PDA

View Full Version : Not long before Wood takes over @ C???

Mahdi
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Wood has been practicing again this week at C according to BB.com. Gailey said it was just precautionary keeping Hangartner out of practice but I have a feeling they are prepping Wood to take over at C permanently and having Urbik slide in at RG.

Combine that with Nix's comments that Levitre, Wood and Urbik were their 3 top rated interior linemen in the 09 draft and you can see where this is going.

I think they envision the future of the line as Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - Meredith. If Bell doesn't show signs of franchise LT this season then they will take one high in 2011.

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Wood has been practicing again this week at C according to BB.com. Gailey said it was just precautionary keeping Hangartner out of practice but I have a feeling they are prepping Wood to take over at C permanently and having Urbik slide in at RG.

Combine that with Nix's comments that Levitre, Wood and Urbik were their 3 top rated interior linemen in the 09 draft and you can see where this is going.

I think they envision the future of the line as Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - Meredith. If Bell doesn't show signs of franchise LT this season then they will take one high in 2011.

I don't think they envision the tackle position being filled with the players they currently have...or at least I hope they don't!

Mahdi
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think they envision the tackle position being filled with the players they currently have...or at least I hope they don't!
Those guys are still developing. They have good qualities to work with and I still think they can be good players.

OpIv37
09-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know anything about Urbik but I wouldn't mind seeing Hang on the bench. His inability to handle 3-4 NT's is one of the reasons why we fare so poorly in the division. Also, he rarely reaches the 2nd level on running plays.

better days
09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know anything about Urbik but I wouldn't mind seeing Hang on the bench. His inability to handle 3-4 NT's is one of the reasons why we fare so poorly in the division. Also, he rarely reaches the 2nd level on running plays.

Hang would make a good back up.

Nighthawk
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Hang would make a good back up.

When he was signed, I stated that he was no more then a backup and that's where he best fits.

wmoz11
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Well said. He's a decent enough starter, but in the AFC East you need a guy who can stone the beastly NTs. I think this is the reason he never gets to the second level; he's always got all he can handle from the NT. When's the last time you saw this team break a run up the middle?

It's been awhile.

mysticsoto
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM

I really don't think Hangartner is a major issue at this point. Out of all the linemen this past week, he probably played the best. Levitre is probably our worst inside lineman, Green the worst Tackle. The priority is probably RT, LG, LT in terms of replacement - though this is assuming Bell is at and can stay at 100%. Yes, I consider Levitre more important to replace than Bell.

wmoz11
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Levitre will not be replaced for a long time. He will be fine. He's sandwiched between Bell and Hangartner - I don't expect him to work miracles right now.

Beebe's Kid
09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I guess I don't really consider Bell imperative to replace. He seemed to play well Sunday, and I'm willing to see if he works out.

Levitre...yeah, he's a huge problem. I will not tolerate a player having a bad game. He is now a priority to replace.

Hang is a backup.

The way Nix spoke about Green...I don't think he is long for the world.

I know everybody is stoked about Urbik, but didn't he get cut by a team with a keen eye for talent, that desperately needs help on the O-Line...that also happened to take him with a fairly high pick?

I am not saying he won't work out, but the same people getting excited about him would be sure he is a waste because of the above mentioned information.

acehole
09-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I was watching that...I put bell on right and meridith on left and let them gel...

Those are top 5 imho.

justasportsfan
09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree. Whats up with Wang though? His injury is taking forever to heal.

Mahdi
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree. Whats up with Wang though? His injury is taking forever to heal.
I don't think Wang is a franchise type OT. I think he is good depth at most.

madness
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Hangartner back (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/16/hangartner-back/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2010-09-16T12:35:16+0000"> September 16, 2010 – 12:35 pm </abbr> </small>

Bills starting C Geoff Hangartner is back practicing with his teammates.
Hangartner missed practice Wednesday due to a minor ankle injury.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I like your Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - Meredith

But I want to draft a LT or sign one in FA. Bell is a backup not a Franchise LT

justasportsfan
09-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think Wang is a franchise type OT. I think he is good depth at most.

He was drafted higher than Bell yet you list Bell at LT. Not saying where you are drafted means anything but if Bell can succeed maybe Wang can but we don't know that until he plays. You don't need franchise OT to have a decent OL.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Didn't Hangartner play tackle a bit with Carolina, or am I mistaken?

justasportsfan
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Didn't Hangartner play tackle a bit with Carolina, or am I mistaken?
guard I think

kingJofNYC
09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Urbik was probably top three on their board after Alex Mack was drafted. We're getting way too worked up over Urbik, the Steelers have a poor OL and got rid of him after a year. He's depth, nothing more at this point.

People are trying to turn him into an everyday starter, a RT no less in some cases, without ever watching him play a down.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah, he's just our best lineman right now. Bench him.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah, he's just our best lineman right now. Bench him.

Wood and Levitre are our best

kingJofNYC
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Levitre looked great on that holding call that nullified Nelson's big gain.

Wood/Levitre are still young, they're are most promising linemen, but lets not get ahead of ourselves by anointing them the best.

EDS
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM

I think it is a challenge to envision two young players cut by the teams that drafted them (i.e., Meredith and Urbik) being able to turn around their careers such that they become starters on a new team in short order.

I am not saying it couldn't happen, just it is unlikely and I would want a back-up plan at least.

Night Train
09-18-2010, 05:56 AM
If Wood is at C, then he's hiking the ball to his best friend Brohm.

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Wood to C, Hang to Guard, Wang to RT, then your right side is Hang and Wang

Jan Reimers
09-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Hangartner has played well. Urbik has not been good enough to even make anybody's roster. And some of you want Hangartner benched, Wood to Center and Urbik in at starting Guard? Jesus. Unbelievable.

Mahdi
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Hangartner has played well. Urbik has not been good enough to even make anybody's roster. And some of you want Hangartner benched, Wood to Center and Urbik in at starting Guard? Jesus. Unbelievable.
I didn't say I wanted anything... I am only suggesting that this might be the future based on comments from Nix. He seems to really like the fact that they got him and it seems its not only for depth.