Wake up, QB is not the fix alone and will change very little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Wake up, QB is not the fix alone and will change very little.

I'm sorry but people need to get real with what their expectations.

First off, even if we find ourselves in a position to draft one of the top QBs there is no guarantee that we won't end up with Matt Leinart. Furthermore, just look at week 1 if you think the answer is solely on the QB:

Bradford: 53 QB Rating 3 picks, 1 TD

Matt Ryan: 67 QB Rating 1 pick, O TDs

Joe Flacco: 62 QB Rating 1 pick, O TDs

Chad Hennne: 75 QB Rating O picks, O TDs

Matt Schaub: 67 QB Rating 1 pick, 1 TD

Mark Sanchez: 56 QB Rating 0 pick, 0 TDs

Alex Simth: 52 QB Rating 2 picks, O TDs

The funny part is Flacco, Henne, Schaub won and Ryan lost in overtime. They have complete teams. We don't.

We suck at TE, our o-line is terrible, Evans is not a #1 elite WR, et.c, etc. etc.

We lose and you guys go on and on about the QB. Yes, Edwards didn't have a good game but he played better than the list above.

So when we draft a top guy and we pay 100 millions dollars for him and we still suck, than what?

I'd rather build the line lines and get some talent before we waste a pick on Matt Leinart.
  • PromoTheRobot
    • Sep 2003

Re: Wake up, QB is not the fix alone and will change very little.

Any new QB would get killed behind our line as it is right now.

PTR
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

By the way, I am in no way endorsing Edwards play or suggesting he is a long term answer.

I'm merely saying that insert your favorite QB and the result will be similar.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
        We play to win the game!
        • Oct 2009

Schaub, Flacco, and Ryan all had very good seasons last year. You selected to add them off a bad game

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
          Schaub, Flacco, and Ryan all had very good seasons last year. You selected to add them off a bad game
          Yeah, my point exactly. First game of the year.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

If a team wants to get better, it needs to replace its bad players with better ones.

QB is one of those needs. There are other needs, and we all know that, but QB is unquestionably one of them.

So I don't see what the point is, other than the daily downplayTrent'sfailures thread.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              Yeah, my point exactly. First game of the year.
              Are you trying to suggest it was an aberration for Edwards? Seriously?
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

the numbers game is tough with trent. he was gifted 100+ yards in a prevent defense. i didn't watch the other games. but schaub had a RB run for 200+ yards. No need for gaudy numbers.

Flacco played the best defense in the NFL and being at the game, i can say he was giving his WR's a chance to make a play on the ball. Our QB didn't even try to do that.

The numbers are definitely close, but basing it solely on the numbers without knowing what you know from watching the game is a dangerous game.

Edwards had a very bad game and displayed very weak leadership skills in a game that was still available for the taking with under 2 minutes to play. That's a huge negative in my book.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  the numbers game is tough with trent. he was gifted 100+ yards in a prevent defense. i didn't watch the other games. but schaub had a RB run for 200+ yards. No need for gaudy numbers.

Flacco played the best defense in the NFL and being at the game, i can say he was giving his WR's a chance to make a play on the ball. Our QB didn't even try to do that.

The numbers are definitely close, but basing it solely on the numbers without knowing what you know from watching the game is a dangerous game.

Edwards had a very bad game and displayed very weak leadership skills in a game that was still available for the taking with under 2 minutes to play. That's a huge negative in my book.
                  Thank you. One can make an argument from stats without watching a single game. Stats are bull****

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

First off, even if we find ourselves in a position to draft one of the top QBs there is no guarantee that we won't end up with Matt Leinart. Furthermore, just look at week 1 if you think the answer is solely on the QB:

The funny part is Flacco, Henne, Schaub won and Ryan lost in overtime. They have complete teams. We don't.

We suck at TE, our o-line is terrible, Evans is not a #1 elite WR, et.c, etc. etc.

We lose and you guys go on and on about the QB. Yes, Edwards didn't have a good game but he played better than the list above.

So when we draft a top guy and we pay 100 millions dollars for him and we still suck, than what?

I'd rather build the line lines and get some talent before we waste a pick on Matt Leinart.
                    Well if they draft an OT there is no guarantee they don't end up with a Mike Williams or Robert Gailery.

Comment

• Mad Max
                      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                      • Mar 2003

First off, even if we find ourselves in a position to draft one of the top QBs there is no guarantee that we won't end up with Matt Leinart.................
                      No there isn't, but we may end up with a guy who takes us to 3 Super Bowl victorys. One thing is certain, Trent isn't that guy.

Originally posted by HHURICANE
                      We are not talentless. Some of these guys are going to come around.

Originally posted by HHURICANE
                      First off, the new CBA is almost guaranteed to include a rookie salary cap, so the $100mm not going to happen. Secondly, we MUST take a chance on a QB...because it may not end with that position, but it most certainly begins with it.

Comment

• topher180
                        • Sep 2008

Well, you are way off base as usuall but at least you are consistent HH. You also stick to your guns so props to you on that (even if your guns misfire)

This is yet another thread that is disguised to sound factual and unbiased but really screams "Trent can do it! If only he (insert excuse) he would play better".

Your examples are skewed because they take only a small sample size when a lot of them have larger bodies of work. I started to break down how wrong this all is, but then I realized that it's not worth the effort because you will still post 10 threads a day of nonsense, and grasp at this idea that we don't need a real signal caller. Instead, I will just pose these simple questions...

What constitutes as a "complete" team? So, San Fran is complete? How so?

Your stats are from one game, thus leading to your claim that Edwards played better. What if you accounted for last season, factoring not just stats but also playoff appearances. Is Trent still "better" in that case? Has his career been better than Ryan or Flacco's?

Finally, by saying that we could spend tons of money on a first round QB pick next year, are you insinuating we just give up? Not ever draft a QB again a just hope we get lucky in FA or that one of our guys turns into a Pro Bowler overnight?

inĀ·ept
                        Adjective: Having or showing no skill; clumsy.

:historian:

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

You need a QB before you focus on the OL. Without a good QB, the OL doesn't matter. QB is by far the biggest part of a team's success...the Bills situation is no different. They need a QB and then they need to fix the OL...

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Bradford, Flacco, Henne, Schaub and Ryan all played better games than Edwards. Passer rating means absolutely nothing when comparing the performances of these QBs.

Yards per attempt is a much better measuring stick. It shows they completed passes downfield and for first downs. Granted none of these QBs had great days which would be over 7.5 ypa but they were much better than Edwards.

Flacco -- 6.5

Schaub -- 6.3

Ryan -- 5.7

Henne -- 5.4

Smith -- 5.0

Bradford -- 4.6

Edwards -- 4.1

On top of that, Flacco, Schaub, Ryan and Henne all played against the top pass defenses in the NFL (Jets, Colts, Steelers, Bills). Edwards played against one of the worst pass defenses in the Dolphins.

No one is saying a rookie QB will solve our problems. But a rookie QB is indeed part of the solution to becoming a respectable franchise at some point. Fans want to know if Brohm can be that guy, if not, we move on to the draft.

Now, if we had, say, Rodgers playing QB for the Bills, you better believe we would have won Sunday and we would probably reach at least 8-8 while developing the talent we have on offense and building a future. Trent is holding everyone's progress back and in some cases even regressing some of the offensive players progress.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

I bet dollars to doughnuts we could put in about 20 different QB's and we would have had more then 160 yds of offense last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X