3rd time.

the OL is not perfect, but Trent needs to make plays no ifs ands or buts...

JCBills
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
It's easy to blame the QB when a team loses.... i just don't see how everyone can blame him for penalties and dropped passes. The entire offense sucked... not just him.

Did you see anyone saying "Man, Trent should have told his WR to catch that one." or "Well if Trent just made sure Levitre didn't hold then it would have worked out."

Obviously everyone has to be playing at a certain level for things to work, but there is no defending Trent's performance. It looked like he'd go to his first read, and instead of finishing the progression, skip straight to the checkdown. You can't win throwing the ball 3 yds behind the LOS or throwing for a 3 yard completion on 3rd and 14.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm not talking about sacks... i'm talking about holding penalties that result in 3rd and 30!

I can also make excuses for the OL. They had to hold because their qb holds on to the ball too long.

For every excuse you make for Trent I can make excuses for the OL pointiing the finger back at Trent.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Did you see anyone saying "Man, Trent should have told his WR to catch that one." or "Well if Trent just made sure Levitre didn't hold then it would have worked out."

Obviously everyone has to be playing at a certain level for things to work, but there is no defending Trent's performance. It looked like he'd go to his first read, and instead of finishing the progression, skip straight to the checkdown. You can't win throwing the ball 3 yds behind the LOS or throwing for a 3 yard completion on 3rd and 14.

Go back and review his pass to Nelson for 40 yards.... Nelson wasn't his first read.

JCBills
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Go back and review his pass to Nelson for 40 yards.... Nelson wasn't his first read.

Did I say it was every play? Nope. Did it seem to happen entirely too often? Yup. Bringing up single examples of what needs to happen for an entire game weakens your argument.

trapezeus
09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
everyone is to blame on the offensive side of the ball, but the blame is weighted. Trent didn't make plays when the team needed him to.

A QB that a coach had confidence in wouldn't have had a safety taken. they would have tried to march 99 yards.

Imagine winning a game on a 99 yard 2 minute drive. how awesome would that be.

HHURRICANE
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I think Commissioner is just saying that it wasn't all on Edwards. I'm the king of defending Edwards but he made mistakes and didn't do us any favors, as did the o-line, Spiller, and Gailey.

You guys want Edwards to win us games in spite of the offense.

Saying that he had 2 "almost picks" is the same as saying he had "3 almost deep passes".

Spiller never got started, Wood got manhandled, all of this fed on eachother.

It wasn't like the o-line was great, our running games was great, and Edwards threw 3 picks and cost us the game. Big difference here.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
It works both ways. Sure if PI is called and the Nelson throw isn't wiped out, the Bills likely win the game, and Trent's performance looks a lot better, but if Miami doesn't drop those 2 pics, the Bills get blown out, and Trents bad day looks horrendous.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I think Commissioner is just saying that it wasn't all on Edwards. I'm the king of defending Edwards but he made mistakes and didn't do us any favors, as did the o-line, Spiller, and Gailey.

Saying that he had 2 "almost picks" is the same as saying he had "3 almost deep passes".

It wasn't like the o-line was great, our running games was great, and Edwards threw 3 picks and cost us the game. Big difference here.

That's pretty much what i meant.

People say he threw 2 picks... almost.

Well he did hit a 40 yard pass that was called back because of a penalty... and he almost hit Evans but Evans was held up....

It goes both ways.... but people prefer to see it the way that makes Edwards look like the #1 issue.

JCBills
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
That's pretty much what i meant.

People say he threw 2 picks... almost.

Well he did hit a 40 yard pass that was called back because of a penalty... and he almost hit Evans but Evans was held up....

It goes both ways.... but people prefer to see it the way that makes Edwards look like the #1 issue.

Because he is, why is this an argument? Good QBs make everyone around them better.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
The game could of went either way.... if a couple plays like the Nelson and Evans plays go our way... we probably win and Edwards looks like a hero.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Because he is, why is this an argument? Good QBs make everyone around them better.
So your argument is now based on some magical thing that some QB's have to elevate players around them from not holding and committing drive killing penalties.

You win.

better days
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm not making excuses... i went to the game and after it was over... i thought he was the worst QB ever.

After I watched the game over on replay..... i realized he really didn't play as horrible as it seemed. Other guys on offense were just as responsible for the offense not moving the ball.

I'm just not going to blame the QB for everything that ever goes wrong... like people clearly want to do.

Yeah... Edwards may not be the franchise guy we want... but the team has other problems that need to be fixed also. Thinking we can just switch the QB to fix our problems is a joke.....

Nobody is saying Trent is the only problem on the team.........just the biggest.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
The game could of went either way.... if a couple plays like the Nelson and Evans plays go our way... we probably win and Edwards looks like a hero.

if the fins caught those INT's we could have lost earlier.

HHURRICANE
09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Nobody is saying Trent is the only problem on the team.........just the biggest.

Yeah, our o-line is first rate. Spiller, Jackson, and Lynch were just blowing through those holes

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess the reason why people make his play a bigger deal than it is is because he's still the same old Trentative that played as if he was was still playing with Dick and everyone is tired of it.

Trent didn't play as bad as he did when he played the browns but it's not much better either after all the talk he's made about Gailey .

better days
09-15-2010, 12:46 PM

Well, Chan has been criticized for his play calling. It turns out Chan called for the long pass, but Trent would not throw it. Chan also wanted to use the screen pass but Trent could not execute it.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, Chan has been criticized for his play calling. It turns out Chan called for the long pass, but Trent would not throw it. Chan also wanted to use the screen pass but Trent could not execute it.

you might want to quote the article because HH cannot read my threads or posts.

HH will find more excuses to make for Trent and attempt to cite his own sources though.

JCBills
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
So your argument is now based on some magical thing that some QB's have to elevate players around them from not holding and committing drive killing penalties.

You win.
No, but your argument seems to break down quickly, then turn into putting words into someone else's mouth, happened a few times in the thread already. Magical? I'm starting to question your understanding of the game. Look at Big Ben, look at Aaron Rodgers, not every top QB is protected by top shelf OLs. Some of the best actually work with some of the worst protection in the league. They happen to be playmakers, you know, the kind you want on your team, and they're able to adjust to and overcome whatever gets thrown their way. Watch them play, watch them make something out of nothing. Good QBs do that. They get rid of the ball quickly instead of patting it every time. They deliver the ball downfield, trust their receivers, and can make average WRs look great.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Trent made plays...

he scrambled to his right on 3rd and long and hit Evans in the hands.

He hit Nelson on a pretty 40 yard pass that was reversed

He tossed it deep to Evans but Evans was interfered with.

He tried to make plays that you guys says he didn't even attempt to do....

I think the offense is gonna have a better showing this week with some tweeks to the offense.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the offense is gonna have a better showing this week with some tweeks to the offense.

I think Trent will do better as well if that means anything.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I think Trent will do better as well if that means anything.

I would like Gailey to call some playaction rollouts.... hit some quick slants also.

Don't call Shotgun 75% of the game and run out of shotgun with the offensive line in 2 point stance.

This is an offense that is still trying to find it's identity. I think Gailey is still trying to search for an effective scheme also.

We have to remember this is a brand new offense and it's gonna take awhile... but I'm very confident Gailey will figure it out.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I think Gailey overrated his team as well based on preseason.

He may also have overrated Trent as far as calling those deep throws.

Now he has to sit back and realize the limits of the players he has and design plays accordingly.

HHURRICANE
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
No, but your argument seems to break down quickly, then turn into putting words into someone else's mouth, happened a few times in the thread already. Magical? I'm starting to question your understanding of the game. Look at Big Ben, look at Aaron Rodgers, not every top QB is protected by top shelf OLs. Some of the best actually work with some of the worst protection in the league. They happen to be playmakers, you know, the kind you want on your team, and they're able to adjust to and overcome whatever gets thrown their way. Watch them play, watch them make something out of nothing. Good QBs do that. They get rid of the ball quickly instead of patting it every time. They deliver the ball downfield, trust their receivers, and can make average WRs look great. When you can construct a solid argument, make threads about them.

Last I looked we drafted Edwards in the third round. That's the problem with this board. They want Edwards to be first round quality. News Falsh he isn't. If you want Rivers, Ben, Flacco, you need to use a first round pick to get them...and early.

Is he good enough to run a good offense on a good team? Probably.

When he leaves next year I guarantee he won't have the employment issues that Losman had. He'll end up somewhere and probably end up in a playoff game somewhere down the road aka Rich Gannon.

He's the wrong guy for this team. Yes, one of the guys you mentioned would do better here. That's a fact.

better days
09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I would like Gailey to call some playaction rollouts.... hit some quick slants also.

Don't call Shotgun 75% of the game and run out of shotgun with the offensive line in 2 point stance.

This is an offense that is still trying to find it's identity. I think Gailey is still trying to search for an effective scheme also.

We have to remember this is a brand new offense and it's gonna take awhile... but I'm very confident Gailey will figure it out.

Well Gailey tried to use the screen last week & Trent could not execute it. Can Trent hit the slant any better, I don't know, but I think I know why the Bills have not used the screen much in the past.

Thief
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Trent made plays...

I think the offense is gonna have a better showing this week with some tweeks to the offense.His pass to Evans on 3rd and long was a 2 yarder.

He would have been sacked for holding the ball too long if not for that hold on the long pass to Nelson.

So now you blame the refs for Trent sucking?

He tried to make plays and we say he didn't attempt to? Did you happen to see their last drive? You have no choice but to throw a hail mary and he is scrabbling for 5 seconds and threw it out of bounds. Oh, there was a couple check downs in there too.

The only thing that will make this offense better next week is to start another QB. Greenbay plays a 3-4. Trent has no chance. He is like 1-20 vs the 3-4 lifetime.

trapezeus
09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
having 2 almost picked off passes is much worse than having almost 2 adequate plays that you are expecting him to make lots of.

Most QB's don't have 2 INT games.

Most QB's do have games with more than 2 completions of 10 yards or more.

It's not all trent's fault, but Chan and Trent take a large chunk of the blame.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
having 2 almost picked off passes is much worse than having almost 2 adequate plays that you are expecting him to make lots of.

Most QB's don't have 2 INT games.

Most QB's do have games with more than 2 completions of 10 yards or more.

It's not all trent's fault, but Chan and Trent take a large chunk of the blame.

Actually most QB's in every football game have passes that are almost picked off.

You guys just focus on Trents because it gives you more reason to blame him for the entire offense.

JCBills
09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Well Gailey tried to use the screen last week & Trent could not execute it. Can Trent hit the slant any better, I don't know, but I think I know why the Bills have not used the screen much in the past.

We used screens quite a bit last season. Half of the NE gameplan for last year's opener was screens.

kelly2reed4six
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
This is one of the biggest things abt edwards that bothers me. He ALWAYS makes those passes...guys like woodson and revis aren't going to drop those either, they're taking them to the house! I also agree that the penalties hurt him, but there are no excuses. A good qb perseveres through those things and LEADS his team to a victory

Mr. Pink
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
I think I've read this thread before...

Oh yeah, it was titled "JP Losman isn't all too blame."

Trent had a piss poor performance on Sunday that was rivaled by a completely inept game plan.

justasportsfan
09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Trent had a piss poor performance on Sunday that was rivaled by a completely inept game plan.

How dare they make a thread using "too" instead of "to"

kelly2reed4six
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Actually most QB's in every football game have passes that are almost picked off.

You guys just focus on Trents because it gives you more reason to blame him for the entire offense.
Maybe you're right, but most qbs almost have passes picked when they're throwingintermediate or deep passes....not short out routes that leave nothing but green between the db and the endzone....other qbs picks or near picks are because they're taking chances, edwads are just b/c he's a horrible decision maker....there are ZERO excuses for edwards anymore....its put up or shut up for him

Mr. Pink
09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
How dare they make a thread using "too" instead of "to"

Well you know the guys defending Losman weren't exactly readers, if you catch my drift. :rofl:

The truth of the matter is the QBs this team has employed over the years since Kelly, sans Bledsoe, shouldn't currently be or should never have been a starting QB in this league.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Trent wasn't great... but he's not the reason why we lost... which is what everone wants everyone to believe.

He tried to make plays.... the offense just shot itself in the foot at every turn.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Trent wasn't great... but he's not the reason why we lost... which is what everone wants everyone to believe.

He tried to make plays.... the offense just shot itself in the foot at every turn.

The two reasons the team lost are the inept gameplan and then Trent's inability to execute. Period.

Commissioner
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
The two reasons the team lost are the inept gameplan and then Trent's inability to execute. Period.

Holding penalties, missed blocks had nothing to do with it either.

JCBills
09-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Then why didn't he go deep when we know a good chunk of plays later in the game were designed deep balls? Throw Lee the 50/50 ball, he's shown he can pull it in. I don't call the short completion to someone with no room to make something happen on 3rd and long trying to make plays.

mysticsoto
09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Trent made plays...

So...you can count the "good" things he did on one hand and that's supposed to mean he had an okay day???

The game is 3-3.5 hrs long. If his "good" deeds are going to be that limited in quantity, they better all be TDs or the game is lost!

JCBills
09-15-2010, 02:35 PM

These things happen in every NFL game, but inept QB play doesn't.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Just completely ignore the fact that Trent tried to throw two pick 6s.

Say everything went the way you want it to, no drops, no penalties, no miami drops either...

We lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 27-13 instead.

How about we add the "what if" game on Henne underthrowing a wide open Brandon Marshall too?

34-13.

ChristopherWalken
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Go back, watch it again, count the seconds he holds the ball on each pass play the average the time the OLine gave him to make the play.

While you're there, take notice of the pocket and where Trent positions himself in the pocket. Also take notice in how he stares down receivers, how he rushes the screen pass, and how he fails to pull the trigger quickly on slants, and under throws on the out patterns. Then, on top of all else, watch how he inaccurately feels the defensive pressure and immediately give in to the check down route.

He has no balls and no business being in the NFL.

He walks the walk in practice and pre-season and then falls flat on his face as soon as he sees a salavating, non-vanilla, defensive squad.

If that's not enough for you. Watch his presser from Sunday. He doesn't even know if Miami's D was in a Zone or Man when he threw the TD to Roscoe. A good QB would spit that out without thinking twice.

better days
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
We used screens quite a bit last season. Half of the NE gameplan for last year's opener was screens.

Yeah, I know they used the screen & had success with it against N.E. but I don't remember them using it much after that game.

acehole
09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Ha what is funny to me is we had a guy who threw TD passes and we threw him under the bus because a wr made a play on a deep ball a few year back....and now we are giving a guys a pass because a td pass wasn't made on account of a bad call....

Interesting...

This board has become bizzaro world...

I saw an offense that was just shooting itself in the foot and making dumb mistakes.

Edwards did have a couple bad passes... but he also made plays that were negated.

- He also hit David Nelson for 40 yards on a 2nd and 20 that was negated by a holding call.

- He also scrambled to his right and hit Lee Evans on a crossing route on a 3rd and long but Evans dropped it....

- He also looked excellent during the 2 minute offense when he had time and it resulted in a 31 yard TD pass.

It seemed to me that Edwards was trying to make plays and he was scrambling to buy time.... but the offense just was completely out of sync. i actually like that fact that he was scrambling and not just sitting in the pocket taking sacks.

Edwards did have his bad plays... but so did everyone else on the offense. Edwards has had worse games... but i can't blame this loss on him like the rest of Bills nation. This loss was a team effort.

Beebe's Kid
09-16-2010, 10:41 AM

It was the game vs. Miami last Sunday at 1:00 PM EST.

Pinkerton Security
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Here's all you need to know...when we were down 5 with about 15 seconds left, and we needed 10 yards or so on 4th down....Trent checked down to an underneath WR....

the guy is an absolute pussy and his constant checkdowns were absolutely ridiculous...i had about 15 of my friends texting me while watching the game making fun of his ridiculous short throws. His timid nature is not what we need.

Oh, and yes the team made mistakes and Trent had balls batted down, but I guarantee that he missed many, many opportunities in this game because of his fear of throwing downfield, not to mention the fact that Miami could constantly have 9 or 10 guys near the LOS because they just friggin knew there was no shot in hell of him taking many chances deep. Its very easy to play defense when you only have to really cover the 10 yards past the LOS.

better days
09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's all you need to know...when we were down 5 with about 15 seconds left, and we needed 10 yards or so on 4th down....Trent checked down to an underneath WR....

the guy is an absolute pussy and his constant checkdowns were absolutely ridiculous...i had about 15 of my friends texting me while watching the game making fun of his ridiculous short throws. His timid nature is not what we need.

Oh, and yes the team made mistakes and Trent had balls batted down, but I guarantee that he missed many, many opportunities in this game because of his fear of throwing downfield, not to mention the fact that Miami could constantly have 9 or 10 guys near the LOS because they just friggin knew there was no shot in hell of him taking many chances deep. Its very easy to play defense when you only have to really cover the 10 yards past the LOS.

The screen passes that were batted down were Trents fault alone. Those screens were set up perfectly, Trent needs to make those passes.